• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

Can I be a pessimist and say this is the last big Street Fighter we'll see?

Way to early to say that. If they get things turned around the game can have legs, and even if it doesnt it would still probably be tempting for Sony to fund SFVI for PS5 if people start begging them for it.

This is a terrible launch for the game to be sure, but i wouldnt hit the panic button just yet.

Warxard

Banned
With how Japanese Birthright looked, plus all the censorship and cut content stuff covered in gaming media, how untraditional the version releases were, plus 3DS's dawn, I actually thought Fates would open lower than Awakening.

But it's not! Fire Emblem is here to stay.

Pretty sure people outside of shitty image boards don't care about censorship

Shit was gonna sell regardless

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how Capcom will come away from this.

(A) "We shouldn't have released the game before all the content was ready to go"

or the more likely scenario....

(B) "Oh, we should have made SFV a mobile game, duh!"
"The time of fighting games is over, let's never make on again"

And then MKXI sells 10 million copies.

How? They would have sold even less on the Xbox.
They would have sold less with one more platform?

onQ123

Zhuge told me on Twitter there is a mistake with Lego...

CdOUAZBWwAAb_Ao.jpg:large

The real best selling version of Lego was the PS4 version, not the 360.

And with that PS4 has officially taking over every aspect of the console gaming market besides dancing games.

Ridley327

You forgot digital.

Legit surprised by Naruto. Biggest Naruto launch month in the US since beginning of last gen. Why?

Bamco did a good job with advertising this as the conclusion to not only this series of games, but as a proper send-off for the Shippuden portion of Naruto with the anime still being in filler hell.

Wagram

I'm curious how much the negativity around SFV impacted it. No doubt it caused a dip in sales, but is it at all possible people just weren't interested in this one as much as they were in SF IV?

With how Japanese Birthright looked, plus all the censorship and cut content stuff covered in gaming media, how untraditional the version releases were, plus 3DS's dawn, I actually thought Fates would open lower than Awakening.
Vocal minority and/or any publicity is good might be the reason it didn't bomb.

Or the series transcend Internet nerds holding its fate.

Can I be a pessimist and say this is the last big Street Fighter we'll see?
Capcom says Street Fighter is a service.

Want the game to last 5 years.

Says it’s just day one.

Shipped the game in a barebones state likely knowing it would be lukewarm received at best until more content is added

Only projected to ship 2 million by end of March

Could be anywhere from 500-700K now

Could easily sell discounted versions to update the game, even a free-to-play one since the game is a “service"

Stated themselves they want the bulk of sales to come from the community spending money on the store, not one off fans who buy the game and trade it in a month later.

Not every game has to debut 2.5 million units to be successful

-_- and that’s for crapping on a genre I care deeply about.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm curious how much the negativity around SFV impacted it. No doubt it caused a dip in sales, but is it at all possible people just weren't interested in this one as much as they were in SF IV?

I suspect the fundamental issue is that people aren't interested in a $60 fighting game that doesn't try to cater to as many audiences as possible (and thus including a ton of content).

If this was an f2p game it would probably be earning more money than it is, though they don't have enough content to even do that right now.

Boke1879

"The time of fighting games is over, let's never make on again"

And then MKXI sells 10 million copies.

They would have sold less with one more platform?

No I'm saying I doubt it would have even sold as much on Xbox as it did on PS4. So they spend more time and resources just for it to under perform. At the end of the day whatever money Sony gave them helped soften the blow.

Regiruler

This is the Shippuden game ending the series, and it looks amazing! Seriously, have you guys played naruto games or just crapping on Anime in general?

Why so surprised they are selling well?

Yes, I have played generations. It was a completely middling experience, the entire time during which I was thinking "I could be playing Revolution 3 right now".

The focus on Ninja Storm killed the other fighting game series that had far more mechanical depth simply because it had fewer characters and was on an "inferior" platform. To have the word "Naruto" being synonymous with the worse series is completely saddening to me. Hell, the fact that pokken draws from it for its field phase is immensely worrying: there are ways of fighting in a 3D space that are fairly controllable, yet people seem to ignore this in favor of limitless analog movement, which is difficult to control and unfun to play (a well-implemented sidestep is a much better way to go about it, in my opinion).

It would have been made. They said Sony just sped up the process. (Which of course backfired)

They said don't look for one before 2018 .
Which does not mean they were even going to make one then with how capcom has been this gen .
As in they have not brought out one game that is not a remake or re using assets this gen .

SpotAnime

Naruto games are awesome! Dunno why people keep giving them shade, that anime is very successful in the west and this is the game ending the series story wise. Its kinda a big deal to fans, I’m heavily into fighters, but i’m still gonna buy it event though it’s not a super deep system.

I've taken a few years off, and really only played Naruto: Rise of a Ninja on the 360 since that follows the beginning story arcs. But I loved Asura's Wrath and CC2 does amazing work, so maybe I should get back into the series. I'm just afraid after what, 200+ episodes I won't know what's going on.

But then again, I did say I loved Asura's Wrath, and I don't know what happened there either. So I guess I'm ready!

That only works when Sony can't or won't price match. Thats no longer the case as Xmas 2015 showed.

Well, IMO, they have two options: 1) lower the price; or 2) don't. They have to cheaper than the PS4 to stay "competitive". So doing nothing because you think that Sony may do the same is a sure fire way to be irrelevant, even in the US.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Capcom is probably regretting that console exclusivity.

Would it really made a difference? The problems of SFV aren't something that are exclusivity related. Not that it wouldn't sell more copies if it appeared on XBO off course.

For that matter I reckon Naruto's split would be pretty big in favor if PS4. I am curious how big, that might give an indication on how well SFV would do on the XBO.

Well, IMO, they have two options: 1) lower the price; or 2) don't. They have to cheaper than the PS4 to stay "competitive". So doing nothing because you think that Sony may do the same is a sure fire way to be irrelevant, even in the US.

It's not that simple.....X1 actually cost a bit more to manufacture then ps4, they can;t keep dropping the price too soon or they will run out of price drops, they also want to make money off x1 not be in the red.

I suspect the fundamental issue is that people aren't interested in a $60 fighting game that doesn't try to cater to as many audiences as possible (and thus including a ton of content).

If this was an f2p game it would probably be earning more money than it is, though they don't have enough content to even do that right now.

Yep SFV is a fighting game made like this was 10 years ago .
All fighting games these day even if they don't sell huge amount have loads of content .
$60 for what they asking for at launch not worth it to a lot of people .

RexNovis

Banned
So if PS4 sales are up year over year, and hardware sales are down year over year, does that mean the other hardware are down even more than the 23% to make up for it?

Am I reading this right?

THe 23% is revenue not units. SO its not as 1:1 as you seem to think it is.

Csr

Imo past SFIV releases and SFXT had little content for most of the casual audience. Capcom should have content for those people in SFV on release and also should have advertised that content a lot. MKX's success comes from the good word of mouth from MK9 imo. After SFV's release bad word of mouth for both the casual and online competitive crowd made sales drop even faster. That is my take at least.

Top Bottom