• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

Nameless

So despite the 'greatest line-up in Xbox history' Minecraft games and multiplat shooters are what popped--hell of a statement by Xbox users. I think MS would have done well to spread out their releases throughout the year instead of hoarding for the playoffs.

Richie

How exactly is NX going to make a dent when the market has shown all it buys is the usual multiplats?

I want to believe Nintendo sales can't get worse than the Wii U's. Just having a positive PR from them this year's December would be cause for relief.

Hmm I wonder if XB1 will be ahead for the full year with bundled sales for FO4. Should be interesting to see how well the marketing worked for them.

Last month I think XB1 nudged ahead by about 10k units on Fallout 4 when it included bundles. I wonder if there enough Fallout 4 bundles out there being sold to do the same this month.

Hats off to Mortal Kombat X making the top 10 for the year. Great for MK, beating The Witcher, Batman, Assassins Creed, and Metal Gear.

And people calling out Halo not hitting the top 10 in December?

9 out of the top 10 best sellers in December were also in the top 10 selling games of the year.

EA Sports franchises x2, Minecraft x2, COD x2, Star Wars, GTA, and Fallout. And most of them were cross gen. All of them on multiple platforms.

Very little can compete with those, let's be honest.

With Halo being huge in the US and huge for Xbox, I can see it being the best selling exclusive title in in 2015. No data to back it up, other than it was in the UK.

Only other thing to compete would probably be Bloodbourne.

YUlx1s2.png

It's worldwide, right?

ps3ud0

I'm really curious how big the next Red Dead is going to be. Obviously it won't be GTAV level sales but its got to be pretty giant for them. Rockstar is just a destroyer of sales
We should think of RDR Online and the ability to rob stagecoaches with friends. Man I need a cryochamber...

ps3ud0 8)

RedAssedApe

Banned
So despite the 'greatest line-up in Xbox history' Minecraft and multiplat shooters are what popped--hell of a statement by Xbox users. I think MS would have done well to spread out their releases throughout the year instead of hoarding for the playoffs.

how often do exclusives show up on best selling game of the year charts?

killroy87

Everyone is certain Battlefront sold more on PS4 if you include bundles, but what about FO4 on Xbox? They had some pretty attractive bundles too, and I don't think PS4 had any. Are we making a similar assumption?

Cosmic said it was top 30 so I doubt it.

"top 30" probably applied to Xenoblade Chronicles X, I really don't know why everyone tunneled onto Tomb Raider

How do you know this?

that was before it was clarified the initial order was wrong, under that assumption Xbox One winning in November with bundles+selling more standalone in December=gg

of course that's not the case so who knows now

AP90

Hats off to Mortal Kombat X making the top 10 for the year. Great for MK, beating The Witcher, Batman, Assassins Creed, and Metal Gear.

9 out of the top 10 best sellers in December were also in the top 10 selling games of the year.

EA Sports franchises x2, Minecraft x2, COD x2, Star Wars, GTA, and Fallout. And most of them were cross gen. All of them on multiple platforms.

With Halo being huge in the US and huge for Xbox, I can see it being the best selling exclusive title in in 2015. No data to back it up, other than it was in the UK.

YUlx1s2.png

Wow. WWE beat out destiny? Maybe it had more of a story =P.

Fat4all

Banned
So despite the 'greatest line-up in Xbox history' Minecraft games and multiplat shooters are what popped--hell of a statement by Xbox users. I think MS would have done well to spread out their releases throughout the year instead of hoarding for the playoffs.

They might not get the most sales, but exclusives are very important for filling out and giving a lot of variety to a library. MS should keep on funding/building exclusives, it's better for the Xbone as a whole.

Its really damn smart of Capcom to make a stronger single player campaign for SFV. Believe it or not the strong single player component is a huge part of why Mortal Kombat is selling so well to the larger market

Raist

Banned
Would be interesting to know GTA V's place, and how far away it is from whatever game is directly above it.

I can only guess Tetris, Minecraft and Wii Sports being above it.
But considering how many platforms and/or being essentially bundled systematically these games were, that's quite the achievement.

oh, your original statement was third party multiplats don't sell. I guess you meant on nintendo hardware right? Then yeah, people say that. Yeah, they definitely need these games. Will they get them? I doubt it...

Yeah, it was sarcasm. Since the list in the OP is entirely third-party multiplats.

I have my fingers crossed Nintendo can get at least some third-parties on board since it definitely doesn't hurt their image to have them but honestly who knows at this point. Everything's up in the air.

jayu26

I'm always surprised by how well Minecraft does on Xbox, almost makes me think that if MS can just keep in the console business for another decade, they might be able to beat Sony with nostalgia alone once all those kids playing today are old enough to buy their own systems.

Also really need to know the RotTR number, because unless it sold an insanely higher number in December than it did November, knowing how it sold in the rest of the world, there's no way it's sold through a million copies.
Nostalgia sure ain't helping Wii U.

So, some people thought Rainbow 6 was gonna flop? It actually did fine, better than expected actually. It's also the #1 game on Youtube Gaming from last month.

Kolx

YUlx1s2.png

Is it that I'm blind or there is no Bloodborne in this list?

AP90

Really wish we knew the digital sales for RotTR, Halo 5, Fallout 4 & UC4 to get a feel for hyped up games.

Top Bottom