• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
tjhooker said:
Nailed it.

The PS3 at $200 more and no system sellers has managed to keep pace with the 360's best year.

WTF is your definition of "keeping pace???

And you want to know the BIG GIGANTIC elephant in the room you and others are ignoring when it comes to comparing PS3 with 360 year 1 and 2? Software sales, which on the PS3 are absolutely atrocious.

GhaleonEB

tjhooker said:
Nailed it.

The PS3 at $200 more and no system sellers has managed to keep pace with the 360's best year.
Hmmm.

In Nov-Dec, the 360 outsold the PS3 by 766k, or 61%
In Jan-Dec, the 360 outsold the PS3 by 2.1m, or 81%

That's "keeping pace"?

Snah

Banned
Why do people keep touting games that haven't been announced for 2008 on the xbox 360, and are unlikely to come out for the system in 2008?

Gears of War 2? Mass Effect 2?

What, should I also expect Halo 4 to come out next year as well, or am I missing something?

Meier

_leech_ said:
As long as it's enough (worldwide) for Naughty Dog to break even or make some money and develop a sequel.

You expect 323k or even a million is enough for a game that was in development for years on the PS3 is enough to break even? Not likely.

Great news about Rock Band.. obviously uhh WELL short of the GH3 juggernaut, but very, very solid given its insane jump-in price.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Wii 1.35 million 6.29 million
Nintendo DS 2.47 million 8.50 million

Holy Freaking shit!!!!

PlayStation 3 797.6 K 2.56 million

Damn, I hate being on the losing team. Hopefully next year will be better.

Loudninja said:
No one has Canada numbers?

You really don't want to know them. It will make you realize that we're really not all that critical in the Kon5oL W4RZ of 200X.

Generally, we're pretty similar to the States as far as the rankings of the games go...

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Hellraizer said:
Even if his crazy theorie indeed happens (it wont but lets just assume it), Sony loses, no matter what, from the dominant first since the PS1, to a close third or second. The competition in this generation did more things right than Sony, they took away their market share, and instead of fighting and trying to maintain that strong position, sony unleashed "599" on the world, like they wanted to doom themselves.

Sony loses no matter what. They loose market share compared to PS2 and PS1. They loose profit compared to PS2 and PS1. Nintendo gains compared to N64 and GC, Microsoft gains compared to Xbox 1.

Everything thats happening in the Sales Threads, and every PR from Sony about the successful PS Family and = damage control.

I bet tjhooker or snah will never admit to that. To them, Sony has lost nothing this gen, can lose nothing, and will be the dominate company for the 3rd generation in a row. Fanboyism outweighs facts in their minds.

test_account

XP-39C²
B E N K E said:
That's very conservative in my opinion. Uncharted will remain one of the top selling PS3 games during Q1 and then we have platinum sales to take into account. It will do a million in its lifetime, probably before the end of 2008.

Ye, i guess it can do better than 750k, but that was just a guess from my side. I'm sure it will keep on selling for a few months more atleast and then you have (most likely atleast) a platinum release so it can indeed reach a million :) But even with "only" 750k, i would assume they made some profit on it atleast.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Spire said:
PS3 software is looking dire. Not a single PS3 game could crack the Top 10? Multiplatform games are cleaning up on the 360 and the price drop hasn't helped apparently.
With BR gaining momentum and PS3 being one of the best BR players out there, you will not see PS3 software follow the PS3 hardware as closely as you would expect.

squatingyeti said:
I bet tjhooker or snah will never admit to that. Fanboyism outweighs facts in their minds.
Well, in that case, whats only left is making jokes about them ;)

To them, Sony has lost nothing this gen, can lose nothing, and will be the dominate company for the 3rd generation in a row.
07-minister.jpg

Snah said:
Why do people keep touting games that haven't been announced for 2008 on the xbox 360, and are unlikely to come out for the system in 2008?

What, should I also expect Halo 4 to come out next year as well, or am I missing something?

This month, like every other month, proves they don't need exclusives like you assume they do. COD4, on 360 alone, was the highest selling title of December 2007.

