• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

Yawnier

Banned
Within context it makes sense

MS had three relatively big titles for launch with DR3, Forza and Ryse

Sony had KZ and Knack

If we count digital stuff then there games like Loco Cycle and KI on the side of MS vs Resogun

So basically XBone first and second party numbers were gonna be larger anyways

Yeah, given the gap and the exclusives on both sides that does make sense.

When do Nintendo usually release their PR for NPD ? You would think they have been fast with 3DS selling a million units and WiiU having it's best month ever up against PS4 and Xbone !

We must wait for our NPD lord and savior, creamsugar. Then we will get some good stuff.

Griss

Yes lol, he just inadvertently revealed that info. Probably scramble to tweet that out and forgot what was hidden behind his little troll pr. Lol...

But there's nothing embarrassing about it. The XB1 had stronger exclusives, which sold more than Sony's did. Because of that, consumers were less likely to purchase 3rd party games. That's just normal.

The important part is that XB1 had a substantial overall software lead, which to me is counter-intuitive and pretty impressive.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Haha, Greenberg, you card. You just posted that third party games sell more on PS4.

BVPCZQ7.gif

When do Nintendo usually release their PR for NPD ? You would think they have been fast with 3DS selling a million units and WiiU having it's best month ever up against PS4 and Xbone !

You do, of course, realize that Nintendo would be revealing combined numbers that are down year over year, which only continues a downward trend for their business. There is nothing for them to crow about for December, they might as well sit on the news until their quarterly financials.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, but I think the thing was given the sales people were expecting the PS4 ratio to crush the Xbox One and make EA and Activision reconsider those deals. I doubt that's the case, now.
I think its hard to say how the big picture will be since the PS4 seems to be supply constrained. But the difference in sales between the PS4 and Xbox One version for those games could be smaller than what people first thought, that is a possibility indeed.

His very next sentence is there to get you to believe the opposite is true. I think, regardless of why, he's hoping you're not so interested in the how.

I don't really see this mattering much. People buy games they want to buy. If you want Assassin's Creed, the fact that Ryse scored slightly better than Knack isn't going to change your preference.

well yeah, but the overall software disparity at retail being that high is actually interesting

Nice, Ryse did fairly well for a new IP that was consistently shit on for months.

I really hope Microsoft gives Crytek the opportunity to do a sequel. If given a few years I think they could make a pretty fantastic game when building off the first one.

The XBO SKUs selling more isn't really news, as it's already in the OP (SKU ordering is from highest to lowest.)

But I would have thought that releasing the numbers of first party (which really just amounts to Knack and Killzone I think?) Sony titles and total retail software for the PS4 wouldn't be permitted.

graywolf323

I wonder how the $10 upgrade program for PS3-PS4 games did.

interesting point, since it was handled through PSN the NPD wouldn't track them at all

we only know that they are consistently on top when Sony puts out the monthly PSN sales reports (though they never say how much anything sold)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/09/december-2013-playstation-store-top-sellers/

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/12/06/november-2013-playstation-store-top-sellers/

The X1 having a higher attach rate is impressive considering they didn't have a B2G1 that the PS4 did.

Again, this isn't considering digital games. Sony pushes digital game sales harder, not to mention deals with amazon now selling ps3 and ps4 games digitally, and there were so huge sales during black friday. I got AC4 and Ghosts digitally for ps4 for about 30 bucks each.

UberTag

#shotsfired

I wonder if sony will respond?
Doubtful. They've already conceded the United States to Microsoft and the U.S. is the only market MS frankly cares about due to stacking the deck. It's a battle that can't be won and Sony is far better off focusing on winning the profitability war worldwide. They've made great strides in rebounding their mindshare after the early years of PS3 blew up in their face and that's a token victory they should be proud of.

Bruno MB

@aarongreenberg: Last #NPD fact: 1st/2nd party (exclusives) SW sales for #XboxOne 1.5M units vs. 599K for PS4. Led by Dead Rising, Forza 5 and Ryse.

November 2013

KSF

DR3

FM5
SOR

KNACK

So around 370,000 units for Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall and around 620,000 for Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5 and Ryse: Son of Rome.

This would mean that in December Knack + Killzone: Shadow Fall sold around 229,000 units whereas the Xbox One trio did around 880,000.

Of course there is a certain margin of error because for example I counted 200k for both Forza 5 and Ryse while the range is 185k - 200k.

