• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

watdaeff4

PS4 must outsell XB1 by 260,000 for break that 2 million gap.

No way PS4 wins August, and if wins September can't be by how much to cancell the August gap.

So, PS4 must beat XB1 by 260,000 in June and July, aka 130,000 at month...

Could be possible. Though i don't think will happen.

PS4 price drop in August to combat Xbox Slim and to clear stock for upcoming NEO launch for PSVR. or to increase user base for PSVR.

EDIT: also, in August, isn't it only the $399 model that is available to purchase? If so, I'm not ready to say that PS4 can't get close, if not win August. Not to mention I wonder if the average consumer will decide to wait another year to buy the Scorpio as it will be the new great thing and they only have to wait a year.

Also, to expand a bit more on my thought as to why Sony might consider a price drop:

If we really are moving away from console generations and iterative consoles with BC and forwards compatibility, Sony might roll the dice to bring as many new adopters into it's ecosystem and not let them go to MS. With that model, there won't be the huge swings we say from PS2-->Xbox 360-->PS4 user bases like we say over the last 15 years (again speculation and opinion) - not to mention the added benefit of adding even more potential customers for PSVR/PS+/PSVue/etc.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
PS4 price drop in August to combat Xbox Slim and to clear stock for upcoming NEO launch for PSVR. or to increase user base for PSVR.

EDIT: also, in August, isn't it only the $399 model that is available to purchase? If so, I'm not ready to say that PS4 can't get close, if not win August. Not to mention I wonder if the average consumer will decide to wait another year to buy the Scorpio as it will be the new great thing and they only have to wait a year.

Also, to expand a bit more on my thought as to why Sony might consider a price drop:

If we really are moving away from console generations and iterative consoles with BC and forwards compatibility, Sony might roll the dice to bring as many new adopters into it's ecosystem and not let them go to MS. With that model, there won't be the huge swings we say from PS2-->Xbox 360-->PS4 user bases like we say over the last 15 years (again speculation and opinion) - not to mention the added benefit of adding even more potential customers for PSVR/PS+/PSVue/etc.

Didn't thought about this... yeah, if Sony make a $50 pricedrop and there will be only the $399 XBO SKUs maybe we will see a close month.

Still i expect XBO to win August.

What if Sony has a price drop in August. They are definitely going to have a price drop this year.

More over they have No Man sky in August and then final fantasy in September. So anything can happen.

Also XBO sales can crash in June And July in anticipation of Xbox one S . But Microsoft have reduced the prices which will help in keeping sales stable

Read above.

noobie

Banned
PS4 must outsell XB1 by 260,000 for break that 2 million gap.

No way PS4 wins August, and if wins September can't be by how much to cancell the August gap.

So, PS4 must beat XB1 by 260,000 in June and July, aka 130,000 at month...

Could be possible. Though i don't think will happen.
What if Sony has a price drop in August. They are definitely going to have a price drop this year.

More over they have No Man sky in August and then final fantasy in September. So anything can happen.

Also XBO sales can crash in June And July in anticipation of Xbox one S . But Microsoft have reduced the prices which will help in keeping sales stable

A few months ago we thought this gen was decided and NPD threads would become boring. Now it seems that nothing is sure and we are facing very interesting months to come.
Xbox price drops, new hardware and the question if sony answers will be entertaining. VR and the big unknowns Neo and Scorpio will be the icing on the cake.

Dinjooh

A few months ago we thought this gen was decided and NPD threads would become boring. Now it seems that nothing is sure and we are facing very interesting months to come.
Xbox price drops, new hardware and the question if sony answers will be entertaining. VR and the big unknowns Neo and Scorpio will be the icing on the cake.

I've seen you post quite some doubt about Neo launching this fall in some different threads now, what makes you doubt it's coming soon?

I've responded to a lot of peeps regarding this during the last few days and I summarized some of the things we know in this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207096513&postcount=48

Elandyll

Banned
Didn't thought about this... yeah, if Sony make a $50 pricedrop and there will be only the $399 XBO SKUs maybe we will see a close month.

Still i expect XBO to win August.

Read above.
Dunno.

