• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

FrankT

Psychotext said:
Doesn't look like it.

As of the January NPD in 2009 the PS3 had sold ~6.8m, as of the January NPD 2011 (last month) the PS3 had sold ~11.1m. I might be a few thousand off because of different numbers floating around, but it looks accurate to me.

It's off I noticed that earlier. It should be closer to 15M as MS was around 10 million difference with 25M plus last month.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
daebo said:
Good.

And I can see why Cliffy a little disappointed with dicktits. Not sure if a game like that has legs and needs to sell a lot initially...
The one thing going for Bulletstorm was that it was developed in Poland, so costs aren't exactly huge.

Ridley327

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Marvel VS Capcom 3 at #2 is kind of surprising. I knew it'd be top 10 but not that high.

Which means that there will probably be a Super MvC3 or MvC3 EX or something, which is good, since having more characters and stage is always a good thing!

Black Ops is just insane! We need more maps though.

And next month will be Pokemon Obviously. That could be pretty huge!

No Tactics Ogre. :(
Maybe if it had some FF characters in it!

thuway said:
This should tell Sony one thing, start working on next-gen- NOW. This generation they screwed themselves over by launching late with just about everything.
My sarcasm detection is broken. Help me.

And where are you getting this 11.1 million from Psychotext? PS3 is over 15million is the U.S.

Gravijah said:
noooo why did you change your nameeeeeee

LOL, it was sort of a weird name and I made this account before ME actually came out. I was so hyped for it I said what the hell. Low and behold, Liara ended up being the most boring character.

Also, some people saw Liara and assumed I was a girl.

Kept the avatar though....:)

Cruzader

Banned
EucadianProphecy said:
Cruzader
(Today, 01:08 AM)
Reply | Quote
?

What does that mean? I was posting the ovbious I guess. Kinect is making the 360 sell like crazy. What is move doing?

I suppose you think I'm a fanboy or something for not saying Kz3 bombed? For all I know, same was said about GT5 and didn't it sell 6mil in a few days WW or something? Bit saying kz3 would ever do those numbers but I would t call it a bomb right this minute.

Watchtower said:
Third game in the series. There are much better alternatives. Why such a big shock?
Its the second game on PS3. You'd usually hope for a sequel to build on the original's success. Kinda like DS2.

thuway said:
Making a sequel to any game (Uncharted barred) is usually a recipe for disaster. Most of my friends were lost as to why pick up the 3rd Killzone when they haven't played 1 or 2.

Yep, that's why Metal Gear, Halo, Metroid, etc have all sold much worse than the original game in their series.

Azure J

Whoa, Marvel is clocking in pretty decently. The hype worked it seems. :D

Kagari said:
Hopefully Marvel doing well means Capcom will put out a ton more... dlc... characters <_<

Anything for Vergil Strider X. :lol

Real talk, I hope we hit MvC 2 numbers. I'm a sucker for big rosters.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Reading some comments in this thread you would think the PS3 sold about 200k units.

It actually sold about 450k (using the % increase provided by NPD). That makes its second biggest non holiday month (and is more than a couple of holiday months).

Kafel

Banned
Did BulletStorm get a big marketing campaign ? I only saw some websites with skins during 2 or 3 days.

And I don't recall much faith in it from MS or Sony with bundles.

Jtyettis said:
It's off I noticed that earlier. It should be closer to 15M as MS was around 10 million difference with 25M plus last month.
Yeah, I double checked my spreadsheet... tis broken.

Should have been:

End of Jan 2009: 7.0m
End of Jan 2011: 15.7m

So Killzone 3 in 6 days did less than Killzone 2 did in 3 days... and selling to double the userbase. Related, Killzone 3 also sold less than Killzone 2 in its UK launch week.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kafel said:
Did BulletStorm get a big marketing campaign ? I only saw some websites with skins during 2 or 3 days.

Lots of ads but no hardware bundles for Bulletstorm.

Barrett2

Kafel said:

Yes, there are a lot of TV commercials on cable.

Grecco

Kafel said:

Bulletstorm had plenty of TV ads. But I dont think they once mentioned the fact that you would get the Gears beta with it, ala Crackdown and Halo 3.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
user_nat said:
Reading some comments in this thread you would think the PS3 sold about 200k units.

