• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ridley327 said:
The kid-friendly factor for fighting games these days can't be denied, and that's something MK9 assuredly does not have in its favor.

Call of Duty is totally kid-friendly.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
VerTiGo said:
Mortal Kombat won't sell as good as Marvel.

First of all.... Mortal Kombat sucks dick.

Secondly, better game plus stronger brands = better sales.

Thor and Captain America movie release -> keep MvC3 going strong as it will for a long time.

Umm...Mortal Kombat is a powerful name, I'm fairly sure all the games have been big sellers.

Ouch @ Killzone 3 and Bulletstorm.

Wonder if we'll see a repeat of this in September with Resistance 3 and Rage (Gears 3 is the same month too).

duk

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
KZ2 didn't even do that amazingly well compared to most "big" games, and despite reviews received lot of negative attention. Don't know what people expected out of 3.

Depends on who you ask right? :)

KZ3 offers what over 2 really? I haven't the slightest idea but then again I was eyeing BS more which didn't do too well either.

evolution

Zzoram said:
For hardcore games, the first week of sales is often more than the next two months of sales combined.

They release games at the end of the month so that when they sell bad, they can put out a PR saying it was only a week of sales.
Has this ever happened? From any publisher?

Elios83 said:
Pachter said that 360 and PS3 had a 25% growth and Wii 15% growth compared to last year.
That puts PS3 at 450k, maybe the number/estimate should be put in the OP.
He said the PS3 had the higher price point. Seems the more expensive $399.99 360 may have sold well. Sorry I wasn't clear on highlighting that "higher price point" that he said.

Draft

Massa said:
The "KZ3 bomba" brings flashbacks to the "GT5 bomba". Never change, GAF.
Meaning that in spite of the game selling less than 300k copies in about a month Sony will release a statement claiming it sold 5 million and everyone will lap that up?

Riposte said:
Alright, this is what I want to hear MvC3 ver 2. Give it better features than SSF4 and get up to 60 characters. 40 dollars or less. Get on it Capcom!

I suppose 360's boost comes from Kinect? That is a whole lot of million-selling shovelware and I imagine a lot more to come.

Dance Central is shovelware? I'll call CNN.

Road

Elios83 said:
Pachter said that 360 and PS3 had a 25% growth and Wii 15% growth compared to last year.
That puts PS3 at 450k, maybe the number/estimate should be put in the OP.
Nirolak is doing good by not putting those numbers because they are over dollar value and not units.

We do know the PS3 sold more than 360k in February, though.

fernoca

Papercuts said:
Umm...Mortal Kombat is a powerful name, I'm fairly sure all the games have been big sellers.
Yep. All have sold over a million in the US alone, even spinoffs like Shaolin Monks sold well too.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Megadragon15 said:
He said the PS3 had the higher price point. Seems the more expensive $399.99 360 may have sold well.

Which isn't surprising. It's still very hard to find standalone 250GB Xbox systems. Only ones widely available are the $400 Kinect bundle.

szaromir

Banned
GarthVaderUK said:
Ouch @ Killzone 3 and Bulletstorm.

Wonder if we'll see a repeat of this in September with Resistance 3 and Rage.
I don't think so, at least not for Rage. Zenimax/Bethesda have very clever marketing department and this is id' first game in a veeeery long time.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Averon said:
Actually, Sony have been running $50 gift cards/credits for the PS3 since the beginning of the year. So, the PS3 had as close to a $50 price cut without it actually havinga price cut for a awhile.

I'm sorry but I don't buy this, are you saying that a $50 gift card/credit has the same effect on sales as an official price cut?, personally I thinking your overestimating the power of a gift card.

Kuroyume said:
Expect it to do at least better than KZ2 with a larger base and more days at the very least...

Why would it though? It got worse reviews, KZ2 had lot of negative press and lot of bad word of mouth. The online portion never really got big either. 3rd game in a series of mediocre sellers. The 1st game after several years on the market pulled around 2 mil, and only info we ever got out of KZ2 was that it sold over 1 mil and nothing was ever heard from again.

Out of all the big exclusive hyped up games in recent years, KZ2 had a fairly mediocre reception even after good reviews.

FrankT

Road said:
Nirolak is doing good by not putting those numbers because they are over dollar value and not units.

Was gonna say he says clearly dollar sales. Still perhaps Sony will release the figure. Up either way.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
lowrider007 said:
And your getting more for your money with the Kinect bundle tbh, so how do you figure that?
Really? Hasn't the arguement been for years that the PS3 is better value for money? Only does everything, blu ray, free online and all that stuff.

Road said:

Didn't the Wii units provided by Nintendo end up being about 15% more? Although I guess PS3 has more expensive bundles now and the Wii is the same.

MariusElijah said:
Is this normal for consoles to be selling that much in February?

Not historically, but it seems to be strengthening. The biggest single-system Feb sales in the past were due to pent-up unfulfilled demand from Christmas (and Jan) out-of-stock situations.

