• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Those 360 numbers are disappointing to me. I'm referring to hardware, of course. It seems like their price drop isn't helping even though they've got the best library of games and a head start.

Those PS3 hardware numbers are good, not great. The software sales are abysmal.

GottiDC said:
my point exactly. At that point the next year Sony just got cocky and said they had allready won the that generation of gaming, 3 years into it Sony came out and said wit a 300 system that was not a gimmick and was for gamers of all likes, with no wond attach meant and came out and said they had allready won't the concole war. I dare ms or nintendo(LOL) to even try to say that

Your posts are getting less coherant, your spelling is getting worse, and your point has disappeared entirely. I'm not even sure you're speaking in Sony's defense anymore...are you?

itsgreen

Absinthe said:
Those 360 numbers are disappointing to me. I'm referring to hardware, of course. It seems like their price drop isn't helping even though they've got the best library of games and a head start.

Those PS3 hardware numbers are good, not great. The software sales are abysmal.

It was a near sellout for 360.

But, yeah only scoring 60% more is really bad. And only 500k more then the competitor...

I think MS should throw in the towel.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So when did GT turn into the best selling franchise again?

And furthermore, what is IronicallyTwisted trying to prove?

fanboi

Banned
Can someone tell how the PS3 is doing WW?
For US they are like the fat kid in school when you were going to play some sports.
They were picked last.

Only diffrence in this that PS3 is never picked

itsgreen said:
Why include PS3?

Thats like saying Kennedy and George W. together got an approval rate of 90%

sorry can't help it.

I think we often add up the multiplatform ports as whole when comparing games, don't we?

fanboi said:
For US they are like the fat kid in school when you were going to play some sports.
They were picked last.

Worse in Japan (they haven't even hit 2 million units yet) and pretty much unknown for Europe.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
fanboi said:
They were picked last.

You aren't going to last long around here. I gare-own-tea it!

itsgreen said:
It was a near sellout for 360.

But, yeah only scoring 60% more is really bad. And only 500k more then the competitor...

I think MS should throw in the towel.

The PS3 is more expensive than the 360, Halo 3 has been on store shelves for months, and the 360 has a much stronger library. That means that the PS3 is doing pretty fucking good by comparison. Microsoft shouldn't throw in the towel and I wasn't implying that. I was implying that Sony is hanging tough even though there aren't many good reasons to actually buy a PS3. I'm more curious how January's NPD is going to turn out.

Ydahs

GottiDC said:
no its not that I think I am, u no I am putting up a good arguement. If I wasnt there wouldnt be any resin for u to post the bs u jet did

Oh wow, you sure found me out.

I like your Gamespot signature btw.

HK-47 said:
We cant. Those numbers where revealed on the Wiik in Review podcast on IGN.

So we can expect them in the next podcast?

itsgreen

Absinthe said:
The PS3 is more expensive than the 360, Halo 3 has been on store shelves for months, and the 360 has a much stronger library. That means that the PS3 is doing pretty fucking good by comparison. Microsoft shouldn't throw in the towel and I wasn't implying that. I was implying that Sony is hanging tough even though there aren't many good reasons to actually buy a PS3. I'm more curious how January's NPD is going to turn out.

360 did 1.1 last year and has not hit the sweet spot yet, console is still 349, while the 40g ps3 is 399. Yes I know I am in minority when I say I prefer the 40g version over the 60g version. But I liked the 20g also, even though the Wifi was taken out.

Halo 3 sold really well, game launched in fucking september.

Uncle

Yes, the PS3 is doing great considering there are a lot of people who don't want to buy it. But still it sells! If that isn't a modern herculean feat, I don't know what is.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I know they probably don't account for the majority of the 360's hardware sales, but MS has two 360 SKUs that are as/more expensive as/than one of the PS3 SKUs. Outrightly saying they're cheaper isn't completely right.

I bet the Elite outsold the 40GB by itself, for what it's worth.

itsgreen

AlteredBeast said:
I know they probably don't account for the majority of the 360's hardware sales, but MS has two 360 SKUs that are as/more expensive as/than one of the PS3 SKUs. Outrightly saying they're cheaper isn't completely right.

I bet the Elite outsold the 40GB by itself, for what it's worth.

I bet 40GB sold really well.

Absinthe said:

The PS3 sold 300k less units in its 2nd christmas than the 360 did in its 2nd christmas at the exact same price point. On top of that Sony are throwing in effectively now a free blu ray player which must be costing them a fortune.

