• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Snah said:

I love how all the PS3 titles are already blockbusters in your eyes. 2007 was supposed to have a similar line-up of blockbusters (Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Lair, Ratchet etc.) but they simply didn't deliver to anywhere near the level you were predicting (and yeah I do know what you were saying).

NeoUltima

TJ Spyke said:
Barack Obama was predicted to beat Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire. :lol

Predictions can be (and frequently are) wrong. I learned long ago not to expect something to sell a certain amount since it's not a gurantee. Those who were precting higher (likely for our monthly prediction) may be dissapointed, but neither Xbox 360 nor Wii had low sales numbers. PS3 seems pretty low though, both hardware and software wise.
Still doesn't change the fact that they are disappointing when compared to the predictions. If I expected to get paid $50 an hour at a new job, but only got $40, I would be disappointed. $40 is still a good amount of money, but it doesn't get rid of the disappointment of not getting what I expected.

avaya

DS :lol :lol

How is PS2 still breaking 1mn?

PS3 will never be better than 3rd place in America, in 2008 they could maybe close the weekly gap somewhat given their lineup and Blu-ray starting to show value.

puebla

Snah said:
So, you don't believe that when titles like MGS4, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, etc. launch that they will outsell many 360 titles? I think that's a given.
nothing is a given with the ps3. the software sales are terrible. also you really do sound like you work for sony pr.

Miniboss1232 said:
Yeah. You might want to remember that the Wii still hasn't surpassed the 360 in the US, which is what the NPD numbers are for. Wii hardware is still about 1.5 to 2 million behind the 360 in the US. We all know the 360 is a software monster.

I didn't know that but the Wii overtaking the 360 in North America is pretty much a given. I just can't help but wonder if someone tucked away in a back office at Ninty HQ is concerned over large the disparity between consoles sold and software sold.

...or...maybe it doesn't matter. who knows?

One way or another, things are going to be really fuckin' interesting eighteen to twenty-four months from now. There's gonna be a whole lotta "Told you so's"... coming from one or two of the three "console camps".

B E N K E

test_account said:
About 323k in USA, 38k in Japan, 100k+ in UK and lets say 100k for the rest of Europe and Australia. Thats about 561k worldwide for Uncharted. I guess it broke even atleast. But the sales doesnt stop there of course. I guess it can reach somehwat 750k LTD worldwide.

That's very conservative in my opinion. Uncharted will remain one of the top selling PS3 games during Q1 and then we have platinum sales to take into account. It will do a million in its lifetime, probably before the end of 2008.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I just realized that the Wii (14 months) is ~90K ahead of where the PS2 was at the end of 2001 (15 months). :D

WingM@n

X360 is going to be the lead platform well into 2009, devs simply want to make money, and the X360 software sales are amazing.
Wii sales are very good, although 3rd party games aren't doing much.
PS3 sales aren't good, software sales horrible this far in the PS3's lifetime. A shame because it has so much potential.

tjhooker

Banned
Snah said:
Yup. You nailed it. PS3 looked to be doomed when it only managed to sell 70k monthly. That was certainly its lowest point. They've managed to address the issues the best they could this holiday season, and managed to sell decently. 800k versus 1.1 million last year when Microsoft stuffed Xbox 360s down the retail channel. That's only 300k, and back then the 360 had a blockbuster exclusive with Gears of War and virtually no competition due to supply constraints for both the PS3 and Wii.

Remember, we heard for months about how the PS3 had no good games this Christmas. We still hear it. And, at the same time, we have people claiming that the Xbox 360 had the best lineup in the history of gaming (not only from Peter Moore, but also the head of many news outlets such as GameTrailers).

So, let me get this straight:

A. PS3 has no good games.

B. Xbox 360 has the best lineup in the history of gaming.

C. Xbox 360 is significantly cheaper than PS3.

So, again, why is it surprising that the Xbox 360 is outselling the PS3 if this is the perception amongst gamers? If you haven't jumped into next-gen yet, and you wanted to this Christmas, based upon the respective lineups which would you choose? This isn't rocket science. What's more surprising to me is that the 360 wasn't able to outsell the PS3 by more than it did.

So now let's actually look at the picture for 2008, where the 360 basically looks to have very few blockbuster titles (i.e., "no good games" in the minds of the collective internet meme divisions), and even those blockbuster titles may not sell all that well (who knows if Banjo will take off on a system that caters towards hardcore FPS fanatics), and the PS3 looks to have title after title consisting of exclusive blockbusters hits that cater directly towards the shooter-centric market we're currently in. Couple that with free online, dedicated servers, a title which boasts of 8 player co-op and 60 player multi; which console are they going to choose? For those that already own an Xbox 360, they're going to need a PS3 because the PS3 caters to their needs; for those that haven't jumped in yet, the PS3 has a much stronger library of titles and better bang for your buck in terms of hardware.

