• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

apana

Kusagari said:
People that post on GAF are 0.01% of the gaming public. Go talk to your casual dudebro friends about MK and watch them reminisce about the old times playing it.

Well the only game I hear people talking about is Call of Duty. It would make sense that maybe MK appeals to some in that group, but I haven't heard a lot of buzz right now.

jvm

Gamasutra.
The thing I don't get is that if PS3 was up YOY, then that's still a good number. Hardly worth hiding from. (Re: Sony's PR)

xbhaskarx

Sony PR:
NPD’s February numbers illustrate continued growth of the entire PlayStation 3 ecosystem, including increases in hardware, software and peripheral sales. PlayStation’s exclusive titles, combined with stereoscopic 3D and precision motion controlled gaming, continue to resonate with consumers, and we look forward to furthering the momentum with MotorStorm Apocalypse and SOCOM 4 next month.
-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

LOL, Playstation ecosystem again. Why does this guy even have a job, he should at least come up with a new phrase every few months...

kitzkozan

Cels said:
MK9 will sell well.

MKvDC was mediocre but still sold millions, and everything is pointing to MK9 being highly polished which not to be underestimated (whether or not the core fighting experience is as good as MvC3 is another question)

I think Mortal kombat can sell as well as vanilla SFIV,except that most of the success will be in the US.Honestly,It was kind of a shock to learn that somehow MK vs DC made it to 1.9 million copies shipped to store despite no hype or tournament scene play.Even crazier is that you would barely see the game used,so people didn't return the game all that often.

MK should sell 3 million as it's going to be a better game with more content (and it look much better too).

Rewrite said:
I saw a lot of them, but they were those horrible Kevin Butler ads. Sony really should reconsider their marketing strategy because those KB ads are horrible in advertising their games, in my opinion.

Killzone 3 had a Kevin Butler ad and a standalone ad. They've been pushing extensively online as well. Neither it nor Bulletstorm can really claim to be un-hyped. It's likely that Marvel was just the new hotness for most 360/PS3 owners this month, the platform split is probably 55:45.

jvm

Gamasutra.
xbhaskarx said:
LOL, Playstation ecosystem again. Why does this guy even have a job, he should at least come up with a new phrase every few months...
Actually, it's the PlayStation 3 ecosystem. Wasn't it just the PlayStation ecosystem previously?

Rewrite said:
Get ready for another dose of Kevin Butler ads. :|

There were a metric shit ton of Kevin Butler Killzone 3 ads. Some thing where he has a wears a mask of himself on the back of his head. David Lynch directed FOR SURE.

See KZ3 did pretty well for 6 days on the market.

People always jump to such conclusions.

Anyway I've just jumped back in and seen hardware figures, seems like all 3 did really decent numbers this month. Should all be releasing extra boastful press releases. Microsoft really is excelling in the States though, Sony must be glad they have that 100k from Japan every month to keep them in line.

Barrett2

alr1ghtstart said:
I'm sure that disastrous public KZ3 MP beta didn't do them any favors. It didn't even work for a good week, yet they never pulled it from the store.
This is actually a really good point. Their goddamn beta barely worked. Every time I fired up the PS3 it was down for maintenance. That's pretty ridiculous for a fucking MP demo.

Zzoram

Kevin Butler ads only matter to people who are Sony fans already. Anyone who doesn't already have a PS3 doesn't give a shit about Kevin Butler, and may be outright turned off by him.

SafeinSound said:
They already have confirmed multiple studios working on new Call of Duty's

That's the joke. There's already a ridiculous amount of people working on Cod. So expect another one.

I agree with others who think MK will be massive. I'm no fighting game fan but every time a new MK game comes around I get excited. It's something about the characters and the lore with the over the top violence. I recently went back and bought all the previous ps2 games in preparation for the new one.

GeoramA

KZ3 didn't do GoWIII numbers for Sony, but it's still decent. Add in the $299 bundle and it should be a pretty respectable number. I don't know what people were expecting, especially with the shitload of competition within the genre.

Thinking about it, the KZ3 numbers are not that surprising. Hell, even on GAF there was not much hype for it. I don't care for it either after KZ2.

Bizzyb

Banned
Call of Duty?? Really? Good Lord, are gamers brain-dead sheep or something now? A fucking first person shooter? WTF is going on in this industry?

xbhaskarx said:
Really, this long after launch? Where was this?

You are an idiot.

Now now play nice. I get what he's saying. Certainly it's typically been a bigger achievement for a console exclusive to hold that title than a multiplatform game.

But didn't Wii Play also come as a pack-in which kind of keeps it from being a qualified contender?

Road

kswiston said:
For comparison's sake, does anyone have PS2 numbers for Feb 2005 and Feb 2006 (its fifth and sixth February)???

Feb 2005:
PS2 - 533,000
GCN - 116,000
XBX - 212,000

Feb 2006:
PS2 - 299,000
GCN - 67,000
XBX- 88,000

Anyone who thinks Mortal Kombat will sell poorly just has to look at how Mortal Kombat 2 has been one of the top 10 selling games on the PSN Store since it released years ago. The franchise is still huge with such positive buzz this new one will do gangbusters. Better than Marvel Vs. Capcom for sure.

