• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

DaBoss

It's been an hour already and Nintendo still have not yet had time to finish their press release. They must be having a hard time spinning December results, specially 3DS if it has really sold way less than last year. A year where the only big Holiday title was Paper Mario: Sticker Star.
And there is the fact that Pokemon has been released and a cheaper revision being available this year. Pretty disappointing.

mo60

Man where is a gif of Scar throwing Mufasa off the cliff and Simba watching when you need one? I was going to make one but I can't seem to find a gif! ;_;

Sadly don't have the movie on hand to make it and the YT videos are all terrible quality

But here anyways

Scar = Gamers
Mufasa = Wii U
Simba = Iwata
Wildebeests = Casuals

Poor Wii U. Sold the most it could but probably didn't even break 300k.

The other results are as expected. The PS4 probably sold in the upper 700k range depending on the supply.

The only good news for Nintendo was the 3DS.

The WiiU sold over 460K in december in the US.

Jamix012

"We're all dying, but I'm going to be the last to die so I win!!!!!1111"

Extreme analogy, but that does show that it is a shallow victory if it is declining this early.

Everything in life is relative. If you're the last survivor of a Zombie Apocalypse, even if you're starving and missing a leg, that's a victory. If the industry is declining having the highest selling hardware in most cases usually doesn't mean that you can be blamed for the decline, but people view things different I suppose.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's been an hour already and Nintendo still have not yet had time to finish their press release. They must be having a hard time spinning December results, specially 3DS if it has really sold way less than last year. A year where the only big Holiday title was Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

...or maybe what they released some days ago will be considered enough. They did the same in December 2011, despite 3DS selling 1,6 millions in December.

ascii42

Probably waiting to surprise us all by telling us it sold 10 units for the month. Would be an increase of 410% over past month

"Vita outsold the PS2, the best selling console of all time, for the month in December 2013"

I hope

Honestly I'm kind of disappointed in this NPD

I would've expected at least one of the next gen systems to break a million in sales, 3DS seems down YOY, Wii U is doing as well as can be rationally expected and that's still real bad, and vita is going to be awful

Sandfox

not a single chance, 2013 year had pokemon and animal crossing and the 2ds. 2014 will be down alot in comparison.

Animal Crossing really isn't as big of a deal in the US as it is in Japan and Pokemon is more of a slow burn so this year could potentially be closer than some people are expecting. The perfromance of the 3DS HW in 2014 really depends on things like whether we get another price drop and what SW they end up lining up alongside Smash Bros.

Pain

Banned
I thought that the PS4 would slowdown in sales a bit, but I didn't think it would get passed by in 1 month totals like that given the saturation of xbox1s in the wild. Microsoft must have got a lot of inspiration from Wesker or something on what to do. The 360's sales totals are what surprise me the most given the next gen launched and how relatively close the numbers are to the new system and how old that system is already.

This makes the numbers for January through March more interesting to see how both the PS4 and Xbox1 settle into their jog, now that they finished with their sprints.
PS4 didn't get surpassed. Xbox One is still playing catch-up seeing as how PS4 is still the best-selling console of the two. It won December but that's about it. We can't really tell much from these numbers as there's so many factors at play here.

I guess we have to hold off on euthanizing the Wii U.

It's like a really sick pet, you almost hate to see it doing better because you know it's going to die horribly soon anyway. You just want resolution, whatever it may be.

It's more like a race horse that keeps falling behind the rest of the pack, and a trainer who doesn't give a shit. And if they suddenly did give a shit, its bad shape would show through and it'd break its leg in the middle of the race.

You know how this story ends.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
congrats Sony on your 2nd place finish, maybe next December. goodluck with Halo 5.
Home_Page.jpg

beast786

Why should Microsoft bother? They wasted countless millions on Japan with nothing to show for it and there are many European countries that are clearly indifferent to the Xbox brand.

So you are saying the fact they are incompetent in marketing and branding beside its home town. Then they should just admit there deficiencies and except it.

Again, sounds like a great business model . funny thing is they still lost that 1 market they so heavily stocked. PS4 still outsold it in 2013 . So should they give up on US also now!

Shocking. Also, those confirmed yield issues must have been terrible for Microsoft, they've barely been able to get any Xbox Ones to market.

I see this posted way too often, and it is rather silly.

I posted this in another thread, but it is appropriate:

Both camps (those who believe CBOAT and those that don't) have inconclusive evidence.

There's no way at all for either party to know if CBOAT was right or wrong -- short of Microsoft internal documents leaking.

They could have very well planned to produce enough for 18 countries (say, 5 million units), but due to yield issues, could only muster 3 million and decided to focus on 12 countries with ample stock instead.

Or, they could have planned to produce 3 million all along, and decided to just focus on 12 countries due to other reasons.

The current data supports both arguments.

In other words, there may or may not have been yield issues. The absolutely overstocked shelves in the US are no proof one way or another.

Where does everyone extrapolate that data?

Cream didn't give any numbers and Nintendo doesn't have any PR out yet.

It's in the OP

ShackNews via Road said:
However, while both new machines are having great, competitive launches, neither of them were able to beat Nintendo 3DS, the best selling system of 2013--not just December.​

"Hardware sales of the Wii U were also positive with December 2013 marking its highest month for unit sales month so far," NPD analyst Liam Callahan noted. Guess having great games does sell hardware, huh?​

http://www.shacknews.com/article/826...-3ds-comes-out

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Liam Callahan (analyst working with NPD) stated it in PR.

Thanks Aqua and Steve! Upon reading the quote though:

Hardware sales of the Wii U were also positive with December 2013 marking its highest month for unit sales month so far.

Wouldn't one conclude that it had its best month in 2013 so far and not include Nov and Dec data of 2012? As a result, wouldn't sales be lower than 460k or am I reading this wrong?

Over 460K for Wii U is flailing?

Depends. Is 130k less than the Gamecube's 2nd December "flailing"? Is 1.4 million less than the Gamecube's equivalent LTD (especially when it's only sold 2 million) "flailing"?

It's worse than the Gamecube and falling behind fast. I think most people would say that's pretty bad.

Amazing how MS did it. I know think it is going to be tough for Sony to win in NA, but they had a great start globally.

And Wii U the party pooper, everyone wanted <300k. Sorry.

Capella

3m Xbox Ones vs 4.2m PS4s.
I think those yield issues were very much real unless you are suggesting there's 1.2m Xbox Ones sitting on shelves collecting dust?
It's possible if they are manufacturing the same amount of consoles as Sony. I know we've only had anecdotal evidence so far but it doesn't seem like it's very hard to find an Xbox One in stores or online. MS doesn't seem be as supply constrained as Sony is right now.

Pain

Banned
Nope.

From the short time I've been here, I've noticed that anything that the extremists on NeoGAF think will happen, the opposite actually happens.

I'm beginning to see a trend.
Actually most people saw the Xbox One's December victory coming(me included).
Some people thought XBO wasn't selling because there were so many on shelves. Those of us a little less biased could see that it had a very high chance of outselling PS4 that month. In fact, I fully expect Xbox One to win January as well. Sony still hasn't sorted out its supply issues. I guess that's the downside for having a console with worldwide appeal.

Again, sounds like a great business model . funny thing is they still lost that 1 market they so heavily stocked. PS4 still outsold it in 2013 . So should they give up on US also now!

There is a vast difference to being a close second in one country (US) to absolutely last and selling miserably (Japan).

Top Bottom