• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

MisterR

At $299 I believe this Slim model will improve significantly Xbox One sales in the coming months and will be a hit in holidays w/ deals.

My bet at the beggining of the year was that with a Slim model 2016 would surpass sales of 2015 and I'm feeling more confident that will happen.

Why exactly? You think people haven't been buying Xbox Ones because they are too big?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
It's 85k below 2015, considering that sales are very concentrated in the holidays, remains very possible to beat 2015.

It's below 85K so far.

Before the holidays here, this gap is gonna increase heavly. Just next month, we will most likely see a +100K gap, or at very best 70K gap. ( June 2015 for XBO was insane ).

And i can't see holidays be much better.

allan-bh

It's below 85K so far.

Before the holidays here, this gap is gonna increase heavly. Just next month, we will most likely see a +100K gap, or at very best 70K gap. ( June 2015 for XBO was insane ).

I don't think so. Slim will change this trend.

June likely will have a big YoY drop (unless MS repeat 2010 and launch model S this month), but will be recovered later.

Welfare

Those are - I want to say always but there might be an exception proving the rule - introduced as significant price reductions though.

PS2 slim kept the $149 price the PS2 got back in May 2004

PS3 slim got a new HDD size (120GB) for $299. PS3 did get a price cut of $100 the month before the slim launch (40GB $299 160GB $399)

360 slim had 3 SKU's with new prices (Arcade model $149, 120GB $249, and 250GB $299), when before there was only the Arcade model at $199 and the 120GB model at $249.

Xbox One is sorta in different situation as just two months ago, it was $299, but now it's officially $299, so how price will affect the system will have to be seen.

It's below 85K so far.

What? If June has the slim launch, it'll sky rocket over June 2015. June 2015 was so high because of the 1TB model launch at $399. A slim at $299 will do way better than the 297k in 2015.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Xbox One S comes out in August.
...Honestly, that's a bit too much time between announcement and release, I was expecting one month at most. One's probably going to have two pretty slow months. July could be really awful.

Could someone tell me if I won or lost my bet?

I guess that's the done thing around here...why not?
Proposal:
Slim XboxOne model shown at E3 - I win
No Slim XboxOne model shown at E3 - You win
Price/punishment: 1 month of avatar occupation. No vore.
Deal?

P.S.: XboxOne model does mean hardware revision with comparable specs to vanilla. Not booth babes.
XboxOne slim was shown, but I am not sure about hardware revision with comparable specs to vanilla.
Anyone who wants to judge?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Could someone tell me if I won or lost my bet?

XboxOne slim was shown, but I am not sure about hardware revision with comparable specs to vanilla.
Anyone who wants to judge?

I thought the Slim has the same specs as the original, it just has an internal power brick.

A new model normally causes an effect in sales. Either are people looking as a new reason to jump in or people trading their old model for the new one.

And this isn't normally - because why spent money in 2016 on slim when you can keep money and your old console for one year more and get Scorpio/Neo ?

I think Microsoft just killed their sales for next 18 months, we will see if PS4 suffers from it too

allan-bh

And this isn't normally - because why spent money in 2016 on slim when you can keep money and your old console for one year more and get Scorpio/Neo ?

Because people that are looking for enter this generation now, aren't the same people that bought a Xbox One in 2013-14 and want a more powerful console in next year.

Maybe some current owners will not buy the Slim because of the Scorpio, but they aren't the only target of model S.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
At this point i have a doubt... is this "scorpio" the new XBOX? Aka, will microsoft start the new generation of XBOX with this console, and XB1 will be replaced?

If so... 2017 is even sooner than i thought. (2018)

Welfare

An August launch is questionable. Wonder why they are waiting 2 months.

Still, will do very well at $299.

And Ryng, MS are ditching generations. Scorpio will be their high end 4k machine while the XB1S is a low tier 4k media + game device.

And Ryng, MS are ditching generations. Scorpio will be their high end 4k machine while the XB1S is a low tier 4k media + game device.

