• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm glad for Rainbow 6 Siege. I think I'll get it now, seeing as how the multiplayer will be healthier than I presumed.

Fat4all

Banned
How well Halo 4 sold is likely at least responsible for how poorly Halo 5 sold. Put a ton of people off the series.

I wouldn't say so much it "put them off" as much as it didn't keep their attention with its online suite.

Halo 5 is trying much harder to keep its online community going, so it might have better legs than 4 in the long run (when it comes to online players).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm glad for Rainbow 6 Siege. I think I'll get it now, seeing as how the multiplayer will be healthier than I presumed.

The one problem with R6: Siege is that it's simply too good.

Also, occasional server issues but still, too good.

Chris1

How well Halo 4 sold is likely at least responsible for how poorly Halo 5 sold. Put a ton of people off the series.

MCC hurt Halo 5 far more than Halo 4 did imo, Halo 4 didn't help but I think the biggest reason halo 5 didn't do well was the fact that MCC was broken for about 5 months straight.

Broken games hurt franchises,we've seen that with Syndicate this year and we're seeing the same thing with 5.

Ridley327

I feel like it got to 1 million faster than MK8 in the US. Maybe.

I couldn't tell you one way or the other. The Wii U situation obviously sucks out loud, but given those circumstances, SMM has done quite well for itself over here.

That being said, that's also not the Wii U title number that people want to see for December.

bombshell

Everyone is certain Battlefront sold more on PS4 if you include bundles, but what about FO4 on Xbox? They had some pretty attractive bundles too, and I don't think PS4 had any. Are we making a similar assumption?

The Battlefront bundle was the main PS4 bundle in December, so that's given PS4>XB1.

Fallout 4 could go both ways when including the Xbox One bundle.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, while third parties have always been strong, complete third party domination is something that really arose near the end of last generation and into this one.

Your eyes are fine.

These kinds of top 10, with all SKUs combined also doesn't help exclusive games to emerge, since they're just on one platform compared to the two at least for other releases.

Yeah, while third parties have always been strong, complete third party domination is something that really arose near the end of last generation and into this one.

Yeah 3rd parties are the absolute driving force of this industry at this point. Total domination. If Nintendo want the NX to have a hope of success they need to be courting 3rd parties like crazy and basically doing anything they can to rebuild confidence and strengthen relationships

RexNovis

Banned
that was before it was clarified the initial order was wrong, under that assumption Xbox One winning in November with bundles+selling more standalone in December=gg

of course that's not the case so who knows now

Oh ok I must've misread the comment. Cheers!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
These kinds of top 10, with all SKUs combined also doesn't help exclusive games to emerge, since they're just on one platform compared to the two at least for other releases.

Sure, but when we first combined the SKUs, they were still charting. Halo 4 there, as mentioned, was #3 in a combined SKU chart. NSMB2 is in that chart as well at #9.

After Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed though, the other third parties went all in on making mega hits as well, and eventually crowded them out.

killroy87

MCC hurt Halo 5 far more than Halo 4 did imo, Halo 4 didn't help but I think the biggest reason halo 5 didn't do well was the fact that MCC was broken for about 5 months straight.

Broken games hurt franchises,we've seen that with Syndicate this year and we're seeing the same thing with 5.

Even Halo 4 had downward sales compared to past Halo games. Between that and MCC, the franchise is definitely in the "valley" part of its peaks and valleys. It still sold well I'm sure, but if the movie Saw was big, and Saw 2 and 3 were massive, this kind of feels more like Saw 5. We're getting to the point of "okay, it might be time to stop".

Ōkami

147% of PS3 from November 2006 to December 2008 + 360 from November 2005 to December 2007 ~23.4m

That minus LTD of PS4 + XB1 by the end of November ~2.8m

104% of WIU+PS4+XB1 on December 2014 ~3m

Very quick and rough math

etta

my hard graphic balls
The one problem with R6: Siege is that it's simply too good.

Also, occasional server issues but still, too good.
Terrorist Hunt at 30 fps for PS4 is putting me off, though. And I don't want to get it on PC because the player base is tiny there.

watdaeff4

To be fair he didn't explain which game he was referring with his Top 30 comment.

There was ROTR, Xenoblade and Splatoon on the same sentence

He probably meant all 3

Just means they all charted 11-30.

But one particular "group" is latching onto 30.

FWIW I don't think it sold all that well just is sad how some people want it to fail

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Hats off to Mortal Kombat X making the top 10 for the year. Great for MK, beating The Witcher, Batman, Assassins Creed, and Metal Gear.

And people calling out Halo not hitting the top 10 in December?

9 out of the top 10 best sellers in December were also in the top 10 selling games of the year.

EA Sports franchises x2, Minecraft x2, COD x2, Star Wars, GTA, and Fallout. And most of them were cross gen. All of them on multiple platforms.

Very little can compete with those, let's be honest.

With Halo being huge in the US and huge for Xbox, I can see it being the best selling exclusive title in in 2015. No data to back it up, other than it was in the UK.

Only other thing to compete would probably be Bloodbourne.

YUlx1s2.png

Why would you even think about Bloodborne when that doesn't show up in the top 50 of game sales in the UK?

Terrorist Hunt at 30 fps for PS4 is putting me off, though. And I don't want to get it on PC because the player base is tiny there.

Oh yea, ugh. I don't play terrorist hunt, the FPS is awful but more importantly, they have some settings messed up which make it not even as smooth looking as other 30 FPS games (much more jarring when I do terrorist hunt on Siege as opposed to switching to Destiny). I just stick with MP.

Raist

Banned
Is it that I'm blind or there is no Bloodborne in this list?

Seriously why do people expect Bloodborne to be a massive seller?
Dark Souls II was #57 in the UK in 2014, and it was released on 3 platforms with a huge total install base compared to the PS4.

Nyoro SF

Reposting this.

360+PS3+Wii did 510k December 2014. Combined they did 148k this December.

PS4+XB1+WIU did 2949k December 2014. They did 3067k this December.

Waiting for pies.

Portables are sliding out of view. What will happen next? Really, this year is very decisive for Nintendo and this section of the industry.

Did Smash 4 do it in two? I know that pulled off the unprecedented feat of charting back to back once both versions were out, so it definitely pushed a lot of units.

Smash 4 definitely did it in 2 months, yeah

so it's Super Smash Bros. Wii U>Mario Kart 8>Super Mario Maker for fastest to get to 1 million in the US

I agree with sentiment of others too.

Really pleased to see R6 charting. OK, it released in December which helped, but still.

I liked the beta and my concern was the community. Seems like I may dip in soon.

RexNovis

Banned
You know looking at the yearly top 10 and not seeing Battlefield Hardline I feel like my tag has been vindicated. The game sold horribly for a Battlefield title.

Top Bottom