• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Threi said:
Lastly if I make this so called team look bad, then you probably should pull this guy in a corner and give him a stern talking to. Because if I shared your mentality of failing to acknowledge everyone as an individual and not part of some sort of faction I would probably draw the conclusion that your "team" is composed of idiots so hopelessly devoted to their console of choice that they feel that their looping composite avatars of console exclusive games will one day earn them recognition from a multi-million dollar company as being one of the proud soldiers that "fought the good fight".

HAHA awesome

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Threi said:
First of all my friend I was not banned for sarcasm. It was a stupid reason I admit but it has nothing to do with this guerrilla warfare mentality you seem to be so committed to. Secondly, most of the posts from me are entirely tongue-in-cheek, so if they come off as petulant and whiny, that is really no big deal. It is probably better to pretend to be petulant and whiny than to actually be such. Putting thought into forum posts is overrated anyways.

Lastly if I make this so called team look bad, then you probably should pull this guy in a corner and give him a stern talking to. Because if I shared your mentality of failing to acknowledge everyone as an individual and not part of some sort of faction I would probably draw the conclusion that your "team" is composed of idiots so hopelessly devoted to their console of choice that they feel that their looping composite avatars of console exclusive games will one day earn them recognition from a multi-million dollar company as being one of the proud soldiers that "fought the good fight".

Welcome back, threi. : D

Cipherr

Threi said:
First of all my friend I was not banned for sarcasm. It was a stupid reason I admit but it has nothing to do with this guerrilla warfare mentality you seem to be so committed to. Secondly, most of the posts from me are entirely tongue-in-cheek, so if they come off as petulant and whiny, that is really no big deal. It is probably better to pretend to be petulant and whiny than to actually be such. Putting thought into forum posts is overrated anyways.

/slowclap

Alcibiades

don't know if this information is previously known from elsewhere but here it is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/technology/30game.html?hpw

Reggie Fils-Aime, chief marketing officer for Nintendo of America, said publishers of games for its Wii console needed to sell one million units of a game to turn a profit. He said that was a lower threshold than for the other consoles. Only 16 out of 486 games for Nintendo Wii game machines have sold more than one million units as of March 1, according to NPD, which tracks the sales of consumer products. (Nine of the best sellers are made by Nintendo.)

now, Reggie might be talking world-wide while NYT is talking US-only numbers, but that's still quite a low number at this point... considering the amount of dreck out there it's nice that 9 of those million-sellers come from the only company putting real resources behind Wii games...

legend166

Those are definitely US numbers only, since the source is NPD.

What are the 7 3rd party million sellers?

Carnival Games
Resident Evil 4
Mario and Sonic
Red Steel?

I'm drawing a complete blank here.

Edit: Wait, Reggie said that's what they had to sell to make a profit? What the hell? Why would he say that? That's Wanat math. Even if publishers only get $15 per copy (which I doubt), that would mean $15 million in revenue at 1 million sold. There must have been some crazy miquoting going on here, or Reggie is an idiot.

Alcibiades

legend166 said:
Those are definitely US numbers only, since the source is NPD.

What are the 7 3rd party million sellers?

Carnival Games
Resident Evil 4
Mario and Sonic
Red Steel?

I'm drawing a complete blank here.
here are some "obvious" ones:

World Tour
Rock Band
Guitar Hero 3
Mario & Sonic

I don't think Red Steel and RE4 have quite reached that...

also I'm guessing Lego Star Wars is there...

pakkit

Banned
Guitar Hero 3
Rayman: Raving Rabbids
Rock Band?

Just read that article, some misinformation in there, such as the claim that all downloadable games on the Wii/Xbox360/PS3 cost $10. :lol :lol

Alcibiades

legend166 said:
Edit: Wait, Reggie said that's what they had to sell to make a profit? What the hell? Why would he say that? That's Wanat math. Even if publishers only get $15 per copy (which I doubt), that would mean $15 million in revenue at 1 million sold. There must have been some crazy miquoting going on here, or Reggie is an idiot.
well, if you are talking worldwide 1 million isn't really far-reaching... and for a "medium-sized" efforts may not be that off...

pakkit said:
Guitar Hero 3
Rayman: Raving Rabbids
Rock Band?

Just read that article, some misinformation in there, such as the claim that all downloadable games on the Wii/Xbox360/PS3 cost $10. :lol :lol

Yeah, I'd imagine that they just put the quote out of context, and he was actually only talking about more significant efforts, not any and all Wii titles, and then compounded the error by comparing his statement that referred to worldwide sales to just the US NPD numbers. Obviously lower budget games don't need to sell a million worldwide.

publishers of games for its Wii console needed to sell one million units of a game to turn a profit.

I find that pretty hard to believe. Perhaps Nintendo have to sell a million to turn a profit, given that they are the ones putting the most time and effort into their games, but there is no way that this is the case for every game out there.

cruisn.jpg

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I wonder what the real context of Reggie's statement was.

