• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Snah said:
No matter what happens, Sony wins due to the money they will look to make from Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray profits/sales dwarf videogame sales. So, even if Sony is 'doomed' to 2nd place, honestly, who cares? Sonycowboy posted the figures in the thread in the OT forum. They are massive.

If Sony is a solid 2nd place, how is that a failure when the platform will churn out amazing titles?

Last I checked, I'm still getting Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Devil May Cry 4, Gran Theft Auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Team ICO titles, and Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy versus XIII.

As a gamer, do you think I care that they're not outselling the competition, even though they're currently priced the highest? Given these sales figures, PS3 obviously isn't doomed. It's not dreamcasted or Saturn'd. It's a viable platform globally.

For Sony as a company, do you think they care? They just won the next-gen media battle, and will take in billions in profit over the next 10 years because of it. Videogames these days, with their ridiculous budgets, are a losing proposition. Sony went for the cash, and because of it, we'll see more PS3 development.

blu ray movie sales were something abysmally low compared to DVD for certain titles over the holidays. like 1% OF DVD sales in some cases. sony hasnt won jack shit and wont anytime soon.

GhaleonEB

Side Note:

Last year it became clear quickly that MS had stuffed the channel pretty well. One of the big questions when they announced last week that they had shipped 4.3m WW in Q4 was whether they had done it again this year. Quick comparison:

Code:
         Q4 WW Shipped    Q4 NPD      Delta 
2006     4,500            1,861       2,639 
2007     4,300            2,396       1,904 
Delta 	 (200)           535         (735)

They shipped 200k fewer units WW in Q4, and sold 535k more in the US, so at the very least there is a net 735k fewer units added to the channel world-wide this year compared to last.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Rice-Eater said:
GH status could save Uncharted. That's how Jak and GoW became bigger hits. Hell, GH status could help a lot of these PS3 games as long as they fit the criteria I guess.
While I agree, the PS3 would need a much larger installed base before it would make a huge difference. The people who are spending the money on the PS3 (previously $600, now $400-500) are not the same people who wait to buy a game at $20 (although I bet it'll be $30 like on the 360).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
bcn-ron said:
Its install base is roughly a third, and at least in November its software sales were also roughly a third. A third of the #1's sales this month are not sufficient to appear in the top ten, so we really don't know. Not knowing is not a strong argument for calling something "atrocious".

I'm talking about comparing PS3's first year to 360's first year software wise. Pretty sure 360 blows it out of the water.

RBH

tjhooker
Banned
(Today, 07:57 PM)
Reply | Quote

Houshmanzadah.gif

Nolan.

Snah said:
No matter what happens, Sony wins due to the money they will look to make from Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray profits/sales dwarf videogame sales. So, even if Sony is 'doomed' to 2nd place, honestly, who cares? Sonycowboy posted the figures in the thread in the OT forum. They are massive.

If Sony is a solid 2nd place, how is that a failure when the platform will churn out amazing titles?

Last I checked, I'm still getting Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Devil May Cry 4, Gran Theft Auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Team ICO titles, and Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy versus XIII.

As a gamer, do you think I care that they're not outselling the competition, even though they're currently priced the highest? Given these sales figures, PS3 obviously isn't doomed. It's not dreamcasted or Saturn'd. It's a viable platform globally.

For Sony as a company, do you think they care? They just won the next-gen media battle, and will take in billions in profit over the next 10 years because of it. Videogames these days, with their ridiculous budgets, are a losing proposition for the most part. Sony went for the cash, and because of it, we'll see more PS3 development. So, as a gamer, I don't think I'll honestly mind that they may be doomed to 2nd place so long as I get the games that I want.

Yeah, exactly snah... (> >)

Frillen

Snah said:

For Sony as a company, do you think they care? They just won the next-gen media battle, and will take in billions in profit over the next 10 years because of it. Videogames these days, with their ridiculous budgets, are a losing proposition for the most part. Sony went for the cash, and because of it, we'll see more PS3 development. So, as a gamer, I don't think I'll honestly mind that they may be doomed to 2nd place so long as I get the games that I want.

