• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Frillen

Bookey said:
I think ps3 is the worst console ever sent out in the market cant believe some ppl were dumb enough to buy one when the 360 bests it in every way

I guess that's one way to do it. You could've just asked to get banned, you know.

-Rogue5-

Pretty much what everyone expected.

I'm actually kind of interested in seeing the WW numbers and total year-one comparisons. I thought I read something like the PS3 has caught up to the two year sales of the 360 in some places in Europe (France, Germany, or something... Maybe it was Australia.) I want the PS3 to be doing well enough to get most (if not all) of the first party sequels I was expecting out of the system. If it is, in fact, doing this bad throughout the world I'd hate to see something major get the axe (e.g. Team ICO's next project or something crazy like that.)

Rolf NB

schuelma said:
I'm talking about comparing PS3's first year to 360's first year software wise. Pretty sure 360 blows it out of the water.
Ah fair enough. I'm pretty sure I don't know jack shit about 2006 software sales.

Bookey said:
I think ps3 is the worst console ever sent out in the market cant believe some ppl were dumb enough to buy one when the 360 bests it in every way

:lol :lol :lol

Never change GAF. Please never change.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
ThatHurt said:
Face it.. Sony sold its playerbase out to solidify its bluray format
Good for them
Bad for gamers.

And despite some delusion infecting most of this forum, they haven't even done that yet.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Mr.Potato Head said:
what i cant figure out is seeing the ps3 doing so badly... after their rock'n ps1 and ps2 platforms.. its hard to imagine whats going on with ps3 right now..

It baffles me how bad sony has dropped the ball this generation... it sucks too because ps1 and ps2 had so so many kick ass games on those systems. I dont care what anyone says about ..oh there still Resistence 2 and Metel Gear,etc,etc.. alot of developers will and are dropping the ps3 platform as a lucrative platform to develop for..its not gonna get any better here on out for ps3..which is sad, it really upsets me too because the ps3 has alot of potential in its hardware and its hardly being tapped but by a small handful of dev's now days

Price and library in year one set the system off on the wrong path.

Now it's just further along down that path. 2008 should help, but in the overall picture, in terms of 3rd party support, I don't think see PS3 becoming parity with 360 ever this generation.

fernoca

test_account said:
True, but it is a 1st party game so they make more than a 3rd part game i assume. But lets say $30 income for each game, then its 30 million dollars. I doubt it cost 30 million dollars to develope Uncharted. I would assume somewere around 15 million dollars + -.
Yeah, I alreaady talked about this..
The game costed around $15-$20 million and right now, they have like $17.5 million back (around 500k units worldwide at $35 each)

donny2112 said:
PS3 is within expectations, but the 360 number is disappointing, in my opinion. If it's due to Premium shortages, it's not so bad, though.

Explain how 1.2 fricken million is a disappointment for one month of sales in a single region. Because right now you make no sense

Bookey said:

interesting opinion newsletter blah blah blah fuck off.

Mrbob

FiRez said:
Quality sells, what so crazy about it?
I would say that it deserves to sell more than H3

While I agree quality should sell, if you like at the sales of CoD2 (and even CoD2) there is no one who could have predicted the massive sales bump for CoD4. And I mean massive. CoD4 is obliterating the other titles in sales.

Speevy

Banned
Bookey said:

you don't have to tell me, I owned three.

FFChris

Subarushian said:
Apparently people live across the ocean, who knew? But they don't track vg sales so they don't matter.

I meant the using the Y for Yurope...instead of an E. Then again, I suppose you answer is the best I'll get from this thread. So thanks anyway!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
My hardware estimates WW LTD: Wii- 18.5M, 360- 15.1M, PS3- 8M

Like always, most of Europe is a guess, but these numbers should generally be pretty close. I'm sure donny's are better though ;)

Loudninja

NR Mass Effect (Xbox 360) 401,000 511,700 -21.63%
NR Mario Party DS (DS) 385,700 365,000 +5.67%
NR Uncharterd: Drake's Fortune (PS3) 206,000 139,900 +47.25%
NR Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) 147,600 134,400 +9.82%
NR Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS) 117,200 113,700 -3.08%
NR Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (PS3) 56,500 106,900 -47.15%
NR Nights: Journey of Dreams (Wii) 60,800 80,700 -24.66%
NR TimeShift (PS3) 25,000 32,000 -21.88%

yea!

test_account

XP-39C²
fernoca said:
Yeah, I alreaady talked about this..
The game costed around $15-$20 million and right now, they have like $17.5 million back (around 500k units worldwide at $35 each)

Ok :) Its too many posts here, i cant keep up with everyone hehe.

