• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2012 [Up 3: Kingdoms Of Amalur, Syndicate, Asura]

If Twisted Metal is the second highest selling individual SKU of the month, that means that XIII-2 PS3 did less than 221k. If XIII-2 360 isn't in the individual top ten, that means it's less than 135k. XIII-2 has a max of 350k if this is correct which is a spectacular bomba compared to FFXIII's 1.3m first month.

This is very sad :(

UberTag

If Twisted Metal is the second highest selling individual SKU of the month, that means that XIII-2 PS3 did less than 221k. If XIII-2 360 isn't in the individual top ten, that means it's less than 135k. XIII-2 has a max of 350k if this is correct which is a spectacular bomba compared to FFXIII's 1.3m first month.
It's an epic disaster for the Final Fantasy franchise... even bigger than what occurred over in Japan.
Will be amusing to see people look at that 2nd place ranking and think good things about its performance.

Kazerei

Banned
We don't know the 3DS and DS sales from last month.

We can estimate from Nintendo's PR, yes?

Nintendo 3DS: 262,000, a 53 percent increase = 171k
Nintendo DS: 135,000, a 76 percent increase = 77k

But as Road mentioned, we don't know PS2 or PSP numbers. But they're probably very small.

EDIT: As multiple people have pointed out already...

Takao

Banned
Wait, you haven't seen some of the ratings on them US PSN games? They are selling very well and not everyone rates. I know what your implying but you really have no clue.

The thing is, no one but Sony and the publishers themselves have a really clue as to how software on PSN is selling, and they aren't talking.

SOMEONE DO THE MATH

This months sales
360 426
ps3 360
3ds 262
wii 228
nds 135

Total 1411

Total sales w/o vita = 1411000
Last month sales (divide 162%) = 870987.6543
Last month sales * 187% = 1628746.914
Difference between sales w and w/o vita sales = 217746.9136
Divide by 1000 = 217.7469136

VITA Total ~218K

Assumes PSP and PS2 were zero. If we assume the two were ~75K, then Vita sales are ~230K.

It is what it is. I think you're old enough to know what I meant. Price matters more now. If it was the SW, PS3 would be winning considering it's had a much more consistent string of exclusives that are of quality than MSFT.

Not that I've been a heavy PS3 consumer the last year as I haven't bought a day 1 game in at least 6 months. Tales of Graces f will change that.

Pirce. Why wouldn't it in this economic climate? Plus it's catalog of games and services speaks for itself.
What are you not understanding about average selling price?
Let me put it to you this way, even if you took out EVERYONE that bought the 360 Arcade Console, there sales of the 360 would still be higher (> 360k) than the PS3.

And MOST of the real world sales do come from software sales, and that's why the 360 is "winning" (as you seem to put it) right now, because Kinect and literally dozens of Kinect games (which are completely exclusive) are far more important to the mainstream than releasing one exclusive like Twisted Metal.

Microsoft has more quantity of software and according to the mainstream better quality too.

Why would it have a long tail? It's not really a universally appealing title like a Mario game.
Not looooooong tail, but it's a title that many 3DS owners can recommend to new buyers.

And now Nintendo is advertising Revelations along with Mario Land and Mario Kart, something like the "best games exclusive to 3DS".

FFXIV bombed too, now XIII-2 as well.

The franchise needs a break and a massive reinvention if it is to ever recover from this disaster.

XIV bombed because it's atrocious though. .

XIII-2 by all accounts is the best FF game in years.

The "XIII" moniker held it back IMO sales-wise.

Petrae

A general statement in what way?

Well, I can't speak for her, but a positive way to present a number that might not be as high as some were predicting would be to accentuate the limited release window.

That's a guess, though. I can't say for sure whether those numbers were included.

jman2050

The DS number is interesting. The US really is incredibly slow regarding the adoption of new hardware. DS sales dies almost instantly in Japan upon the 3DS's release.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, I can't speak for her, but a positive way to present a number that might not be as high as some were predicting would be to accentuate the limited release window.

