• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

Looking at overall 2013 sales in the US its not really that impressive. They lost. This is coming off the hugely successful Xbox 360 which had like a 30-month win-streak.

Assuming Sony gets its stock problems sorted out, Xbox One's price is going to become a huge problem. The early adopters are gone. These things will be selling mainly to the casuals now.

Something tells me they'll be just fine...

shink

It's ok. Much like fans of many pop artists, the fans have to remember the good old days. 3ds is like me buying Britney Jean and secretly hoping its Britney in the package. Such is life.

Finally a reference I can understand.

Pain

Banned
Shocking. Also, those confirmed yield issues must have been terrible for Microsoft, they've barely been able to get any Xbox Ones to market.
3m Xbox Ones vs 4.2m PS4s.
I think those yield issues were very much real unless you are suggesting there's 1.2m Xbox Ones sitting on shelves collecting dust?

3DS doing great!! It faced 2 console launches and a table/phone era, no matter how you put it, it is doing great.

Wii U the party pooper as everyone wanted <300k. Lol at people saying 500k is still bad, yeah, I know, but it needs anything it can get, no matter how you spin it, it is positive taking how it was selling.

One of these two machines is $100 more expensive, which makes the way the Xbox One is performing insanely impressive no matter how one chooses to view this.

Microsoft also spent probably around 10 times as much marketing it than Sony did the PS4 in December. Finally not seeing a ridiculous amount of Xbox One ads anymore.

Mrbob

Sony isn't releasing Vita numbers because they didn't want to shame the PS4 by letting the world know how much it sold versus their shiny new toy.

In taking a risk to sounding like a fool, where does it say in the OP it's declining? I feel like I've looked over it a couple times but don't see 3DS numbers mentioned...

One million this year versus 1.25 million last year.

Phades

I thought that the PS4 would slowdown in sales a bit, but I didn't think it would get passed by in 1 month totals like that given the saturation of xbox1s in the wild. Microsoft must have got a lot of inspiration from Wesker or something on what to do. The 360's sales totals are what surprise me the most given the next gen launched and how relatively close the numbers are to the new system and how old that system is already.

This makes the numbers for January through March more interesting to see how both the PS4 and Xbox1 settle into their jog, now that they finished with their sprints.

Where are the meltdowns? I wanna see the meltdowns!!
There isn't a lot to meltdown over, the results are a pretty mixed bag for everyone.

3DS doing pretty well while the Wii U flails, despite having a better than expected December.

360 and XB1 top December for home consoles, but they can't claim to be the best selling of the 8th gen.

Sony remains in the lead for the new gen, but can crow about still being in the cumulative lead (while ignoring the Wii U.)

AzaK

Damn, Wii U over 460K....

There isn't a lot to meltdown over, the results are a pretty mixed bag for everyone.
3DS doing pretty well while the Wii U flails, despite having a better than expected December.
360 and XB1 top December for home consoles, but they can't claim to be the best selling of the 8th gen.
Sony remains in the lead for the new gen, but can crow about still being in the cumulative lead (while ignoring the Wii U.)

Over 460K for Wii U is flailing?

Alebrije

MIssed the Canada but as Canada is usually 1/10 of US numbers that would give us about 180k and we are still missing about 450k from 3 million. Italy, Australia, Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland (the last two are very small markets) making up that 450k? very hard to believe. Maybe MS has gotten little different numbers or they have just rounded it up from something like 2.8 million to 3 million.

Do not count Mexico , Xbone has moved pretty bad , you can still find One day editions everywhere. Since there are not numbers in Mexico´s market its hard to know how it moved .

Picture taken two days ago :
It1k26.jpg

Mexico´s market is the 13th in the world so even with a great sales it still does not represents a big number for any company.

Amir0x

Banned
Sony isn't releasing Vita numbers because they didn't want to shame the PS4 by letting the world know how much it sold versus their shiny new toy

Probably waiting to surprise us all by telling us it sold 10 units for the month. Would be an increase of 410% over past month

The numbers don't seem to add up and Famous Mortimer said he was told the real number was closer to 2.8 million which seems to be much more reasonable.

I don't trust that Mort guy for anything! Who's he ever beat?!

I like Mort and he likes Built to Spill like me so it's cool don't kill me noooooo

And yet, still the best selling gaming device :p

The declining part should be what you're worried about there...

P.S I hope they make another Ghost Trick

So that Takumi can stay the hell away from the superior franchise now :p

kswiston

Well it's up overall for this year. I'd bet it's the top console in the US for 2014 too. Risky bet I know, but I'm pretty confident.

I think there is little chance of the 3DS winning 2014 in the US. What is in the pipeline that will top this year? Both XB1 and PS4 are likely to have better Decembers than this year. Consoles usually improve on their launch holidays.

"We're all dying, but I'm going to be the last to die so I win!!!!!1111"

Extreme analogy, but that does show that it is a shallow victory if it is declining this early.

I think people should focus on straight numbers instead of "it goes up or goes down". Wii U made it's best performance this month... and yet I highly doubt those are good numbers.

Griss

We need to enter this:
tumblr_mzh2rud5Kd1rpeq1jo1_500.jpg

Fucking lol! This thread already delivers.

Waiting on those Wii U numbers. Think my 480k prediction could have been really close. Nintendo people in the malls I talked to said that December had been better than November. Of course they would say that, but I believed them.

It's all academic in the end... 100k plus or minus isn't going to save this system. But it might make me feel smart :)

Man where is a gif of Scar throwing Mufasa off the cliff and Simba watching when you need one? I was going to make one but I can't seem to find a gif! ;_;

Sadly don't have the movie on hand to make it and the YT videos are all terrible quality

But here anyways

Scar = Gamers
Mufasa = Wii U
Simba = Iwata
Wildebeests = Casuals

Poor Wii U. Sold the most it could but probably didn't even break 500k.

The other results are as expected. The PS4 probably sold in the upper 700k range depending on the supply.

The only good news for Nintendo was the 3DS.

Pain

Banned
Something tells me they'll be just fine...
Let me guess, this "something" is December NPD results?
I'm sure they will be fine, but will they dominate like they did last gen? I don't think so. They'll be lucky to win with that $500 price tag. This months results don't prove anything. Just look at the Wii U.

No, I'm not implying XBO will go the way of the Wii U.

GamerJM

Banned
Yup. Don't expect Sony to stomp MS into the ground in the US, saleswise. Leveling the playing field, or - as it looks to play out now - being slightly ahead is a huge, huge win for Sony.

To be fair, Sony had a decade of dominance during the PS1/2 days and Microsoft was able to basically destroy Sony when the PS3 first came out.

This is definitely a win for Sony but it's not as big of a win as it could be.

Bruno MB

It's been an hour already and Nintendo still have not yet had time to finish their press release. They must be having a hard time spinning December results, specially 3DS if it has really sold way less than last year (1.25M). A year where the only big Holiday title was Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Riki

It's been an hour already and Nintendo still have not yet had time to finish their press release. They must be having a hard time spinning December results, specially 3DS if it has really sold way less than last year. A year where the only big Holiday title was Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

"3DS Best selling system for December and 2013. WiiU best month ever."

Done. No spin needed.

antitrop

Why can't they just have Raven make their next game instead of map packs. I'd actually be excited for that one..

Call of Duty has become an assembly-line amalgamation of like 4 different developers, anyway. Raven will probably have significant input into the multiplayer of CoD 2014. They did almost the entire MP of MW3 themselves, while IW was being reformed.

Top Bottom