• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Raw64life

Everything posted in this thread so far that isn't in the OP...

-----

December 2007:

WII RESIDENT EVIL: UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - 147,600
WII NIGHTS: JOURNEY OF DREAMS - 60,800

NDS MARIO PARTY DS - 385,700
NDS FINAL FANTASY XII: REVENANT WINGS - 117,200

PS3 UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE - 206,000
PS3 THE ORANGE BOX - 56,500
PS3 TIMESHIFT - 25,000

360 MASS EFFECT - 401,000

-----

Rough LTDs:

WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~1.2 million
WII MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES - ~940K
WII RESIDENT EVIL: UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - ~270K

NDS FINAL FANTASY XII: REVENANT WINGS - ~170K

360 MASS EFFECT - ~875K
360 HD-DVD ADD ON - ~315K

PS3 UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE - ~325K

-----

Hardware LTD - America:

NDS - 17.6 million
PSP - 10.5 million
360 - 9.2 million
WII - 7.4 million
PS3 - 3.2 million

-----

WII PLAY W/REMOTE - Month by Month:

February - 371K
March - 273K
April - 249K
May - 227K
June - 293K
July - 278K
August - 257K
September - 282K
October - 240K
November - 564K
December - 1.1 million

-----

Wii Play has to have some kind of record for most consecutive months in the top 10.

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:
Sony's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3) also smashed expectations, selling 206,000 units, well ahead of the market's expectation of 139,900 units.
That's because the market's expectations were so damn low. :lol

Uncharted was Sony's big holiday title, and it sold 323k over the holidays. If the UK is anything to go by, it should have some good legs, but those are very disappointing sales for such an important and well-received game.

Frillen said:
So 323k total for Uncharted. That's still terrible unfortunately. Deserves WAY more.

yeah it does :(
maybe it will crawl to 1million worldwide when it's all said and done
:(

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
sonycowboy said:
Sony's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3) also smashed expectations, selling 206,000 units, well ahead of the market's expectation of 139,900 units.

Thank God. Hopefully it will keep selling steadily.

Holy shit these are some stunning sales.

The PS3's number really isn't that good at all. The Xbox 360 is doing amazingly. Very strong hardware and software sales. The Wii continues to be an absolute animal.

Snah

Banned
kbear said:
Totally agree. Considering how dire things were earlier this year, 800k doesn't seem bad at all. People shouldn't expect things to turn around in an instant. It's going to take some time. Sony is slowly but surely rectifying their mistakes and it's beginning to show in sales.

Yup. You nailed it. PS3 looked to be doomed when it only managed to sell 70k monthly. That was certainly its lowest point. They've managed to address the issues the best they could this holiday season, and managed to sell decently. 800k versus 1.1 million last year when Microsoft stuffed Xbox 360s down the retail channel. That's only 300k, and back then the 360 had a blockbuster exclusive with Gears of War and virtually no competition due to supply constraints for both the PS3 and Wii.

Remember, we heard for months about how the PS3 had no good games this Christmas. We still hear it. And, at the same time, we have people claiming that the Xbox 360 had the best lineup in the history of gaming (not only from Peter Moore, but also the head of many news outlets such as GameTrailers).

So, let me get this straight:

A. PS3 has no good games.

B. Xbox 360 has the best lineup in the history of gaming.

C. Xbox 360 is significantly cheaper than PS3.

So, again, why is it surprising that the Xbox 360 is outselling the PS3 if this is the perception amongst gamers? If you haven't jumped into next-gen yet, and you wanted to this Christmas, based upon the respective lineups which would you choose? This isn't rocket science. What's more surprising to me is that the 360 wasn't able to outsell the PS3 by more than it did.

So now let's actually look at the picture for 2008, where the 360 basically looks to have very few blockbuster titles (i.e., "no good games" in the minds of the collective internet meme divisions), and even those blockbuster titles may not sell all that well (who knows if Banjo will take off on a system that caters towards hardcore FPS fanatics), and the PS3 looks to have title after title consisting of exclusive blockbusters hits that cater directly towards the shooter-centric market we're currently in. Couple that with free online, dedicated servers, a title which boasts of 8 player co-op and 60 player multi; which console are they going to choose? For those that already own an Xbox 360, they're going to need a PS3 because the PS3 caters to their needs; for those that haven't jumped in yet, the PS3 has a much stronger library of titles and better bang for your buck in terms of hardware.

SPEA said:
Hahaha:lol :lol

You are delusional my friend. Delusional.

So, you don't believe that when titles like MGS4, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, etc. launch that they will outsell many 360 titles? I think that's a given.

NeoUltima

sonycowboy said:
Hopefully it has some legs. Hate to see great games sell so little.

Nolan.

_leech_ said:
As long as it's enough (worldwide) for Naughty Dog to break even or make some money and develop a sequel.