Kafel

Banned
It's like there's no slow months for strong AAA HD titles anymore. I can't wait to see who will start delaying titles for 2012 as we go further into the year.

schennmu said:
Thinking about it, the KZ3 numbers are not that surprising. Hell, even on GAF there was not much hype for it. I don't care for it either after KZ2.

Indeed, I've barely seen any Killzone 3 gifs.

Bizzyb said:
Call of Duty?? Really? Good Lord, are gamers brain-dead sheep or something now? A fucking first person shooter? WTF is going on in this industry?
It is the year 2011 and you are surprised about first person shooters being hit successes in the video game industry.

LosDaddie

Banned
wow...I thought NPD was next week.

Quick Initial Impressions:
-Impressive Feb for the X360. Very impressive.
-MvC3 did great
-BS > KZ3 is....kinda surprising. I figured KZ3 would at least get 500k on launch day alone.

I'll check back/catch up on the thread tomorrow.

rosjos44

xbhaskarx said:
Really, this long after launch? Where was this?

You are an idiot.

ouch...

I understand its the SAME game but seriously if you break it down by platform it would not be at 10 million. I'm just saying that having a game on multiple platforms is beneficial to your overall number but I think its more of a feat to accomplish that 10 million sold mark on a single platform better than a game that passed that number with the combined SKU of each platform.

I'm not downing the game at all but why ignore that fact?

Yes Wii play has a controller with it and that is extra incentive too.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Road said:
Feb 2005:
PS2 - 533,000
GCN - 116,000
XBX - 212,000

Feb 2006:
PS2 - 299,000
GCN - 67,000
XBX- 88,000
Goes to show how much stronger the industry is overall.

Xbox and Gamecube weren't even close to the PS2.

GarthVaderUK said:
The last one on PS3 opened pretty badly, didn't it?

I remember MS2 selling 38k first month in three days, but I can't find a link. If I am remembering correctly, than MS3 may be more like 25k first month.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shalashaska161 said:
Anyone who thinks Mortal Kombat will sell poorly just has to look at how Mortal Kombat 2 has been one of the top 10 selling games on the PSN Store since it released years ago. The franchise is still huge with such positive buzz this new one will do gangbusters. Better than Marvel Vs. Capcom for sure.

It's almost exactly like Sonic, people buy it on name alone. MK versus DC is a terrible game that sold quite a few copies.

Does anyone else find it a little disheartening that Call of Duty Black Ops is the top selling game of all time in the US? Not trying to troll as COD is enjoyable and all, but with all the innovative and quite frankly higher quality titles out there; a rather generic, cookie cutter FPS game doing so well just rubs me the wrong way.

The direction our industry is going I fear.

Mortal Kombat 9 selling poorly? You're dreaming.

I'm actually pretty sure that Mortal Kombat 9 will beat the heck out of vanilla street fighter 4 in sales. I wouldn't bet on it, but in the U.S at least, MK is huge.

Whether it's a better game or not, it's very arguable, but it's a very hyped game.

Anyway, awesome numbers for hardware. Two consoles at 400k+ is pretty incredible.

So what games do we think will be in the top 5 for next NPD?

Only one I can think of as a sure thing is Pokemon Black/White (with number one spot).

Bizzyb said:

Are you really surprised by Call of Duty selling well?

This is like saying Pokemon? Really? Madden? Really? Warcraft expansion? Really?

etc...

CoD is the GTA of this generation. It will stay on top until we get a generational shift and a new top dog franchise. Even then, it will probably take 3-5 years for it to wind down, assuming the games actually go down in quality (note: they haven't).

Appollowexx said:
Does anyone else find it a little disheartening that Call of Duty Black Ops is the top selling game of all time in the US? Not trying to troll as COD is enjoyable and all, but with all the innovative and quite frankly higher quality titles out there; a rather generic, cookie cutter FPS game doing so well just rubs me the wrong way.

The direction our industry is going I fear.

Most of the legit gripes about CoD (linearity, AI, respawning enemies) are moot in the mode that everyone buys it for.

Bizzyb said:

Ok now I'm getting confused. On one hand GAF says casual games like Dance Central or Just Dance 2 that are crap and shouldn't sell because they are casual. OTH one of the uhm corest of "core" becomes the best selling title and now that's shit.

What's ok to buy anymore and what should sell?

seady said:
Dead Space 2 didn't do very well…. :(
With all the talk and hype I thought it would do much better.
it's doing well given that this is its second month. not really seeing where you'd be complaining.

rosjos44

Yea I wish our US society would embrace different genres more than just FPS's and Sports. I was so happy to hear DQ9 sold over a million in the states.

Cruzader

Banned
GarthVaderUK said:
Indeed, I've barely seen any Killzone 3 gifs.
Haha!

Awesome post! KZ3 as a whole is a POS. Long time fans just dislike all the MP changes and SP, although beefier, has alot of rush elements.

I actually think MW2 had a better package. No lie. Don't hate. Spec-Ops on that game is the shit, specially on veteran mode. Anyhow yea sucks but KZ3 let down alot of ppl and sales will show that. But I doubt it's bombing.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Watchtower said:
Ok now I'm getting confused. On one hand GAF says casual games like Dance Central or Just Dance 2 that are crap and shouldn't sell because they are casual. OTH one of the uhm corest of "core" becomes the best selling title and now that's shit.

CoD is usually a casual experience, nothing 'core' about it.

Top Bottom