• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Narcosis

Some people are asking where SO4 is. Did anyone really expect a non-FF JRPG to chart in the top 10 of the nPDs against the likes of WiiFit and Call of Duty?

Stoney Mason said:
It's 4 months in a row now it's been down year on year although this month the PS3 numbers were very close to last year unlike the last three which weren't close at all.

People waiting on that price drop certainly. Even if they don't know one is coming.

Balb

cvxfreak said:
March will also be huge thanks to Pokemon Platinum. I think that one will surprise everyone the most. I think it may even surpass the 360 version of RE5.

People get surprised over high Pokemon sales? This thing should sell at least 1.5 million for the March NPDs.

Stoney Mason said:
It's 4 months in a row now although this month the numbers were very close to last year unlike the last three which weren't close at all.

$400 machine in a recession like the current one? They need to shave $50/$100 if they want to move units. Since they are aiming for profitability, however, there's no chance in hell it drops $100.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Frillen said:
and it's getting outsold by a console RTS?

What makes you so sure? MS announced today, March 19, that Halo Wars passed 1m sold. You think it's impossible KZ2 passed 1m before today?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Grecco said:
the fact that its a "360 effort" has nothing to do with it.

IU and Last Remnant sold like shit (massive price drops within the first week of release ) - SO is a pretty popular IP in the US and it also got a relative big marketing push with tv commercial .....

I guess from now on there won't be any 360 exklusive SE RPG this gen anymore - it just doesn't make sense buisness wise

Chinner

Banned
i like how the reasoning of sales is changing now. instead of saying "x360 version outsold ps3" its now "ps3 version has higher attach rate!" shit, does one thing have to be better than the other? personally i think its p awesome that sf iv has done well (i hate fighting games but i loove capcom).

joey_z

Banned
EazyB said:
Great numbers overall:
360 has beastly HW numbers
PS3 is hanging in there
SF4 sold a lot more than I was expecting for a fighter

I was expecting better sales for KZ2 though. What were all the other PS3 owners playing that they didn't have time to pick it up at launch and especially with the demo thought to be pre-order only I was expecting a big launch. I really don't expect the game to sell more copies next month but I hope to be proven wrong.

Killzone 2 definitely deserves increased sales, but that would make Sony's marketing team think their doing something right. Their business practices are a joke this generation.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MWS Natural said:
SavethePS3.jpg

Yet to play
Yet to play
10/10
7/10
10/10
Yet to play
9/10
Shit
10/10

I'll take the games

mj1108

clashfan said:
I can't believe the high console sales. Don't people know we are in an economic downturn?

Yes they do and that's why they're buying them. They're long-lasting forms of entertainment.

speculawyer said:
:lol

Well, the PS3 certainly has lots of great games now (excluding Lair from that list), but if anything will save it now, it is Blu-Ray. And even that is a long shot.
That's doubtful since there are already cheaper and decent standalone players in the market right now. It is a shame about the PS3, though. The system is built like a tank and has a good amount of exclusives.

Nolan.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm really at a loss as to what the fuck Sony fans wee expecting from Killzone. I think 323K is pretty damn good considering.

I wonder what the budget truly is for the game. I mean I remember all the numbers and figures and hype thrown around in the beggining of what was know about the project. For a game thats suppose to be going toe to toe with halo (not the rts) it doesn't seem that impressive at all to me and I bet it will disappear out of the top 10 come next month.

Magik

Great numbers for the Wii and 360. PS3... decent. =\

Would it be possible to get a breakdown of software sales grouped by system? The top 10 overall isn't really that interesting. :lol

GhaleonEB

My predictions:
Code:
System	Me	Actual	Delta
NDS	610	588	22
PSP	175	199	24
PS3	243	276	33
PS2	92	131	39
WII	812	753	59
360	317	391	74
I underestimated the Playstation Family(TM) a bit across the board. The one that I missed the most is the 360. I thought hitting 300k would be pushing it, much less getting close to 400k. That's a VERY good sign for the year ahead. Nintendo is doing as they've done - still crazy. I've *almost* gotten used to those kinds of numbers.

Interesting month. Next month will be even more so, but now I'm really curious. It's shaping up to be wild year.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Balb said:
People get surprised over high Pokemon sales? This thing should sell at least 1.5 million for the March NPDs.
I believe cvxfreak was being facetious.

pakkit

Banned
jett said:
These continued, insane Wii sales are seriously disgusting. Are all the nongamers just buying it for WiiFit?
If you play games on a videogame console, you become a gamer. Also, WiiFit's sales ~7 mil., Wii's sales ~18 mill, so no. But it's okay, your disgust is kind of humorous.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Holy shit @ 360 sales!! PS3 decreases yet again YoY. This trend doesn't seem to want to stop, regardless of the software out there.

