• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

It's a bit of sad news that the first month PS3 is supply constrained, it still sells less than the other two. I would have thought it was supply constrained because it sold more. What's up with Sony making so few of these consoles? They don't like sales?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Fleet of Foot said:
Why does the Wii's excuse have to be that it's supply constrained? Why can't the explanation simply be that there aren't that many more people who want the stupid thing that don't already have it?

Who wants a Wii by now that doesn't already have one? The novelty of it has to wear off at some point. (And yes, I have one collecting dust like everyone else.)

:lol :lol :lol

Cheech

BenjaminBirdie said:
And how can you even make those kinds of ridiculous claims when PS3 still had a spectacular month. Over 3 hundo in a February is fantastic.

Oh, no doubt the PS3 still had a great month. I was just speaking to his trolling of the 360 like it's his job. In every damn thread lately.

Zzoram

Jeels said:
People's console buying choices aren't always making sense to me when it comes to the number of and quality of games...

You have to consider the entire games library, not just this month's releases.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Amir0x said:
on the PS3, maybe!

Clearly with these sales, not on 360! Go Bioshock! :rock:
Where could they take the franchise next? Maybe 30 years in Rapture's future? 50? :O :O :O

Imagine the ruins at that point!

hah, dunno why I'm being so mean to BS2. :p

Cheech

Chozo said:
Looks like I'm another person eating crow on Heavy Rain. Didn't think it would chart top 10, so shows what I know.

It's great news for niche gaming. I'm really, really glad I bought it instead of rented. Felt like I was supporting something with that purchase.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It wasn't in last month's top 10 so I'm kind of curious to see how much MASSIVE ACTION GAME has sold so far.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Probably the slowest NPD thread ever.

PS3 version of MW2 did pretty well relative to the 360 one.

Dante Inferno is the first PS3 game to outsell its 360 version in the first month? (Should happen again next month with FF13)

Bioshock 2 starts strong (on the 360).

Just Dance.. WTF?

Frillen

Fleet of Foot said:
Why does the Wii's excuse have to be that it's supply constrained? Why can't the explanation simply be that there aren't that many more people who want the stupid thing that don't already have it?

Who wants a Wii by now that doesn't already have one? The novelty of it has to wear off at some point. (And yes, I have one collecting dust like everyone else.)

Except you don't. :lol :lol

Mrbob

legend166 said:
Someone answer this question for those that don't live in the States - is the Wii supply constrained?

It was bit now they are pretty easy to find. Nintendo has a new bundle out now that includes Wiisports and Wiisports Resort and motion plus for $199, that could drive sales. PS3s are still tough to get, its pretty ridiculous.

Amir0x

Banned
KratosKilla said:

Because it's a fucking atrocious game with no gameplay and a terrible, plot-hole ridden story? But... you can read my various rants on the game in the Heavy Rain Spoiler topic, and the Heavy Rain topic. google search it if interested (you're probably not).

slider

WrikaWrek said:
But it deserves so so much more.

Ain't that the truth.

My weird buying pattern (should purchase from the US but actually source from Europe) skew these figures. Skew them immensely.

witness

WTF at 360 numbers, why? Hmmmm Dante's Inferno PS3 marketing plus special edition wins over 360 version, just like Arkham Asylum. Nice to see Heavy Rain actually succeed despite the naysayers, wonderful to see creativity get rewarded. Bioshock PS3 not even charting :lol :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Shurs said:
They seem fine to me. That's pretty close to a million units in two months. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Yeah, I guess. I love the game so much so in my mind I guess it should be higher :D

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm glad that SCE is vindicated again with regards to Heavy Rain sales. No one wanted to believe them that it was apparently low in supply because it was selling briskly, it was all, 'Retailers didn't order a lot', but seeing how well it sold in NA this month, and opening No. 1 in UK, I'd be inclined to believe SCE that the title just sold very well.

user_nat said:
Dante Inferno is the first PS3 game to outsell its 360 version in the first month? (Should happen again next month with FF13)

Batman: AA did it and I think SFIV did it too.