That's a guess, though. I can't say for sure whether those numbers were included.
Ah ok, like that, i understand.

XIV bombed because it's atrocious though. .

XIII-2 by all accounts is the best FF game in years.

The "XIII" moniker held it back IMO sales-wise.

I dunno...I think the brand itself is damaged greatly now, not just the poisonous XIII name (which Versus better shed as soon as possible).

Eternia

Software seems pretty low considering the number of new releases. :(

Did anyone seriously expect it to do much better though? I mean did anyone REALLY expect this to do 500k+?
The percentage drop from FFXIII is pretty severe. I'm a bit surprised PS3 users rejected it as much as they did. More than Japan I believe?

Jhriad

For some perspective, MW3 did 386,000 in total sales across all SKUs in January. It's hard to fathom that number going up considerably in February and yet it still finished first.

That portends to extremely poor numbers for XIII-2 compared to FF13's 1.32 million in sales to debut in March 2010.

Yikes. That means that FF (for a FF title) & Amalur pretty much bombed given they're combining the SKUs.

I'm a bit surprised PS3 users rejected it as much as they did.

I'm not. Maybe Square will hand FF off to Eidos for the next one. Might be an improvement.

xxczx

The DS number is interesting. The US really is incredibly slow regarding the adoption of new hardware. DS sales dies almost instantly in Japan upon the 3DS's release.
I think it's just the impact the DS has made in the West, literally everyone has one. The 3DS hasn't done this yet.

Kusagari

I'm actually more surprised at how low this means Amalur is. I wonder if people skipped over it because they're still playing Skyrim.

Well at least XIII-2 DLC sales seem to be strong (on EU PSN anyway).

Very depressing for an FF fan such as myself.

Who knows if the series will ever debut like XIII did ever again.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow.

Dat XIII-2 bomba. I look forward to it being $30 on Amazon soon so I can play. Hopefully SE wisens up and makes that FFVII remake/remaster/whatever happen sooner rather than later.

Petrae

Investor reaction could be interesting tomorrow. Console hardware and software took big tumbles YOY and stronger sales in the portable sector helped to save face overall.

Just something to watch if you have time tomorrow.

boingball

All the Vita software is DD, so not counted. Otherwise the Vita would have dominated the charts (not...).

221k for Twisted Metal is not bad.

Road

Quick Google gives me Final Fantasy X-2 over 400k in November 2003, with I guess half-month of sales.

FFXIII did around 1.3 million. You have to imagine the sequel would be somewhere in that ballpark.

yes, but that's 1.3 million people who played it. That's a lot of bad PR.

The game has already sold over a million worldwide and I can't imagine the budget being anywhere near XIII's, so it's not an earth-shattering kind of bomb (or not even a bomb at all, from S-E's perspective.)

Wazzim

Banned

This months sales
360 426
ps3 360
3ds 262
wii 228
nds 135

Total 1411

Total sales w/o vita 1411000
Last month sales (divide 162%) 870987.6543
Last month sales *187% 1628746.914
Difference between sales w and w/o vita sales 217746.9136
Divide by 1000 217.7469136

VITA Total ~218K

Pretty big bomb if true.

He has assumed the PSP and PS2 sold zero and used this months total for the other consoles to work out last months total. Obviously it is not accurate but it does give a minimum number.

Correct, I'm going with the numbers I can find. I have added an assumption of psp/ps2 sales and came up with 230K.

jman2050

I think it's just the impact the DS has made in the West, literally everyone has one. The 3DS hasn't done this yet.

Well I mean, a similar phenomenon happened when the DS released. The GBA trucked along for a very, VERY long time after 2004, enough to give birth to the whole "GBA>PS3" wars of 2007

Petrae

I'm actually more surprised at how low this means Amalur is. I wonder if people skipped over it because they're still playing Skyrim.

It fared decently for the 360, but I fear that the PS3 version was a considerable underperformer.

Top Bottom