• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

jbluzb

The fact that Until Dawn got practically zero marketing probably ended up helping a little bit.

It had no major marketing investment yet still did sales close to that of the other heavily marketed game.

Until Dawn also got the 100k certification from germany so I guess sales are good ww in context to no marketing for the game

Lol, I asked nicely yesterday. I'm greatfull for what we do get/got already, however, Ltd numbers for:

- Disgaea 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Dragon Quest Hereos
- Omega Quintet
- Trails of Cold Steel

Would be great.

creamsugar posted some of these in October's thread. doubt they changed much

mo60

Btw, there Are still People who believe Splatoon will Sell less than Halo 5?

:p

The question with splatoon is will it have big legs like Mario Kart 8. That will determine if splatoon does outsell halo 5.I can see splatoon selling less than Mario Kart 8 did in it's second year.Lifetime LTD will be between 4.5 million and 5.5 million for splatoon. Halo 5 will most likely end up with an ltd >5 million.Both games will end up being close in ltd.

AniHawk

Those Tearaway numbers...
UnfortunateShallowHawaiianmonkseal.gif

Poor game couldn't catch a break either time.

sony platforms really aren't hospitable to family games. i don't expect much for ratchet, but it's getting a game based off the movie based off the game, so maybe that'll move the needle just due to exposure.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
The question with splatoon is will it have big legs like Mario Kart 8. That will determine if splatoon does outsell halo 5.I can see splatoon selling less than Mario Kart 8 did in it's second year.Lifetime LTD will be between 4.5 million and 5.5 million for splatoon. Halo 5 will most likely end up with an ltd >5 million.Both games will end up being close in ltd.

No way Splatoon Sell less than Mario Kart 8 Second year.
Ignore Launch, and since that Splatoon ALWAYS Sold better than Kart.
Before Welfare Say "is happen only The second quarter" don't worry is happen even last quarter, we easy know This Thanks Media Create, NPD, and Nintendo numbers.
Splatoon Sold Over 500k This quarter only in Japan.
Do You really believe it will ship less than 1.28m WW?

mo60

No way Splatoon Sell less than Mario Kart 8 Second year.
Ignore Launch, abd since that Splatoon ALWAYS Sold better than Kart.
Before Welfare Say "is happen only last quarter" don't worry is happen even last quarter, we easy know This Thanks Media Create, NPD, and Nintendo numbers.
MK8 Sold Over 500k This quarter only in Japan.
Do You really believe it will ship less than 1.28m WW?

I think it's going to sell between 800K-1.3million at least this year, but splatoon sold less in a similar time period last year than mario kart 8 including launch. Splatoon really is not doing better than mario kart 8 in the US and the UK and it only seems to be doing better than that game in Japan.Japan alone may make splatoon alone break 1.3 million, but I don't think it's LTD will increase much in the UK and the US.

Vena

Hey, we can always hope ya know, lol.

You may have missed it, but we do know D5s general ballpark from in-game tracking, ~70k (similar to how we ballparked XCX on the WiiU but actually a bit more accurate). It did pretty well.

There's probably not much to be said of the others, and their numbers probably aren't far from where they were last month. I don't tend to think of RPGs as the leggiest of games, and STEAM tends to also be a good barometer of legs (if WoM kicks into affect) and those titles haven't made much progress on SteamSpy either. (In fact, I don't think Zestiria has actually had relevant movement on SteamSpy in weeks.)

Cornbread78

I wanna know but than i dont! I just know finding out at least half of those will make me hate north Americas tastes

I have good taste, and I try to push my buddies too, but they are damn gun heads.

Really though, next year is huge for jrpg releases in NA/EU. Hopefully, players put their money where their mouths are and spend big to support them here.

Cornbread78

You may have missed it, but we do know D5s general ballpark from in-game tracking, ~70k (similar to how we ballparked XCX on the WiiU but actually a bit more accurate). It did pretty well.

There's probably not much to be said of the others, and their numbers probably aren't far from where they were last month. I don't tend to think of RPGs as the leggiest of games, and STEAM tends to also be a good barometer of legs (if WoM kicks into affect) and those titles haven't made much progress on SteamSpy either. (In fact, I don't think Zestiria has actually had relevant movement on SteamSpy in weeks.)

I wonder what their sales expectations are in PAL/NA and what the number is where they hit profit after localization/translation costs.

AniHawk

This approach works great for smaller publishers, but it doesn't really make sense for the needle-moving-focus of the multinationals. It's true that making 10 smaller games that each need to sell 200,000 to be profitable could result in a positive return on invested capital, but if you're EA, your fixed costs and your capital and opportunity costs are so high that you have to aim for the blockbuster every time or it just isn't worth it. EA can't afford to stay the size it is and make small games. They'd have to dramatically restructure. This is realistically something that Nintendo just went through (rising costs, falling productivity, falling revenues and EBITDA) and they too opted to stay the size they were. Nintendo's obviously not in the same spot EA is, but it's a similar idea.