Digital-Hero said:
Explain how 1.2 fricken million is a disappointment for one month of sales in a single region. Because right now you make no sense

I suppose its the same way 1.3 million Wii sales is mind blowing. People see what they want to see.

Snah

Banned
chespace said:
Price and library in year one set the system off on the wrong path.

Now it's just further along down that path. 2008 should help, but in the overall picture, in terms of 3rd party support, I don't think see PS3 becoming parity with 360 ever this generation.

Errr...

3rd party support, at this stage, is essentially the same. And third parties aren't ignoring Europe and Japan, either.

It's not as though 3rd parties are going to abandon the PS3 platform. So, it's basically already at parity. I don't know what you're talking about.

I wonder how much more the Wii and 360 could have sold if they didn't have shortages on their respective consoles. All December I could only find those craptastic halo 3 360's.

I don't think the PS3 numbers are that bad for a system that lacks system defining games at this point. It keeps chugging along. I wish there was a way to know how many of them were sold as blu-ray players instead of gaming machines.

Snah said:
Errr...

3rd party support, at this stage, is essentially the same. And third parties aren't ignoring Europe and Japan, either.

It's not as though 3rd parties are going to abandon the PS3 platform. So, it's basically already at parity. I don't know what you're talking about.

I love this guy.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Digital-Hero said:

It had the games and price to do PS2-level sales.

giggas

Mr.Potato Head said:
what i cant figure out is seeing the ps3 doing so badly... after their rock'n ps1 and ps2 platforms.. its hard to imagine whats going on with ps3 right now..

Yeah, it's a little sad that Sony couldn't move a million units during Dec. I guess the thing is, most of their triple A titles didn't live up to their potential. Stuff like Heavenly Sword and Lair not being what they should hurt them. Meanwhile, something great like Uncharted didn't get the attention it deserved, and solid stuff like Folklore had zero advertising.

I think the PS3 is also... don't kill me for saying this... but too sophisticated for the masses. People just don't "get" Bluray or even what HD means in general. I've totally jumped onto the HD bandwagon over the summer, and I love BD. However, when I show people the difference between a movie in its DVD form and it's BD form, they don't really see the big deal. There's like a shoulder shrug and an "Ohhh, I guess that's cool." It's amazing how many people I know that own HDTVs that aren't using component cables for their DVD players and game consoles.

A friend of mine was playing Wii on a huge 50" HDTV and I told him he was a fool for not buying component cables. He told me that stuff didn't matter to him and it looked great on composite. I finally convinced him to purchase the cables and he was really happy with the way it looked. However, I know for a fact he's not using component for his DVDs. The odd thing is, he's usually a tech savy guy, and he's a huge movie buff, so to see someone like him not give a crap about HD, or BD is kind of strange. If he doesn't care, I highly doubt the masses give a shit. And it's not just movies, legacy titles look fantastic on PS3's with backwards compatibility, and the games are starting to arrive. PSN is also really good. The problem is, no one knows about that stuff.

The PS3 isn't an amazing game machine, but it is an amazing media center. People don't see that though. If there's a dude who just wants to play "sweet games with hot graphics" he'll likely get a 360. If they have almost zero interest in games, they'll want a Wii. I also know a bunch of people who went nuts for the Wii this Christmas and now that they have it they don't know what to do with it. When I tell them to get stuff like Mario and Metroid, they tell me they're not interested.

Anyway, hopefully things will start looking up for the PS3 this year. They can only go up from here.

