• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

ethomaz

Banned
Sure, no one's saying anyone has to like it.

But at the least, it shows consistency with the strategy. If they are really all in on cross buy and play anywhere, and are going forward with measuring success based on Win10 usage across whatever device, then they are reporting and measuring the data that aligns with that strategy.
To be fair that is the exactly work I won't say about MS right now "consistency".

I see the strategy good but not consistent... from my outside view they looks like trying a lot of things and changing to try to appeal to everybody... they are lost trying different strategies to see if one will works.

You can see in the interviews... they are good interviews but each one shows a different slightly strategy then the previous one and that is what GAF likes to crucifix MS. I do think they have a goal but they don't have a plan to reach this goal and that causes inconsistencies.

But these are my 2 cents from a probably biased view.

PS. That doesn't mean the strategy won't work at long term... it is just they made it harder than it needed to be.

Unknown?

XO might win in August because of the slim preorders but I don't see it helping a lot over all. A bunch of people who would have got one in June or July are just deferred to August.

XO might win in August because of the slim preorders but I don't see it helping a lot over all. A bunch of people who would have got one in June or July are just deferred to August.

You will also get people who want to upgrade to a newer model. Don't see it helping much past September though.

I bought GTA V on Steam.

We cut into a live feed from NPD:

colbert-calculator.gif

I wonder if MS is having trouble clearing up stock because there are some crazy deals going around right now

I don't think they have trouble cleaning up stock. They are just cleaning up stock as you would do it, by giving discounts (when was the last month without heavy discounts anyway). If MS gives them or retailers is debatable.

Unknown?

You will also get people who want to upgrade to a newer model. Don't see it helping much past September though.

Yeah so not much, it will have more overall sells than if it didn't launch. The Slim is already back below PS4 on Amazon. I don't think it'll have a huge impact come August as they aren't launching it with any must have games.

Welfare

Okay, so they introduced a price drop that goes live in early June and then end it in early July? What the hell is the logic behind this??

Well, they started June with a $50 price cut plus an additional $30 to the 1TB bundles, and then the day after the deal supposedly ended, they dropped the price to the now current one. I'm thinking that on July 11, they'll cut the price even further to $249 and hopefully they'll have cleared out existing stock for the S once that launches.

What I find strange though is that Gamestop says this deal started today, when it started last Tuesday.

Javin98

Banned
Well, they started June with a $50 price cut plus an additional $30 to the 1TB bundles, and then the day after the deal supposedly ended, they dropped the price to the now current one. I'm thinking that on July 11, they'll cut the price even further to $249 and hopefully they'll have cleared out existing stock for the S once that launches.

What I find strange though is that Gamestop says this deal started today, when it started last Tuesday.
Wow, so many price cuts and changes that my head hurts reading this, LOL. Good thing I don't plan on buying an XB1. These prices would confuse me so much. :p

wapplew

Okay, so they introduced a price drop that goes live in early June and then end it in early July? And this is followed by an earlier temporary price drop. What the hell is the logic behind this??

Cleared enough stock for One S shelf space.

Wow, so many price cuts and changes that my head hurts reading this, LOL. Good thing I don't plan on buying an XB1. These prices would confuse me so much. :p
Every new price cut creates news. That's why they don't lower it constantly but make discount after discount.
For the consumer it's not confusing as they don't follow the news as we do.
They open their sunday paper, go to their mall or so, see: "Xbox price cut" and that's it.
Basically MS only adopts what is done everywhere else. There's always something on sale in every store. Only thing that's different: stores change the products that are discounted, for MS, it's always One and the same.
Good that there will be a second One soon, so they can alternate.

Javin98

Banned
Every new price cut creates news. That's why they don't lower it constantly but make discount after discount.
For the consumer it's not confusing as they don't follow the news as we do.
They open their sunday paper, go to their mall or so, see: "Xbox price cut" and that's it.
Basically MS only adopts what is done everywhere else. There's always something on sale in every store. Only thing that's different: stores change the products that are discounted, for MS, it's always One and the same.
Good that there will be a second One soon, so they can alternate.
True, but on the other hand, Sony only drops the price of the PS4 when it is needed and to me, it feels much less confusing. Of course the PS4 is the leading console, so it's a different case entirely. :p

Xbox One price drop ends on July 10.

