• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2011 [Up4: Analyst Data (Lots Of Games)]

Mrbob

If Sony is smart the base PS3 gets dropped to $249 and the move bundle goes to $299. Get all systems to sub 300 price points finally. Sales are relatively flat right now with no price drop in a couple years. PS3 hardware sales are fine the doom and gloom is pretty funny. Now they aren't up like Xbox 360, but then the platform is riding the Kinect wave with 60% of hardware sales being Kinect. While this is impressive, thinking long term we will see what works better. Hardware sales which aren't relying on an accessory for growth, or the platform which now has 3/5 of its hardware sales relying on an accessory. Of course ultimately whoever sells better between PS3 and 360 means nothing to third parties. Nearly every game is multi platform anyway.

Archie said:
But, but, but The Beatles Rock Band was the most important game ever made. lol

Hahaha, this still sticks out to me as one of the most over hyped "failures" of all time. I put failures in quotes because the game did sell ok, but it definitely did not sell well relative to the hype it received.

Rolf NB

BishopLamont said:
Price cutting will eat into the industry's revenue even more, any increased software won't make up for the loss since the generation is winding down.
Disagree. Bringing in more people would significantly increase publishing business. The only ones who might possibly NOT benefit are the platform holders themselves, but that can go either way.

As for "winding down", you don't end a generation before tapping into the mass market proper. That's where all those investments are supposed to pay off. Never going there is a colossal waste of money.

JGS

Banned
Ridley327 said:
:looks at his warehouse backroom, notices at least 3 dozen uDraw bundles:

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

In all seriousness, uDraw seems like the sort of thing that sells really well over the holiday season and then no one gives two shits about it, just like Cabela and Rapala bundles.
I would have bought it if it included Pictionary which seems fair.

Pictionary for 30-40 plus 70 for Udraw does not seem fair. We figured it would be on lcearance by next winter and play real Pictionary.

Ridley327

JGS said:
I would have bought it if it included Pictionary which seems fair.

Pictionary for 30-40 plus 70 for Udraw does not seem fair. We figured it would be on lcearance by next winter and play real Pictionary.
I've actually seen Pictionary being offered free if you purchase the tablet in recent ads, so you might want to keep an eye out.

Meier

LosDaddie said:
Nah, I don't believe so. The Wii is already "slim" enough, it's quiet, and it's always had low power consumption. I don't see a re-design doing anything for the Wii.

IMO, all it needs is a price cut. And maybe some new colors.

The 360's new revision didn't necessarily make it that much smaller but it looked different and new and that weighs heavily in a consumer's mind. I'm confident the Wii could get slimmer -- it's a bit clunky and stale looking at this point. Up the onboard memory every so slightly, include an ethernet port, etc. Small tweaks and a new look would unquestionably help and make people who might have sold theirs previously consider buying it again.

Meier said:
The 360's new revision didn't necessarily make it that much smaller but it looked different and new and that weighs heavily in a consumer's mind.

It also added Wi-Fi and removed RRoD problems (Jasper did that already, but Jasper looked just like previous models on the first glance).

LM4sure

Banned
jay said:
Part of the problem here is that many people disagree with this and continually repeat the line that even casuals will eventually realize the Wii looks terrible and demand HD games.

Evenutally? LOL!

The majority of people do not even have hd tvs! By the time people realize the WIi looks terrible the wii hd will be out!

chubigans said:
Maybe that's because the Move bundle is $100 over the normal retail PS3 price, and the Kinect bundle is the same $299 that the 360 has been selling for before Kinect.

The Move bundle is a terrible deal, and consumers know it...there is zero value to it (no money is saved by buying Move/PS3 separate than getting the bundle). Kinect, meanwhile, is like you're getting it for free with the standard bundle. Combine that with a massive marketing campaign and you got yourself a hot ticket item.

Kinect bundles cost 100 more than their non Kinect conterparts, just like the move stuff. There is a 50 dollar savings but in no way is it "like getting it for free".

