• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

gadwn

So xbox is still putting up a fight in the USA which makes it a viable platform and won't be ignored by publishers. All im syaing is that the PS4 is not running away with it this gen when it comes to SOFTWARE by the looks of it. I could be wrong. thats what matters to publishers I guess.

Well, publishers care most about ww sales though. And that picture is very different from the one we are seeing in NPD threads...

Conduit

Banned
Didn't Harker say that the nothing came close to the Gears bundle? Gears was the vast majority of the Xbox One's sold in that case if it sold better than the SW bundle.

Including bundles, did Gears outsell Halo? If not, how close?

According to Mulcair's recent posts, PS4 SW bundle > GeOW bundle.

Mulcair, SW : Battlefront PS4/XB1 sales split in December?

And COD BO III PS4/XB1 sales split in December?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So if we didn't have George then we would believe that GeoW bundle > Everything else by far and nothing came close while reality looks different. That's messed up.

I never said that.

The question was whether Gears of War: Ultimate Edition were "the best by far" and I clarified that the initial statement is in the context of Xbox One hardware SKUs...where indeed the Gears of War: Ultimate Edition led other Xbox One hardware SKUs by a very wide margin.

But the Gears of War: Ultimate Edition bundles did sell more copies than the Star Wars Battlefront PS4 bundle.

It's actually 5 AM where I live and I don't have access to the data at the moment, that's why I haven't been responding to any other requests for data because I don't have everything memorized. Instead I'm about to go to bed!

jaina

I never said that.

The question was whether Gears of War: Ultimate Edition were "the best by far" and I clarified that the initial statement is in the context of Xbox One hardware SKUs...where indeed the Gears of War: Ultimate Edition led other Xbox One hardware SKUs by a very wide margin.

But the Gears of War: Ultimate Edition bundles did sell more copies than the Star Wars Battlefront PS4 bundle.

It's actually 5 AM where I live and I don't have access to the data at the moment, that's why I haven't been responding to any other requests for data because I don't have everything memorized. Instead I'm about to go to bed!
Sleep tight and don't dream of spreadsheets!

Ask him.

But you said this :

The original quote was "No bundle can come close to touching it {Gears of War: Ultimate Edition}."

I clarified with two words, saying "No 'Xbox One' bundle can come close to touching it {Gears of War: Ultimate Edition}."

I never said anything directly about the PlayStation 4 Star Wars Battlefront bundle outselling the Gears of War: Ultimate Edition bundle.

Conduit

Banned
The original quote was "No bundle can come close to touching it {Gears of War: Ultimate Edition}."

I clarified with two words, saying "No 'Xbox One' bundle can come close to touching it {Gears of War: Ultimate Edition}."

I never said anything directly about the PlayStation 4 Star Wars Battlefront bundle outselling the Gears of War: Ultimate Edition bundle.

OK! Sorry then!

What's there to ask.

According to George the best selling bundle was the GeoW bundle. The magnitude by which it outsold any other bundle is the only thing that is disputed.

After he explained it to me, he reffered to Xbox One bundle family, not the GeOW bundle > PS4 SW bundle. I misrepresented him wrongly

leeh

I never said that.

Wow, really? That's a surprise.

viHuGi

Banned
If Ps4 was 199$ like ps2 it would be destroying it but it isn't.

Sony will one day drop the price to that point but not yet.

It will be 299$ this year and 249$ on Black Friday.

Tratorn

Wow, really? That's a surprise.

Not at all imo. Gears was the only bundle for 299$, while on the PS4 side there were SW + Uncharted. And the CoD Bundle had the biggest game of the year.

Pretty sure that the majority of XB1 sales was the Gears bundle. They did this to push the Gears IP again.

Not at all imo. Gears was the only bundle for 299$, while on the PS4 side there were SW + Uncharted. And the CoD Bundle had the biggest game of the year.

Pretty sure that the majority of XB1 sales was the Gears bundle. They did this to push the Gears IP again.

If anything this shows how much a good bundle would have help TR .
SW sold near a 1 million in bundles alone in the US .