On one hand, you have the XB1S arrival with a 2Tb drive and UHD BD in August (perhaps alongside the crackdown 3 beta), but on the other hand there's Gamescom and a possible official new price at $299 for PS4, No Man's Sky finally hitting, marketing of Deus Ex Mankind Divided, and I could see Sony having something up their sleeve (RDR demo/ mp beta?) Announced during the show.

I actually fully expect PS4 to win due to pricing of XB1S, just not by huge margins (7-10k?)...
By the time the lower cost XB1S arrive, the novelty factor will have worn out too, so imo it's a missed opportunity for MS.

People have been proclaiming something will happen that will change the fortunes of things and calling NPD months "interesting" every single month since the gen launched.

allan-bh

I believe all months remaining in 2016 will be interesting for HW.

Will be some expectations about Xbox One sales in june/july due to lower price and deals, in august Xbox One S 2TB, later Xbox One S 500GB/1TB, maybe a price drop for PS4, VR, holidays...

That's great for debating sales.

You'd think the people at Microsoft that would be talking to media would, I don't know, maybe get together before the show and say "hey, this is our message. Everyone good?"

I agree with you guys on the next few months being far more interesting than I think we all thought a few months ago.

After the conferences, it seems that the future (in terms of sales potential) is even more cloudy than many thought it would leading up to E3.

Microsoft messaging is a complete mess (but not quite the disaster of 2013), VR is not gaining big traction at E3 (at least I'm not seeing it) and there's still incredible uncertainty around the iterative console model (if that's even what it ends up being!)

I didn't think I'd come out of E3 being more confused about the direction of the market.

allan-bh

You'd think the people at Microsoft that would be talking to media would, I don't know, maybe get together before the show and say "hey, this is our message. Everyone good?"

I agree with you guys on the next few months being far more interesting than I think we all thought a few months ago.

After the conferences, it seems that the future (in terms of sales potential) is even more cloudy than many thought it would leading up to E3.

Microsoft messaging is a complete mess (but not quite the disaster of 2013), VR is not gaining big traction at E3 (at least I'm not seeing it) and there's still incredible uncertainty around the iterative console model (if that's even what it ends up being!)

I didn't think I'd come out of E3 being more confused about the direction of the market.

Caught my attention too, it's far for being one of the most discussed topics. Sony conference was disappointing in my view in terms of create hype for PS VR.

Dinjooh

I've seen you post quite some doubt about Neo launching this fall in some different threads now, what makes you doubt it's coming soon?

I've responded to a lot of peeps regarding this during the last few days and I summarized some of the things we know in this post:

Andrew House sort of killed the discussion I had hoped to have had, thanks Andy.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=207182423

Andrew House, the president of Sony Interactive Entertainment, has said that he was "surprised" to see Microsoft announce its next console 'Project Scorpio' at E3 given how far away it is from release.

"I was surprised by the step of announcing something over a year ahead of time," House said, talking to The Guardian about Scorpio's reveal. "The dynamics of the tech industry are such that there's a much heavier emphasis on immediate gratification than there was. A lot of that is to do with how Apple has very cleverly and elegantly managed the 'available now' approach. So yes, that was a slight surprise to me."

Shizza

Yeah, lol.
So what do we expect from a marketing deal? I'd say selling more software. So either the deal was not effective or poorly made, leading to no additional sales, or it had an effect and sales would have been even worse without. Sad both ways.

Leads me to a question for our excel wizards:
On NPD charts 2016, top 10, how many times was an XboxOne version sold more often than the PS4 version?
5 months, so 50 spots to take. Exclusives like QB counting of course.

I didn't see anyone answer your question, so looking through 2016:

Jan: PS4: 6; XB1: 3; 360: 1
Feb: PS4: 7; XB1: 1; 360: 1; 3DS: 1
Mar: PS4: 6; XB1: 1; 360: 1; WIU: 2
Apr: PS4: 6; XB1: 3; WIU: 1
May: PS4: 9; XB1: 1