I wanted to respond to some other comment I read earlier in the thread. I think someone said Fallout 4 is the ugliest AAA game this year that has sold the best, so maybe people aren't worried so much about graphics so we should make cheaper games. It's true that Fallout is ugly, but I can't imagine this game is cheap to make. It was in development for a really long time, and I have to imagine these large open world games are very costly to develop.

AAA fever has basically killed off a style of games that I loved (8-10 hour games with no multiplayer) because publishers are chasing a no-used-game dragon. I totally think single player games have suffered because of bloat the last 5 years.

i wouldn't expect every title to bring in 200k in sales, but that at least one new idea could form into a new megafranchise. ea is, in particular, the worst at taking risks recently in the dedicated space. they're spreading dice super thin and ignoring ea sports, are mining series from 2007-2009 for new projects. ubisoft and activision seem a little more inclined to this line of thinking, ubisoft most especially, although there hasn't been a lot to show for it this generation.

looking at first parties, i think sony is the one that at least tries the shotgun approach. they allowed tearaway to happen, and even though their audience isn't suited for it, i'm glad they really believed in it and gave it a shot on two platforms. it's a mixed bag, and sometimes you get something like jak ii or 1886, but sometimes you get something like the last of us or journey. from them, i think the next step would be taking the indie and digital projects they support and turning them into retail games.

i think nintendo does this too, but only internally. every once in a long while you'll see something like brain age or box boy show up, and it feels like it was a mistake that it was shown to the public. nintendo of america could also stand to be a lot more transparent with fans and take a page out of scea's book. for example, they could see to it that capcom's ace attorney games actually hit retail shelves, probably by doing design work for them, paying esrb fees, and basically taking everything but the platform charge out of it.

microsoft seems like they're in the process of rebuilding, but i don't really have a feel for what they're doing in general other than trying to establish new software teams for halo and gears of war, while bringing rare back to its former glory. just because of their position in the market, they seem less inclined to tend to smaller projects.

H ~ 1699
FM ~ 451
GOWU ~ 371
ROTTR ~ 345
RR ~ 239
SOD ~ 81

BB ~ 754
MLB ~ 626
1886 ~ 357
UD ~ 330
U ~ 259
GOW3R ~ 162
TU ~ 24

I've been dying for Until Dawn numbers so thanks a lot Cream.
Seems relatively good for a game with nearly zero SCEA marketing support.
Hope the legs are good going forward

Also it's crazy how people sleep on MLB as a sales force.
As a yearly exclusive franchise it must have a large audience and make a nice chunk of recurring change for Sony.

mo60

It's honestly pretty crazy that this is even a possibility. No one would have ever predicted it a year ago.

It's not shocking when you recognize that the only gen a halo game was able to beat all of nintendo's ip's was in the 6th gen.Multiple nintendo ip's were stronger than the halo franchise last gen. halo does have the install base advantage compared to all nintendo's wiiu exclusive games this gen, but it does have a lot more competition in it's own genre than MarioKart8 and Splatoon and halo 5 did not have as much hype as splatoon and Mario Kart 8.

Compare to other sport games not so much.

Of course compared to the FIFA's and Madden's of the world it's not massive in any way.
I just mean as the only annual baseball fix for fans, it maybe doesn't have a very high budget from San Diego studio and makes decent money.

For an exclusive, seems like it does alright in a sport that's not as widely popular as others.

wapplew

Of course compared to the FIFA's and Madden's of the world it's not massive in any way.
I just mean as the only annual baseball fix for fans, it maybe doesn't have a very high budget from San Diego studio and makes decent money.

For an exclusive, seems like it does alright in a sport that's not as widely popular as others.

If we count Motorsport as sport, MLB sold better then FM6 so it's a great result.
Where is my annual Tennis fix?

nib95

Banned
H ~ 1699
FM ~ 451
GOWU ~ 371
ROTTR ~ 345
RR ~ 239
SOD ~ 81

BB ~ 754
MLB ~ 626
1886 ~ 357
UD ~ 330
U ~ 259
GOW3R ~ 162
TU ~ 24

Damn, Tearaway tanked. Bloodborne and MLB did surprisingly well. Guessing most of Gears and Uncharted Collection sales would have been bundles that aren't counted.

sony platforms really aren't hospitable to family games. i don't expect much for ratchet, but it's getting a game based off the movie based off the game, so maybe that'll move the needle just due to exposure.

Really? Little Big Planet did really well on the PS3, it's just the franchise has seen a pretty big decline recently. I do agree about R&C though, that game is being sandwiched between some very big fish, and will likely get eaten alive.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Might wanna look up how much Ratchet games usually sell before saying that

Raylan

Banned
I'm happy to see the good Until Dawn sales numbers. A smaller-ish game from a small team and only a small marketing campaign, but still good numbers. Congrats Supermassive. GOTY 2015 for me.

It's not shocking when you recognize that the only gen a halo game was able to beat all of nintendo's ip's was in the 6th gen.Multiple nintendo ip's were stronger than the halo franchise last gen. halo does have the install base advantage compared to all nintendo's wiiu exclusive games this gen, but it does have a lot more competition in it's own genre than MarioKart8 and Splatoon and halo 5 did not have as much hype as splatoon and Mario Kart 8.

