• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

For sure most reactions have been overwhelmingly positive but for me personally there are a little things that make me a bit skeptical. So I'm going to play the wait and see game and find out whether my doubts were ill founded or not. At the same time I can't deny that I have them. I suppose I could just not comment on it at all but I felt compelled to respond when the topic came up.

Nah, it's fair enough to be cautious like I posted earlier.
Nothing wrong with not blindly following the hype.

Overall, I think the two delays are actually encouraging signs of ND's drive to ensure high quality across SP especially.

Could cause lower sales at launch but ensure a legacy for long term legs as a PS4 must have title.

The Order 1886 is pretty low. Not even discounted pricing can save it.

This might be a case where the digital sales are relatively high, because the 10$ sale was digital only as far as I can tell. The lowest I've seen the disc go is 20$, and that was post-Christmas.

There seemed to be quite a few people on message boards doing the "What the hell, it's only 10$" thing when that price was announced.

ethomaz

Banned
H ~ 1699
FM ~ 451
GOWU ~ 371
ROTTR ~ 345
RR ~ 239
SOD ~ 81

BB ~ 754
MLB ~ 626
1886 ~ 357
UD ~ 330
U ~ 259
GOW3R ~ 162
TU ~ 24

Halo flopped hard.
Forza is ok.
Gears is ok too.
Tomb Raider not that good in sales.
Rare Replay did low numbers too.
State of Decay flopped.

Bloodborne amazing for US... it will hit 1m LT.
MLB good.
The Order did meh but expected by quality.
Great for Until Dawn.
Uncharted is ok.
GoW3 flopped.
TearAway flopped.

Javin98

Banned
Mechanically and graphically it certainly looks impressive but the buds and prices of the story we've seen so far have me a bit worried. Like I said something just feels off about the plot and honestly I'm not crazy at all about the idea of branching dialogue in Uncharted. It's just hit at all what I want out of the series.

I'm well aware I'm in the minority in my reaction though so it's cool I won't begrudge anyone their hype but I can't deny my own doubts either.
In my opinion, it is very unfair to be judging the story right now based on the trailers we've seen. ND is intentionally being vague regarding most of the plot points. Hell, we don't even have a glimpse of the supposedly main antagonist, Rafe, yet. We don't know what kind of trouble Sam is in. We don't know why Nate feels obligated to risk his life and relationship with Elena for Sam. In short, ND hasn't revealed much about the story and I think we should reserve judgement until the game releases. I don't see any reason to doubt Bruce and Neil after they released the best game of last generation.

I think uncharted 4 will be the lowest rated entry in the series. Too much craziness going on during development + multiple delays + heavy emphasis on multiplayer complete with Microtransactions does not a confident Rex make. I'm also not digging the idea of Nathan all the sudden having a brother we have somehow never heard about before. Hell uncharted 3 certainly made it seem he was a loner with no family until he met Sully so it's almost like it goes against the grain of previous games. Anyway, its just a gut feeling I've had for a couple months now. I could be wrong of course but I can't deny I'm extremely apprehensive about it.

Unleash the kraken!

Hahaha! Perfection.

The Microtransactions for the MP seem especially egregious this time around. I don't know I just can't shake the feeling that it'll be a really awkward end product as a whole. The delays and the development shift just foster a whole lot of trepidation on my end. I'd be happy to be wrong but I'll definitely be waiting to find out before I pick the game up. I don't know how else to explain it but a lot if what I've seen so far from the game just feels off to me for whatever reason.

I don't get any of this at all really and think you are way off base. Like in the clouds somewhere. The beta wasn't even my cup of tea but I can acknowledge it was well made, you should read through the thread sometime, praises abound. Delays don't always mean bad either, just look at Red Dead.

RexNovis

Banned
The Uncharted will have a 5o/5o chance of being good because we just don't know. It's selling 8 million LTD though. Obviously.

this post brought to you by sarcasm and magic fairy dust

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think God of War 3 flopped. That probably turned a nice profit. Sony's just putting points on the board this gen basically. Kinda the opposite of sony last gen. lol.

The Order did fabulous. I cannot wait for The Order 2 starring

No way Splatoon Sell less than Mario Kart 8 Second year.
Ignore Launch, and since that Splatoon ALWAYS Sold better than Kart.
Before Welfare Say "is happen only The second quarter" don't worry is happen even last quarter, we easy know This Thanks Media Create, NPD, and Nintendo numbers.
Splatoon Sold Over 500k This quarter only in Japan.
Do You really believe it will ship less than 1.28m WW?

