• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

giggas

8fuehds.gif

These numbers are pretty damn mind blowing. Nice to see Mario's still got it.

mj1108

AdmiralViscen said:
Wow, time to bail out.

This site is hilarious, but not in a good way. I kind of hope PS3 will start outselling GameCube so the Sony guys can start being rational again.

You know it's gotta be bad when outselling the GameCube is considered an accomplishment.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Snah said:
They just won the next-gen media battle, and will take in billions in profit over the next 10 years because of it.

I didn't realise the masses had adopted a next-gen media format.

man, I honestly didn't think the GAF had these sorts of characters when I joined. :lol

VALIS

IronicallyTwisted said:
Why is tjhooker banned and snah not?

Snah's logic may be completely cracked, but at least he keeps things relatively impersonal. tjhooker is just a trolling fiend with a long history.

gkrykewy said:
Hans, it's pretty apparent that you care a whole helluva lot, actually.

I was hoping someone would point out the irony. Also, you'd think a gamer would want to spend less on the hardware and more on the games.

ThatHurt

tjhooker said:
Nailed it.

The PS3 at $200 more and no system sellers has managed to keep pace with the 360's best year.

In face of Halo 3 and its $100M+ marketing campaign.

In the face of competition from HD-DVD.

In the face of a smaller library of games, crappy multiplatform ports, steep price tag, and a constant stream of negative press in the gaming media.

With all that going for 360 and going against PS3, anyone that doesn't think only outselling PS3 by ~400K is anything but disastrous for 360 is in for a rude awakening in 2008.

Point by point...
If lagging behind in the US is keeping pace with a name like "PLAYSTATION" on it is a good thing then the 360 outselling the PS3 is Megaton. And at best its 200 more.. at worse its 100 more or 40 dollars cheaper than the 360.

Halo3 sold more copies than ps3's, probably close to a billion dollars now and its TOTAL budget was 30 million (including marketing). Not including what people paid them to be attached to the Halo name.

HD-DVD on the 360 was never a factor in the "War" The fact that the PS3 is trying to sell itself as a blu-ray player brings me to the next point

AAA games on the 360 sells millions , AAA games on the PS3 sells 100,000's and blockbuster games struggle to sell more than 1 million. Check attach rate. Think people that buy it as a bluray player are buying games? Don't look like it to me.

The 360 outselling the PS3 in any month is "disastrous" for the PS name.
Let alone christmas.
For a few months you could say the PS3 was selling more than the 360 at launch but sony fans can't even use that crutch anymore. And 3rd party devs have to be thinking.. we made 40 mill (after stock/royalties) on 1 million sold but on the 360 a million seller on the PS3 would have been 5 million. How long can Sony keep exlusives when they can't pay enough to offset the loss in sales from the sofware, buy 2 cause I like the game, xbox fans?

Face it.. Sony sold its playerbase out to solidify its bluray format
Good for them
Bad for gamers.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Snah said:
No matter what happens, Sony wins due to the money they will look to make from Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray profits/sales dwarf videogame sales. So, even if Sony is 'doomed' to 2nd place, honestly, who cares? Sonycowboy posted the figures in the thread in the OT forum. They are massive.

If Sony is a solid 2nd place, how is that a failure when the platform will churn out amazing titles?

Last I checked, I'm still getting Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Devil May Cry 4, Gran Theft Auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Team ICO titles, and Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy versus XIII.

As a gamer, do you think I care that they're not outselling the competition, even though they're currently priced the highest? Given these sales figures, PS3 obviously isn't doomed. It's not dreamcasted or Saturn'd. It's a viable platform globally.

For Sony as a company, do you think they care? They just won the next-gen media battle, and will take in billions in profit over the next 10 years because of it. Videogames these days, with their ridiculous budgets, are a losing proposition for the most part. Sony went for the cash, and because of it, we'll see more PS3 development. So, as a gamer, I don't think I'll honestly mind that they may be doomed to 2nd place so long as I get the games that I want.

tell em why you mad son...

test_account said:
It sells at about $60 right? If it sells a million worldwide that is 60 million dollars income, but maybe there is a pricedrop etc. so lets say somewhat 45 million dollars (taken into account that it actually sells 1 million copies of course). I dont think it cost $45 million dollars to develope Uncharted.

Companies dont get the full 60 bucks for games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PS3 software sales make me vomit. It wouldn't even be such a big deal that it was selling like liquid feces if the software sold to a hardcore base that owned the machine. It's increasingly obvious the hardcore are the only ones that own PS3s, and generally they own 360s, so why bother with PS3 software.

Thank god for 360 supporting western developers.

beerbelly said:
3+ million for COD4 X360. That's more than Gears of War did in Christmas 2006 I'm assuming. Good job Infinity Ward.