It's crazy because Splatoon is a Nintendo shooter with a heavy online focus. No one thought it was going to be this big. I'm dying to see what they do with Spla2n.

N.Domixis

Banned
Kid games do terrible because sony never markets and treats them properly. LBP was big at first because it had the hype and marketing by sony. Thats why it as successful. Than they fuck it all up by giving it to no name studio with LBP3. Crash was the same then they let it go instead of buying the IP. With proper marketing RnC would sell, but sony and insomniac tainted the brand with all those low quality spin-offs. Tearaway wasnt even marketed so thats its problem. Cant talk about any of their other first party platformers. Crash,LBP, and RnC are the only ones I bought and payed attention to.

AniHawk

Really? Little Big Planet did really well on the PS3, it's just the franchise has seen a pretty big decline recently. I do agree about R&C though, that game is being sandwiched between some very big fish, and will likely get eaten alive.

lbp3 didn't do nearly what lbp2 did, and lbp2 was a sorta-respectable decline from the first game. the vita and psp games bombed though. littlebigplanet is unfortunately sony's best-performing family-friendly franchise from the last decade, so it's not a good sign when the trajectory is what it is.

I'm officially retiring this graph, as the year comes to a close. Year Three complete. This started out as a WiiU vs. past Nintendo consoles but as the WiiU fades it's better to focus on the big guns in the console war from now on. So going forward I'd like to focus on Year Three [again heh] instead of going on to Year Four.
5zjlHHT.png

Lining up that SW takes forever/ I'm done with it.

I'll miss this graph. Thanks for doing it.

So WiiU only beat the GameCube once ever? Wow.

AniHawk

Kid games do terrible because sony never markets and treats them properly. LBP was big at first because it had the hype and marketing by sony. Thats why it as successful. Than they fuck it all up by giving it to no name studio with LBP3. Crash was the same then they let it go instead of buying the IP. With proper marketing RnC would sell, but sony and insomniac tainted the brand with all those low quality spin-offs.

this is my feeling as well. i think the ratchet & clank franchise could have survived with a collection game and the vita titles, and the psn game too (since it was connected to tod and acit), but full-frontal assault, all 4 one, and into the nexus hurt the series.

tearaway should have been the heavily marketed vita launch title (and made for launch), not unit 13. remember unit 13? it was advertised as the game where your friends and strangers were out to kill you?

I have sometimes read that how come Bloodborne sales were over 2 million units worldwide, well, now we have more concrete data.

We know that it has sold 754,000 units in the US market, let's add what it has sold in Canada and we have that the total in North America has to be around the million mark including digital.

In Asia Bloodborne was awarded with the Gold Prize which means that shipments (including digital) were over 500,000 units.

Finally, European Bloodborne sales were at 406,000 units by the end of June, let's add the additional units sold during the following 6 months + digital sales and the total will increase notably.

With these 3 regions Bloodborne LTD is already well over the 2 million mark.

Hopefully this lays rest to the weird idea that console games do not have legs. Even rpgs who are expected to be front loaded have a LTD thats double of their initial monthly release.

Lol, I asked nicely yesterday. I'm greatfull for what we do get/got already, however, Ltd numbers for:

- Disgaea 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Dragon Quest Hereos
- Omega Quintet
- Trails of Cold Steel

Would be great.

I'm with you ;___;

sony co-markets battlefront/cod sells less than xbox.

microsoft co-markets fallout 4 sells less than ps4...

Bundles, as previously outlined are not included.

Also when Microsoft or Sony (more so the latter) make these deals, they're not only thinking of US NPD.
These are global marketing deals for worldwide mind share with specific titles.

geordiemp

Ratchet is a shooter / platformer full 3D cross game, it will do fine and is a totally different genre to Tearaway which is a platformer / drawing / sketching deal...or appears to be.

Crack in time was one of my favourite games, and I mainly play full camera control 3D shooters.

nib95

Banned
It will be interesting to see if Uncharted 4 can maintain the sort of success that UC3/LoU enjoyed, or whether that franchise too will see a decline. Things certainly have't been pretty for games like Gran Turismo, Halo, Tomb Raider, Little Big Planet, even Forza. Then again, unless I'm mistaken, games like Shadowfall and InFamous Second Son actually saw notable franchise growth in terms of sales.

It will be interesting to see if Uncharted 4 can maintain the sort of success that UC3/LoU enjoyed, or whether that franchise too will see a decline. Things certainly have't been pretty for games like Gran Turismo, Halo, Tomb Raider, Little Big Planet, even Forza.
At least hype is through the roof and we haven't seen any negative articles from press, it's all praise praise.

AniHawk

Ratchet is a shooter / platformer full 3D cross game, it will do fine and is a totally different genre to Tearaway which is a platformer / drawing / sketching deal...or appears to be.

Crack in time was one of my favourite games, and I mainly play full camera control 3D shooters.

i love the ratchet games (especially going commando and a crack in time), but i haven't seen much that shows there's a userbase out there on ps4 willing to buy colorful family-friendly titles, which this new one is aiming to be.

Top Bottom