• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

skinnyrattler said:
A Beatles game with primary Wii marketing is CAN'T LOSE. I can think of 5 Beatles songs that would go perfectly to Wii marketing. It actually has the potential to bring in even more of the casual gamers and be a possible evergreen title, well, except for them releasing a new one each year. It's something they should put some real backing behind and try to capture everybody's attention with.

I think it will be very popular, and I for one am looking forward to it, but I don't think a band specific game can have the same kind of sales as a typical 80 track GH release. Even if that band is The Beatles.

Agreed on the Wii though. If Harmonix don't launch day and date with the HD versions they're insane.

Deku

Banned
Gully State said:
Sony has been pretty lucky thus far in that it hasn't completely lost a title to MS. Since publishers see 360/PS3/PC as one platform, it wouldn't be farfetched to say that it's not 360 vs PS3 vs Wii but rather HD consoles vs Wii.

Well that is true to some extent and many projects that would have otherwise been PS3 exclusive are now multiplatform, but it's still a pipe dream by every measure. It costs money to port a game.

AniHawk

Playstation 2: 43,646,222
Nintendo DS: 27,504,433
Wii: 17,540,815
PSP: 14,258,702
Xbox 360: 13,888,795
Playstation 3: 6,788,544

Call of Duty: World at War: 3.87m
360: 2.74m
PS3: 1.13m

Left 4 Dead (360): 1.039m

Guitar Hero: World Tour (Wii): 1.508m

Gears of War 2: 2.305m

Evlar said:
This strategy of understocking Mario Kart DS is really starting to piss me off. Damn you, Nintendo!
It ties back into what Anita said in the NPD analysis: How can the industry be performing so well as a whole while so many companies are going bankrupt or shedding staff? Because the riches aren't evenly distributed. Nintendo is just pointing out that the uneven distribution is very much in their favor right now.

Actually, if you look at the financial statements 3rd party western publishers typically are having record or near record revenue. It's the cost side of the equation that is the problem.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Private Hoffman said:
You already answered your question. Konami does not sell directly to consumers.

MGS4 has sold better than MGS3 (certainly in the US, and it did similarly in Japan; Europe is an unknown). But it already reached the 4 million sold mark, while MGS3 hasn't even reached that yet according to wikipedia.
Private Hoffman said:
MGS4 has sold better than MGS3 (certainly in the US, and it did similarly in Japan; Europe is an unknown). But it already reached the 4 million sold mark, while MGS3 hasn't even reached that yet according to wikipedia.
Private Hoffman said:
while MGS3 hasn't even reached that yet according to wikipedia.
Private Hoffman said:
according to wikipedia.
Private Hoffman said:
wikipedia.
ess379.gif

Reckon Kotakus got another Doom and Death PS3 article done already? I actually think the PS3 posted good numbers, it held up surprisingly well considering the competition from a should-be-huge-post-pricecut-christmas 360.

Adumaha said:
:lol :lol

Why is price a factor? All I am saying is I expected Wii the phenomenon that it is to sell more then it did on the biggest retail month of the year. The fact that Xbox 360 even came that close shows Microsoft did something correct. Don't take more from it then that.

Cdaws

Banned
AniHawk said:
God damn. I would have never expected Mario Kart Wii to outsell Mario Kart DS. It honestly doesn't make sense considering how many DSes there are.

Local multiplayer leading to word of mouth and less quality competition I guess.

I wonder if MKWii is driving console sales, and if it is to what extent. I don't think it is, I think it's the first software purchase by many Wii owners after they are bored with whatever they bought their Wii for (Wii Fit/Sports).

TJ Spyke

grandjedi6 said:

Ugh, did you try looking first? Wikipedia is usually pretty reliable. Especially when it comes to game sales. He is right, the Metal Gear Solid 3 sales date on Wikipedia comes right from Konami's own financial reports. Konami had MGS3 at 3.7 million.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Evlar said:
This strategy of understocking Mario Kart DS is really starting to piss me off.