August is also No Man's Sky. It will be a great month.

At this point i have a doubt... is this "scorpio" the new XBOX? Aka, will microsoft start the new generation of XBOX with this console, and XB1 will be replaced?

He only referred to "the end of generations" about two dozen times. So, guessing not.

Elandyll

Banned

XB1S launches with the $399 model only in August.

That's a risk they're taking, thinking the form factor, 2Tb HDD and UHDBR player will make people forgive a price increase of $100 for no additional power.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Come on, Ring, we overlook your typos because we love you. Surely, you can extend the same courtesy? :B

Sorry, i didn't resisted. =D

He only referred to "the end of generations" about two dozen times. So, guessing not.

Dw94wOc.png

That's a risk they're taking, thinking the form factor, 2Tb HDD and UHDBR player will make people forgive a price increase of $100 for no additional power.

Expect Microsoft not to say too loudly that 4k only is about the movies, not about the games.

Welfare

Who is this Rung you are talking about, never heard about him. :p
Auto correct is a bitch.

There is the $299 500GB and $349 1TB releasing in August as well, just a bit after the 2TB one.

cakely

Xbox One S comes out in August.
...Honestly, that's a bit too much time between announcement and release, I was expecting one month at most. One's probably going to have two pretty slow months. July could be really awful.

The timing of the announcement is terrible. June and July Xbox One sales are going to be abysmal. August may be the last NPD win for Xbox One until holiday 2017.

LordRaptor

The timing of the announcement is terrible. June and July Xbox One sales are going to be abysmal. August may be the last NPD win for Xbox One until holiday 2017.

You think the Xbox One is going to sell well in the same period that when it's successor arrives? Or you think what is clearly a different console should still be considered an Xbox One?

The timing of the announcement is terrible. June and July Xbox One sales are going to be abysmal.

They were already going to be terrible. Now they can run a couple deals to clear out reaming stock over the next 10 weeks and see what the S can get them. This is a perfectly acceptable plan.

It's just nice that they want to stay in the race and don't abandon console gaming. I would not have thought they are really interested in consoles any more.

The Slim will sell fine and we will see if they might be the only one with fresh console hardware this year.

Yes, they are effectively starting over, but will not say that outright. As to compatibility, that is really only going one way.
Also, I doubt Holiday 2017 applies outside of US and UK.

Chobel

Any idea if the announcement of Scorpio is gonna affect the sales of XB1 And XB1 S?

Any other day and I would have said XB1 sales will suffer significantly, but now seeing MS talking about it like it's no big deal had me questioning my first thought. I mean MS must have done some market research before announcing it to see if XB1 sales would get affected negatively, right?

Any idea if the announcement of Scorpio is gonna affect the sales of XB1 And XB1 S?

Any other day and I would have said XB1 sales will suffer significantly, but now seeing MS talking about it like it's no big deal had me questioning my first thought. I mean MS must have done some market research before announcing it to see if XB1 sales would get affected negatively, right?
They will have old stock clearance sales to boost sales until the S comes out. Then they will have a month or two of upgrades. After that, who knows?

Welfare

Console sales don't crater because a new system gets announced. That has never happened.

With MS dropping generations, XB1S can live on past 2017 as a low cost 4K media with gaming device.

ethomaz

Banned
OMG I'm out from Scorpio thread.

People are really believing the Scorpio 6TFs AMD GPU will match GTX 1080 and play games in 4k@60fps (something even 1080 can't).

Ironic that my title was give to me because I was accused being pro-consoles in a DF thread lol

cakely

You think the Xbox One is going to sell well in the same period that when it's successor arrives? Or you think what is clearly a different console should still be considered an Xbox One?

I guess I was thinking that Xbox One Scorpio would still be an Xbox One. I was also thinking that PlayStation 4 Neo would still be a PlayStation 4.

I take it that is not the general consensus.

Top Bottom