Wasn't there some wacky 500k break even number out there for ps3 games?, then again Uncharated isn't average.

Liquid said:
so how does ps3 compare to past gamecube and saturn holiday sales?

Lobster said:
Its behind Cube.

No, it beat the Cube's 2nd December (and November). It tied the Xbox's 2nd Nov, but came up very short of its 2nd Dec.

But yes, it's still behind the Cube overall, by ~200k.

test_account

XP-39C²
About 323k in USA, 38k in Japan, 100k+ in UK and lets say 100k for the rest of Europe and Australia. Thats about 561k worldwide for Uncharted. I guess it broke even atleast. But the sales doesnt stop there of course. I guess it can reach somehwat 750k LTD worldwide.

goldenpp72

Im honestly shocked no one else seems to care about rockbands 360/ps3 performance. What about family titles like lego star wars and scene it? :(

theguy

perfectchaos007 said:
They still include them through algorithms and other mathematical formulas. But honestly, I would think TRU would help the Wii numbers more than the PS3 numbers. Maybe Amazon too. Oh and also Wal-Mart would DEFINITELY help the Wii. And I don't think wal-mart is "included" in NPD either. But they are estimated.

TRU is currently absent but, trust me, the numbers wouldn't change much. NPD does have Amazon (announced that here on gaf along with other new additions to the e-tailer list awhile ago). It doesn't have Wal-Mart but it works with Wal-Mart on the consumer data side.

Chinner

Banned
Snah said:
lots of words

So, you don't believe that when titles like MGS4, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, etc. launch that they will outsell many 360 titles? I think that's a given.

Ever heard of a game called Mass Effect...2? My sources say its coming out November this year.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Raw64life said:
Everything posted in this thread so far that isn't in the OP...

Hardware LTD - America:

NDS - 17.6 million
PSP - 10.5 million
360 - 9.2 million
WII - 7.4 million
PS3 - 3.2 million
This brings the North American life to date totals to:

PlayStation 2 - 41.12 million
Nintendo DS - 17.65 million
PSP - 10.47 million
Xbox 360 - 9.15 million
Wii - 7.38 million
PlayStation 3 - 3.25 million

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17004

It says North American but it's just the US.

GhaleonEB

Snah said:
So, let me get this straight:

A. PS3 has no good games.

B. Xbox 360 has the best lineup in the history of gaming.
I like how you correctly frame your entire argument so that you will be taken seriously.

Snah said:
And Lair 2 and Heavenly Sword 2 and UT3-2, and R2D2...

Frillen

Mario & Sonic will easily sell 4 Million combined on the DS and the Wii when all is said and done. I suspect Nintendo to do a rerelease in August, when the Olympics begins.

lockload

SIP YEK NOD said:
Where is the ps3 software? :|

Agreed are there any top40 software sales numbers?

Seriously if you are activision and you have just spent the same amount of money developing COD4 an PS3 and 360 and the game sells four times as many copies on 360 it must make them look long and hard at that PS3 development investment..

Snah said:

All MS needs to do is release a little game called Gears of War 2.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
sonycowboy said:
jak & daxter only sold 212k in Dec 2001
Most people don't remember that it only sold so well over it's life because of the Greatest Hits version.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
tjhooker said:
1. You assume PS3 has been outselling 360 worldwide since only December of last year.

2. You assume that the amount PS3 will outsell 360 worldwide each month will not widen.

Both assumptions are incorrect.

You assume the PS3 has been outselling the 360 worldwide at all? You think it was outselling it since before December of last year? Now that's funny, how did it do that?

So, what do you want? Let's say they outsell them, on average, 1M a year. They'll catch up in ~6. Good job. I'm being very reasonable in my statements, you're the only crazy one that insists the 360 will be a "distant" third.

felipeko

Frillen said:
Mario & Sonic will easily sell 4 Million combined on the DS and the Wii when all is said and done. I suspect Nintendo to do a rerelease in August, when the Olympics begins.
That's not up to Nintendo... Sega's game.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Yeah but with potentially it's "biggest title of '07", it still couldn't take top spot on the software charts.

With the install base that the Wii has, one might think it would have walked all over the software sales charts.

Perhaps it's helping to create an argument that companies that include a game with the console bundle end up having lower attachment rates?

Yeah. You might want to remember that the Wii still hasn't surpassed the 360 in the US, which is what the NPD numbers are for. Wii hardware is still about 1.5 to 2 million behind the 360 in the US. We all know the 360 is a software monster.

Snah said:

4 months ago would you have included Uncharted in that list?

How about Lair?

Who will buy these fabulous titles? Certainly not PS3 owners, we've seen that already. Perhaps 360 owners stockpiling games will pick up some copies for when the PS3 drops to $199.

System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)

Wii: 25.5 (July 11, 2007)
PS3: 26.5 (July 4, 2007)
X360: 47.2 (February 9, 2007)

Top Bottom