• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Not really surprising, it's Disney after all. The appeal of those franchises is huuuuuuge.

Still, with three solid years of Skylanders getting the brand recognition, I am surprised Disney came out on top with just one game. Figured they would have to build up to that, and maybe with Infinity 2 or something.

AngryMoth

If 3DS really did only sell 1 million I think that's a little concerning for Nintendo. After an incredible year of software plus having the 2DS now it deserved to do a lot better. Not an encouraging sign that it's already waining when they're relying on it so much at the moment.

Effer

It's more like a race horse that keeps falling behind the rest of the pack, and a trainer who doesn't give a shit. And if they suddenly did give a shit, its bad shape would show through and it'd break its leg in the middle of the race.

You know how this story ends.

SRQH7hf.png

Griss

Pretty lame NPD. No stunningly good or bad numbers, everything just a little below what the consensus prediction was. Everyone able to claim some kind of flawed victory (bar Wii U, we don't know what they did yet). All that's left is the Wii U numbers.

The Nintendo quarterly thread is going to be where the fireworks happen.

Effect

Nintendo is so incredibly stupid for not having Mario Kart in November.

I mean, they've botched this entire generation and it wouldn't have saved them, but it still would have moved more consoles.

So much more then that. They were incredibly stupid for not bothering to advertise the Wii U at all for an entire damn year (even if they were just pushing the system and brand without any games things would have been significantly better) and only having a token offering on that front with Super Mario 3D World. The failure is actually impressive in a way. It's as if they purposefully made the effort to make sure they didn't do the most basic things when advertising a product.

Part of me actually wishes the Wii U numbers were insanely bad. If only to fire up the investors even more so they really lay into Iwata. Go for his head to make him, Miyamoto, etc really understand just how bad they really F'd this up.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The PS4 selling more in no way validates the silly rumor. Do we know exactly when both companies started manufacturing finished boxes (I was under the impression Sony had a head start there)? MS got a tremendous number of systems to stores in short order, which shows there was no where near the problem that fear mongers were suggesting.
MajorNelson pointed out that the Xbox One got their FCC approval before the PS4, which could indicate that they started production earlier as they were ready earlier.

guek

Banned
Bad news?

Not really, but the system is down YoY. That's not good, whatever you might try to explain it.

Your rhetoric being that something not being "good" is equivocally "bad." That's what you're trying to say without saying it's a poor showing outright. The 3DS could be down YoY and still be relatively healthy.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Depends. Is 130k less than the Gamecube's 2nd December "flailing"? Is 1.4 million less than the Gamecube's equivalent LTD (especially when it's only sold 2 million) "flailing"?

It's worse than the Gamecube and falling behind fast. I think most people would say that's pretty bad.

I'm not surprised though in all honesty. The GameCube had quite a few good games at this point in its life and still had multiplatform support at this point in time. The Wii U has had so few famous first party titles imo.

1st Party:
GC: 2001 - Pikmin, Super Smash Bros Melee, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race: Blue Storm
2002 - Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 4, Metroid Prime
Wii U: 2012 - NSMBU, Nintendo Land
2013 - (nothing in 1st 6 months), latter half - Game & Wario, Luigi U (if you're counting DLC....), Wii U Party, Pikmin 3 and 3D World - until the latter two titles, everything is pretty much forgettable in terms of retail

itsgreen

Jesus fuck.

Guys can we make up our minds...?

My memo clearly states BOTH Nintendo and Microsoft are doomed. What. The. Fuck.

Evo_Nine

Banned
Imagine the sales once titanfall and halo hit the shelves.

Sony has to release something big in 2014, ie a naughty dog game, or else I cant see it keeping up with the x1 in America.

Kouriozan

Not really surprising, it's Disney after all. The appeal of those franchises is huuuuuuge.
Nintendo really needed to make a game like that, "Nintendo Universe"
Hopefully weak Wii U performance will triggers some changes in the company.
Please wake up Nintendo!

Gestault

Guys, I just got back from the Target near me. They had piles of 3DS systems, but not one Vita in stock. I think things are about to turn around for the Vita. (crosses fingers)

I think it's almost a guarantee that the version of Titanfall that nobody knows anything about whatsoever at this point will probably sell better than the other two.

The X1 version will sell well. Personally, I'll buy the the best version (PC), or the one all my friends will be playing on (x360, though I'd have to get a few months of Gold too). Absolutely Zero need for an X1

It just makes me sad to see Wii U and Vita doing as poorly as they are doing. Wii U, of course, because it's finally getting great games, and the market is not responding. A crime that Knack can sell better than Mario 3D World in any territory, genuinely.

But Vita especially hurts. When I see for example Kojima showing Remote play of the latest Metal Gear game on Vita, all I can think of is that with gaming dedicated handheld hardware slowly decreasing in all corners (including 3DS, gen over gen), that handheld hardware will probably never support games of that scope in a healthy market. And unless controllers gain traction in the iOS market, we've probably only got one or two more gens of a dedicated gaming handheld hardware being as it is without something seriously changing.