Yet Activision is going to let Treyarch ruin the momentum by making COD5 a WW2 game. With sales this great Activision should have IW make COD5.

what i cant figure out is seeing the ps3 doing so badly... after their rock'n ps1 and ps2 platforms.. its hard to imagine whats going on with ps3 right now..

It baffles me how bad sony has dropped the ball this generation... it sucks too because ps1 and ps2 had so so many kick ass games on those systems. I dont care what anyone says about ..oh there still Resistence 2 and Metel Gear,etc,etc.. alot of developers will and are dropping the ps3 platform as a lucrative platform to develop for..its not gonna get any better here on out for ps3..which is sad, it really upsets me too because the ps3 has alot of potential in its hardware and its hardly being tapped but by a small handful of dev's now days

Leonsito

Woah, PS2 surpassed 40M and I didn't notice, and it will still sell 3 or 4 Million more without no doubt, that's insane, no other console will ever reach that.

What amazes me about the Wii, and little else strictly does with the questionable software sales (thank God Galaxy is selling well though, as it's basically the best fuckin' thing ever) that are the only valid excuse developers have for not giving it otherwise overdue attention, is that it sold 1.3 million despite sustained difficulties in simply getting the damn thing out the door. This thing sold 1.3 million blindfolded, basically, which makes me wonder what it could be doing if Nintendo fixed the production issues.

Nothing about the DS surprises me. Breaking records and total domination of the market are the fucking norm by now.

Everything else is kind of in line with what I expected except for Mario and Sonic. That took me by surprise.

Bookey

Professional Monk
I think ps3 is the worst console ever sent out in the market cant believe some ppl were dumb enough to buy one when the 360 bests it in every way

Zzoram

test_account said:
It sells at about $60 right? If it sells a million worldwide that is 60 million dollars income, but maybe there is a pricedrop etc. so lets say somewhat 45 million dollars (taken into account that it actually sells 1 million copies of course). I dont think it cost $45 million dollars to develope Uncharted.

Again, they don't earn $60 for each $60 game sale. Retailers buy the games for $40-45 depending on their purchasing power. Sony also gets a platform cut, plus in this case a publisher cut.

Snah

Banned
Miniboss1232 said:
I just wanted to point this out... So you WANT to go with the company that thinks that games are a losing proposition?

For Sony, it's a feedback loop.

PS3 is important for getting Sony hardware into the homes of millions. They can do this with videogames and the playstation brand. So, it does have some worth indirectly, even if it takes a loss in that division. It allowed for them to win the next-gen media war that they otherwise would not have won. They will still continue to keep the Playstation brand going because of this in order to have a Sony presence as a a mainstay in homes.

And, honestly, it's the same for Microsoft as well. Do you think that they enjoy losing billions upon billions each year with their gaming division? So far, they've NEVER been in the green. That may change in 2008 for them, but it cannot justify their past expenses. They're in it for the same reason Sony is: getting a box sitting under the television so that they can put forward other profitable initiatives.

The *ONLY* hardware company that is in the videogames business to make profit directly from the videogames business is Nintendo. And it's not like they've had to make sacrifices in order to make that happen, at least from a consumer's standpoint. They've had to rely on hardware that isn't cutting edge, and software with budgets that are nowhere near what we're seeing for some PS3/360 titles.

vilmer_

I came to check the initial post, and after browsing even a half a page after I... Some of you guys are just fucking ridiculous. I've never seen a generation take sides this badly in 20 years of console usage. The 3DO vs Jag era was amusing, this now is just absolutely laughable and annoying.

Snah said:
PS3 sales are quite strong. The numbers for the entire month of all hardware (sans the DS) look a bit low, however.

360, in its third Christmas season and with Halo 3 and other exclusives, only managed to outsell the PS3 by 460k with the lowest price point of entry being significantly lower than the PS3, and the PS3's most adopted model being the $499 version. Looking at it in terms of revenue, the PS3 outsold the Wii.

Pretty impressive numbers for the PS3, that's definitely sure. Now, given the sales gap in the US, it's pretty much guaranteed that worldwide the PS3 is outselling the 360. 2008 is where, in North America, PS3 starts outselling the 360 (especially as we get closer to the fall), barring any significant pricedrops by Microsoft.

Awesome. Totally awesome.

Mr.Potato Head said:
what i cant figure out is seeing the ps3 doing so badly... after their rock'n ps1 and ps2 platforms.. its hard to imagine whats going on with ps3 right now..

It baffles me how bad sony has dropped the ball this generation... it sucks too because ps1 and ps2 had so so many kick ass games on those systems. I dont care what anyone says about ..oh there still Resistence 2 and Metel Gear,etc,etc.. alot of developers will and are dropping the ps3 platform as a lucrative platform to develop for..its not gonna get any better here on out for ps3..which is sad, it really upsets me too because the ps3 has alot of potential in its hardware and its hardly being tapped but by a small handful of dev's now days

Indeed.