Holy shit @ SF4 on the PS3! That's incredible.

rexor0717

I think people are overacting to the lack of PS3 sales being boosted by KZ2. Sony barely advertised the game before its release, so who is going to know about it. Its a mistake on their part. I've been seeing commercials recently, so lets wait for March.
I'm not saying the PS3 will steamroll people, but I think there will be some pick up in sales over last year at the very least.

AniHawk

The 360's starting to post numbers the PS2 used to back in its prime. If things hold up and the generation lasts another couple of years, it should do 30m-35m NA alone.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Nolan. said:
I wonder what the budget truly is for the game. I mean I remember all the numbers and figures and hype thrown around in the beggining of what was know about the project. For a game thats suppose to be going toe to toe with halo (not the rts) it doesn't seem that impressive at all to me and I bet it will disappear out of the top 10 come next month.

It won't disappear. It easily surpasses Halo as a showcase title, but you wouldn't know it given Sony's horrible advertising practices.

It's doing about as good as Sony is allowing it to do. And that's not good enough.

TheFatOne said:
I am now convinced Sony will never have a blockbuster game like Halo.
Pretty sure Gran Tourismo will sell like crazy. God of War probably will too although I haven't followed the sales history of that one.

VALIS

clashfan said:
I can't believe the high console sales. Don't people know we are in an economic downturn?

Home entertainment items are often the kind of stuff that get a bump in economic slumps as people choose to stay home more. I'd bet bar/restaurant and vacation resort income is sharply down.

cvxfreak

Balb said:

It seems to be forgotten here at GAF, so it might catch some GAFers off guard next month.

Kolgar

Wii numbers will be interesting from here on out now that supply has caught up with demand.

Nice 360 numbers. The console is positioned for nice growth and respectable lifetime totals. Microsoft's second effort has broken through.

PS3 numbers were actually higher than I expected, what with the absence of KZ2 ads. Sony really needs better advertising (and more of it) to go along with a price cut.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
gregor7777 said:
Well, yeah. But that's not the point. :lol

i never partake in sales-age, so...I have to doubt though that people think one game will boost the ps3 to first.

biggkidd32 said:
That's doubtful since there are already cheaper and decent standalone players in the market right now. It is a shame about the PS3, though. The system is built like a tank and has a good amount of exclusives.
Are there? Well, then maybe they could cut the price a little bit.

But the prices of other Blu-Ray players act like a floor that Sony can't really go below . . . because if they do, then people who only want Blu-Ray will buy the PS3 such that they'll never make their console subsidy back since those people will not buy games.

Then again, Sony can't really afford to drop the price much at all since they are already hurting.

Tiktaalik

I actually thought that this was the month that we'd see Wii/Wii Fit decrease a bit from the dizzying highs of December but I guess I was wrong :lol

I expected a bit more from SF4 as well, more in the over 1 million range, mostly because of anecdotal evidence of popularity and sellouts in my area.

TheFatOne said:
I am now convinced Sony will never have a blockbuster game like Halo.
Not with PS3, it won't. The system is flat out stuck (overall worldwide and especially so in North America), so all they can do is make sure it doesn't drop off of the radar abruptly and completely by managing releases, marketing, and price for the rest of the generation. Sure they don't want to be compared to TG-16/PC-Engine (a good platform with some great games, but ultimately an also ran) after all is said and done. They should be concerned about this trend and I think it's smart to drop the price immediately if they see a fifth consecutive drop YoY in NA. Better to lose a chunk up front than lose a lot more later. But how much can they afford to actually lose?

cw_sasuke said:
IU and Last Remnant sold like shit (massive price drops within the first week of release ) - SO is a pretty popular IP in the US and it also got a relative big marketing push with tv commercial .....

I guess from now on there won't be any 360 exklusive SE RPG this gen anymore - it just doesn't make sense business wise

Dude, the SE games, so far, are simply not as good as last gen... I think that is the bigger issues. I seriously doubt that it is on 360 has anything with it concerning USA (Japan is of course a different story). IU and Remnant are below 69, and Star Ocean is 70-something. Come on, stop making your 360 hate so retardedly obvious. Games with those scores from critics just usually don't see that well. Lost Odyssey did 200k+ in its first two weeks...from a relatively brand-new company. JRPGs can do decently in the USA on 360.

Keikoku

Banned
SF4 = awesomeness ! Very nice score for the PS3 version.

Killzone 2 failed though, decent sales but far from being a system seller...

alr1ghtstart said:
i never partake in sales-age, so...I have to doubt though that people think one game will boost the ps3 to first.

Doubt on then, but that won't stop the crazies around these parts.

Top Bottom