Edit: Now that I think about it, there were more Xbox One first or second party titles besides those 3?

interesting point, since it was handled through PSN the NPD wouldn't track them at all

we only know that they are consistently on top when Sony puts out the monthly PSN sales reports (though they never say how much anything sold)
You'd have to think that affected sales of retail PS4 versions of those games.

Griss

Haha, Greenberg, you card. You just posted that third party games sell more on PS4.

If it had been the other way around, people would be saying 'Lol, what happened to the XB1's famous advantage with exclusives!' They can't win there.

They sold 0.6m more games on XB1 than PS4. That's the takeaway. The fact that they had a higher share of their sales go to exclusives is not some failure.

Aaron Greenberg ‏@aarongreenberg 7m

@Steverulez DR3 526K, FM5 457K, RYSE 431K.

November:

Dead Rising 3: 212K
Forza Motorsport 5: 185-200K
Ryse: 185-200K

LTD:

Dead Rising 3: 738K
Forza Motorsport 5: 642-657K
Ryse: 616-631K

Portugeezer

so wait. if you add to of Greenberg statements than the main reason 4.8 vs 4.2 lead was due to first party? And if you take first/2nd party out, ps4 sold more 3rd party software.

Am I reading this right?

Seems so.

XB1 third party SW sales @ 3.3 million; PS4 third party SW sales @ 3.601 (lol 599) million

Bradf50

As an owner of both consoles I tend to root for both equally as possible. I don't normally get involved within sales wars (I do however like to keep an eye on them), however the Greenberg tweets popping up on my timeline is proper cringeworthy. Fair enough they're celebrating their 'small victory', in which I forgot to mention, congratulations to both Sony and MS for these great console launches. These tweets just reek of arrogance. I don't know if I'm taking them the wrong way (Is it just me?), but he's going look like a right twat 'IF' the PS4 leads next month in both software and hardware sales or any other month that it beats the Xbox One. What will he say? Jack shit I would have thought. Maybe it's a bit of banter for Xbox fans and I'm interpreting it wrongly (please tell me if I am). If Sony started to do the same shit I'd be enticed to create another post lol. I apologise if this post is too aggressive, I'd just like to know your thoughts on the matter.

Many thanks, Brad. :)

graywolf323

You'd have to think that affected sales of retail PS4 versions of those games.

well ACIV still sold more at retail on PS4 than XBO even with the upgrade deal but would be interesting to hear how close BF4 and COD Ghosts really are with it factored in

sadly we'll never know

Pain

Banned
Wow. MS getting cocky here. Hope Jan and Feb NPD numbers doesn't crash for the Xbone or they'll look a bit silly.
Well Sony being the silent type they leave themselves open to cheap shots.
Let MS brag about what little they have left.

B.O.O.M

Considering the hype surrounding Killzone before release, and all the B2G1 deals, I'm very shocked at that number.

Does NPD track Amazon?

KZ is basically 2-3 mil franchise. Don't let internet hype fool ya...if we go by internet hype Dark Souls would be a 20million seller :p

KZ/Knack did well for what they are and should keep selling for a while too

ps: also keep in mind, KZ is a FPS and it basically went head to head against BF and COD at launch. It's a very competitive market

But there's nothing embarrassing about it. The XB1 had stronger exclusives, which sold more than Sony's did. Because of that, consumers were less likely to purchase 3rd party games. That's just normal.

The important part is that XB1 had a substantial overall software lead, which to me is counter-intuitive and pretty impressive.

Yeah, well if we're going that route. Again, digital software, and the fact that why buy ps4 games when playstation plus is throwing free games at you left and right.

I've had more fun with Resogun for free than any of the xbox one's first party drivel. Except forza 5, that game is ace.

So there are really a lot of angles as to why software is higher on one than the other. Personally, I think it's just that the xbox one has the better software line up. Forza and Dead Rising 3 really give it an edge despite games performing better technically on ps4. Resogun can't compete with dead rising and forza. And killzone, what is one moderately successful FPS game to do?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
If it had been the other way around, people would be saying 'Lol, what happened to the XB1's famous advantage with exclusives!' They can't win there.

They sold 0.6m more games on XB1 than PS4. That's the takeaway. The fact that they had a higher share of their sales go to exclusives is not some failure.

They sold .6m more for NPD sources which are non-digital. He doesn't know jack about the real numbers.

Is it normal for one group to reveal NPD numbers relating to another group? Does each group get access to all the data for all sales, and then they can choose whatever they want to make public, even numbers for competitors?

Top Bottom