On top of that the PS3 certainly benefitted from a significant recent price cut where as the 360 was still at its launch price in its 2nd Christmas 13 months after launch.

How can anyone suggest the PS3 is doing well?

I'm not here to defend the PS3 hardware sales because they're still not great. I do, however, think that they're gaining a little bit of momentum even though their software library pales in comparison to the 360. There are just as many must have titles on the Wii as there are on the PS3 and hopefully this will be rectified this year.

I predict that the PS3 will outsell the 360 in hardware a couple of months this year. That's a step in the right direction. By 2009, the PS3 will probably have outsold the 360 worldwide. They've seriously got to do something about software sales though. I'm glad everyone is doing well because competition is fantastic.

mr_bishiuk said:
The PS3 sold 300k less units in its 2nd christmas than the 360 did in its 2nd christmas at the exact same price point. On top of that Sony are throwing in effectively now a free blu ray player which must be costing them a fortune.

On top of that the PS3 certainly benefitted from a significant recent price cut where as the 360 was still at its launch price in its 2nd Christmas 13 months after launch.

How can anyone suggest the PS3 is doing well?

Those numbers are very acceptable, and even good, when one considers many factors. Your comparison really holds no weight because the 360 was competing against a 600 dollar console and a console that was sold completely out its second year on the market. The PS3, in its second year, is still the most expensive console on market and did not launch first. So yes, they're pretty fucking good considering.

kitch9

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Just like the annoying ones that pronounced the PS3 victorious before it even launched?

Uhmm, 14 months ago called....... It wants its dubious statement back. Make sure it brings its rose tinted glasses too....

Absinthe said:
I'm not here to defend the PS3 hardware sales because they're still not great. I do, however, think that they're gaining a little bit of momentum even though their software library pales in comparison to the 360. There are just as many must have titles on the Wii as there are on the PS3 and hopefully this will be rectified this year.

I predict that the PS3 will outsell the 360 in hardware a couple of months this year. That's a step in the right direction. By 2009, the PS3 will probably have outsold the 360 worldwide. They've seriously got to do something about software sales though. I'm glad everyone is doing well because competition is fantastic.

The US is already lost, but worldwide second place is still up for grabs. I think PS3 will take it eventually.

The deciding factor will be how much room for price cuts each have. MS should have more than Sony, but we'll have to see.

Absinthe said:

I'm a fan of both but what kind of charts are you looking at that would make you think they're going to catch up? Microsoft is long overdue for a serious price cut and, unlike Sony, they can actually afford to do it. Sony, despite price-drops and pack-ins, is still failing to meet their competitors in terms of hardware. In software, they're selling a fraction of the kinds of numbers the competitors are moving. There is no silver lining there; they've got good games, a superb system, a respectable online network, and a decent advertising campaign and they're still not catching up. I'm beginning to think that their initial pricepoint and attitude at launch did some serious damage to the brand overall.

Absinthe said:
Those numbers are very acceptable, and even good, when one considers many factors. Your comparison really holds no weight because the 360 was competing against a 600 dollar console and a console that was sold completely out its second year on the market. The PS3, in its second year, is still the most expensive console on market and did not launch first. So yes, they're pretty fucking good considering.

Desperately spinning the truth and making excuses isn't going to change the fact that their platform is looking less and less favorable to publishers as long as this continues to go on. There comes a point where you have to stop making excuses and start looking at the reality of the situation; the reality is that they're not moving as much hardware as they should be and they're not moving nearly as much software as the competition. That is troubling no matter how you try to spin it; publishers/developers don't commit resources based on who was doing what in 2006 and at what price point they were doing it at; they want to know what is happening now and that situation isn't exactly favorable to Sony.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The Innocent X said:
The US is already lost, but worldwide second place is still up for grabs. I think PS3 will take it eventually.

The deciding factor will be how much room for price cuts each have. MS should have more than Sony, but we'll have to see.

MS would be smart to get a karaoke game out in Pal territories and drop the system at least another 50 dollars across all SKUs. a $200 Arcade w/ a karaoke game packed in or available for cheap would sell like mad pretty much everywhere (outside of Japan) If the 360 is 299 come this time next year, we will know that MS really has no deep desire to win the hi-def console war. It was always through pricecuts that even the mighty PS2 received large bumps and sustained high hardware sales month in and month out. The moment Sony saw stagnation, they dropped it. That is what MS needs to be, but probably never will.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Those PS3 software sales are pretty damn worrying. The system is set to become my favourite platform in 2008, yet nobody buys the games.