I'm amazed that people don't give Microsoft credit for the position they are currently in. The PS2 destroyed the original Xbox, both through hardware and software sales.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Bookey said:
I think ps3 is the worst console ever sent out in the market cant believe some ppl were dumb enough to buy one when the 360 bests it in every way

userid# = 657

:lol

Zzoram said:
Again, they don't earn $60 for each $60 game sale. Retailers buy the games for $40-45 depending on their purchasing power. Sony also gets a platform cut, plus in this case a publisher cut.

Don't waste your time with this one.

Schmev

Banned
Okay, I'm going to do what my mammy has told me to do...

I'm going to dispute the numbers, because they can't be true.

Then I'm going to insult a few of our members, because what do they have to offer?

Then I'm going to bask in my own glory. I have achieved total forum glory.

I think you people will never achieve total truth like I have.

I don't love you. I don't hate you. I have no regard for you at all. You people are boring.

Mr.Potato Head said:

PS1 went up against a overpriced and underpowered Sega Saturn. Then the PS2 went up against a system that was on it's last legs (Dreamcast) when the PS2 launched.

They had no real competition when the PSone and PS2 were released.

Tutomos

Ok, so the landscape is changing. The franchises we'd seen doing very well for EA during the PS2 era are gone, games like NFS and Medal of Honor are replaced by other games in this gen. Activition is going to take their place pretty soon. I think EA is in a rebuilding period. They got some new IP that are great, like Skate and RockBand, but they haven't made much sales impact yet, but like I said EA is sort of rebuilding, so in the future those new games will become very viable. One thing they have to be careful about though, it's that they can't have more misses than hits. They already miss with Boogie, now Army of Two could be in danger of tanking.

So in relation with Sony, EA has been closely aligned with them, and during such a short time in this generation, we have seen not one but two giants being significantly weakened. I think they are both taking some chances and risks, and I think they will both bounce back

Quazar

Bookey said:

Really man wtf. Blog that shit next time.

jaaz

Bookey said:

Wow, just wow. Time to exit this thread.

test_account

XP-39C²
Zzoram said:

True, but it is a 1st party game so they make more than a 3rd part game i assume. But lets say $30 income for each game, then its 30 million dollars. I doubt it cost 30 million dollars to develope Uncharted. I would assume somewere around 15 million dollars + -.

Zzoram

Leonsito said:
Woah, PS2 surpassed 40M and I didn't notice, and it will still sell 3 or 4 Million more without no doubt, that's insane, no other console will ever reach that.

The DS Lite says hi

test_account

XP-39C²
IronicallyTwisted said:
Don't waste your time with this one.

What? All i said was that i think Uncharted will profit. So what time is there to waste? Maybe better to read what i say instead of thinking im some crazy fanboy trying to spin things.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Someone post the gif of happy birthday black boy!

Master Z

lockload said:
Agreed are there any top40 software sales numbers?

Seriously if you are activision and you have just spent the same amount of money developing COD4 an PS3 and 360 and the game sells four times as many copies on 360 it must make them look long and hard at that PS3 development investment..

? COD4 PS3 numbers have already justified the investment, especially when you factor in WW sales. The game selling much more on the 360 just means more money for Activision. They like money and their big guns (COD4, GH3) sell well enough on PS3 to continue support.

Hunter D

Snah said:
No matter what happens, Sony wins due to the money they will look to make from Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray profits/sales dwarf videogame sales. So, even if Sony is 'doomed' to 2nd place, honestly, who cares? Sonycowboy posted the figures in the thread in the OT forum. They are massive.

If Sony is a solid 2nd place, how is that a failure when the platform will churn out amazing titles?

Last I checked, I'm still getting Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Devil May Cry 4, Gran Theft Auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Team ICO titles, and Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy versus XIII.

As a gamer, do you think I care that they're not outselling the competition, even though they're currently priced the highest? Given these sales figures, PS3 obviously isn't doomed. It's not dreamcasted or Saturn'd. It's a viable platform globally.

For Sony as a company, do you think they care? They just won the next-gen media battle, and will take in billions in profit over the next 10 years because of it. Videogames these days, with their ridiculous budgets, are a losing proposition for the most part. Sony went for the cash, and because of it, we'll see more PS3 development. So, as a gamer, I don't think I'll honestly mind that they may be doomed to 2nd place so long as I get the games that I want.
What does movies have to do with games?

Fredescu

Norml said:
PS2 has to die even though it still sells good imo. It has to be taking a good percent away from PS3,say at least 500k more consoles could have went to PS3.
If you think the cheapest console is poaching sales from the most expensive console, you haven't been watching this gen very closely.

Top Bottom