Are you ignoring bundles? Because I would expect that Microsoft will bundle the shit out of Halo 5 next year.

RexNovis

Banned
In my opinion, it is very unfair to be judging the story right now based on the trailers we've seen. ND is intentionally being vague regarding most of the plot points. Hell, we don't even have a glimpse of the supposedly main antagonist, Rafe, yet. We don't know what kind of trouble Sam is in. We don't know why Nate feels obligated to risk his life and relationship with Elena for Sam. In short, ND hasn't revealed much about the story and I think we should reserve judgement until the game releases. I don't see any reason to doubt Bruce and Neil after they released the best game of last generation.

We'll see I'm one of those people that LOVED Uncharted and did not enjoy TLOU. Weird I know. Sacrilege even perhaps but still the truth. As such Bruce and Neil don't give me the confidence that they do you or the many others that loved TLOU. I'm aware that they are amazing at what they do but TLOU just did not appeal to me in the way that it did so many others. So when I hear that the duo responsible for the TLOU is now heading up Uncharted 4 to me that's another cause for skepticism.

As far as it not being fair to judge the story by what we've seen, it's all we have at this point so it's the only thing I have to judge it by. I'd rather judge it by what I've seen than but I what I haven't but hope is there.

I don't get any of this at all really and think you are way off base. Like in the clouds somewhere. The beta wasn't even my cup of tea but I can acknowledge it was well made, you should read through the thread sometime, praises abound. Delays don't always mean bad either, just look at Red Dead.

? The beta was multiplayer. As I said before I'm not at all interested in the multiplayer. I play uncharted games for the campaign.

Not sure how my having a dissenting opinion on a purely subjective matter (such as the promise of a game) is "way off base" or "head in the clouds." Unless you are claiming that having an opinion contrary to majority is inherently unreasonable to which I would say: that's absurd.

I am in the camp that sees Splatoon outselling Halo 5 worldwide. The only obstacle imo is just that WiiU is getting replaced in a year so that'll cut its legs. Looking at Halo 5s current sales I don't see it having very good legs either. We hve splatoons physical nunbers but do we know how it faired includi g he bundle?

Ricky_R

Order was around 370k in Europe after first half of the year. Add second half and digital sales and it's easily over 1 million.

That's nice, although possibly not enough to recoup or to warrant a sequel.

crying-oklahoma-state-player-sports-crying-gifs.gif

There is now way UC4 will be the lowest rated UC game .
UC1 is at 88 avg and i expect it to get higher than that .
Don't think it going to reach UC2 ( 96 ) or TLOU (95)
Should be the fast selling one also and think it going to have okay legs for the year .

Javin98

Banned
We'll see I'm one of those people that LOVED Uncharted and did not enjoy TLOU. Weird I know. Sacrilege even perhaps but still the truth. As such Bruce and Neil don't give me the confidence that they do you or the many others that loved TLOU. I'm aware that they are amazing at what they do but TLOU just did not appeal to me in the way that it did so many others. So when I hear that the duo responsible for the TLOU is now heading up Uncharted 4 to me that's another cause for skepticism.

As far as it not being fair to judge the story by what we've seen, it's all we have at this point so it's the only thing I have to judge it by. I'd rather judge it by what I've seen than but I what I haven't but hope is there.
Ah, this makes a lot of sense to me now. Well, I guess if you didn't like TLOU, I can understand why you have your doubts. But for those of us who love TLOU, we have a lot of faith in the Druckley dynamic duo. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. From what we've seen, the tone and humor is still very similar to previous games and the duo said that they won't make it too serious. Also, I wouldn't be worried that the story is poorly written or anything. I guess even if the rare chance that the story underwhelms, you still have a game that plays really well and looks amazing visually.

I don't think God of War 3 flopped. That probably turned a nice profit. Sony's just putting points on the board this gen basically. Kinda the opposite of sony last gen. lol.

The Order did fabulous. I cannot wait for The Order 2 starring

Agreed. GoW 3 probably cost peanuts as a port job to PS4.
SSM probably pour more cash into their Xdev projects.

But please Kev, you've left me in suspense on whose starring in The Order 2 -_-

That duo also had a hand in UC2 which is the highest rated UC game .
Either way when those 2 are involve it's a better thing in my book .
Plus what they learn from TLOU already makes UC4 look better for eg more open areas for more options in gameplay .

Raist

Banned
I don't think God of War 3 flopped. That probably turned a nice profit.

Yeah. They probably just pushed a "port to PS4" button. Other than FR and resolution, absolutely nothing was changed. I mean the game looked amazing to begin with anyway.

