• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

horuhe

As always Xbox One did a good job! The price drop was needed to compete against PlayStation 4.

Good to see Smash Bros. charting out there. It is in the annual chart too, that's really amazing! How is presented January for Xbox One?

Mikey Jr.

Said it once and I'll say it again, Sony doesn't need to win America. Thats why they don't seem to be really going out of their way to win it like MS is.

Sony, besides maybe UK, has every other country in the world on lock. Fighting MS in their own home turf is a losing proposal.

At the end of the generation, MS will most likely have the most consoles sold in NA. But what is different this time versus previous generations is that the Playstation is in a MUCH better position than it was in previous generations.

Anyways, congrats to MS.

Sony lost a good opportunity to sell well in the holidays. The XBone is murdering it (or at least did so in the most important time of the year).

If the difference was only 100K I guess Sony was really smart in doing... nothing.

Sony didn't 'do nothing', there was that 4 game pick 1 bundle.

And while they weren't as good as XB1's, there were peaks and occasional days where PS4 had almost equivalent deals. (329 Wallmart standard SKU, Target card, etc)

RdN

Microsoft is hitting all the right notes.

Took the holiday season, games are selling better on it's platforms and now the $350 price point is permanent.

2015 will be VERY interesting.

If the difference was only 100K I guess Sony was really smart in doing... nothing.

I'm not so sure - losing out on GTA V sales has gotta sting, and is a bad sign. They put a lot of eggs in that basket. Sony's obviously got to play it safe, but MS was almost in a bad spot and now they're in a position of being able to dictate parity going forward again.

cakely

300px-100-Grand-Wrapper-Small.jpg
ish

Without digital, says less than one might initially think.

That would be ... much less of a difference than I would have thought.

jbug617

Banned
Sony was aggressive in December also. They had a free game promotion at most of the big retailers for most of December.

J-Skee

Would love to see how different or not different the software sales would be if bundles were also accounted for.

frizby

Embarrassing posts already. Agressive price cuts lead to sales. Always have, always will...provided the product is remotely appealing compared to competitors.

Holy shit @ XBO dominating almost all multiplatform games with the exception of Far Cry 4.

Sony needs to act fast.

Sony have 18.5 million reasons to think they're doing just fine, and they still haven't needed a price cut to compete in any region.

Foshy

I'm not so sure - losing out on GTA V sales has gotta sting, and is a bad sign. They put a lot of eggs in that basket. Sony's obviously got to play it safe, but MS was almost in a bad spot and now they're in a position of being able to dictate parity going forward again.

They have a GTA V bundle though. Bundle sales of sotware aren't being counted.

Zophar

Sony lost a good opportunity to sell well in the holidays. The XBone is murdering it (or at least did so in the most important time of the year).

Haha what is this BS, it still sold fantastically well in the holidays and enjoys a comfortable LTD lead in the US.

Anyway, glad MS' firesale got them the results they wanted. Let's see how they navigate the 2015.

Derpyduck

Banned
Are people mistaking the 100,000 jpeg as a reference to the difference between PS4 and Xbox One? I took it to be a reference to the Wii U sales numbers.

DNAbro

There's no surprise. Can't remember the numbers, but Sony stated that their digital sales are really thriving. PS4 introduced digital sales and the sales are really strong.

actually i wonder about that too. I just realized the last box game i bought for PS4 was infamous, i've been all digital since then.

Sony didn't 'do nothing', there was that 4 game pick 1 bundle.

And while they weren't as good as XB1's, there were peaks and occasional days where PS4 had almost equivalent deals. (329 Wallmart standard SKU, Target card, etc)

I remember Amazon offering 70$ gift card back with a Xbox One Unity bundle purchase. That's much more agressive.

Zabuza

Banned
Sting? Really? They didn't do much other than bundle it, and bundles aren't included I NPD.

And lol at dictating parity.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
it did fine in november.

people incorrectly equate "not being in the top 10 for the holiday season" with "a sales bomb"

pc retail is dead.

Indeed.

It's also true that COD is quite dying on PC as well, though

Jomjom

Banned
If math is correct PS4 is still 600k in the lead and assuming MS wins every month after this it'll take them probably almost until next fall to close the gap. But I highly doubt MS stays winning.

Considering they just price dropped permanently (pretty sure it's going to be permanent) I think they'll stay winning.

Why do people think Sony will drop the price? They're still way ahead worldwide and playstation is their second best business behind Insurance so I imagine they want to milk $400 for as long as possible.

Top Bottom