Total: PS4: 34; XB1: 9; 360: 3; WIU 3; 3DS 1

thanks for the link to your writeup. Of course Neo is highly likely for this year, with House's latest statement even more reassuring. Nevertheless I will not say it's absolutely waterproof until it's announced officially.
People have been proclaiming something will happen that will change the fortunes of things and calling NPD months "interesting" every single month since the gen launched.
I hope you are joking. With all the stuff that might and will be we are entering a golden era of speculation, predictions, meltdowns and agendas.
I don't see anything substantial changing to be honest but I may have an agenda too.
If I understand correctly, you will not see a change in platform leadership. Guess you are right, but MS's move with the XboxOne S has my respect. It was the right thing to do, but might be too little when Neo is really coming out just 2 or 3 months later.
Right now, with stock cleaning sales from MS, plus a new hardware, they should have a good performance until October or so for sure. Then there will be Gears, also a nice thing.
I am eager to see when/if the unified gaming stuff takes off and if it will help or hurt Xbox.
Thanks, that's awfully kind of you.

noobie

Banned
On the world wide level don't see much is going to change. In my view these half cycle refreshes are more beneficial to the winning console then to the losing console because of your group is on PS 4 then you are not going to jump on XBO, so more chances are you will buy NEO and then your other members in group will also but NEO. More over Sony has some exclusivity with COD and destiny two of the biggest multiplayer games. So it will also help them keep their customers tied to their system.

Just my 2.35 cents

Welfare

Just no. Even if XBO get the same boost of last year (+115%, and that's almost impossible), PS4 will still most likely win.
I'm still expecting a PS4 win, but both 500GB and 1TB bundles being under $300 should give a big boost, in addition to June being a better month than May already.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I'm still expecting a PS4 win, but both 500GB and 1TB bundles being under $300 should give a big boost, in addition to June being a better month than May already.

Like i said, there are almost no chance XBO will get the same boost it got last year.

The PS4 sold with an avg. Of ~52K in May. It was Uncharted month, yeah, but like you said June is a better month. If we say that in the worst scenario PS4 will have a -15% weekly avg drop, it should still sell almost as much as XBO will sell with a 112% MOM boost.

You see, that's really, REALLY unlucky.

Code:
PS4 with a -15% weekly drop ~220.000
XBO with a +112% MOM boost ~227.000

I can see a better gap than the usual 2016 months, but still, i don't expect a close month.

My bet, PS4 wins by ~50K.

PS4 ~250K
XBO ~200K

Gonna chance those predictions surely though, but i doubt will chance my opinion about PS4 > XBO.

Occam

Is this a thread thats a sanctuary from the monster that is Scorpio?

ps3ud0 8)

Why do you keep doing this? Is it because of "Look at me, look at me, I'm a unique"? Or are you suffering from some sort of compulsive disorder?
Did you actually manually type "ps3ud0 8)" 1,901 times? That would certainly qualify as borderline mental. Please tell me it's a script.
The reason signature banners are forbidden on NeoGAF is because they are annoying. They are distracting visual clutter and add nothing of value. You are basically circumventing this ban. Just imagine everyone started doing the same!
Many members have already added you to their ignore lists. Is this what you are striving for, to piss off your fellow forumites and be ignored by as many people as possible? Why do you pretend not to notice that people have been mocking you about this ever since you joined?
While the content of your posts isn't bad, nearly every time I come across one of your messages I notice the annoying signature and automatically skip to the next post. You are doing yourself a disservice.

Welfare

Like i said, there are almost no chance XBO will get the same boost it got last year.

The PS4 sold with an avg. Of ~52K in May. It was Uncharted month, yeah, but like you said June is a better month. If we say that in the worst scenario PS4 will have a -15% weekly avg drop, it should still sell almost as much as XBO will sell with a 112% MOM boost.

You see, that's really, REALLY unlucky.

Code:
PS4 with a -15% weekly drop ~220.000
XBO with a +112% MOM boost ~227.000

I can see a better gap than the usual 2016 months, but still, i don't expect a close month.

My bet, PS4 wins by ~50K.

PS4 ~250K
XBO ~200K

Gonna chance those predictions surely though, but i doubt will chance my opinion about PS4 > XBO.

I'm not saying that the XB1 will outsell the PS4, but saying it won't get a similar boost to last year is strange. According to Greenberg, the week the 1TB model launched in was +79% over the previous week, and that was just a new, more expensive model at $399.

