• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

Zzoram

WoW Cataclysm was a super easy digital purchase. Just click a few buttons and never worry about it again. Especially easy since a lot of WoW players log in to the website regularly to renew their subscription anyways.

On an SKU basis, games that are in the top 10 for the month that aren't reflected in our title-level best-selling list include Kinect Sports from Microsoft, UDraw Studio with UDraw Tablet from THQ, and Dance Central

Nice to see Kinect Sports and Dance Central selling well!

apana

Sales of Epic Mickey indicate hope for future Banjo Kazooie game. People are willing to play 3D platformers that aren't connected to Mario in anyway.

Why For?

Banned
lowrider007 said:
<sigh>

Here we go, I guess the GT5 bashing starts here does it?, GT5 will do more than fine bundled or not, fact.

Compared to what?

Regular games? Or other AAA games 6 years in development, and 'system sellers'?

Kenka

So top 10 individual SKU contains probably :

01. Just Dance 2 ---> Anita Frazier said it was top SKU this month so it is above 1.8 M (cause CoD sold approximatively 3.6 M copies this month - 12M compared to 8.4M last month)
02. CoD (360)
03. COD (PS3)
04. Cataclysm ?
05. DKC ?
06. Epic Mickey ?
07. AssBro (360)
08. Michael Jackson ? Mario Kart Wii (Anita said only two Wii third party exclusives in the top 10 so let's put this one)
09. Kinect Sports ?
10. uDraw ?
xx. Mario Kart Wii ?

edit : this top 10 is useless, Anita says that Dance Central charts into Top 10 while Microsoft says the contrary. Who can we believe ?

plufim

Chakan said:
So GT5 only sold well on Europe and Japan?

Shame on you America. It's a good game. :D
Actually, the Japan sales dropped off very quickly, and weren't as high as the best of the series either.

GT5 only has legs in Europe.

[Nintex]

apana said:
Sales of Epic Mickey indicate hope for future Banjo Kazooie game. People are willing to play 3D platformers that aren't connected to Mario in anyway.
Already cancelled in 2009 or so. No new Banjo for at least another 2 years if they started working on a new Banjo project this year.

Linkified

Kenka said:
So top 10 individual SKU contains probably :

01. Just Dance 2 ---> Anita Frazier said it was top SKU this month so it is above 1.8 M (cause CoD sold approximatively 3.6 M copies this month - 12M compared to 8.4M last month)
02. CoD (360)
03. COD (PS3)
04. Cataclysm ?
05. DKC ?
06. Epic Mickey ?
07. AssBro (360)
08. Michael Jackson ?
09. Kinect Sports ?
10. uDraw ?
xx. Mario Kart Wii ?

You have missed Dance Central which is supposed to be on that list.

LM4sure

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I think it's been pretty obvious all along that a 3rd party exclusive always had a chance at success if A. the developers put a modicum of effort in B. it was in a genre with broad appeal. That's why it's been so frustrating watching as people used shit like niche brawlers and watered down spin-offs as a metric. It's hard to overstate the amount of lost opportunity on the Wii from big publishers this generation. They could have made a killing if not for their own pigheaded stubbornness.

Wait, how did the Goldeneye game do on the Wii? I didn't think it did very well.

Zachack

apana said:
You're right, it only requires what may be the world's most recognizable cultural icon.

Majine

Banned
I listen to a podcast yesterday, and they mentioned some numbers they got. Don't quote me on this, but...

DS - 2.4 million
Wii - 2.2 million
360 - 1.9 million
PS3 - 1.1 million
PSP - 500 000

Americans might not bother, but for all the swedes: The podcast is Radiogamer episode 52.

Kafel

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Kinda hoping Sony points to month over month growth again in their PR again, myself.

Well, it's a classic from Sony now.

Andy+IIM.jpg

soldat7

nincompoop said:
You mean 3rd party Wii games can sell if the publishers don't treat their audience like lower-class citizens? Who woulda thunk it?

I'm pretty sure it had more to do with Mickey Mouse than anything the publishers did or didn't do.

soldat7 said:
I'm pretty sure it had more to do with Mickey Mouse than anything the publishers did or didn't do.

There have been a TON of disney games with classic characters that have sold like crap.....

TheOddOne

[Nintex] said:
Already cancelled in 2009 or so. No new Banjo for at least another 2 years if they started working on a new Banjo project this year.
Microsoft should really look into what Nintendo has been doing with its platformers, but next to that will that audience accept a non Nintendo platformer? I kinda don't think so.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Majine said:
I listen to a podcast yesterday, and they mentioned some numbers they got. Don't quote me on this, but...