This Feb is the biggest combined home console (not counting portables; we don't have the numbers anyway) Feb in history. The next biggest was 2009 (where the Wii did half of the 1.4m), then 2010, which was 1.2m and pretty equally spread like this year.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm sure that disastrous public KZ3 MP beta didn't do them any favors. It didn't even work for a good week, yet they never pulled it from the store.

VerTiGo

Banned
Papercuts said:

No it's not. It's powerful name when it comes to us. Mortal Kombat died so many years ago. It's brand strength is nothing in comparison to MARVEL.

Mortal Kombat seems to be getting much more retail buzz than MvC. It will probably due well over 1 million at launch. Fighting games are back, ya'll.

kitzkozan

twinturbo2 said:
I'm wondering if the new Mortal Kombat will do as good as MVC3.

Better,no matter if the game live up to the hype or not.

A mediocre game like Mortal Kombat vs DC sold around 2 million copies and the new MK will easily outsell that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MvC 3's total in just this one month significantly eclipses the lifetime total of MvC2 across all three platforms.

MvC2 Dreamcast: 199,xxx (NPD 1997-2003 fullsheet leak, has been floating around the internet forever, cat is out of the bag)
MvC2 PS2: 246,xxx (CAG January 2008 number leak, cat is out of the bag)

I can't find any public sources for the Xbox number so we'll halt the discussion here and just say that MvC3 eclipses MvC2. Not even a close comparison.

Wonder why Nintendo did not mention any DS numbers. I guess the sales have calmed down due to the upcoming 3DS release.
I can't wait to see 3DS numbers for march. I'm expecting over a million easy.

duk

Banned
I have poor expectations for PS3 major 1st/2nd party games for later this year then. Almost every major game has underperformed.

Elios83

Road said:

Yup I know but:
1) Pachter gave the dollar figure for the 360 too, which actually had a significant price increase compared to last year due to Kinect bundles and yet numbers matched, same for Wii although here there wasn't a price change.
2)It might still be put as a simple estimate for those people that just read the OP and post.

fernoca

Ridley327 said:
When was the last time we saw an M-rated fighting game in the top 10?
November 2002:
9. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance (PS2)

October 2004:
3. Mortal Kombat Deception (PS2)
5. Mortal Kombat Deception (Xbox)

October 2006:
8. Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2)

Mk vs DC universe never made it to the Top 10 and still did over a million in the US.

Sipowicz

Banned
good on ms and ubi, their success is well deserved

i hope we get a proper rainbow six game now not this third person byllshit where you cant draw your route

LQX

Doesn't surprise me KZ3 sold less than 2 but I think it might sell better than the first as time goes. I bet many like me are waiting for a price drop as we were really turned off by how the game felt while still realizing the potential for it to get better.

And man its great to see fighting games having so much success. I pry SNK sinks some time and effort into a new KOF and Samurai Showdown like Capcom has done with their efforts.

MisterHero

All the other FPSes aren't thriving because CoD:BlOps has become the chosen celestial body- people flock to that game because that's what everyone else is playing, and they want to play together.

I guess that highlights a problem for competing online multiplayer games.

Massa said:
The "KZ3 bomba" brings flashbacks to the "GT5 bomba". Never change, GAF.
Draft said:
Meaning that in spite of the game selling less than 300k copies in about a month Sony will release a statement claiming it sold 5 million and everyone will lap that up?
Not only that, you will be called a fanboy (or worse)for questioning it/ heh

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
duk said:
I have poor expectations for PS3 major 1st/2nd party games for later this year then. Almost every major game has underperformed.

If Uncharted 3 underperforms then there is no hope, but thats unlikely.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
user_nat said:
Really? Hasn't the arguement been for years that the PS3 is better value for money? Only does everything, blu ray, free online and all that stuff.

I think at one time you could argue that when blu-ray players were silly money and the PS3 had everything but the kitchen sink built into it but now things have changed, the 360 slim @ it's current price point I think offers much more value per dollar atm.

VerTiGo

Banned
durrrrrrrrrr said:
how is MvC3 doing compared to SF4 and SSF4?

Someone posted comparisons earlier but there's no way MvC3 won't crush Street Fighter.

With that said, I've gone back to SSFIV. My sales predictions have nothing to do with my preference.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
MariusElijah said:
If Uncharted 3 underperforms then there is no hope, but thats unlikely.
Though I can't say releasing it in the same month as Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim, and the next Assassin's Creed was Sony's greatest idea ever.

LQX said:
Doesn't surprise me KZ3 sold less than 2 but I think it might sell better than the first as time goes.

? We don't even know if KZ2 outsold the first game. The game had passed 1 million after almost 2 months and then we never heard of it again. It held for a couple months low on the UK charts for a while but we know that's not a ton of copies sold. KZ1 supposedly did around 2 mil after several years and the GH release, but it's hard to say if KZ2 even got that close seeing how it dropped off of NPD quickly and other countries.

Ridley327

Nirolak said:
Though I can't say releasing it in the same month as Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim, and the next Assassin's Creed was Sony's greatest idea ever.
At least it's the first game released that month!

...yeah, this was not a good idea on their part.

Top Bottom