Y2Kev

? The beta was multiplayer. As I said before I'm not at all interested in the multiplayer. I play uncharted games for the campaign.

Not sure how my having a dissenting opinion on a purely subjective matter (such as the promise of a game) is "way off base" or "head in the clouds." Unless you are claiming that having an opinion contrary to majority is inherently unreasonable to which I would say: that's absurd.

But that makes no sense. They were also responsible for Uncharted 2.

Reviews are down across the board this gen so I think you need to apply a generational adjustment, but in general I would not expect this game to be rated lower.

Agreed. GoW 3 probably cost peanuts as a port job to PS4.
SSM probably pour more cash into their Xdev projects.

But please Kev, you've left me in suspense on whose starring in The Order 2 -_-

It's starring the biggest in Hollywood,

zsynqx

We'll see I'm one of those people that LOVED Uncharted and did not enjoy TLOU. Weird I know. Sacrilege even perhaps but still the truth. As such Bruce and Neil don't give me the confidence that they do you or the many others that loved TLOU. I'm aware that they are amazing at what they do but TLOU just did not appeal to me in the way that it did so many others.So when I hear that the duo responsible for the TLOU is now heading up Uncharted 4 to me that's another cause for skepticism.

Okay that makes sense, but don't forget that Neil and Bruce both were big players during Uncharted 2's development.

Many critics already sound like they're down on it because of delays and the dialogue options. And if the multiplayer micro transactions are as gross as some have said, I could see it averaging out at an 8.5.

Don't think that'll impact the sales at all tho. Plenty of new UC fans now after that bundle and Sony is going to market the hell out of it.

What rubbish

LifEndz

There is now way UC4 will be the lowest rated UC game .
UC1 is at 88 avg and i expect it to get higher than that .
Don't think it going to reach UC2 ( 96 ) or TLOU (95)
Should be the fast selling one also and think it going to have okay legs for the year .

Many critics already sound like they're down on it because of delays and the dialogue options. And if the multiplayer micro transactions are as gross as some have said, I could see it averaging out at an 8.5.

Don't think that'll impact the sales at all tho. Plenty of new UC fans now after that bundle and Sony is going to market the hell out of it.

Javin98

Banned
I really hope Uncharted 4 averages at more than 90 at least. I don't have much faith in critics today, though. I still remember things like "not open world" and "lack of next gen gameplay" being a complaint.

Y2Kev

I really hope Uncharted 4 averages at more than 90 at least. I don't have much faith in critics today, though. I still remember things like "not open world" and "lack of next gen gameplay" being a complaint.

I don't think it matters. The press has gotten super irrelevant this gen. Most of them are thrashing about too.

Javin98

Banned
I don't think it matters. The press has gotten super irrelevant this gen.
I agree with this and I typically rely only on GAF for impressions. But I can't even imagine the trolls in the review thread and after that using low scores as proof that the "PS4 has no gamezz!!"

ethomaz

Banned
Reviews are down across the board this gen so I think you need to apply a generational adjustment, but in general I would not expect this game to be rated lower.
Is this a real truth?

ctwpZY7.png

The review scores looks like last gen... to be fair what I see this gen are games with worst quality/bugs than last gen and that affect scores.

Y2Kev

I agree with this and I typically rely only on GAF for impressions. But I can't even imagine the trolls in the review thread and after that using low scores as proof that the "PS4 has no gamezz!!"

Yeah and then those people go back to their dark basements and cry about how Xbox is getting asswhooped. Really, no cry.

Is this a real truth?

ctwpZY7.png

I see a point or two reduction as pretty typical, but I think you have to look at the means and medians and not the top 10 games (which are like....almost all ports?).

Kysen

TLOU was a far better game than the Uncharteds. Better setting, better story and better gameplay mechanics. I was kinda sad ND went on to making UC4 instead of TLOU2.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
I think uncharted 4 will be the lowest rated entry in the series. Too much craziness going on during development + multiple delays + heavy emphasis on multiplayer complete with Microtransactions does not a confident Rex make. I'm also not digging the idea of Nathan all the sudden having a brother we have somehow never heard about before. Hell uncharted 3 certainly made it seem he was a loner with no family until he met Sully so it's almost like it goes against the grain of previous games. Anyway, its just a gut feeling I've had for a couple months now. I could be wrong of course but I can't deny I'm extremely apprehensive about it.

Rex, i respect your opinion and the points you make.