Throughout the entire month of June, the XB1 has had massive price cuts from the starting prices back in May.

500GB bundles: $349 -> $279 (-20%)
1TB bundles: $399 -> $299 (-25%)
Kinect bundle: $399 -> $279 (-30%)
Elite bundle: $499 -> $349 (-30%)

That's pretty massive, and since May was already very low thanks to the price going back up $50, sales should rebound.

I'm also expecting the PS4 to have around the same weekly average from May.

Why do you keep doing this? Is it because of "Look at me, look at me, I'm a unique"? Or are you suffering from some sort of compulsive disorder?
Did you actually manually type "ps3ud0 8)" 1,901 times? That would certainly qualify as borderline mental. Please tell me it's a script.
The reason signature banners are forbidden on NeoGAF is because they are annoying. They are distracting visual clutter and add nothing of value. You are basically circumventing this ban. Just imagine everyone started doing the same!
Many members have already added you to their ignore lists. Is this what you are striving for, to piss off your fellow forumites and be ignored by as many people as possible? Why do you pretend not to notice that people have been mocking you about this ever since you joined?
While the content of your posts isn't bad, nearly every time I come across one of your messages I notice the annoying signature and automatically skip to the next post. You are doing yourself a disservice.

Why the hate?

Welfare 8)

ethomaz

Banned
C'mon.

ethomaz 8)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I'm not saying that the XB1 will outsell the PS4, but saying it won't get a similar boost to last year is strange. According to Greenberg, the week the 1TB model launched in was +79% over the previous week, and that was just a new, more expensive model at $399.

Throughout the entire month of June, the XB1 has had massive price cuts from the starting prices back in May.

500GB bundles: $349 -> $279 (-20%)
1TB bundles: $399 -> $299 (-25%)
Kinect bundle: $399 -> $279 (-30%)
Elite bundle: $499 -> $349 (-30%)

That's pretty massive, and since May was already very low thanks to the price going back up $50, sales should rebound.

I'm also expecting the PS4 to have around the same weekly average from May.

Why the hate?

Welfare 8)

You are missing an important part, June 2015 was also a month of insane promotion, just like in April 2015 you was able to buy a XBO for $125 or $175... And not only XBO, but even PS4 this time got the same insane promotions.

Both did insane numbers that month, the PS4 more thanks the Batman AK bundle, but still, that bundle only count for 1/3 of PS4 sales in June.

Same XBO, the 1TB model helped and all, but the main reason of those insane sales were the promotions.

Now, those new prices for XBO looks cool and all, but it's not gonna do the same as last year, even because keep in mind, XBO got insane promotions A LOT of times, there are a lot of people who already bouth an XBO for a better price than $220.

This, and the Slim model. I mean, people know a better version of XBO is incoming. Why buy an XBO now, and not wait some months for the best model?

I remain confident with my predictions, i don't see XBO much over 200K in June.

Tolu 8)

Spencer goes into detail on why they look at users rather than installed base on day 2 of the giant bomb e3 show. Excellent interview overall. Check it out.

Dinjooh

What are your thoughts on Sony's financial statements regarding PS4 sales - will they bundle both PS4 and PS4K together or will they separate them?

geordiemp

Not like this

Geordie 8)

What are your thoughts on Sony's financial statements regarding PS4 sales - will they bundle both PS4 and PS4K together or will they separate them?
They will list them seperately if they are good. Otherwise PS4 family.
As far as I understood companies can group results as they like as long as the numbers are correct (see microsofts bundling of business units). So a separate number for PSVR and /or Neo would indicate that they are happy with the result.

Edson Farley 8)

donny2112

You're asking if the company that combined PS3 and PS4 sales will combine two versions of the PS4. Sony is the reason we stopped getting HW sales directly from NPD. Sony is the company that gave us Christmas sales from the week before Nov. NPD closed to 3 weeks into December one year. i.e. Almost completely useless to get meaningful information out of it. This is the company that is dominating the market handily, and they still post nothing but worldwide total sales. Sony has done everything they can to obfuscate real sales since the PS3 era, and they've shown zero signs of changing that.

There. That should be all the info you need to determine the most likely possibility now.