MS would be smart to get a karaoke game out in Pal territories and drop the system at least another 50 dollars across all SKUs.
It wouldn't matter. When MS tries to copy something the final product is always half-assed. The game should be truly exceptional and innovative to change the consumer's percetion in Europe.

Uncle

AlteredBeast said:
MS would be smart to get a karaoke game out in Pal territories and drop the system at least another 50 dollars across all SKUs.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have some sort of a singstar clone karaoke game in the works. I mean they already have Big Brain Academy Brain Challenge coming and Buzz Scene It is already out.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Uncle said:
I'd be surprised if they didn't have some sort of a singstar clone karaoke game in the works. I mean they already have Big Brain Academy Brain Challenge coming and Buzz Scene It is already out.

Unfortunately, they leave out the 'reasonably priced' for those games. Scene It! is 60 bones when it should be 40 dollars new. That would sell like hotcakes. If they bring out a Singstar clone and price it at 60 (or knowing MS, at even a higher premium) it will have abysmal sales.

J-Rzez

-DS numbers are just outright insane. Nintendo really stuck that market well.
-Wii numbers are I suppose supply limited? I expected they'd be near 2M mark.
-PS3 numbers are very impressive considering it doesn't have any of it's well known-fan followed titles out yet. The fact that it's hanging around is good news for Sony, especially after the negative press that they've received for over a year now. 2008 has some big titles coming out, and if there's any more price drops, along with the recent Blu-Ray boost, I think it's going to become more interesting sooner than people may thinik.
-PSP numbers are really good I think for yet another "console with no games" *rolls eyes*
-PS2 numbers, can't believe it's doing what it's still doing, that's incredible and surely helping out Sony's coffers
-360, these numbers are disappointing considering the hype and game catalog it has going for it. It was also readily available too, so I'm not sure what happened there? Maybe people are still waiting to see what's on the horizon for it and the PS3 as we've seen a bit more of what's coming for the PS3 and not so much the 360? They can be holding out to see what MS has to show...

Software wise, SMG did a bit lower than expected, A.Creed did higher, and CoD4 sold unbelievable. Hopefully this inspires IW to push the envelope even further like they could've with the game, and hopefully ActiBlizzard funds them well for their follow up. Halo, I figured would sell like that as it's Halo, and it's Christmas time.

Tieno

Seeing these COD4 numbers on the 360 I can only imagine what GTA4 is going to do. MS is probably going to pimp it more too. Could they be Halo 3-like numbers?

J-Rzez said:
-DS numbers are just outright insane. Nintendo really stuck that market well.
-Wii numbers are I suppose supply limited? I expected they'd be near 2M mark.
-PS3 numbers are very impressive considering it doesn't have any of it's well known-fan followed titles out yet. The fact that it's hanging around is good news for Sony, especially after the negative press that they've received for over a year now. 2008 has some big titles coming out, and if there's any more price drops, along with the recent Blu-Ray boost, I think it's going to become more interesting sooner than people may thinik.
-PSP numbers are really good I think for yet another "console with no games" *rolls eyes*
-PS2 numbers, can't believe it's doing what it's still doing, that's incredible and surely helping out Sony's coffers
-360, these numbers are disappointing considering the hype and game catalog it has going for it. It was also readily available too, so I'm not sure what happened there? Maybe people are still waiting to see what's on the horizon for it and the PS3 as we've seen a bit more of what's coming for the PS3 and not so much the 360? They can be holding out to see what MS has to show...

Software wise, SMG did a bit lower than expected, A.Creed did higher, and CoD4 sold unbelievable. Hopefully this inspires IW to push the envelope even further like they could've with the game, and hopefully ActiBlizzard funds them well for their follow up. Halo, I figured would sell like that as it's Halo, and it's Christmas time.