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I doubt MS would have done a $299 TR bundle though. Gears is their own IP and a remaster, so way cheaper to bundle, allowing them to price at $299. Also helps to raise awareness of Gears in preparation for Gears 4

ethomaz

Banned
Why should MS choose a 3rd party bundle over a 1st party bundle for $299??? the Gears was cheaper for them making more profit (or losing less).

I doubt MS would have done a $299 TR bundle though. Gears is their own IP and a remaster, so way cheaper to bundle, allowing them to price at $299. Also helps to raise awareness of Gears in preparation for Gears 4

It did not have to be 299 just better than the one they had .
Which was only in select stores and 400 if i remember right .
They also pay to make it exclusive and there still a lot of time left to push for gears .

Why should MS choose a 3rd party bundle over a 1st party bundle for $299??? the Gears was cheaper for them making more profit (or losing less).

Most big bundles are 3rd party games to begin with just look at last year AC one and that was mulitplatform .
Also here is another way to look at it .
Why spend all that money making it exclusive if your not going to use it to drive sales.

TOP 20 BIGGER NPD OF THIS GENERATION

1) 1,650,000 (3DS; December 2011)
2) 1,582,000 (PS4; December 2015)
3) 1,539,000 (PS4; November 2015)
4) 1,376,000 (XB1; December 2015)
5) 1,297,000 (XB1; December 2014)
6) 1,296,000 (XB1; November 2015)
7) 1,250,000 (3DS; December 2012)
8) 1,231,000 (XB1; November 2014)
9) 1,138,000 (PS4; November 2013)
10) 1,100,000 (3DS; December 2013)
11) 1,065,000 (PS4; December 2014)
12) 909,000 (XB1; November 2013)
13) 908,000 (XB1; December 2013)
14) 863,000 (PS4; December 2013)
15) 810,000 (3DS; December 2014)
16) 795,000 (3DS; November 2011)
17) 770,000 (3DS; November 2013)
18) 575,000 (WIU; December 2014)
19) 540,000 (3DS; November 2012)
20) 538,000 (PS4; September 2014)

Quite shocking to see the 3DS on top. There's definitely an audience for NX handheld.

It's going to be a big success if we can play all Nintendo games on it, no more distinction between console and handheld. That means more games and less droughts. Everybody wins.

allan-bh

Tomb Raider bundle for $299 would be a success, Fallout 4 even more, but clearly Microsoft is more concerned about profits than in 2014, that's why the more expensive 1TB console was used.

Carl

I love to see George in here. If you're reading this, thank you sir! NPD threads are so much more interesting now that you're among us :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It did not have to be 299 just better than the one they had .
Which was only in select stores and 400 if i remember right .
They also pay to make it exclusive and there still a lot of time left to push for gears .

Most big bundles are 3rd party games to begin with just look at last year AC one and that was mulitplatform .
Also here is another way to look at it .
Why spend all that money making it exclusive if your not going to use it to drive sales.

If you don't make it $299 then it won't drive sales like the gears one did. You have your $349/399 bundles for those already buying XB1 and giving them the choice of software. The $299 one is the one to drive sales for those on the fence. You throw the cheapest bit of software in to save costs.

Quite shocking to see the 3DS on top. There's definitely an audience for NX handheld.

It's going to be a big success if we can play all Nintendo games on it, no more distinction between console and handheld. That means more games and less droughts. Everybody wins.
Yes let us ignore the huge downward spiral trend that the 3DS has had in the past couple of years, and call everything is dandy.

viHuGi

Banned
Can someone tell me in how many countries does ps4 sell and Xbox One?

I heard there are some countries that Xbox hasn't arrived yet.

ethomaz

Banned
Can someone tell me in how many countries does ps4 sell and Xbox One?

I heard there are some countries that Xbox hasn't arrived yet.
Some? PS4 has almost three trimes supported countries.

PS4 123
Xbone 42

* These numbers are for end of 2014
** I didn't remember any other launch announce in 2015
*** I don't believe MS will launch Xbone in more countries

Any info on Trails of Cold Steel?