Humdinger

The reason signature banners are forbidden on NeoGAF is because they are annoying. They are distracting visual clutter and add nothing of value.

Thank you. Seems very pretentious and attention-seeking.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
From Aqua on Chartz, a comparation between Battlefield 4 and Star Wars: Battlefront:

Battfleield 4 (Oct 2013 NPD + Nov 2013 NPD): 2376K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (Nov 2015 NPD): 1725K LTD (-27%)

Battlefield 4 (Dec 2013 NPD): 3741K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (Dec 2015 NPD): 3568K LTD (-5%)

Battlefield 4 (Jan 2014 NPD): 3946K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (Jan 2016 NPD): 3742K LTD (-5%)

Battlefield 4 (Feb 2014 NPD): 4141K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (Feb 2016 NPD): 3854K LTD (-7%)

Battflefield 4 (Mar 2014 NPD): 4284K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (Mar 2016 NPD) 3930K LTD (-8%)

Battflefield 4 (Apr 2014 NPD): 4373K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (Apr 2016 NPD): 3973K LTD (-9%)

Battfleield 4 (May 2014 NPD): 4437K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (May 2016 NPD): 4011K LTD (-10%)

Including bundle Star Wars should be over 5.13 million if i'm not wrong...

allan-bh

From Aqua on Chartz, a comparation between Battlefield 4 and Star Wars: Battlefront:

Battfleield 4 (Oct 2013 NPD + Nov 2013 NPD): 2376K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (Nov 2015 NPD): 1725K LTD (-27%)

Battlefield 4 (Dec 2013 NPD): 3741K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (Dec 2015 NPD): 3568K LTD (-5%)

Battlefield 4 (Jan 2014 NPD): 3946K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (Jan 2016 NPD): 3742K LTD (-5%)

Battlefield 4 (Feb 2014 NPD): 4141K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (Feb 2016 NPD): 3854K LTD (-7%)

Battflefield 4 (Mar 2014 NPD): 4284K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (Mar 2016 NPD) 3930K LTD (-8%)

Battflefield 4 (Apr 2014 NPD): 4373K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (Apr 2016 NPD): 3973K LTD (-9%)

Battfleield 4 (May 2014 NPD): 4437K LTD
Star Wars Battlefront (May 2016 NPD): 4011K LTD (-10%)

Including bundle Star Wars should be over 5.13 million if i'm not wrong...

Battlefield 4 is way better than Battlefront.

ethomaz

Banned
Spencer goes into detail on why they look at users rather than installed base on day 2 of the giant bomb e3 show. Excellent interview overall. Check it out.
While it is a good explanation about why they are using MAUs it didn't really add up to stop to give shipment numbers.

Really I thought that explanation of not trying to be put in a bad light with PlayStation was bogus. They could easily do both, makes no sense.

The explanation is sound for doing MAU reports. It's not for not doing milestone hardware updates. MAU can go right along with "we shipped 15 million, we shipped 20 million etc.."

Really I thought that explanation of not trying to be put in a bad light with PlayStation was bogus. They could easily do both, makes no sense.

The explanation is sound for doing MAU reports. It's not for not doing milestone hardware updates. MAU can go right along with "we shipped 15 million, we shipped 20 million etc.."
Sure they can do both, but what is the benefit for Micrsoft to give shipment of sales numbers in the current situation. It will be interesting to see if they give us some PR feedback when Xbox Slim will win it's release month.

The interview itself is quite good actually. Their play anywhere strategy makes sense for them and is "the battle for the living room" with a new focus. Before it was multimedia, now it's multiplatform. If it actually works is not sure, as they face even bigger competition in PC gaming platforms as in consoles. Steam, Origin and maybe even GOG are well in advance. Only way to get there will be with a lot of money and/or misuse of their OS monopoly.
Also, the eco-system they are planning is not as attractive as apple's or google's as they have no focus on smartphones, the centerpiece of modern living.

Sure, no one's saying anyone has to like it.

But at the least, it shows consistency with the strategy. If they are really all in on cross buy and play anywhere, and are going forward with measuring success based on Win10 usage across whatever device, then they are reporting and measuring the data that aligns with that strategy.

Top Bottom