You guys said this thread had no spinning.

So confused.

Snah said:

I just wanted to point this out... So you WANT to go with the company that thinks that games are a losing proposition?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Glad to see Uncharted staying afloat. Obviously sales are very disappointing, but at least it grew in Dec instead of fading...

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Snah said:
Blu-Ray profits/sales dwarf videogame sales.

You sure about that? Got proff?

Snah said:
So, even if Sony is 'doomed' to 2nd place, honestly, who cares?

Who said they would be 2nd? Looks like 3rd to me.

Schmev

Banned
Snah said:

For Sony as a company, do you think they care? They just won the next-gen media battle, and will take in billions in profit over the next 10 years because of it. Videogames these days, with their ridiculous budgets, are a losing proposition. Sony went for the cash, and because of it, we'll see more PS3 development.

Snah gets it. I think the rest of you humanoids have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm getting 1 of the titles Snah has mentioned. That will show everyone. I might get one of them.

I might just watch some blu-ray movies. Not sure what game I will buy.

Miniboss1232 said:
Also, I'm wondering what the Greatest Hits price will be for PS3 games? Will it still be at the magic $20?

I highly fuckin' doubt it.

If they did...that'd be great for the install base but I doubt they'd make much of a profit...not sure.

Umbrella Chronicles is now at about 515k for US+Japan, and it appears the game has solid legs in both regions.

The projected WW was 620k.

Since the 515k doesn't factor in European sales, Capcom should definitely pass their projected sales for the game.

Chemo

Man, do people really think these PS3 sales are that bad? I don't own a single game for my PS3 that isn't multiplatform (I only own a paltry four titles altogether), and outside of a medium interest in Uncharted, I can honestly say that I thought ALL of the PS3's exclusives in 2007 looked terrible.

It's still very much an issue of "PS3 has no games," because outside of some B- and C-level exclusives, the only thing it really has going for it are multiplatform titles... which, more often than not, are technically inferior to the 360 version due to shoddy porting.

I'm not exactly sure why people think the PS3 is in so much freaking trouble when it's managed to sell this well at a ridiculously high price with practically no compelling reason to even own one outside of a fledgling high definition movie format. Everyone who thinks it's just going to bend over and take one all year long are in for some epic meltdowns in the next year.

They shipped 200k fewer units WW in Q4, and sold 535k more in the US, so at the very least there is a net 735k fewer units added to the channel this year compared to last.

And the stories of Arcade's and Halo 3 consoles sitting in piles while the Premium and Elites are short would likely account for a sizable chunk of what is left.

fernoca

Zzoram said:
$60 isn't what they earn per game. It's more like $45 after retailer cut, then a $10 cut for Sony, so $35 per game. I'm assuming Sony paid for their TV commercials/marketing so we won't subtract that.
Still put it at around $17.5 million..which is in line to "break even"..at least the development costs...advertising, etc. are an additional budget (as in movies, not usually addded to the production/development ..like in Halo 3 how they spent more in advertising than in the actual development of the game)

avaya

Snah said:
For Sony as a company, do you think they care?

Maybe Ohga didn't care.

Maybe Idei didn't care.

Maybe Ando didn't care.

Maybe Chubachi doesn't care.

But Stringer sure cares. He has declared war on any division letting the side down.

SEL (66%) is back. SPE (10%) has been rocking since 2002. SCEI(10%) is fucking it up.

No one wants to lose money.

Rand al Thor 19

Snah said:

9287990f-f85e-40d1-90f3-8a56962f4a0d.jpg

Schmev said:
Snah gets it. I think the rest of you humanoids have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm getting 1 of the titles Snah has mentioned. That will show everyone. I might get one of them.

