• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wonder when Sony / Microsoft will quit manufacturing PS3's / Xbox 360s?

PS3 just sold 25K in the busiest month of the year. It has to be discontinued this year, no?

It should be $99-150, and then it would probably move more. And I would also buy one to replace the OG Phat.

It's not that hard when you realize Europe is just one country. By that logic, MS is serving far more than Sony could ever hope to reach.

I understood this reference.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
It should be $99-150, and then it would probably move more. And I would also buy one to replace the OG Phat.

Given the design of the PS3, I don't think they can price it at $99-150 without taking a loss.

Seems more likely that it will just cease to be manufactured. Unfortunately PS3 wasn't really designed to ever be priced reasonably.

Given the design of the PS3, I don't think they can price it at $99-150 without taking a loss.

Seems more likely that it will just cease to be manufactured. Unfortunately PS3 wasn't really designed to ever be priced reasonably.
The times when it was the cheapest bluray-player around won't come back.
Don't know how it sells in rest of the world or developing countries. It's not as fun as late PS2 was for them, but it should not cannibalise PS4, sell some software, make a little profit and do no harm.

Quite shocking to see the 3DS on top. There's definitely an audience for NX handheld.

It's going to be a big success if we can play all Nintendo games on it, no more distinction between console and handheld. That means more games and less droughts. Everybody wins.

December 2011: 1,650,000
December 2012: 1,250,000
December 2013: 1,100,000
December 2014: 810,000
December 2015: Less than 538,000

More like their audience is evaporating. NX handheld is in trouble, possibly DOA what with the handheld audience migration to mobiles/tablets. Handhelds are what have kept Nintendo afloat for the past four years. If that market is gone by the time NX arrives then their hardware days are not long. Their NX console needs to be a home run but when you look at their hardware trends the picture for them is a gloomy one at best.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They'll be fine in the beginning. There are definitely enough core fans to buy it if it is priced at the right price. That's why I'm so surprised people want to push it at above $150 in some of the prediction thread things.

PS4 was just too cheap to make the PS3 look like an interesting option. I can only asume, that Sony can't lower the price anymore because of its former sophisticated hardware. That said, it seems to be only a matter of time unless Sony discontinues PS3. A permanent price drop to $299 would kill PS3 anyhow.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

PS4 was just too cheap to make the PS3 look like an interesting option. I can only asume, that Sony can't lower the price anymore because of its former sophisticated hardware. That said, it seems to be only a matter of time unless Sony discontinues PS3. A permanent price drop to $299 would kill PS3 anyhow.

Sadly, I believe you are correct. (Just want a cheap new PS3, lol.)

I will wait until a slash on prices, or a mint used one is always an option I suppose. Just refuse to pull the $250 trigger.

More like their audience is evaporating. NX handheld is in trouble, possibly DOA what with the handheld audience migration to mobiles/tablets. Handhelds are what have kept Nintendo afloat for the past four years. If that market is gone by the time NX arrives then their hardware days are not long. Their NX console needs to be a home run but when you look at their hardware trends the picture for them is a gloomy one at best.
It seems at least Nintendo will be consolidating their user base. i think they will do better this next round since they seem to be adressing some of their weakness:

1) They will have a more even and sustained line up. The software will arrive in a more timely fashion.

2) Improvemens for NIntendo as a game service provider. This company is sitting on one of the finest games catalogues in existense. If they manage to offer access to it in a compelling way to the consumer this will become a strong arm of their overall income.

If they got at least this 2 right that would make a world of difference.

It seems at least Nintendo will be consolidating their user base. i think they will do better this next round since they seem to be adressing some of their weakness:

1) They will have a more even and sustained line up. The software will arrive in a more timely fashion.

2) Improvemens for NIntendo as a game service provider. This company is sitting on one of the finest games catalogues in existense. If they manage to offer access to it in a compelling way to the consumer this will become a strong arm of their overall income.

I don't know if they are capable of doing so.
Convincing 3rd party again will be the make or break. And thus far it was break.

Online has nevet been their stregth and it's so important now.

Biggest chance would be the Wii-gimmick approach plus some classy Nintendo games from the start.