It'll be even cheaper after that...

That said, there's your reason why you can only get the 2TB $399 XBOX One S SKU in August. The cheaper ones with 500 GB and 1TB HDD won't be sold before MS gets rid of the stock of the old ones.

To be fair that is the exactly work I won't say about MS right now "consistency".

I see the strategy good but not consistent... from my outside view they looks like trying a lot of things and changing to try to appeal to everybody... they are lost trying different strategies to see if one will works.
Nah, it’s pretty apparent. Just look at how many interviews Phil had to just for the Scopio reveal, which is so far out and limited I don’t even know if we can call that a full reveal.

They seem like Sony was when they had dominance over the TV market, try a ton of different markets until something sticks. MS has way more money than Sony does or ever did, but it doesn’t mean they are going to strike gold anywhere but their current monopoly. Everything about their consumer products has been “me too” and average IMO. And I’ve tried their phones, tablets, clunky smart wear, etc...Even Surface, which is a quality product, is still just another laptop at the end of the day, almost a decade behind Macbooks which have been a premium laptop for so long now. Using surface as a tablet is ridiculous! lol...Someone really needs to challenge Windows in the workplace, I think that’s the only way MS will create truly innovative consumer products.

Sheesh. You guys.

What was said was that MS' new reporting (Users, etc) aligns with the newly stated strategy.

Not that the strategy is consistent with previous strategies, not that the strategy is good or bad.

Just that the way they're talking about numbers is consistent with the strategy they've recently laid out.

This consistency of reporting vs strategy isn't inherently a "good" or "bad" thing or leads to any conclusions about potential outcomes of the strategy.

Sterok

I wonder if the XB1 will ever hit $100. Maybe in a Black Friday deal in a couple years. I don't think the 360 ever hit that.

Out of curiosity, who is generally the bigger publisher, Capcom or Namco? Probably Namco given their fairly recent successes, but I'd like to check,

Amazon monthly chart, one week to go edition:

#19-Kirby: Planet Robobot
#22-Uncharted 4
#23-COD:BO3 PS4 bundle
#25-Doom PS4
#28-GTAV PS4
#30-Minecraft Wii U
#31-Overwatch PS4
#37-Star Ocean 5
#41-Doom XB1
#43-Xbox One 1TB bundle (w/ Gears, Rare Replay, Ori)
#51-Overwatch XB1
#53-Twilight Princess HD
#59-Odin Sphere Leifthrasir: Storybook Edition PS4
#61-Mirror's Edge Catalyst PS4
#63-Overwatch PC
#64-New Nintendo 3DS XL (Black)
#67-FIFA 16 PS4
#68-GTAV XB1
#74-Ratchet and Clank
#75-CoD:BO3 XB1
#81-Fallout 4 PS4
#88-Just Dance 2016 Wii (lol)
#89-TLOU Remastered
#91-Fallout 4 XB1
#93-NBA 2K16 XB1
#99-Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection

hmm one new release seems to be missing here

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

#22-Uncharted 4
#25-Doom PS4
#28-GTAV PS4
#30-Minecraft Wii U
#31-Overwatch PS4
#37-Star Ocean 5
#41-Doom XB1
#51-Overwatch XB1
#53-Twilight Princess HD
#63-Overwatch PC
#67-FIFA 16 PS4
#68-GTAV XB1
#74-Ratchet and Clank
#81-Fallout 4 PS4
#89-TLOU Remastered
#91-Fallout 4 XB1
#93-NBA 2K16 XB1

You mean the current best selling game on Amazon.com, amirite :p
Seriously, though, #FE is doing "stranger" than what I thought, right now.

Unknown?