PS3 "impressive"
360 "Disappointing"

oh dear

Borys

Banned
GottiDC said:
do people forget that the ps3 came out in Nov of 06. Do people for get that ps3 gained up 5million user base at $600, before the price drop of Nov 06. Did people forget that the ps3 is beating the 360 in world wide sales. Do people for get that the reason cod4sold more on 360 is because its shooter heaven and gained mass appeal from cod2? Do people forget that Sony is jugling 3 systems at one time. So do u really think when they respond to the ndp that there not going to respond about it. Do people forget that cheap toys allways sell more than video games(wii=toy) do people forget that psp and ds are for diffrent people,ps3 And the 360 are for diffrent people than the wii. Yes the 360 has a better attach ratio than the other system but of course its going to be like that when u have the lamest geeks in the world buyng the system, who only care about games, andrefuse to leave the house. I no that may sound harsh but its true. I mean did u see the halo 3 lines on g4, there was more acne streesed kids in that line, than 20 years of strides and proactive comercials. And the only people who will get mad at me saying that are the geeks and lakes that I'm talking about. Ps3 biggest titles have not hit but there coming and 08 will be a diffent ad waaay better year for Sony and gaming. Mgs4 and insomniac will save gaming forever please quote me on that.

slow_clap866.gif

kitch9 said:
Uhmm, 14 months ago called....... It wants its dubious statement back. Make sure it brings its rose tinted glasses too....
Call the statement old if you will, but dubious?

Hell up until launch a lot of people seemed to think price would do no harm. Fast forward to May when the PS3 dropped to 80,000 units, and you still had people saying it was only a bump in the road. The rest of the year seemed to have quelled that stance when it barely managed an average of 130,000 units for all of summer, with price drops not doing much of anything for the platform.

The problem Sony faces are much stronger then just price and games. There's something else in the mix. Price drops haven't helped, games haven't helped. If GTA, and MGS can't do anything, what will a $299 price tag and Final Fantasy do?

omg rite said:
BTW, did anyone else notice that in 2007, DS made almost HALF of its total American sales? :O

I noticed something too, the Wii made up almost 60% of it's lifetime sales this year!

kitch9

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Call the statement old if you will, but dubious?

Hell up until launch a lot of people seemed to think price would do no harm. Fast forward to May when the PS3 dropped to 80,000 units, and you still had people saying it was only a bump in the road. The rest of the year seemed to have quelled that stance when it barely managed an average of 130,000 units for all of summer, with price drops not doing much of anything for the platform.

The problem Sony faces are much stronger then just price and games. There's something else in the mix. Price drops haven't helped, games haven't helped. If GTA, and MGS can't do anything, what will a $299 price tag and Final Fantasy do?

I noticed something too, the Wii made up almost 60% of it's lifetime sales this year!

I remember nothing but bad press, laughter and general finger pointing at Sony. Sony fans saying otherwise tended to be ridiculed too, I was one of those laughing and pointing because Sony were embarrasing themselves.

I bought a PS3 purely for Blu-ray and something to feed my new big screen HDTV and found the thing is a nice bit of kit. I own all 3 consoles and enjoy them all. The PS3 is actually becoming my favorite machine as I use all of its features regularly.

I'm not defending NA sales numbers as they are undeniably worse than all the others. Its a shame that the PAL numbers are not published as the territory from Sony's point of view could be as strong, if not stronger than NA. Couple that with Japan and HW sales might not be that bad. I'm not sure whats happening SW wise, but again Europe may be a big slice of the pie.

All I'm saying is that there is a bigger picture, and a large chunk of it is not visible to us, so to fill the thread with these :lol :lol :lol may be a little previous.

kitch9 said:
I remember nothing but bad press, laughter and general finger pointing at Sony. Sony fans saying otherwise tended to be ridiculed too, I was one of those laughing and pointing because Sony were embarrasing themselves.

I bought a PS3 purely for Blu-ray and something to feed my new big screen HDTV and found the thing is a nice bit of kit. I own all 3 consoles and enjoy them all. The PS3 is actually becoming my favorite machine as I use all of its features regularly.

I'm not defending NA sales numbers as they are undeniably worse than all the others. Its a shame that the PAL numbers are not published as the territory from Sony's point of view could be as strong, if not stronger than NA. Couple that with Japan and HW sales might not be that bad. I'm not sure whats happening SW wise, but again Europe may be a big slice of the pie.

All I'm saying is that there is a bigger picture, and a large chunk of it is not visible to us, so to fill the thread with these :lol :lol :lol may be a little previous.
Battle of semantics.

I still love you though, my baldheaded babyfaced adult.

duk

Banned
Guys, don't forget, no matter how much the PS3 hardware sells, if the software doesn't start to pick up, then it's game over.

Top Bottom