As for those 7 games, my guesses would be:

Guitar Hero 3 and WT
Rock Band
Tiger Woods 09
My Sims
Lego Star Wars
Mario & Sonic
Rayman RR 1 & 2
Game Party
Carnival Games
Resident Evil 4

Obviously not all of them.

markatisu

GH3 is past 3m
Mario and Sonic is somewhere between 1-2m
GHWT is at 1.7m
Carnival Games is somewhere between 1-2m
Rock Band just crossed 1m
Lego Star Wars is past 1m (it was in the 700k range back in early 2008)
Game Party just crossed 1m (according to Midway)

There are a few others I think beating at the door as well (in the 600-900k range)

Rayman Raving Rabbids 1 (launch title according to old IGN reports ~700k)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 (between 700-900k)
High School Musical: Sing It (between 700-900k based on NPD)
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (~850k)
MySims (700-800k)
Madden NFL 08 (in the 800's according to IGN)
Shaun White Snowboarding (in the upper 600's based on NPD)
CoD WaW Wii (in the upper 600's based on NPD for three months)
Star Wars Force Unleashed (~700k if those leaked numbers are true)

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
markatisu said:
GH3 is past 3m
Mario and Sonic is somewhere between 1-2m
GHWT is at 1.7m
Carnival Games is somewhere between 1-2m
Rock Band just crossed 1m
Lego Star Wars is past 1m (it was in the 700k range back in early 2008)
Game Party just crossed 1m (according to Midway)
That would be 7... unless the NYTimes made a mistake.

...Like that could ever happen...

legend166

Oh yeah I'm dumb, forgot about the music games.

I cannot believe a single 3rd party Wii game cost over 15 million dollars to make. Not for a second.

markatisu

legend166 said:
I cannot believe a single 3rd party Wii game cost over 15 million dollars to make. Not for a second.

Carnival Games and Lego Star Wars sure as hell did not cost $15m to make. Especially since Lego Stars Wars development was most likely split between the PS2 and PSP versions (since it is basically a port with added motion controls)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Zachack said:
Threi woudn't have been banned if he was actually clever with the sarcasm, rather than coming across as petulant and whiny. I know you think he's on your "team" but you guys should really try to cull the chaff from your ranks.
Wait, what? I didn't notice this reply because you quoted me without adding my nickname, but I think this stuff is whoareyoutalkingto.gif-worthy. Team? Ranks? Really?

Alcibiades

Game Party and Carnival Games were lucky to get in early and get shelf space and continued re-orders from retailers because it doesn't look like their followups are anywhere near as successful (and likewise other minigame stuff from 3rd parties isn't exactly taking off).

Even with their success though, Take-Two and Midway faced financial trouble so it seems like even the most successful of these "shovelware" games aren't going to bail anyone out.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Threi said:

nvefrm.gif

Rolf NB

Very hard to believe. A million copies is how much revenue for a publisher 15, 20 million dollars? That sounds like quite a luxurious budget for a Wii game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Threi said:

holy shit :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Guitar Hero 3
Guitar Hero World Tour
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games
Carnival Games
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Game Party

... annnd...

Rock Band.

Ta-da!

kswiston

bcn-ron said:
Very hard to believe. A million copies is how much revenue for a publisher 15, 20 million dollars? That sounds like quite a luxurious budget for a Wii game.

I can see big effort Wii Games like Mario Galaxy costing 15-20M to make. Not so much for something like Elebits.

AniHawk

Stumpokapow said:
Guitar Hero 3
Guitar Hero World Tour
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games
Carnival Games
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Game Party

... annnd...

Rock Band.

Ta-da!

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AniHawk said:
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

I'm 100% certain all of those are over a million, and if that "7" number is accurate then LSW:TCS must not be... unless the SKU combining is a little screwed up, in which case Rock Band would probably be knocked off... or if botticus is right and they're miscounting Mario and Sonic.

LSW TCS is definitely the next most likely candidate.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Threi said:

I couldn't be more in love with you than I am now. Welcome back Threi.

Chinner

Banned
Threi said:

oh man

Threi said:

Back off, uh... *looks at profile* Wiitard/Xbot!!!

gkryhewy

Threi said:

Damn, flawless victory. Should read "multi-billion" though.

Turrican3

Alcibiades said:
don't know if this information is previously known from elsewhere but here it is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/technology/30game.html?hpw

"Reggie Fils-Aime, chief marketing officer for Nintendo of America, said publishers of games for its Wii console needed to sell one million units of a game to turn a profit."
1 million?! On the Wii?!

Seems quite unlikely to me. The article isn't even providing a link to Reggie's statement.

In the past years there was a famous quote by Namco, where they said they needed 500k copies to break even, on the PS3.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155564

How could a Wii title possibly require double that sales to turn a profit? Hard to believe if we're talking about poor ports (Dead Rising anyone?) or things like that, IMHO.

Chumly

Reggie Fils-Aime, chief marketing officer for Nintendo of America, said publishers of games for its Wii console needed to sell one million units of a game to turn a profit.
WAT

Obvious Misquote
He said that was a lower threshold than for the other consoles.
Again WAT

While obviously the Wii has a lower threshold the whole notion that Wii games need to sell 1 million units and the 360/PS3 are going to have to sell 1-2 Million units to break even is laughable.

Chumly said:
WAT

Obvious Misquote

Again WAT

While obviously the Wii has a lower threshold the whole notion that Wii games need to sell 1 million units and the 360/PS3 are going to have to sell 1-2 Million units to break even is laughable.
2 million is the new 500k.

Vinci

Danish
Getting Reggie drunk prior to the interview isn't fair, lads. Just letting you know. It's against some sort of convention or something.

donny2112 said:
Is this New York times article by the same guy who previously was using VGC for data?

No, that was a freelancer NYT has never hired since. This one is by a tech staff writer.

If you see the whole article the point is supposed to be that it's very difficult to make money with console games, as compared to web or mobile games. It seems to me the author heard what he wanted to hear to fit his preconceived story. The fact that he got Reggie's title wrong proves that he and the fact checkers weren't being very careful.

Zachack

Threi said:

I wish everyone would post like this.

Luckyman

Banned
Chumly said:

It was possible to make a PS2 game that needed to sell more than 1M.

1M-2M to make profit on 360/PS3 is certainly possible on some games.

Top Bottom