• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

HardRojo

Great to see Smash doing well.

Well deserved for MS after all the aggressive promotions during the Holidays. Competition in the US is going to be interesting now that they are back at $349. What cha gonna do Sony?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
XBO leading PS4 games in many software sales, that's surprising

First thing I noticed.

I know the One outsold it in those 2 months, but the PS4 install base is still bigger and the software was consistently higher selling. Maybe the One will have a giant attach rate like the 360 had?

Either way, January will be interesting now that the price cut is unofficially permanent.

The air hung heavy over the room. The lonely cry of a bald eagle in the distance penetrated the deep silence. The NPDs were out and they were bad. Nothing more needed to be said, as everyone in the room was contemplating the bleak future ahead. The system architect had had enough. In a sudden lurch, he stormed out of the room and through the corridors. The walls that were towering above him were as the walls of his own personal prison. The hurried pace of his long, elegant steps drew the attention of everyone he passed, but they knew better than to disturb him. Eventually he reached the hidden away recluse that he shared sometimes with Shu. Their closeness was a well-known secret, but everyone kept quiet about it, out of respect. The discarded wrappers of a hurried McDonald's dinner lay strewn across the room. In his rage, Mark tore them into pieces. Just as he was rummaging his pockets for his lighter, Shu came into the room.

"Hey, Mark, calm down. This is not the end of the world", said Shu.

"That's easy for you to say", Mark snapped back. "It is not your creation that failed, that is the laughing stock of all of gaming. But it is not only I who have failed. Not only Sony. But our glorious country lost Today. We are not what we were. We have stagnated. Become a country of old men and dashed ambitions. Today, Japan was beaten by the agile America. Her free market made a country of winners, ambition and superior technology. Today not only signals the end of Sonym but the end of the hopes and dreams of our entire nation."

Shu tried to placate him with a gentle kiss on the neck.

"Come on, it's not over ye-"

"Shut up! You are just in denial. Who cares about pre-season. We lost the big one! We could possibly have afforded to lose this month, but we lost China, our final hope, this month as well. We allowed the gaijins to get China all to themselves. If even 1% of their population buys that dirty product, that's 13 million units sold." Now his voice was rising in a towering crescendo. "There is no way we could recover from that. It is over. All our hard work. All the lies we told about our hardware before launch. All the money we paid to Bish to spread the gospel. It was all for nothing. Well, I have had enough. It ends Today!" he shouted

But the following silence rang almost as loud.

"W-what do you mean?"

Silently, Mark walked over to the rack near the wall, where he kept his katana collection. He picked up a wakisashi.

"Please, Mark, reconsider" Shu begged him. I will draw up a nice warm bath for us. You don't have to do this.

"But I do. I have failed us all. I have failed our country. I have failed the Emperor. I have brought eternal shame upon my ancestors. My honour is gone. I have no option but to end it all. Here and now, according to the traditions of our ancestors."

"Mark, don't be silly. No one does that these days. You were not even born here.

"Shu, I love you", Mark said, and plunged the blade into his gut.

He could feel pain spreading from his stomach. And up his spine and down his legs and up his neck. But there was something else there as well. Welling up inside him growing stronger every moment. And he started imagining things. He could smell the invigorating scent of hamburgers sizzling in a skillet. The feeling of a gun in his hand. And the sensation growing inside him was growing every stronger. In his minds eye he could see broad stripes and bright stars o'er the ramparts so gallantly streaming. He was vaguely aware of Shu shouting. No? That was not Shu. It was someone far more studly. Phil's chiseled pecs were gently brushing against his shoulder as sweet words were whispered in his ears, about content and experiences, and the infinite power of the cloud. And the sensation inside him was now a roaring storm, welling up ever more vigorous in his loins, drowning out the world with its all-encompassing whiteness.

In a basement at the other end of the world, Hindle woke up in his bed, feeling flustered.

I'm staggered that Smash Bros. did as well this year as it did. For a version on the anemic 3DS and dying Wii U to make the annual Top Ten is one hell of a result.

wii u doesn't have a problem with 1st-party software.

the nintendo brand remains strong.

the problem is the wii u ecosystem.

They have a very nice upcoming Feb and March with exclusives and the Show is upcoming. What should they do if putting out compelling games doesn't work bundle stuff and sell at a loss for one market when they are in the lead overall?

Yup. A console that is rocketing towards 20 million systems sold and doesn't need price drops (and bleeding money as a result) to sell well is not going anywhere soon, especially since their Winter/Spring line-up looks pretty interesting (at least for me with Bloodborne on the way).

For Sony's it's not about 'winning' months in the US, it's about making money. Lord knows they bled enough of that with the PS3.

RBK

Banned
Xbox One in the kitchen whippin up the babies

7ceb4790925450013dd7df6d3531f786.499x428x11.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
rofl at everyone assuming 100k refers to XB1/PS4 despite the context clearly indicating it's about the Wii U

He says it in a followup with saying its around 200k... which is still not as big of a difference as I would have figured given the difference in price.

I think the galactic cheese is telling us that the PS4/XB1 gap for December is around 200K.

While the Wii U is either up 100K or on alternative reading of the candy bar 30%ish than December 2012.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I think the galactic cheese is telling us that the PS4/XB1 gap for December is around 200K.

While the Wii U is either up 100K or on alternative reading of the candy bar 30%ish.

I love cheese, but needs a bit of bread too, especially the end part.

P.S. Only few people will get this lol

pastrami

Guys, it's the Wii U that's 100K over its previous best month (490K), not the PS4/XB1 difference.

Space cheese also responded to someone repeating the 100k difference with "2x." So I'm assuming it's a 200k difference between XBox One and PS4.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But console gaming is dead.

Yeah, I feel we're going further and further toward the point where dedicated devices are no longer of interest to more casual audiences, but seem to be resonating very well with their core audiences.

The Wii U put up its best numbers on what is arguably its most core oriented game to boot toward this end.

DSN2K

seems MS aggressive pricing worked out, mind these are short term fixes. Be interesting to see if they can keep it up. Worldwide they still have alot of work to do.

So, if we are to believe the whispers of XBO > PS4 by 100k or so, plus winning the software front, I'd say MS did a great job.

Congrats to all though.

Happy the Wii U is gaining momentum.

Gator86

This reliance on the 100k figure reminds me of the circle jerk with cboats numbers in the November thread.

Either way, don't call it a comeback. By the end of this generation, Microsoft will be king in the US again. Phil Spencer really has turned around the division since inheriting the Don Mattrick cluster.

Yeah, it's probably premature to take any numbers seriously.

That said, It's weird to see so many people buying into this Phil Spencer effect stuff. His novelty T-shirts aren't making Xbones leave store shelves, MS' ridiculous ability to eat losses is. You're going to move units when you can run promos undercutting your competition by huge chunks of cash during the holidays.

Mrbob

MS made a very smart move if the trend with the multiplat sales continues in America for the rest of the year alongside the cheaper price of the console.

8 out of 9 multiplats in the top 10 selling better on Xbox One than the PS4 when the latter has the higher userbase. Very surprising.

It's not like the PS4 has an overwhelming install advantage. Though I think XB1 multi plats doing better in December combined with the good sales of 360 software show how the strong the Xbox brand is in the USA.

Can people really not read? They see a picture of a candy bar and assume it's XB1-PS4 diff. He was referring to the Wii U...

Thats not where it comes from. We estimated combined sales at 2.33 mil, XB1 is estimated at 1.2 mil, hence PS4 1.1 mil, 100k.

Its 200k difference according to Queso

Top Bottom