Shenmue

Banned
That figure was for the standalone game + bundles, not just the Gears bundles. Battlefront bundle > Gears bundle, from the sounds of it.

Edit: Yep, there it is.

Nah John Harker's quote was something like "Damn that Gears of War bundle is a monster, no one came close." So he wasn't referring to software plus bundles.

Shenmue

Banned
Gears bigger Halo as franchise confirmed then?
I still say Gears will sell better than Halo this gen.

Well Halo only had a ridiculously expensive bundle that was unattractive to the consumers so I don't think we can just say that outright. Gears obviously benefitted a lot from being packaged with the only cheap bundle outside of some dumb lego bundle?

Well Halo only had a ridiculously expensive bundle that was unattractive to the consumers so I don't think we can just say that outright. Gears obviously benefitted a lot from being packaged with the only cheap bundle outside of some dumb lego bundle?
That's why I put a question mark. I just don't know but I can imagine that there is lesd fatigue for Gears and it has "aged better ".

Raist

Banned
I wonder when Sony / Microsoft will quit manufacturing PS3's / Xbox 360s?

PS3 just sold 25K in the busiest month of the year. It has to be discontinued this year, no?

I expect Sony to kill the PS3 next year.
No idea about MS. The 360 still sells decently considering it's over 10yo now.

I think they are on the right track currently. They cooled down on their old IP restriction philosophy, now they have plans to make money from mobile, have a theme park in the work and seems like they are ready to license their IPs for TV and other ventures. I expect licenses to make a significant portion of the company's income few years from now.

I think Nintendo relies far too much on its catalogue of prooven IPs. I am a fan of Mario Kart since SNES and play Zelda since NES, and I have to say, those IPs don't attract me like they used to. The same applies for titles like Mario Tennis or the Mario Jump & Runs. I am not saying that those games don't attract the masses out there anymore, but maybe Nintendo should have a look at innovation strategy targets from companies like 3M or DELO: At least 50% of software sales from 1st parties should come from IPs which were introduced together with their current console. By that you're forced to come up with new ideas instead getting overconvident. At least Splatoon was a good sign that Nintendo can still come up with cool new games which are succesful both critical acclaim- as well as sales-wise.

MS has the very same problem btw. Right now they have just two system selling IPs. One of them (Halo 5) already didn't match sales expectations and the other one (Gears) will most likely suffer the same fate or worse. Forza 3 is DOA anyhow, no matter how good it turns out to be in the end.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think "IP" is too coarse a descriptor to use when talking about Nintendo.

Nintendo and IP is different from most publishers and IP. Nintendo has several different game mechanics series and they drop in their recognizable cast of characters in those.

Whereas other publishers usually associate one type of game with one IP.

There are many different playing Mario games but a Call of Duty is up to now always a FPS.

Shenmue

Banned
I think Nintendo relies far too much on its catalogue of prooven IPs. I am a fan of Mario Kart since SNES and play Zelda since NES, and I have to say, those IPs don't attract me like they used to. The same applies for titles like Mario Tennis or the Mario Jump & Runs. I am not saying that those games don't attract the masses out there anymore, but maybe Nintendo should have a look at innovation strategy targets from companies like 3M or DELO: At least 50% of software sales from 1st parties should come from IPs which were introduced together with their current console. By that you're forced to come up with new ideas instead getting overconvident. At least Splatoon was a good sign that Nintendo can still come up with cool new games which are succesful both critical acclaim- as well as sales-wise.

MS has the very same problem btw. Right now they have just two system selling IPs. One of them (Halo 5) already didn't match sales expectations and the other one (Gears) will most likely suffer the same fate or worse. Forza 3 is DOA anyhow, no matter how good it turns out to be in the end.

I think Nintendo realizes this which is why you've got Splatoon, Mario maker, xcx, and devil's third.

I think Nintendo realizes this which is why you've got Splatoon, Mario maker, xcx, and devil's third.

You're kinda proving his point by having Mario Maker in there. And don't forget that NoA tried to weasel their way out of publishing Devil's Third at one point.