Oh this is hardly the first time they've done something like that. If I was going to call Nintendo's strategy this gen anything I would call it: manufactured hype. You saw Mario Kart DS sales flagging big-time, so the easy solution is to just set up a so-called "shortage" and all of a sudden you've basically created consumer demand that under any normal circumstance wouldn't (and shouldn't) exist.

This is why their sales are just so unpredictable this gen--you don't know what is happening in the supply lines, and shortage hype pretty much dictates exactly what sells for them.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Cirekiller said:
:lol :lol

Why is price a factor? All I am saying is I expected Wii the phenomenon that it is to sell more then it did on the biggest retail month of the year. The fact that Xbox 360 even came that close shows Microsoft did something correct. Don't take more from it then that.

Relax, I don't actually care. I just wanted to poke fun.

Evlar

Banned
Cdaws said:
Local multiplayer leading to word of mouth and less quality competition I guess.

I wonder if MKWii is driving console sales, and if it is to what extent. I don't think it is, I think it's the first software purchase by many Wii owners after they are bored with whatever they bought their Wii for (Wii Fit/Sports).
I agree, MKWii probably isn't driving Wii sales. Like other big Wii titles it is remarkable how it keeps posting big numbers month after month, though. Wii and DS owners don't seem as influenced by release schedules as owners of other consoles... they make purchases on their own schedule that isn't governed at all by release dates.

AniHawk

AstroLad said:
Oh this is hardly the first time they've done something like that. If I was going to call Nintendo's strategy this gen anything I would call it: manufactured hype. You saw Mario Kart DS sales flagging big-time, so the easy solution is to just set up a so-called "shortage" and all of a sudden you've basically created consumer demand that under any normal circumstance wouldn't (and shouldn't) exist.

This is why their sales are just so unpredictable this gen--you don't know what is happening in the supply lines, and shortage hype pretty much dictates exactly what sells for them.

This actually makes perfect sense.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
TJ Spyke said:
Ugh, did you try looking first? Wikipedia is usually pretty reliable. Especially when it comes to game sales. He is right, the Metal Gear Solid 3 sales date on Wikipedia comes right from Konami's own financial reports. Konami had MGS3 at 3.7 million.
Then he should have sourced Konami's financial reports then. You can't use Wikipedia as a source ever since its nothing more than a collection of sources itself. Plus it can be edited by anyone.

And Wikipedia's videogame articles aren't that reliable.

sonicmj1 said:
Misleading chart.

Any other companies with revenue growth are swallowed by companies with losses. Nintendo is dominant either way, but the chart seems to suggest that no other company has had significant revenue growth this year, which I doubt is the case.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
It's meant to show revenue growth YoY, but it's actually rather misleading because it's comparing apples and oranges. It's still a top class bit of spin though.

Revenue doesn't rise or fall for the rest of the industry uniformly. Most likely what has happened is that whatever revenue growth was experienced by some companies was offset by revenue shortfalls by the others. When you add the revenue growth and shortfalls of the industry up (without taking into account Nintendo), you get a net of +$35 million. Of course, this number could just as easily be $500 billion shortfall + $500.035 billion growth as it could be $0 shortfall + $35 million. It's a meaningless figure that only states that the total amount of money being spent on non-Nintendo video game products grew by $35 million this year.

They then compared this against Nintendo's own $3.31 billion revenue growth, which dwarfed this figure and put it into a pie chart as though they were part of a meaningful whole (which they aren't). As it is, the representation is broken. For example, had non-Nintendo industry revenues shrunk YoY, it would have been impossible to put them both into a pie chart.

A better (but only slightly less meaningless) way to represent the data would have been as a bar graph with one representing non-Nintendo industry growth in dollars and the other representing Nintendo's growth in dollars, but that wouldn't have been nearly as funny, nor screamed domination as loudly as Pac-Man with an almost closed mouth.