No matter how many reasons people give nothing is going to change the fact that the demand in the US for the 360 is far higher than the demand for the ps3 and price has little to do with it.

Shurs

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
It also added Wi-Fi and removed RRoD problems (Jasper did that already, but Jasper looked just like previous models on the first glance).

This is the reason I decided to "jump in" as soon as the Type S model was available.

Even if the RROD issues were already cured, it took a physical change in the hardware to put my mind at ease. I also needed wi-fi.

Paracelsus

LM4sure said:
Evenutally? LOL!

The majority of people do not even have hd tvs! By the time people realize the WIi looks terrible the wii hd will be out!

Is this still true? I mean, that the majority of people haven't switched to HDTV? Stores basically throw HD ready tvs in your face, at this point. ._.

Meier

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I feel confident in saying that the RRoD has been a non-issue for Joe Six-Pack ever since it was out of the news which was years ago. Good call on the wi-fi though as I have to admit I forgot about it. I still think that the visual overhaul was the primary factor it helped spur sales even before Kinect.

Gravijah

Paracelsus said:
Is this still true? I mean, that the majority of people haven't switched to HDTV? Stores basically throw HD ready tvs in your face, at this point. ._.

Most of the people I know don't have an HDTV. But I live in a very poor area.

chubigans said:
Maybe that's because the Move bundle is $100 over the normal retail PS3 price, and the Kinect bundle is the same $299 that the 360 has been selling for before Kinect.

The 360 was selling for $199 before Kinect. The Kinect bundle is $100 over the normal retail 360 price.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
OldJadedGamer said:
The 360 was selling for $199 before Kinect. The Kinect bundle is $100 over the normal retail 360 price.
The 360 also had a $299 model before Kinect. Now it has a $299 model with Kinect, sans some GB storage. The bare bones $199 model has always been there, and I wouldn't exactly call it "standard," but you get what I mean.

Dabanton

I think we will at least see a GTA5 reveal this year. Though any hint of a release this year would see many big games suddenly need 'extra work' and be pushed back to 2012.

chubigans said:
The 360 also had a $299 model before Kinect. Now it has a $299 model with Kinect, sans some GB storage. The bare bones $199 model has always been there, and I wouldn't exactly call it "standard," but you get what I mean.

Yes, and now that $299 model is $399 with a Kinect. $100 over the normal retail 360 price.

Dabanton said:
I think we will at least see a GTA5 reveal this year. Though any hint of a release this year would see many big games suddenly need 'extra work' and be pushed back to 2012.

Going by Rockstar North's website, it seems like they've only started development of GTA V a couple of months ago. And they probably can't make Agent and GTA V at the same time.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
OldJadedGamer said:
Yes, and now that $299 model is $399 with a Kinect.
There's still a $299 Kinect model.

Let me put it another way. For $299 you can either get a PS3 or an Xbox 360 with Kinect. Or if you don't want Kinect you can just get a 360 for $199. That's the bottom line.

Banned
chubigans said:

Let me put it another way. For $299 you can either get a PS3 or an Xbox 360 with Kinect. Or if you don't want Kinect you can just get a 360 for $199. That's the bottom line.

Bottom line is Kinect adds $100 to the price of each bundle. It is not free as you first tried to say.

chubigans said:

Sure, but not sure why you're mentioning that it wasn't a good value with the Move and PS3 saying that it's $100 over normal retail when the Kinect is the exact same. There has always been a $100 price difference between the 360 and PS3 and the Move/Kinect didn't change that.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Karma said:
Bottom line is Kinect adds $100 to the price of each bundle. It is not free as you first tried to say.
It is in the eyes of consumers.

OldJadedGamer said:
Sure, but not sure why you're mentioning that it wasn't a good value with the Move and PS3 saying that it's $100 over normal retail when the Kinect is the exact same. There has always been a $100 price difference between the 360 and PS3 and the Move/Kinect didn't change that.
I can see what you're saying. Ok, I'll agree there.