LiquidMetal14 said:
:lol

360 - impressive
PS3 - impressive
Wii - Wha happen?
DS - printing monies
PSP - ..............
PS2 - never gonna die

Funny how a wha happen month for the wii still outshines an impressive month for the PS3

eznark

Banned
Amir0x said:
Because it's a fucking atrocious game with no gameplay and a terrible, plot-hole ridden story? But... you can read my various rants on the game in the Heavy Rain Spoiler topic, and the Heavy Rain topic. google search it if interested (you're probably not).
Your thoughts on the game have been more entertaining than the demo was

Amir0x said:
boo Heavy Rain!
I know you hated the game and all but aren't you at least moderately happy as a gamer to see such a niche title up there? I didn't care for Demon's Souls AT ALL but I was relieved to hear that it did well financially. Cage, QD and Sony took a big risk and even if narratively speaking it didn't pay off, I think it's good to see this type of game do well on the NPD's.

Fleet of Foot said:

This is a pretty mundane month and we still have meltdowns.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Batman Arkham Asylum sold better on ps3 its first month if I'm not mistaken.
I think it sold more after a few months, but the 360 version narrowly beat it first month.

legend166

Mrbob said:
It was bit now they are pretty easy to find. Nintendo has a new bundle out now that includes Wiisports and Wiisports Resort and motion plus for $199, that could drive sales. PS3s are still tough to get, its pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, but we're in March now. Think back to February :p

Amir0x

Banned
chubigans said:
Where could they take the franchise next? Maybe 30 years in Rapture's future? 50? :O :O :O

Imagine the ruins at that point!

hah, dunno why I'm being so mean to BS2. :p

It should not return to Rapture. I've made my case about that in the official Bioshock 2 thread. It strains believability that Rapture will be able to keep functioning for any longer in the state it is in. The damn place could still send security bots at you, I mean seriously!

They can however continue the story in an original location. Only limitation is their imagination and creativity. It remains to be seen what they could do.

Road

mentalfloss said:
It's a bit of sad news that the first month PS3 is supply constrained, it still sells less than the other two. I would have thought it was supply constrained because it sold more. What's up with Sony making so few of these consoles? They don't like sales?
360k still puts it as the 3rd biggest PS3's month outside Nov/Dec:

1. Jun 08 - 405.5k (MGS4)
2. Sep 09 - 491.8k (Slim launch)
3. Fev 10 - 360.1k (Shortages)

Things weren't really great for PS3 in the past.

That said, 422k is the 360's 2nd biggest month outside Nov/Dec:

1. Sep 07 - 527.8k (Halo 3)
2. Feb 10 - 422.0k (WTF?)
3. Feb 09 - 391.0k (February magic?)

Fleet of Foot said:

I'M ON MY WAY OUT ANYWAYS LET'S GO OUT IN A BLAAAAZE

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It should not return to Rapture. I've made my case about that in the official Bioshock 2 thread. It strains believability that Rapture will be able to keep functioning for any longer in the state it is in. The damn place could still send security bots at you, I mean seriously!

They can however continue the story in an original location. Only limitation is their imagination and creativity. It remains to be seen what they could do.
Eh, I guess. Still I hated the gameplay of the first. It only served as window dressing to me.

shwimpy

PS3 owners hate FPS not named Modern Warfare confirmed. :D

Nice showing for Dante's Inferno and Heavy Rain.

Next month's is going to be epic with GoW3 and FF13.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
KratosKilla said:
BIOSHOCK 2* 360 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Feb-10 562.9K
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09 555.6K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 314.3K
JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT Nov-09 275.4K
SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 272.5K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 252.8K
MASS EFFECT 2 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jan-10 246.5K
DANTE'S INFERNO: DIVINE EDITION PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS Feb-10 242.5K
DANTE'S INFERNO 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Feb-10 224.7K
HEAVY RAIN PS3 SONY Feb-10 219.3K

Another weird thing about this month is 7 out of the top 10 are non-Wii games.

There's been a lot of 'delays' from Christmas.

Maybe now publishers will stop overloading Q4. Good games will sell in any month.

thcsquad

First glance: Congrats 360!
Second glance: Congrats every console but Wii, apparently. The article seemed pretty negative about sales but every console/handheld soundly beat every prediction for the month.
Third glance: Good to see Heavy Rain in the top ten for its first four days of sales.
Fourth glance: I can't believe MW2 is still in the top ten, let alone beat Heavy Rain? That actually makes me kind of sad.

Okay, here's Jan NPDs (on left) and Feb NPDs (on right)

PlayStation 2 41.6K -> 101.9K
PlayStation 3 276.9K -> 360.1K
PSP 100.1K -> 133.4K
Xbox 360 332.8K -> 422.0K
Wii 465.8K -> 397.9K
Nintendo DS 422.2K -> 613.2K

Top Bottom