That's the point they are trying to make.

Son.Ralph.Funk said:
You're saying the 360 is selling more than the Wii?
*sigh*

Jokes aren't funny when you have to explain them.

Cheaper console (360 @$199) sells less (1.44M < 2.15M) than more expensive one (Wii @ $249)!!!

CrazzyMan said:
1. Big HW = Big SW(usually), and like i said, entry price point. Does anyone here expect PS3 at 249$ bundled with a game to do much worse, then Wii at 249$?
I fully expect a $249 PS3 bundled with Killzone 2 to be consistently outsold by the Wii outside of the month of the price drop. It's the core product people are buying and, quite frankly, people want Wii's core product more.

Think about it. The cheapest Xbox 360 SKU is currently cheaper than the Wii, despite having vastly more powerful hardware, a more robust 3rd party library and a better online implementation, yet it's still being outsold by the Wii. The PS3 offers similar value. The conclusion should be clear.

donny2112 said:
Just about everyone?
Yeah at this point I know a ton of rich people with disposable income that str Wii owners with no intentions of getting a PS3. You sorta mention it would pair nicely with there HDTV but that's about it. At this point since the Wii is so hard to find no one feels like it's a cheaper product. Especially with the hype surrounding it. A $249 PS3 would definitley sell more but would not outsell Wii IMO.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
AstroLad said:

Oh good lord.

AstroLad said:

:lol

I knew it. You're a joke account. You've always been chock full of anti-logic. Keep it up.

AstroLad said:

what the hell? who put the 'artificial shortage' card back in the deck? i thought this card was removed a long time ago!

AniHawk said:
Playstation 2: 43,646,222
Nintendo DS: 27,504,433
Wii: 17,540,815
PSP: 14,258,702
Xbox 360: 13,888,795
Playstation 3: 6,788,544

Call of Duty: World at War: 3.87m
360: 2.74m
PS3: 1.13m

Left 4 Dead (360): 1.039m

Guitar Hero: World Tour (Wii): 1.508m

Gears of War 2: 2.305m

Some reason the PS2 number doesn't match the 50M Sony has claimed?

Blame!

titiklabingapat said:

fuck the console wars. the reality is that any company who made a profit during the fiscal year "won" and that would obviously include ninentedo but microsoft as well. sony is the only loser, unfortunately.

AniHawk

lowlylowlycook said:
Some reason the PS2 number doesn't match the 50M Sony has claimed?

NPD isn't 100% precise and it only counts the United States (the 50m number comes from North American sales as a whole) and there are always more shipped systems than sold.

sonicmj1

titiklabingapat said:

What point are they trying to make? That, besides Nintendo, other companies had big losses in terms of revenue to offset the companies with growth? Or that Nintendo is the only company with growth?

The chart doesn't prove the second, and the first is kind of meaningless, given that one company could have massive losses in revenue (similar to Nintendo's gains) and throw everything off.

EDIT: I see. Makes some sense, but the chart certainly suggests more than it actually proves.

Tron 2.0 said:
It's not an out of the gate blockbuster, but that total means it sold ~500K in December. Which means it could be a slow burn.

But, no, it didn't really take the country by storm.

I realize that. It's just that I'm sure Nintendo expected more after the successes of Wii Play, Wii Fit, and of course Wii Sports.

9098p5.gif

k410p.jpg

Okay not to troll since I'm trying not to imply that this is a bad game or will fop or something but WTF? I mean judging from these clips this game has to have some of the most ridiculously easy auto-aim and easy kills ever. I mean the player isn't even aiming at the flying enemy most of the time and manages to blow it up, then he misses every shot but one to a soldier and they instantly die. Is it on like ultra-easy or something to demostrate the game?

Maybe it's just late and I'm missing something but seriously.