Mindlog

I'm pretty sure Kinect has been raising the ASP on 360. However, not hearing a trumpet about YOY hardware revenue raises some uncertainty on that issue.

If true this would contradict the 'Kinect is Free' claim. Kinect would be luring consumers to the more expensive price points.

Massa

Move at $400 is a terrible price point. SCEA should have done the same as SCEE, just bundling the camera and controller with the system (no game) for $350.

chubigans said:
It is in the eyes of consumers.

Only if you assume that all consumers are idiots and don't understand the idea of physical storage. While I agree that there is a lot of stupidity in this world, you're making quite a stretch there to assume that most people can't figure out 250 GB vs 4 GB.

Mindlog said:
I'm pretty sure Kinect has been raising the ASP on 360. However, not hearing a trumpet about YOY hardware revenue raises some uncertainty on that issue.

If true this would contradict the 'Kinect is Free' claim. Kinect would be luring consumers to the more expensive price points.

More than half of the systems sold were Kinect bundles. How would it not be luring customers to the more expensive price points?

duk

Banned
this gen has legs! imagine the mandatory price drops later this year.

i dont want next gen to start til 2013 at the earliest

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Yeah, we still got price cuts plus a whole new cycle of mega games like GTA V, next Halo, Red Dead 2, plus a few other big projects that will sustain the 360/PS3 for at minimum 2 years.

GTA V and Red Dead 3 aren't locks for this gen. Rockstar will have to work way faster than normal to get them out and Activision could prize away their head talent in 2012 which could send GTA V and maybe Red Dead 3 into development hell as Rockstar would have to reorganize.

PSP software sales were $10 million (down 37%).

--- just end the damn thing lol. It's so sad the software situation in the US for the PSP

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
GTA V and Red Dead 3 aren't locks for this gen. Rockstar will have to work way faster than normal to get them out and Activision could prize away their head talent in 2012 which could send GTA V and maybe Red Dead 3 into development hell as Rockstar would have to reorganize.

If I had to guess, I would say GTA V is at least half-done already.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Another Red Dead expansion seems a lot more likely. I think GTA V depends on how long this console gen lasts.

GTA5 will be out within a year and a half, and I'm sure that Rockstar San Diego is already well into some type of production with the next game set in the Red Dead universe.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
If I had to guess, I would say GTA V is at least half-done already.
I don't know about that. I'm guessing Rockstar Norths next release is Agent, unless they have all other teams working on GTA5 simultaneously.

-Pyromaniac- said:
I don't know about that. I'm guessing Rockstar Norths next release is Agent, unless they have all other teams working on GTA5 simultaneously.

I don't think we'll see Agent that soon, if ever, but if I'm wrong on that one, then I'm obviously wrong on GTA V as well.

BishopLamont said:
Price cutting will eat into the industry's revenue even more, any increased software won't make up for the loss since the generation is winding down.
Third party publisher health has little to do with "industry" revenue. More consoles sold equals more potential software revenue. <$199 consoles would be a godsend for a lot of titles releasing this year.

SeaOfMadness said:
They were stupid for 2 reasons: 1) they essentially copied a competitor's accessory (albeit doing a better job with it overall) and 2) for better or worse, they targeted this new peripheral at their core audience, people who already own PS3s. It's obvious now that people are not buying PS3s for Move.

MS went the other direction with Kinect. The right direction it seems. Sell it to your core audience at a premium, but bundle it for cheap with new consoles and get a whole bunch of new people on your platform that would otherwise not have given it a second look before. Kinect is different enough and casual enough to appeal to "non-core" gamers unlike the Move which just isn't hitting that demographic.

It doesnt need to sell new consoles to make the move successful. The move can find its own place among existing PS3 owners. Obviously sony would love for it to sell more PS3's but it doesnt have to in order to be viable.

Top Bottom