DS - 2.4 million
Wii - 2.2 million
360 - 1.9 million
PS3 - 1.1 million
PSP - 500 000

Americans might not bother, but for all the swedes: The podcast is Radiogamer episode 52.

If that is correct, it puts the Wii and 360 very close for the year.

Although had the 360 beaten the Wii (for the year), we would know about it by now.

FrankT

Majine said:

DS - 2.4 million
Wii - 2.2 million
360 - 1.9 million
PS3 - 1.1 million
PSP - 500 000

Not sure how they would get those numbers, but if 2.2M is correct it would be a near virtual tie for the year between Wii and 360 iirc. I thought Nintendo said at least 2.3.

Or are those some analyst figure? I know EEDAR has 360 had 1.9.

If 360 had zero supply constraints I believe they would have cleared that easily.

plufim

While Epic Mickey had questionable quality, it is a good thing it sold well, as it might encourage disney to allow mote experimentation. Had it bombed, then they would have gone right back to their usual tripe. Now we might see more unusual takes on the disney properties, and more exploration of their older IP.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Majine said:

DS - 2.4 million
Wii - 2.2 million
360 - 1.9 million
PS3 - 1.1 million
PSP - 500 000

That sounds reasonable actually.

Tabz said:
Did Sony advertise GT5 well in NA? coz honestly it's been in the oven for a long time and most gamers probably forgot about it.Comon- 5 freakin years!! FIVE YEARS,almost half a decade!.They should have made a bigger advertising campaign :(

Screw you Kaz.
They had the senior vice president of douchiness doing tv ads constantly for GT5. It was impossible to miss if you watched any sports or prime time television for at least a month. Then they transitioned more heavily into the "it only does everything" type ad. So yeah, it had a lot of advertising.

Kenka

Linkified said:
You have missed Dance Central which is supposed to be on that list.

To be truthful, I think you're right but Microsoft said that they only have three games in the top 10, so it's conflictual with what Anita says.

Barrett2

Mojojo said:
I am scared for PS3 HW numbers... could it be lower than december 2009?
They *apparently* had zero compelling holiday release window games, plus it's been a long time since a price drop. Those two things combined for a sales disaster. Sucks for them, because their 2011 software lineup is fucking fantastic.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Majine said:

DS - 2.4 million
Wii - 2.2 million
360 - 1.9 million
PS3 - 1.1 million
PSP - 500 000

No. EEDAR predictions.

antonz

TheOddOne said:
Microsoft should really look into what Nintendo has been doing with its platformers, but next to that will that audience accept a non Nintendo platformer.

The issue has always been an audience one at least until Kinect. 360 did not draw in gamers who gave a shit about Banjo or similar games. Yes the hardcore on gaf who own the 360 like those games but lets be real for most the 360 is that Call of Duty Console.

szaromir

Banned
I need to know Reach number, how it's tracking vs Halo 3 (how much lower). It wasn't too far behind after November, but H3 did 740k in December 07, Reach is likely way below that.

plufim

LM4sure said:
Wait, how did the Goldeneye game do on the Wii? I didn't think it did very well.
It has done surprisingly well in Europe, with sales increasing over christmas. It has handily outsold HD bond game of this year.

Kusagari

06nbarnhill said:
There have been a TON of disney games with classic characters that have sold like crap.....

Those Disney games didn't have the same budget and marketing onslaught Epic Mickey did.

TheOddOne

antonz said:
The issue has always been an audience one at least until Kinect. 360 did not draw in gamers who gave a shit about Banjo or similar games. Yes the hardcore on gaf who own the 360 like those games but lets be real for most the 360 is that Call of Duty Console.
The image is slowly changing though, they should do another crack at it.

watership

Kusagari said:
GT was never as popular in the US as the rest of the world. GT2/3 were the high point and then it was on a downward spiral. GT4 did nowhere near as well here as everywhere else and Prologue was barely a blip.

What? GT was huge.

Ridley327

Kenka said:
To be truthful, I think you're right but Microsoft said that they only have three games in the top 10, so it's conflictual with what Anita says.
It's possible that she wouldn't count Dance Central since MS is largely acting as a distributor with MTV Games being the "actual" publisher, similar to the deal that Rock Band had with EA.

Top Bottom