Odysseus

Banned
Digital-Hero said:

well, i argued against him way back when, but here's where i argue for him.

ps2 in it's third december sold 2.7 million. it may have been the ps-freaking-2, and it may have been $199, but that's setting a high bar for holiday says. 2nd and 4th decembers, they were just south of 2 million. again, high bars. 360 isn't coming close.

put into perspective versus microsoft's own accomplishments, this is a record holiday. compared to the monster of the past generation, it's absolutely meh.

reilo said:
It had the games and price to do PS2-level sales.

slow down, son

Zzoram

mysticstylez said:
The DS isn't a console, and if you could read, he said "console".

Even if we don't count handhelds, the Wii has a good shot at beating the PS2. The PS2 achieved it's success by appealing to the hardcore and more casual gamers. Even so, most people wouldn't be caught dead holding a gamepad, whereas the Wii is ok in their books. I have seen so many girls/parents get into the Wii, whereas the majority of PS2's I know of were only being used by males 14-24 playing GTA.

Rolf NB

Mr.Potato Head said:

It baffles me how bad sony has dropped the ball this generation... it sucks too because ps1 and ps2 had so so many kick ass games on those systems. I dont care what anyone says about ..oh there still Resistence 2 and Metel Gear,etc,etc.. alot of developers will and are dropping the ps3 platform as a lucrative platform to develop for..its not gonna get any better here on out for ps3..which is sad, it really upsets me too because the ps3 has alot of potential in its hardware and its hardly being tapped but by a small handful of dev's now days
I can help you out. It's in third place, but itt did make up some marketshare in November, and some more in December, in the US, so the situation is improving. Software attach rates are pretty good already. Elsewhere in the world, the platform is doing better anyway.

Chumly

Holy shit this thread is awesome :lol :lol :lol

Lower Hardware numbers for EVERYONE than i thought (Except PS2). Software was absolutely amazing this month.

Zzoram said:
Even if we don't count handhelds, the Wii has a good shot at beating the PS2. The PS2 achieved it's success by appealing to the hardcore and more casual gamers. Even so, most people wouldn't be caught dead holding a gamepad, whereas the Wii is ok in their books. I have seen so many girls/parents get into the Wii, whereas the majority of PS2's I know of were only being used by males 14-24 playing GTA.

So the majority of people you know is accurate enough to make this assumption?

Nolan.

Snah said:
Errr...

Probabaly just talking about being the main focus platform.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Odysseus said:
slow down, son

I didn't imply that it should have :lol. My bad. I just meant that it could have done north of 1.5mil easy with what it has to offer.

Schmev

Banned
Once again, I'm just going to have to arrive at the same sad conclusion:

You are all Gay! You love your monthly sales updates! Get a life, you losers!

Honestly, I can't think of a single organism on this planet that deserves to be snuffed more than a console fanboy.

I really hope you enjoy your life. Lick a stamp to join a lawsuit! Lick a stamp to breathe fresh air! Lick a stamp to feel free!

You people are pathetic. You belong in a zoo.

Hah!

Turns out the Stupid Monkey metric was just about spot on with the Wii. I projected 1.6 million, and much later said It would probably be around the 1.4 million mark. Now I wish I would have went with the Stupid Monkey metric.

DS, Wii, and 360 all did very well. DS in particular. Wii and 360 should break the 10 million unit barrier this year in America.

Mario Galaxy and CoD4... well deserved success. All around great month for this industry I love.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Snah said:
For Sony, it's a feedback loop.

PS3 is important for getting Sony hardware into the homes of millions. They can do this with videogames and the playstation brand. So, it does have some worth indirectly, even if it takes a loss in that division. It allowed for them to win the next-gen media war that they otherwise would not have won. They will still continue to keep the Playstation brand going because of this in order to have a Sony presence as a a mainstay in homes.

Maybe they've won the next-gen HARD media format war, for whatever that's worth. I'm no expert but I was of the opinion that the heaving masses (people still buying those "old fashioned" DVDs) don't even realize (or care) there's a format war going on.

Seems to me like the war for digital delivery domination is just beginning.

Top Bottom