It nailed the first place spot.

tjhooker said:
With all that going for 360 and going against PS3, anyone that doesn't think only outselling PS3 by ~400K is anything but disastrous for 360 is in for a rude awakening in 2008.

:lol :lol

Oh god this is just too much. Glad the hammer fell on you.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Snah said:
PS3 sales are quite strong. The numbers for the entire month of all hardware (sans the DS) look a bit low, however.

360, in its third Christmas season and with Halo 3 and other exclusives, only managed to outsell the PS3 by 460k with the lowest price point of entry being significantly lower than the PS3, and the PS3's most adopted model being the $499 version. Looking at it in terms of revenue, the PS3 outsold the Wii.

Pretty impressive numbers for the PS3, that's definitely sure. Now, given the sales gap in the US, it's pretty much guaranteed that worldwide the PS3 is outselling the 360. 2008 is where, in North America, PS3 starts outselling the 360 (especially as we get closer to the fall), barring any significant pricedrops by Microsoft.

:lol :lol :lol

antiloop said:
This is getting really old. Just as old as "XB360 shooter/racing box lolz". If you know what I mean.

I mean, I know it's not true. The PS3 has some great games. But it's like he's trying to win his argument by saying the PS3 doesn't have anything going for it, yet it's still "keeping pace" with the 360.

These fanboys will try to win at whatever cost. Logic be damned!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Snah said:

... Um.

Gears of War 2 is almost definitely coming out in fall 2008.

Stop pretending you know what you're talking about.

GH status could save Uncharted. That's how Jak and GoW became bigger hits. Hell, GH status could help a lot of these PS3 games as long as they fit the criteria I guess.

Most annoying joke character ever.

:lol

C'mon, this thread wouldn't be nearly as entertaining without Snah and TJ's brand on insanity.

To be honest my only surprise is how much the shortages affected the Wii, so it is kind of a meh NPD really, especially without proper software numbers.

As long as folks like Snah are around, 2008 NPD's will be amusing regardless.

(neutral) tjhooker
Banned
(Today, 12:57 AM)

I'll miss the threads, but most of all, I'll miss the laughter.

Those are some mightily impressive numbers across the board, I don't know how 2008 will be able to surpass that, but GTA4 should provide an early start for what will hopefully be another bumper year.

Lobster

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
It'dprobably have to be "Virtua Cop in the Mushroom Kingdom" for it to sell on the Wii though. : /

Not at all :D Ghost Squad has sold well enough in Japan.

Virtua Cop could do better than Ghost Squad as its more recognized.

fernoca

Meier said:
You expect 323k or even a million is enough for a game that was in development for years on the PS3 is enough to break even? Not likely.
Well, the game costed between $15-$20 million..and at this moment it has around $30 million in sales (around 500k units sold worldwide at around $60)..so it seems to be doing quite good (financially)..but who knows..

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
(neutral) tjhooker
Banned
(Today, 04:57 PM)
Reply | Quote

Good fucking riddance.

duk

Banned
1. Wii: make more, ship more
2. 360: lower price, keep on making it more reliable
3. PS3: drop the freaking price asap, need more good games

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Miniboss1232 said:
I mean, I know it's not true. The PS3 has some great games. But it's like he's trying to win his argument by saying the PS3 doesn't have anything going for it, yet it's still "keeping pace" with the 360.

These fanboys will try to win at whatever cost. Logic be damned!

You don't wanna lose either =P

sonycowboy said:
HW Sales
System December 2007 Annual 2007
PlayStation 2 1.1 million 3.97 million
PlayStation 3 797.6 K 2.56 million
PlayStation Portable 1.06 million 3.82 million
Xbox 360 1.26 million 4.62 million
Wii 1.35 million 6.29 million
Nintendo DS 2.47 million 8.50 million

[NDS]1,900,000 -570,000
[Wii]1,750,000 +400,000
[360]1,080,000 -180,000
[PSP]980,000 -80,000
[PS2]850,000 -260,000
[PS3]775,000 -22,600
[GBA]200,000

dang, pretty close on a couple, but i pretty much screwed the pooch there.

Rice-Eater said:
GH status could save Uncharted. That's how Jak and GoW turned into megahits. Hell, GH status could help a lot of these PS3 games as long as they fit the criteria I guess.