I might just watch some blu-ray movies. Not sure what game I will buy.

gets what? have you seen HD movie sales figures compared to DVD over the holidays? its a laughable slaughter and looks downright scary for HD movies on disc format taking off anytime soon.

phez

Banned
Canadian numbers plz. 800k for the PS3 in america is a joke, but from what I've see around up here during the holidays, the PS3 should've hopefully done quite well.

Norml

PS2 has to die even though it still sells good imo. It has to be taking a good percent away from PS3,say at least 500k more consoles could have went to PS3.

schuelma

Crisis said:
Everything did pretty damn great. I wish that all the fanboys would somehow mysteriously disappear.

"Everyone's special dasch"

"Which is just another way of saying nobody is"

Goes to show once again that software..quality software i should is the key to selling consoles. 360 has two huge sellers on hand.. i cant believe they sold close to 4 million copies of cod4 on the 360 platform alone.

This is a cash crop for Infinity Ward.. and i dont even know what the pc version sold, holy schnikies batman

ZeoVGM

Banned
My favorite part about delusional fanboys is that they argue the PS3 is doing great...

Then when people call out their insanity, they say they don't care about sales and "well, it has all these games I'm looking forward to!"

Yet.. it's a SALES THREAD. The conversation is ABOUT SALES.

When you resort to that type of argument, you lost.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Chemo said:
Man, do people really think these PS3 sales are that bad? I don't own a single game for my PS3 that isn't multiplatform (I only own a paltry four titles altogether), and outside of a medium interest in Uncharted, I can honestly say that I thought ALL of the PS3's exclusives in 2007 looked terrible.

It's still very much an issue of "PS3 has no games," because outside of some B- and C-level exclusives, the only thing it really has going for it are multiplatform titles... which, more often than not, are technically inferior to the 360 version due to shoddy porting.

I'm not exactly sure why people think the PS3 is in so much freaking trouble when it's managed to sell this well at a ridiculously high price with practically no compelling reason to even own one outside of a fledgling high definition movie format. Everyone who thinks it's just going to bend over and take one all year long are in for some epic meltdowns in the next year.

That's one hell of a stealth troll.

MobiusPigeon said:
gets what? have you seen HD movie sales figures compared to DVD over the holidays? its a laughable slaughter and looks downright scary for HD movies on disc format taking off anytime soon.

psst. sarcasm.

fernoca said:
Still put it at around $17.5 million..which is in line to "break even"..at least the development costs...advertising, etc. are an additional budget (as in movies, not usually addded to the production/development ..like in Halo 3 how they spent more in advertising than in the actual development of the game)

Companies don't make games to break even. Naughty Dog deserves better though. Hopefully it will stay consistent.

gkryhewy

Snah said:
As a gamer, do you think I care that they're not outselling the competition, even though they're currently priced the highest?

Hans, it's pretty apparent that you care a whole helluva lot, actually.

Pug

Keeping pace over the Xmas period for me would mean selling 1:1. No matter which way you look at the PS3 lost more ground to the other consoles although it did so at a slightly slower pace.

_Alkaline_ said:
Umbrella Chronicles is now at about 515k for US+Japan, and it appears the game has solid legs in both regions.

The projected WW was 620k.

Since the 515k doesn't factor in European sales, Capcom should definitely pass their projected sales for the game.

Very nice. UC2 here we come!! Now with 100% more RE2.

test_account

XP-39C²
Meier said:
You expect 323k or even a million is enough for a game that was in development for years on the PS3 is enough to break even? Not likely.

It sells at about $60 right? If it sells a million worldwide that is 60 million dollars income, but maybe there is a pricedrop etc. so lets say somewhat 45 million dollars (taken into account that it actually sells 1 million copies of course). I dont think it cost $45 million dollars to develope Uncharted.

schuelma

P.S fellow sales agers- Media Create numbers are up

Jonnyram

Wow, insane numbers... Cod4! I'll have to pick that up myself soon. Shame Mario couldn't end the year on a high note, but I'm sure it'll keep on selling for a long time to come.

Top Bottom