It was really smart of both Sony and MS to package Gears / Uncharted in their cheapest priced hardware. Get as many hands on and raise awareness of the brand before their big sequels Uncharted / Gears 4 hit.

J-Skee

Will the OP be updated with the numbers that were provided throughout the thread? It would be better than going through all the pages (although I highly appreciate everyone who was able to do so).

Yeah I could see that. We'll have to see when gears 4 releases.

Right now, I can't see that. Gears 4 has yet failed to attract any attention or momentum. Just look at the most recent "most anticipated games of 2016" votes. If your bearer of hope finishes as an "also-ran", even compared to other MS exclusives, then something is wrong.

Yes, they have still time to fix it and come up with a total cool game at E3 2016, but frankly, what are the odds? Or: When was the last time someone presented an underwhelming game demo and the actual game turned out to be great? Besides from Destiny, that is.

blakep267

Right now, I can't see that. Gears 4 has yet failed to attract any attention or momentum. Just look at the most recent "most anticipated games of 2016" votes. If your bearer of hope finishes as an "also-ran", even compared to other MS exclusives, then something is wrong.

Yes, they have still time to fix it and come up with a total cool game at E3 2016, but frankly, what are the odds? Or: When was the last time someone presented an underwhelming game demo and the actual game turned out to be great? Besides from Destiny, that is.

I wouldn't look to here for any indication of the actual worlds most anticipated games

Seems odd guys think 9o to 1oo million ps4s are on lock when theres nothing other than price alone that can extend the ps4s life and boost sales high enough for that to happen.

2o million for the next 3 years wouldnt put it at 9o. And that 2o million for the next 3 years, or more, is unlikely because outside price, the ps4 does not have what the Xbox 36o or the ps2 had. We can pretend it will just keep going at the same rate, but that doesnt really add up.

Also the Xbox One has a chance U.S. wise to win even in the first 6 months of the year.

The Xbox One is going into 2o16 in a better position than it was going into 2o15. the main reason why some are doubting is the Holiday sales.

Well lets be realistic, with gift cards and exclusive deals, MS had like what 5 bundles, 3 were big games, deals and the release of Halo, aggressive AC Unity, COD, reshipments of SO white bundle, there was another bundle as well, the 3rd party hype was bigger, and it was the holiday were a lot were finally moving to the new consoles. Excevt Wii U.

This year Gears took AC place, and Halo 5 took Halo MCC, that was literally it. The Multiplats this years were also shaky in relation to last but still provided good sales, deals on both sides for the two months were lower than last year as well.

I mean outside those two games, the Xbox one barely had a 3rd of what gave it the win last year, not even half, and it still was relatively close with record breaking sales that were higher.

This year the Xbox One has a subjective review and preview wise, higher assortment of anticipated games starting in the first half of the year, going into the holidays. Along with another possible price drop, an arguably, depending on the final release dates, a better exclusive and Tp line up, then this holiday as well.

The line up this year outside Halo and Gears, which just took the place of Halo MCC and ACU partially was garbage on both sides, the Tp was shaky, and a lot of it went to Fall out, COD, and SW and not much else. SW being the one to invest in, and Sony getting that deal likely made up partially for their lack luster line up of exclusives. A very good deal.

Anyway the Wii Us Dead. It seems they arent really going to push it into the NX launch, which could cause issues with the NX launch, which according to a thread, is rumored to launch this year.

Gears 3 didnt have much hype either until a few months before it came out and then it exploded all over everyone. Well i had an umbrella at the time.

So if Gears sells better than Halo, can we expect to see Microsoft rebranding Spartan as COG and Cortana as JACK?

No but something tells me of halo wars 2 doesnt hit as well they might give the series a long sabatical, and come back in 5 or 6 years with something special

blakep267

No but something tells me of halo wars 2 doesnt hit as well they might give the series a long sabatical, and come back in 5 or 6 years with something special
Halo wars isn't supposed to hit normal halo numbers like that. It'll do well for an RTs since its on console and PC. Also even if halo 5 sells 5 million copies ltd that's still 5 more than having nothing at all so I doubt it's going to take a break

hawk2025

Halo wars isn't supposed to hit normal halo numbers like that. It'll do well for an RTs since its on console and PC. Also even if halo 5 sells 5 million copies ltd that's still 5 more than having nothing at all so I doubt it's going to take a break

That's not how opportunity costs work.