I think the main problem with handheld this generation is not only that they didn't expected smartphones, but I also think this might have been the generation where handhelds were the most expensive ones.

Phades

It didn't slow down in sales. They sold every unit they could make very quickly. If you have been paying attention to the retail threads you would know that the demand for PS4 is significantly higher. The difference is they were not just focussing on sending all their stock to the US. The fact that MS has unit sitting on the store shelves for a month and still didn't break a million is more concerning for them.

Ehrm. If the Xbox sold 900k in December and it was the highest selling console for the generation in that month (meaning it sold more than the PS4 did in the same month) that would mean it sold less than the 1.1 million than the PS4 sold in November (US only) meaning a sales slow down over the course of the month. Broken down further, this would demonstrate that Sony shipped fewer units to the US over the course of December when compared to November. This, however, has absolutely no bearing on market demand of the unit. This is why I also mentioned the saturation of Xbox1s.

Anything else I can help you with or are you good now?

Guys, I just got back from the Target near me. They had piles of 3DS systems, but not Vita in stock. I think things are about to turn around for the Vita. (crosses fingers)

They have piles of 3DS systems because they are selling lots. Just because a system is well stocked does not mean it isn't selling (see Xbox One).

chadboban

Pretty lame NPD. No stunningly good or bad numbers, everything just a little below what the consensus prediction was. Everyone able to claim some kind of flawed victory (bar Wii U, we don't know what they did yet). All that's left is the Wii U numbers.

The Nintendo quarterly thread is going to be where the fireworks happen.

Vita numbers as well, unless they were posted earlier and I missed it.

I know everyone is going for hardware numbers, but something in that yearly software list pops out at me.

Disney Infinity beat Skylanders Swap-Force for the year. That seems pretty impressive for a game released just to take a chunk of Activisions market with Skylanders.
Comparative brand power of Disney/Pixar's properties probably helped a lot.
A million sales is bad news if you look at what ppl are saying about 3DS. It's GAF. THERE ARE NO GOOD SALES lol
In 2012, 5.6M Nintendo handhelds were sold in the US.

In 2013, as the NDS has collapsed, if the 3DS "only" sells a million units in December, ~4.5M handhelds will have been sold.

A million units isn't "bad", but that's not a "good" trend.

What's going to outsell it? Dark Souls II has great pull in the hardcore community, but it won't top Titanfall. Infamous? Launching on one console, I don't think so.

There is this game made by Kojima studios that has a huge fanbase, its called MGS ground zeroes, heard of it? Plus Diablo 3 expansion will also be launching in March.

Titanfall will have some very strong competition, so anyone thinking it will destroy everything is spewing hyperbole.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The biggest news here is the software sales. In spite of the PS4 selling more hardware Xbox versions of games higher in many major franchises in the top 10.

Something I did not really foresee.

The PS4 being out of stock everywhere helped MS with the X1. Let's see how sells continue once PS4s are readily available at retail. Took another trip today, still no PS4s, but of course they had X1s on the shelf.

Guys, I just got back from the Target near me. They had piles of 3DS systems, but not one Vita in stock. I think things are about to turn around for the Vita. (crosses fingers)

Pretty sure that means Ouya is going to sell really well but more importantly did you check the duck versus geese stock situation?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sony, you fools.You should have concentrated in the only countries that matter /sarcasm

I think it's good to see this even though anyone rational can see what happened in the states. Supply is clearly not there for PS4 and MSFT flooded the US. If Sony plays its cards right and markets then they should dominate WW.

Steel

Banned
Guys, I just got back from the Target near me. They had piles of 3DS systems, but not Vita in stock. I think things are about to turn around for the Vita. (crosses fingers)

Would be nice but doubt it. To add to the anecdotal hope train though, I will say that the best buy near me only had one vita in the back bin karts they use as easy access storage, and the wal mart and target near me were sold out.

My guess is, they had like a grand total of 5 vitas a piece rather than they sold an absurd amount. But hope springs eternal and all that.

Sandfox

The system is already cheap enough, further price drop won't help the system much more. And Smash Bros portable performance is in the air, considering is the first portable installment.

Nintendo already used almost all their bullets. They don't have much software that could compare to this year.

A price drop getting the 2DS down to $100 year-round and lowering the prices of the OG and XL models for the people who want a cheap 3DS but don't like the 2DS could do decent. That combined with the right SW along with the continued sales of games like Pokemon could lead to a decent enough year for the 3DS.

Would be more insane if the same thing hadn't happened the previous gen transition (PS2 domination to Wii domination).

I'm not downplaying the Wii's phenomenal success, but Wii sales evapourated pretty quickly in the last few years and the battle to be the platform for HD gaming between the PS3 and 360 has continued.

The PS2, while appealing more to the same audience audience as the competition, steamrolled so hard that 'second place' wasn't even meaningful in gen 6.

Top Bottom