Isn't the requirement to be a "Greatest Hit" is to sell a million?

Snah

Banned
squatingyeti said:
I bet tjhooker or snah will never admit to that. To them, Sony has lost nothing this gen, can lose nothing, and will be the dominate company for the 3rd generation in a row. Fanboyism outweighs facts in their minds.

No matter what happens, Sony wins due to the money they will look to make from Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray profits/sales dwarf videogame sales. So, even if Sony is 'doomed' to 2nd place, honestly, who cares? Sonycowboy posted the figures in the thread in the OT forum. They are massive.

If Sony is a solid 2nd place, how is that a failure when the platform will churn out amazing titles?

Last I checked, I'm still getting Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Devil May Cry 4, Gran Theft Auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Team ICO titles, and Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy versus XIII.

As a gamer, do you think I care that they're not outselling the competition, even though they're currently priced the highest? Given these sales figures, PS3 obviously isn't doomed. It's not dreamcasted or Saturn'd. It's a viable platform globally.

For Sony as a company, do you think they care? They just won the next-gen media battle, and will take in billions in profit over the next 10 years because of it. Videogames these days, with their ridiculous budgets, are a losing proposition for the most part. Sony went for the cash, and because of it, we'll see more PS3 development. So, as a gamer, I don't think I'll honestly mind that they may be doomed to 2nd place so long as I get the games that I want.

legend166

Any chance we could get a % breakdown of software sold on each platform? I'd like to see how it correlates to the overall hardware sales.

Snah said:
No matter what happens, Sony wins due to the money they will look to make from Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray profits/sales dwarf videogame sales. So, even if Sony is 'doomed' to 2nd place, honestly, who cares? Sonycowboy posted the figures in the thread in the OT forum. They are massive.

If Sony is a solid 2nd place, how is that a failure when the platform will churn out amazing titles?

Last I checked, I'm still getting Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Devil May Cry 4, Gran Theft Auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Team ICO titles, and Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy versus XIII.

As a gamer, do you think I care that they're not outselling the competition, even though they're currently priced the highest? Given these sales figures, PS3 obviously isn't doomed. It's not dreamcasted or Saturn'd. It's a viable platform globally.

For Sony as a company, do you think they care? They just won the next-gen media battle, and will take in billions in profit over the next 10 years because of it. Videogames these days, with their ridiculous budgets, are a losing proposition. Sony went for the cash, and because of it, we'll see more PS3 development.

You need to join tjhooker in bansville.

Rolf NB

schuelma said:
WTF is your definition of "keeping pace???

And you want to know the BIG GIGANTIC elephant in the room you and others are ignoring when it comes to comparing PS3 with 360 year 1 and 2? Software sales, which on the PS3 are absolutely atrocious.
Its install base is roughly a third, and at least in November its software sales were also roughly a third. A third of the #1's sales this month are not sufficient to appear in the top ten, so we really don't know. Not knowing is not a strong argument for calling something "atrocious".

Wow, time to bail out.

This site is hilarious, but not in a good way. I kind of hope PS3 will start outselling GameCube so the Sony guys can start being rational again.

legend166

Snah said:

For Sony as a company, do you think they care? They just won the next-gen media battle, and will take in billions in profit over the next 10 years because of it. Videogames these days, with their ridiculous budgets, are a losing proposition. Sony went for the cash, and because of it, we'll see more PS3 development.

this is a sales thread

Zzoram

fernoca said:
Well, the game costed between $15-$20 million..and at this moment it has around $30 million in sales (around 500k units sold worldwide at around $60)..so it seems to be doing quite good (financially)..but who knows..

$60 isn't what they earn per game. It's more like $45 after retailer cut, then a $10 cut for Sony, so $35 per game. I'm assuming Sony paid for their TV commercials/marketing so we won't subtract that.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Isn't the requirement to be a "Greatest Hit" is to sell a million?

I believe it's actually 400k. However, it's more of a "what do we feel like dropping the price on". I imagine in a year, they'll Greatest Hit-notize it.

Also, I'm wondering what the Greatest Hits price will be for PS3 games? Will it still be at the magic $20?

Top Bottom