As a note, the numbers in December for ToCS might seem depressingly low, because it launched all of three days before Christmas and only had nine days to sell in the month. The combined December + January result would be more illuminating concerning its performance, doubly so because this month is when the hype really started to roll in on the media sites and word of mouth began to spread on places like GAF.

Abdiel

Probably also depressingly low because it's Trails of Cold Steel.

Game is amazing. I played through twice for the platinum, and I am now anxiously awaiting Cold Steel II later this year.

I hope it does well for them across the two platforms, I know it has to be a rough spot only being on PS3 and Vita.

Rymuth

Game is amazing. I played through twice for the platinum, and I am now anxiously awaiting Cold Steel II later this year.

I hope it does well for them across the two platforms, I know it has to be a rough spot only being on PS3 and Vita.
Do you have it on Vita or PS3, Abdiel?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Lots of great games do not go on to be the blockbusters they deserve to be, such as The Order: 1886.

panda-zebra

Banned
Baby-Laughing-Hard-and-Falls-Over.gif

As a note, the numbers in December for ToCS might seem depressingly low, because it launched all of three days before Christmas and only had nine days to sell in the month. The combined December + January result would be more illuminating concerning its performance, doubly so because this month is when the hype really started to roll in on the media sites and word of mouth began to spread on places like GAF.

Still waiting for more reviews. Only one "big site" review finally came in after so long and it was GameInformer.

Listening to how Greg Miller/Colin Moriarty didn't get any codes from XSEED on Cold Steel made me a sad owl.

Abdiel

Do you have it on Vita or PS3, Abdiel?

I played it on my Vita. Matched up well with my experiences in line with Persona 4 Golden. I'd love to see the game get those kinds of numbers. Heh. It really does deserve the recognition, as the storytelling, world building, etc. are all incredible.

bombshell

A late thanks to NDP_Mulcair for dropping so much data in here.

So with him saying that the Star Wars Battlefront PS4 bundle attributed >580k of the total 2.58million Star Wars Battlefront December sales, it's pretty much impossible for the PS4 SKU not to come out comfortably on top when including the bundle.

So all of us who pointed to the bundle sales early on in the thread when the myriad of people posted about the Xbox One > PS4 sales order in the OP data were of course right.

The same is likely to be the case if NDP_Mulcair could shed some light on the Black Ops 3 split.

viHuGi

Banned
Some? PS4 has almost three trimes supported countries.

PS4 123
Xbone 42

* These numbers are for end of 2014
** I didn't remember any other launch announce in 2015
*** I don't believe MS will launch Xbone in more countries

How is this possible?

LOL @ Microsoft

What's funny/depressing is that MS spent a good chunk of brain on coming up with that ridiculous PR statement when instead they could have just said "including the GOW bundle, the months best selling hardware bundle" which would have gotten much better play. You might be trying to spin too hard these days, MS friends.

One thing about the new3DS. I would really like to know the manufacturing costs as they are right now. It should be crazy cheap to make (especially without power cable of course), and the ugly 2D twin should be even cheaper. If they sell about 500k each month worldwide (reasonable estimate?), it should make them good profit even with low game sales.

Cornbread78

I played it on my Vita. Matched up well with my experiences in line with Persona 4 Golden. I'd love to see the game get those kinds of numbers. Heh. It really does deserve the recognition, as the storytelling, world building, etc. are all incredible.

I think you just sold me on the game right there.

I guess he can't five specific Ltd numbers, which is unfortunate. I wonder if Cream can come through with those jrpg numbers.

You guy's want to see some crazy shit?

US+UK+Germany+Japan+Steam puts Fallout 4 sales at 8.5 million sell through in 2 months.

Keep in mind this figure does not include Console digital and other markets.

God damn Bethesda

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I wonder when Sony / Microsoft will quit manufacturing PS3's / Xbox 360s?

PS3 just sold 25K in the busiest month of the year. It has to be discontinued this year, no?

Top Bottom