But Japan doe.

Seriously tho; I think NX handheld will be fine. Their mobile push is going to help make the handheld relevant to mobile users, and it could even help give the console some much-needed attention.

If anything it's the console that is the big question mark in terms of performance. If it does not do well and performs even less than the Wii U, I can easily see Nintendo folding out of the console market by, say, 2022 or so. Not because they'd risk draining their money dry, but b/c there'd simply be no point anymore. Why continue to invest in console hardware if it's not recouping on R&D and not selling?

I'm also concerned about the handheld and console sharing too similar a library, b/c at some point that could make getting both of them redundant. To make that work they two would need to provide very unique feature sets for their games but if they're too unique from one another that would seem to negate some of the saved dev workload form the shared architecture/assets/dev pipeline approach they are looking to build on to rid of software drought.

A very precarious situation, hopefully Nintendo figures out what'll work best.

Seems odd guys think 9o to 1oo million ps4s are on lock when theres nothing other than price alone that can extend the ps4s life and boost sales high enough for that to happen.

2o million for the next 3 years wouldnt put it at 9o. And that 2o million for the next 3 years, or more, is unlikely because outside price, the ps4 does not have what the Xbox 36o or the ps2 had. We can pretend it will just keep going at the same rate, but that doesnt really add up.

Also the Xbox One has a chance U.S. wise to win even in the first 6 months of the year.

The Xbox One is going into 2o16 in a better position than it was going into 2o15. the main reason why some are doubting is the Holiday sales.

Well lets be realistic, with gift cards and exclusive deals, MS had like what 5 bundles, 3 were big games, deals and the release of Halo, aggressive AC Unity, COD, reshipments of SO white bundle, there was another bundle as well, the 3rd party hype was bigger, and it was the holiday were a lot were finally moving to the new consoles. Excevt Wii U.

This year Gears took AC place, and Halo 5 took Halo MCC, that was literally it. The Multiplats this years were also shaky in relation to last but still provided good sales, deals on both sides for the two months were lower than last year as well.

I mean outside those two games, the Xbox one barely had a 3rd of what gave it the win last year, not even half, and it still was relatively close with record breaking sales that were higher.

This year the Xbox One has a subjective review and preview wise, higher assortment of anticipated games starting in the first half of the year, going into the holidays. Along with another possible price drop, an arguably, depending on the final release dates, a better exclusive and Tp line up, then this holiday as well.

The line up this year outside Halo and Gears, which just took the place of Halo MCC and ACU partially was garbage on both sides, the Tp was shaky, and a lot of it went to Fall out, COD, and SW and not much else. SW being the one to invest in, and Sony getting that deal likely made up partially for their lack luster line up of exclusives. A very good deal.

Anyway the Wii Us Dead. It seems they arent really going to push it into the NX launch, which could cause issues with the NX launch, which according to a thread, is rumored to launch this year.

The XBO has a chance to win in U.S between January and June this year, when PS4 has SFV, Uncharted IV, the new Ratchet remake, PSVR, most of the big 3rd party marketing deals, room for bundle price cuts, all of the same 3rd party AAA games as XBO and a good deal of indies that are console-exclusive to PS4? Bro, you are speaking pure insanity but I'm not surprised xD.

I don't see XBO ever retaking the lead or significantly closing the US/NA gap; it's only going to widen. Not saying it's going to perform poorly, but there is nothing it has going for the first half of this year PS4 doesn't have going for it and more, that's just the reality of things. If XBO was going to truly challenge PS4 in NA and have a shot at taking the lead, it was last Nov and Dec.

And it failed to do so.

Twice.

That moment is long gone, but MS can still try to settle for a decent-to-solid 2nd even in its traditional strongholds.

We'll just have to see what momentum impact NX has on things tho, b/c it will inevitably have some impact on both systems, but stands to sour XBO's party much more severely than PS4's, easily.

Top Bottom