• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

The lack of GT5 is absolutely amazing. I did not expect that. I'm very happy for Donkey kong and I hope Epic Mickey's decent sales change the minds of big pubs when it comes to big budget games on the Wii.

Oh, and if those 360 numbers are right I expect the Wii to outsell it.

Arnie

And they told me I was stupid for suggesting the US wouldn't give two shits about Gran Turismo 5. I was right.

Need hardware numbers. It seems Nintendo killed it this month, with so much software in the top 10 and over 2 million consoles sold.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Retro making it back to the top 10 of the NPD for the first time since they released their last game.
Top 10 with sub-200k sales is no where close to being one of the biggest games in the biggest month.

GhaleonEB

Jtyettis said:
Where is the Wii number? Supposed to be 2.3M+ right? Where ya at Nintendo and hopefully we get the PS3 number.
Kinda hoping Sony points to month over month growth again in their PR again, myself.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
V_Arnold said:
Yeah, once Sony sells enough PS3+GT5 bundles. That is not really an achievement.

<sigh>

Here we go, I guess the GT5 bashing starts here does it?, GT5 will do more than fine bundled or not, fact.

iammeiam

mclaren777 said:
The lack of GT5 is astounding to me. I figured it would easily be in the top five. Yikes! :eek:

It makes me really, really curious for how Sony will spin it. Might be easier for them to just pretend GT5 didn't happen.

h3ro

Chakan said:
So GT5 only sold well on Europe and Japan?

Shame on you America. It's a good game. :D

It's a freaking FANTASTIC driving experience with solid online features (shoutouts to the SuperGT-GAF league!).

It's a shit game.

V_Ben

Banned
iammeiam said:
It makes me really, really curious for how Sony will spin it. Might be easier for them to just pretend GT5 didn't happen.

They'll keep talking about worldwide sales.

Kusagari

GT was never as popular in the US as the rest of the world. GT2/3 were the high point and then it was on a downward spiral. GT4 did nowhere near as well here as everywhere else and Prologue was barely a blip.

mm04

Every month, I always forget that it's "new" NPD and that we have to sift through articles and do detective work to get the big picture. When I clicked on Evilore's OP, I expected to see console numbers and then reality set in. Oh well, we'll know in the next 24 hours or so!

FrankT

"In 2010, the Xbox 360 platform was the only system to enjoy a year-over-year increase in unit sales over 2009

PS3 needed what 1.3 to match 09?

Psychotext said:
So... based on the 360 being the only console that's up YoY we can say that the PS3 must be under 1.21m in December.

Beaten I see.

GeoramA

Neuromancer said:
Mickey's really the only real surprise for me on the software chart.
I haven't played any of the top 10 games :lol

Plan on buying AC: Brotherhood sometime this year if I find the time.

Shame about how Epic Mickey turned out, but the sales mean that Junction Point is unlikely to be shut down despite Disney's apparent move away from core-oriented games. Hopefully, Disney will actually give their next game the development time it deserves.

Zachack

markatisu said:
Why should I keep that in mind, that is what a big time game is supposed to have
Without any actual numbers it's hard to say if it actually did well relative to its brand/advertising.

Kusagari said:
GT was never as popular in the US as the rest of the world. GT2/3 were the high point and then it was on a downward spiral. GT4 did nowhere near as well here as everywhere else and Prologue was barely a blip.

Gran Turismo 3,990 1998/05/12
Gran Turismo 2 3,960 1999/12/23
Gran Turismo 3 7,140 2001/07/10
Gran Turismo 4 3,060 2005/02/22
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 1,210 2008/04/15
Gran Turismo PSP 700 2009/10/01

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Grecco

Arnie said:
And they told me I was stupid for suggesting the US wouldn't give two shits about Gran Turismo 5. I was right.

Need hardware numbers. It seems Nintendo killed it this month, with so much software in the top 10 and over 2 million consoles sold.

Way back when GTPSP bombed i remember saying GT5 would bomb too

Fantastical

Death Prophet
markatisu said:
Why should I keep that in mind, that is what a big time game is supposed to have
Eh, I didn't mean to really phrase it that way. I just meant that it's not really that surprising that it's in the Top 10 with the huge marketing campaign that it had. I've never seen so much advertising for a Wii exclusive 3rd party game before. I'm wondering the cost vs. benefit.

Chris1964 said:
There is big difference between shipments and sales.

53lh8n.png

Jtyettis said:
Where is the Wii number? Supposed to be 2.3M+ right? Where ya at Nintendo and hopefully we get the PS3 number.

It pretty much must be if the OP post is correct. Perhaps that is without WoW.

In that quote, MS said it's top 10 "console" game.

Opiate

lowrider007 said:
<sigh>

Here we go, I guess the GT5 bashing starts here does it?, GT5 will do more than fine bundled or not, fact.

I think we can agree on something in the middle, here.

By the standards of ye average video game -- even ye average "blockbuster" video game -- Gran Turismo 5 will do quite well.

By the standards of the franchise known as Gran Turismo, this would be a precipitous drop even if it does eventually reach your suggested, optimistic total of 8 Million sold. And at the same time, it is reasonable to assume that the game was (by a wide margin) the most expensive GT game thus far.

Is that a success or a failure? I think it's in between, and depends on perspective. If anyone is worried that there won't be a GT6, however, that's crazy.

Souldriver said:
I'm glad that Epic Mickey does well, just to add fuel to the fire of the "Third Parties & Wii" debate. :)
I think it's been pretty obvious all along that a 3rd party exclusive always had a chance at success if A. the developers put a modicum of effort in B. it was in a genre with broad appeal. That's why it's been so frustrating watching as people used shit like niche brawlers and watered down spin-offs as a metric. It's hard to overstate the amount of lost opportunity on the Wii from big publishers this generation. They could have made a killing if not for their own pigheaded stubbornness.

FrankT

Hiro_Kunimi_80 said:
Gran Turismo 3,990 1998/05/12
Gran Turismo 2 3,960 1999/12/23
Gran Turismo 3 7,140 2001/07/10
Gran Turismo 4 3,060 2005/02/22
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 1,210 2008/04/15
Gran Turismo PSP 700 2009/10/01

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

On average about 4.5M then for the mainlines.

antiquegamer said:
In that quote, MS said it's top 10 "console" game.

Right, though this comment from OP is from NPD's Annita Fraizer;

"On an SKU basis, games that are in the top 10 for the month that aren't reflected in our title-level best-selling list include Kinect Sports from Microsoft, UDraw Studio with UDraw Tablet from THQ, and Dance Central from Microsoft.

It seems simply console side top ten like we hae last year for comparison so just comparing last years at least 500k for Dance Central for the month.

Tabz

Did Sony advertise GT5 well in NA? coz honestly it's been in the oven for a long time and most gamers probably forgot about it.Comon- 5 freakin years!! FIVE YEARS,almost half a decade!.They should have made a bigger advertising campaign :(

Screw you Kaz.

Top Bottom