It actually sold about 450k (using the % increase provided by NPD). That makes its second biggest non holiday month (and is more than a couple of holiday months).

I know, it's a shame that achievement is being ignored tbh, there is know doubt that the 360 deserves an applause but I also think that the PS3 @ 450k (approx) is extremely impressive considering the higher price point.

user_nat said:

So where is da PR? :p

evolution

Kafel said:

It had a pretty big push on TV. Probably even more than what killzone received. The ads came on tv right behind one another sometimes.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
user_nat said:

Is this normal for consoles to be selling that much in February?

Averon

lowrider007 said:
I know, it's a shame that achievement is being ignored tbh, there is know doubt that the 360 deserves an applause but I also think that the PS3 @ 450k (approx) is extremely impressive also considering the higher price point.

Actually, Sony have been running $50 gift cards/credits for the PS3 since the beginning of the year. So, the PS3 had as close to a $50 price cut without it actually havinga price cut for a awhile.

lowrider007 said:
I know, it's a shame that achievement is being ignored tbh, there is know doubt that the 360 deserves an applause but I also think that the PS3 @ 450k (approx) is extremely impressive considering the higher price point.

"The best-selling hardware system of the month was the Xbox 360 which had its biggest non-holiday (November/December) sales month ever, surpassing September 2007 when Halo 3 launched.," Frazier says. "The 250 GB system bundled with the Kinect sensor was one of the drivers of the increase in average selling price among console hardware."
How do you figure that?

Synless

Just for reference, how many days away from the end of the month did Killzone 2 have in comparison to Killzone 3?

Kusagari

outunderthestars said:
I really don't know about that one. It will be interesting to see.

The hype I've seen for MK9 is insane. Every casual I know(even those who never play fighters) is getting it.

Elios83

Megadragon15 said:
How do you figure that?

Pachter said that 360 and PS3 had a 25% growth and Wii 15% growth compared to last year.
That puts PS3 at 450k, maybe the number/estimate should be put in the OP.

szaromir

Banned
Nirolak said:
The one thing going for Bulletstorm was that it was developed in Poland, so costs aren't exactly huge.
Development costs might still be in $10M+ territory. Probably not, but also not impossible (The Witcher 2 is a bit above that).

GhaleonEB

Megadragon15 said:
How do you figure that?
And that's the crazy part. The ASP is pretty high; an actual price drop this fall would set MS up for an incredible fall and holiday. Assuming they don't bork the supply again.

Zzoram

outunderthestars said:
dumb question: Why do companies release high profile games so late in the NPD reporting cycle? I'd think that they would want a full month of sales so they could issue PR about topping the charts and what not...

For hardcore games, the first week of sales is often more than the next two months of sales combined.

They release games at the end of the month so that when they sell bad, they can put out a PR saying it was only a week of sales.

KZ2 didn't even do that amazingly well compared to most "big" games, and despite reviews received lot of negative attention. Don't know what people expected out of 3.

VerTiGo

Banned
Mortal Kombat won't sell as good as Marvel.

First of all.... Mortal Kombat sucks dick.

Secondly, better game plus stronger brands = better sales.

Thor and Captain America movie release -> keep MvC3 going strong as it will for a long time.

fernoca

Averon said:
Boon and company should be grateful MK9 does half of MvC3's numbers.
Noone's expecting big numbers and the latest MK vs DC universe did over a million in the US (combined) and never made it into the Top 10; nearly 3 years ago. Even less with this one having an M-rating.

But it will sell good, 500k first month (combined) at least. The series has been known for its legs more than anything.

Riposte

Alright, this is what I want to hear MvC3 ver 2. Give it better features than SSF4 and get up to 60 characters. 40 dollars or less. Get on it Capcom!

I suppose 360's boost comes from Kinect? That is a whole lot of million-selling shovelware and I imagine a lot more to come.

Ridley327

Averon said:
Do MK still maintain that level of mainstream appeal vs MvC? I doubt it.
The kid-friendly factor for fighting games these days can't be denied, and that's something MK9 assuredly does not have in its favor.

Top Bottom