#22-Uncharted 4
#25-Doom PS4
#28-GTAV PS4
#30-Minecraft Wii U
#31-Overwatch PS4
#37-Star Ocean 5
#41-Doom XB1
#51-Overwatch XB1
#53-Twilight Princess HD
#63-Overwatch PC
#67-FIFA 16 PS4
#68-GTAV XB1
#74-Ratchet and Clank
#81-Fallout 4 PS4
#89-TLOU Remastered
#91-Fallout 4 XB1
#93-NBA 2K16 XB1

In the hourly charts the slim is already below the PS4. I'm telling ya, it should have launched with software... At least PS3 slim had Uncharted 2. This has nothing.

In the hourly charts the slim is already below the PS4. I'm telling ya, it should have launched with software... At least PS3 slim had Uncharted 2. This has nothing.
What could have gone with it? All their titles are toward the end of the year and what sort of software would be big enough to help push it? Gears 4?

Sheesh. You guys.

What was said was that MS' new reporting (Users, etc) aligns with the newly stated strategy.

Not that the strategy is consistent with previous strategies, not that the strategy is good or bad.

Just that the way they're talking about numbers is consistent with the strategy they've recently laid out.

This consistency of reporting vs strategy isn't inherently a "good" or "bad" thing or leads to any conclusions about potential outcomes of the strategy.
I agree with that..MAU’s make sense for the new direction. I was just talking about the moves the company as a whole are making as far as consumer products.

GnawtyDog

Banned

#22-Uncharted 4
#25-Doom PS4
#28-GTAV PS4
#30-Minecraft Wii U
#31-Overwatch PS4
#37-Star Ocean 5
#41-Doom XB1
#51-Overwatch XB1
#53-Twilight Princess HD
#63-Overwatch PC
#67-FIFA 16 PS4
#68-GTAV XB1
#74-Ratchet and Clank
#81-Fallout 4 PS4
#89-TLOU Remastered
#91-Fallout 4 XB1
#93-NBA 2K16 XB1

I was about to ask just this. Kinda worried no Xbox console was going to make it (besides Slim pre-orders). #43 is still low damn...

Conduit

Banned
Microsoft Napalm sale today:

Microsoft Store is offering a very strong Xbox One sale during their Memorial Day sales event. In this special promotion, eight Xbox One bundles are getting discounts up to $80 off, an extra free Xbox One wireless controller plus a free Ubisoft game of your choice.

The best deal in our opinion is 1TB Xbox One Spring Bundle, discounted by $80 to $319.99 plus a free controller and the aforementioned game. While the freebie game choices aren’t anything special, an extra title is an extra title. The next best bundle is the 1TB Rainbow Six Siege bundle, and finally everything else is getting a $50 only discount (include the more recent 1TB The Division bundle).

free choice.

Xbox One Memorial Day Sale MSRP % Off Sale Price
Xbox One 1TB Spring + Free Controller & Game $399.99 20% $319
Xbox One 1TB Six Siege + Free Controller & Game $399.99 20% $319
Xbox One 1TB The Division + Free Controller & Game $399.99 13% $349.99
Xbox One with Kinect + Free Controller & Game $499 30% $349
Xbox One Elite + Free Controller & Game $499 10% $449
Xbox One “Name Game” + Free Controller & Game $349.99 14% $299.99
Xbox One LEGO Movie + Free Controller & Game $349.99 15% $299
Xbox One GOW Ultimate + Free Controller & Game $349.99 15% $299

No expiration is noted by Microsoft :

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/3...r-game-memorial-day-sale/#G2hQwA1VlMW7bIdV.99

If last part true it will likely go on until E3. If there's a slim it may be indefinite.

These Xbox deals are crazy.

This post is from NPD May Predictions thread.

Anyway, looks like deals are still on.

The first one for 320$ :

https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...2459594)(qcLRzjFniJE-A1FG_2KowBnBJ0MGhKTEBQ)()

Now with 50$ Gift card. Damn!

Top Bottom