So, you don't believe that when titles like MGS4, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, etc. launch that they will outsell many 360 titles? I think that's a given.

Nailed it.

The PS3 at $200 more and no system sellers has managed to keep pace with the 360's best year.

In face of Halo 3 and its $100M+ marketing campaign.

In the face of competition from HD-DVD.

In the face of a smaller library of games, crappy multiplatform ports, steep price tag, and a constant stream of negative press in the gaming media.

With all that going for 360 and going against PS3, anyone that doesn't think only outselling PS3 by ~400K is anything but disastrous for 360 is in for a rude awakening in 2008.

squatingyeti said:
You assume the PS3 has been outselling the 360 worldwide at all? You think it was outselling it since before December of last year? Now that's funny, how did it do that?

So, what do you want? Let's say they outsell them, on average, 1M a year. They'll catch up in ~6. Good job. I'm being very reasonable in my statements, you're the only crazy one that insists the 360 will be a "distant" third.
Even if his crazy theorie indeed happens (it wont but lets just assume it), Sony loses, no matter what, from the dominant first since the PS1, to a close third or second. The competition in this generation did more things right than Sony, they took away their market share, and instead of fighting and trying to maintain that strong position, sony unleashed "599" on the world, like they wanted to doom themselves.

Sony loses no matter what. They loose market share compared to PS2 and PS1. They loose profit compared to PS2 and PS1. Nintendo gains compared to N64 and GC, Microsoft gains compared to Xbox 1.

Everything thats happening in the Sales Threads, and every PR from Sony about the successful PS Family and = damage control.

Frillen

4c0es7ruy9.jpg

Phan!

Xirj

Sony is so damn lucky that their PS2 is selling. The profits off that are definetly keeping their gaming division healthy.

beef3483

bigdaddygamebot said:
I didn't know that but if the Wii overtaking the 360 in North America is pretty much a given. I just can't help but wonder if someone tucked away in a back office at Ninty HQ is concerned over large disparity between consoles sold and software sold.

I think they are trying to work out one thing before focusing on the other.

Even then, Wii sales, even third party games, aren't that bad.

lockload

Seriously unless sony pays moneyhats why would a 3rd party developer develop on ps3 for sod all return on investment..i think its time for ps3 owner to settle in to 360 ports

jett

D-Member
This is the first NPD thread I've followed in months.

Man, this shit sucks without the software side.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Rlan said:
Yikes @ Nights.

Though I think it has more to do with nobody trusting Sonic Team at ALL now.

Yikes? It didn't do that bad. It's NiGHTS. It's a niche hardcore gamer title. No one else cares or knows it exists.

Snah said:

Of course they'll outsell "many" 360 titles. Even a mediocre-selling game will outsell "many" 360 titles.

Here, let me see if I can placate you: YES, the PS3 is doing better than it was. It's making something of a comeback.

But making a comeback doesn't mean it's going to be in 2nd place this year. It'll be a very tough fight for it to do that, even if Microsoft just coasts along with no reaction.

tjhooker said:
Nailed it.

The PS3 at $200 more and no system sellers has managed to keep pace with the 360's best year.

In the face of a smaller library of games, crappy multiplatform ports, steep price tag, and a constant stream of negative press in the gaming media.

With all that going for 360 and going against PS3, anyone that doesn't think only outselling PS3 by ~400K is anything but disastrous for 360 is in for a rude awakening in 2008.

So by what you're saying, why would anyone want to buy a PS3?

Chris FOM said:
Finally, a few notes about software. Call of Duty 4 continued to perform spectacularly, taking the top spot for the second month in a row. Mario Galaxy was number 2 again, but actually raised its sales by nearly 300,000 over November, while COD4 slipped 100,000. Expect Galaxy to continue to show legs over the rest of the Wii’s lifespan. Assassin’s Creed also had a great second month. The 360 version of Guitar Hero 3 returned to the top 10 after going missing in November, while the Wii version disappeared. Halo 3 continued to show an attach rate of better than 50%. Mario and Sonic gives the Wii its first million-selling third party title in the US alone (despite Mario’s presence, it’s a Sega game). The PS2 also made its presence known with the return of Madden 08 and the continued presence of GH 3 (the best-selling version of the game by far).

Incorrect.

The first million-selling third party title for Wii was Guitar Hero III.

ZeoVGM

Banned
tjhooker said:
Nailed it.

Most annoying joke character ever.

tjhooker said:

You do spout some bullshit. Joke accounts are supposed to be funny.

RJT

bigdaddygamebot said:
With the install base that the Wii has, one might think it would have walked all over the software sales charts.
XBox's install base is bigger than Wii's... (in NA, of course)

Top Bottom