• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

mgcastro

"Nintendo 3DS, the best selling system of all of 2013--not just December"

iFxUaw2ulxdiY.gif

Well deserved. It's a great system with great games. Looking forward to a F-Zero or Metroid game down the line.

So was Microsoft somewhat justified in not launching in so many territories at once, and keeping a large amount of stock for the major Tier 1 countries instead?

Absolutely. They identified their strongest (and most important) market.

And a fantastic come-back for the 3DS, I remember lots of threads proclaiming the death if it only a few years back.

You should have seen the Xbox one 3 million thread. People were posting pictures of stores with lots of Xbox ones in stock, and so many people were using that as proof for Microsoft lying. It was so ridiculous. I tried reasoning with them but they wouldn't listen.

what are you talking about, it's happening here too

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I want Dreamcast disease!

Chasing an ambulance or too may further you in that noble goal. They make a distinct sound so that you can identify them too. You may even find it an oddly familiar one!

TomShoe

Banned
When evil wins, people hate it.

Damn, the moderation is real.

They already diverted some supply. The US is not the end or be all market.

Agreed, there's no reason to panic because your competitor won one NPD. PS4s may still be in a worldwide supply drought, but those who are committed to purchasing their console of choice will wait for it. It was true back in '06, and I bet still stands now.

Effer

I guess we have to hold off on euthanizing the Wii U.

It's like a really sick pet, you almost hate to see it doing better because you know it's going to die horribly soon anyway. You just want resolution, whatever it may be.

beast786

And a fantastic come-back for the 3DS, I remember lots of threads proclaiming the death if it only a few years back.

Yea, that sure sounds a logical way to expand your market. only concentrate on your one market strength.

Amir0x

Banned
MIssed the Canada but as Canada is usually 1/10 of US numbers that would give us about 180k and we are still missing about 450k from 3 million. Italy, Australia, Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland (the last two are very small markets) making up that 450k? very hard to believe. Maybe MS has gotten little different numbers or they have just rounded it up from something like 2.8 million to 3 million.

Well, I hope we can do some digging and find out. As always, some people may be willing to slip these things under the rug, but consumers must be informed as to the truth or not coming from these major corporations they support with their money.

I am uncertain how close they can be, but we now have a real gap in almost everyone's calculations, and I think it's worth following up on

Hawk269

I wouldn't call it hate. With all the things MS has tried to pull this year, I'm not surprised people question their every statement. A lot of what they say doesn't add up as well.

It's a fact that the X1 sold well in Dec., but it's also a fact that the PS4 still leads overall in NA, Xbox's biggest region where the 360 sold 2 to 1 compared to PS3. And that's with very little supply. It also seems that there's plenty of X1s on shelves, so it really should have been able to do better.

I fully expected the X1 to outsell the PS4 in Dec. And I think it'll do so again in Jan. Once the PS4 is in stable stock though, they're not going to be winning much of anything. When the more mainstream audience starts jumping in, we'll see the real effect of the $100 price difference. WW it's already no contest, the Ps4 will dominate.

I agree, but some people can't come to grasps that this is just December's numbers only, that is it, nothing more, nothing less. There are a lot of meltdowns due to these numbers and I just don't get why some have such a deep, almost emotional attachment to their preferred console being outsold for only 1 month. It seems like some people want the competition to burn and burn to hell. I don't get that train of thought as competition is great for this industry. If it were not so, Sony would of not done such a great job with the PS4 as they have thus far.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Come back? It's declining. This really is like popgaf.

One of these two machines is $100 more expensive, which makes the way the Xbox One is performing insanely impressive no matter how one chooses to view this.

Despite 8 years of Xbox-dominance, the PS4 sold out and outsold the Xbox One last year.

This is the only insane news here.

The 3DS was already the top system of the year in November if I'm not mistaken, so that doesn't really tell us much.

Any indication from places like 2ch, or are we waiting for creamsugar to hopefully appear?

All rumors point to Sledgehammer.

Why can't they just have Raven make their next game instead of map packs. I'd actually be excited for that one.

On this thread it's not surprising how well X1 did since it was in supply almost everywhere. I think it will be neck and neck for the next few months with the PS4 having the edge until Titanfall, The Show and SS might sell a few consoles too but not as many.

Pain

Banned
One of these two machines is $100 more expensive, which makes the way the Xbox One is performing insanely impressive no matter how one chooses to view this. One can only imagine how the landscape would look if it were the same price as the PS4. Maybe there'd be no difference at all, but the Xbox One's price is without a doubt a factor. It's the primary reason that I myself still don't own one of my own.
)
Looking at overall 2013 sales in the US its not really that impressive. They lost. This is coming off the hugely successful Xbox 360 which had like a 30-month win-streak.

Assuming Sony gets its stock problems sorted out, Xbox One's price is going to become a huge problem. The early adopters are gone. These things will be selling mainly to the casuals now.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
One person says their evil, and apparently wasn't serious. But people are still on that post, lol.
And soon it will morph into "All of GAF hates Microsoft. They say they are evil while saying Nintendo-san and Sony-chan are angels."

Yea, that sure sounds a logical way to expand your market. only concentrate on your one market strength.

Why should Microsoft bother? They wasted countless millions on Japan with nothing to show for it and there are many European countries that are clearly indifferent to the Xbox brand.

Where are the meltdowns? I wanna see the meltdowns!!

Not surprising to me tbh; MS's channel stuffing strategy for NA seems to have paid off, but it's still just a short-term strategy. They sold roughly the same in December as November and that's with a glut of extra hardware on selves vs. Sony.

They obviously aren't supply constrained for demand in the States and just managed par for November. If Sony continues under-supplying the NA channels XBO can maintain the lead through January (drop-off shouldn't be THAT big). And PS4's Japanese launch will probably make February very close between them.

I'm gonna be honest; with TitanFall coming in March, and Driveclub/Infamous around that time too, I think NA sales between PS4 and XBO will stay pretty close until April-May, and I can see PS4 pulling ahead after that. This is more N64 vs. PS1, and it could even be SNES vs. Genesis close here in the States.

Gonna be PS2 domination for PS4 globally tho :)

chadskin

Despite 8 years of Xbox-dominance, the PS4 sold out and outsold the Xbox One last year.

This is the only insane news here.

Yup. Don't expect Sony to stomp MS into the ground in the US, saleswise. Leveling the playing field, or - as it looks to play out now - being slightly ahead is a huge, huge win for Sony.

Top Bottom