Rolf NB

The Faceless Master said:
what the hell? who put the 'artificial shortage' card back in the deck? i thought this card was removed a long time ago!
If you tap Absurdix's horrendous meme resurrector you can return it from your graveyard into your hand.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Flying_Phoenix said:
I realize that. It's just that I'm sure Nintendo expected more after the successes of Wii Play, Wii Fit, and of course Wii Sports.

http://i40.tinypic.com/9098p5.gif[MG]

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/k410p.jpg[MG]

Okay not to troll since I'm trying not to imply that this is a bad game or will fop or something but WTF? I mean [U][B]judging from these clips[/B][/U] this game has to have some of the most ridiculously easy auto-aim and easy kills ever. I mean the player isn't even aiming at the flying enemy and manages to blow it up, then he misses every shot but one to a soldier and they instantly die. Is it on like ultra-easy or something to demostrate the game?

Maybe it's just late and I'm missing something but seriously.[/QUOTE]
firstly, thanks for throwing another 15mb download at me

secondly, stop shitting this thread up. there's a KZ2 thread that is already shit central (with the occasional good post or two, don't get me wrong), use that thread

sonicmj1 said:
What point are they trying to make? That, besides Nintendo, other companies had big losses in terms of revenue to offset the companies with growth? Or that Nintendo is the only company with growth?

The chart doesn't prove the second, and the first is kind of meaningless, given that one company could have massive losses in revenue (similar to Nintendo's gains) and throw everything off.
Someone already said it. Nintendo is trying to compare itself to the whole industry.

Hawk269

pseudocaesar said:
Reckon Kotakus got another Doom and Death PS3 article done already? I actually think the PS3 posted good numbers, it held up surprisingly well considering the competition from a should-be-huge-post-pricecut-christmas 360.

While I would say "not bad", the bigger issue is that it sold less in 08 December than in 07 December when the price point was higher. That, in retail/business is a "bad deal" for them. Typically, you sell more at lower price points, but this is the first time that I am aware of that a system sold less than it did the year before, other than when it is known that a new system is coming.

This early in the lifespan of the system, for them to not beat out 07 when the price point was higher is not too good for them. What really makes this even worse is the amount of software of the same title selling sooo much more on the 360.

Sony is pretty much fucked no matter what at this point. Anything they do, MS can counter them. I have both systems and love each one, but the PS name is not the same PS name it was the last two generations.

TheFatOne

Flying_Phoenix said:

Okay not to troll since I'm trying not to imply that this is a bad game or will fop or something but WTF? I mean judging from these clips this game has to have some of the most ridiculously easy auto-aim and easy kills ever. I mean the player isn't even aiming at the flying enemy most of the time and manages to blow it up, then he misses every shot but one to a soldier and they instantly die. Is it on like ultra-easy or something to demostrate the game?

Maybe it's just late and I'm missing something but seriously.

The first one to me looks like maybe lag IDK. From what I understand there is no auto assist in Killzone 2. Better to watch the entire clip for the second gif. In the second gif the player catches the flying machine with 5 maybe six shots I think that's all it takes not sure. My bad on the gifs.

http://www.eurogamer.pt/videos/killzone-2-gameplay-6

Rez>You said:
firstly, thanks for throwing another 15mb download at me

If you're worried about gifs then Gaf isn't the place to go ESPECIALLY NPD threads.

Rez>You said:
secondly, stop shitting this thread up. there's a KZ2 thread that is already shit central (with the occasional good post or two, don't get me wrong), use that thread

*Cat Hiss*

TheFatOne said:
The first one to me looks like maybe lag IDK. From what I understand there is no auto assist in Killzone 2. Better to watch the entire clip for the second gif

http://www.eurogamer.pt/videos/killzone-2-gameplay-6

I see thanks.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Flying_Phoenix said:
If you're worried about gifs then Gaf isn't the place to go ESPECIALLY NPD threads.

*Cat Yell*

Top Bottom