But i think it will be like with the Force Awakens. You (maybe) won't like it and the masses will adore it =]

Is this a real truth?

ctwpZY7.png

The review scores looks like last gen... to be fair what I see this gen are games with worst quality/bugs than last gen and that affect scores.

But half this list are ports. If you take them out the highest will be MGS V at 93.

At this point last gen we already had GTA IV and Mario Galaxy at 98, Bioshock at 96 and LBP at 95.

Who are these critics ?
I read some people were wondering how the dialogue options would work .
Then later on it was explain as not really a big part of the game .
Also don't think delays going to hurt it.

zsynqx

Who are these critics ?
I read some people were wondering how the dialogue options would work .
Then later on it was explain as not really a big part of the game .
Also don't think a delays going to hurt it.

Yep, certainly didn't hurt TLOU

TLOU was a far better game than the Uncharteds. Better setting, better story and better gameplay mechanics. I was kinda sad ND went on to making UC4 instead of TLOU2.

I agree but they are implementing a lot of what they learned developing that game into UC4.

These two recent quotes got me very excited.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191783592&postcount=1
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191791940&postcount=54

Plus the combat feels so much better now (from the beta)

Ricky_R

At least they will implement and expand on the gameplay mechanics they included in TLOU. Can't help you with the setting and story though.

I happen to like the story, characters, dialogue and setting on both.

I dont see Uncharted 4 scoring much lower than 2 & 3. Low 90s. To me the real test is if they can create a game as good as TLOU because I think that will determine the overall sales. I dont actually think that ND has good will from the TLOU for U4. I'm more in the camp that the game will actually have to be steller to top 1 million first month. That's a huge barrier. (Topping 1 million, not the game being good)

RexNovis

Banned
That duo also had a hand in UC2 which is the highest rated UC game .
Either way when those 2 are involve it's a better thing in my book .

But that makes no sense. They were also responsible for Uncharted 2.

Okay that makes sense, but don't forget that Neil and Bruce both were big players during Uncharted 2's development.

Yes unaware they were on the Uncharted 2 team but AFAIK this the first time they are leads for an Uncharted game and it's fresh off the heels of TLOU. Like I said there's a handful of little red flags for me from what we've seen so far. It's not any one thing in particular. And as I said before I could very well be wrong to be skeptical. I certainly hope I'm proven wrong but I can't help feeling what I've seen so far is a tad incongruous with my own understanding of the franchise so far.

But this is completely off topic for this thread. I've said my piece in the matter. I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone else that my thinking is somehow right or more correct I'm simply saying this is how I, personally, feel about the game given what I have seen thus far. If y'all disagree with me that's totally fine and I won't argue the merit of your thoughts or feelings on the matter as they are every bit as valid as mine. But the topic is kind of irrelevant to this thread so rather than continue to sidetrack the discussion here please just PM me if you wish to discuss the matter further. Cheers!

Javin98

Banned
Yeah and then those people go back to their dark basements and cry about how Xbox is getting asswhooped. Really, no cry.
Yes, I can see where you're going with this, Kev. You always knew how to hide your true intentions behind jokes. :p

Anyway, I know I'm being a bit unreasonable, but my hype for Uncharted 4 has been over the roof since this morning. I really want it to be a generation defining game. I guess I can blame this thread for the hype. :p

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Damn, Halo really has fallen. Forza, Gears, and Rare Replay did really good. State of Decay is eh, but it is a port for a game that many people bought digitally. Tomb Raider has already been discussed.

Fallen it has. But it is still a juggernaut, nobody else comes close. This is a gen of multiplatforms, exclusives don't matter anymore.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Fallen it has. But it is still a juggernaut, nobody else comes close.
Except Splatoon.

Anyway, I know I'm being a bit unreasonable, but my hype for Uncharted 4 has been over the roof since this morning. I really want it to be a generation defining game. I guess I can blame this thread for the hype. :p
The NPD Sales Results for December 2015 thread caused you to get max hype for Uncharted 4? lolwut

I agree but they are implementing a lot of what they learned developing that game into UC4.

Yep we saw that with there first demo they showed at PSX.
That area was already bigger than anything in other UC games.
It was easier to go in and out of stealth and other gameplay mechanics look as good .
After the beta i am most likely going to die in SP trying to swing on people to much fun lol .

Javin98

Banned
The NPD Sales Results for December 2015 thread caused you to get max hype for Uncharted 4? lolwut
Well, you guys started this whole discussion on Uncharted 4 sales and then it escalated to how it would be a game that defines the generation. Big words like those get me pumped. :p

Top Bottom