• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2011 [Up4: Analyst Data (Lots Of Games)]

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://venturebeat.com/2011/02/17/calling-all-gamers-u-s-video-games-sales-dip-5-percent-in-january/

Video game players may have been too busy playing with their Christmas toys last month, as U.S. sales of video games fell 5 percent in January. Total sales of game hardware, PC games, console games and portables fell to $1.16 billion from $1.22 billion a year ago, according to market researcher NPD. And January a year ago was down from the year before that.

NPD said U.S. retail game hardware sales fell 8 percent to $324.0 million from $353.7 million. Game software fell 5 percent to $576.0 million from $606.8 million a year ago. Accessories were up 6 percent to $235.1 million from $222.8 million a year earlier, largely because of sales of Microsoft’s Kinect motion-sensing accessory for the Xbox 360, as well as Sony’s PlayStation Move wand-like controller.

Celine

fernoca said:
Surprises:
-LittleBigPlanet 2
-Dance Central
-DC Universe Online
-NO Epic Mickey
-NO Donkey Kong Country Returns
No Nintendo games in
NPD new shitty formatted
Top 10.

Zoe

apana said:
Why not? I thought this was a big PS3 release and the first sold well.

It didn't show up on the top 10 though, did it?

Other than that, I dunno... I just didn't see as much buzz this time around.

Wow, my tastes must be getting really divergent. It used to be that I'd own half or more of the top 10 games in a given month. This month, 0, although I'm just late in picking up Dead Space 2.

I hate the way the platforms aren't segregated, especially with games like Black Ops where they are clearly different games with the same title.

Ridley327

Kenka said:
This is this month's surprise.

I am impressed to see that no other Wii exclusive outside Just Dance has made it into the top 10.
Michael Jackson might as well be a Wii exclusive right now; I can't imagine there's much of a handheld market for him, especially on the PSP.

Easily the strangest NPD Top 10 in months!

Shocks for me:

LBP at #4
Zumba Fitness even charting
Dance Central charting this late after release
DCUO charting

I am also surprised by Michael Jackson charting again

NPD said U.S. retail game hardware sales fell 8 percent to $324.0 million from $353.7 million. Game software fell 5 percent to $576.0 million from $606.8 million a year ago. Accessories were up 6 percent to $235.1 million from $222.8 million a year earlier, largely because of sales of Microsoft’s Kinect motion-sensing accessory for the Xbox 360, as well as Sony’s PlayStation Move wand-like controller.

Does the increase in accessory money seem really low to anyone else considering how much Move and Kinect cost and how important of accessories they are?

Guevara

LBP (1) had rather poor sales the first couple months, enough anyway that there were a few articles about it.
Media Molecule’s LittleBigPlanet is not experiencing the consumer impact that Sony was hoping it would. According to a Gamasutra report, the quirky platformer sold a meager 141,000 units this November in the US. This places it outside the top 20 games sold overall and just fourth on the list of Playstation 3 titles in the month of November.

Contrast this with the 215,000 units sold in October and it appears as though Sony may have a LittleBigProblem on its hands. LBP simply isn’t selling as well as it should. The critical reception of the game has been stellar thus far. It currently has a Metacritic average of 95 out of 100.

We’re interested in your take on this. Are LBP’s low numbers attributable to the poor sales of Sony’s console in November? Does this have something to do with the zany marketing campaign for the game and how it really doesn’t speak to what LBP actually is? Also, what did I have for lunch this afternoon?
Wikipedia tells me that "SCEE President Andrew House announced at Gamescom 2010 that the game has now sold over 4.5 million worldwide", so I guess it was a slow burner.

Empty

that's the boring part, now for the slow stream of real numbers.

Majine said:
Average selling game from one year ago, not surprising it didn't get on the list.

whoosh.

edit: or not. forgot about mass effect ps3. assumed it was a joke about the thread title.

antonz

Patriotsbball5460 said:
Easily the strangest NPD Top 10 in months!

Shocks for me:

LBP at #4
Zumba Fitness even charting
Dance Central charting this late after release
DCUO charting

I am also surprised by Michael Jackson charting again
Zumba fitness is not too surprising. I saw tons of moms grabbing the wii version. I am sure the other versions did ok as well.

The new system for game reporting destroys half the fun

Guevara said:
LBP (1) had rather poor sales the first couple months, enough anyway that there were a few articles about it.

Wikipedia tells me that "SCEE President Andrew House announced at Gamescom 2010 that the game has now sold over 4.5 million worldwide", so I guess it was a slow burner.

Or that Sony overestimated demand of it so there were lots on store shelves and that they bundled it with almost everything (LBP is currently being bundled with the PS3 controller).

I'm curious how close DKCR came to the top 10. Good to see Dead Space 2 have a strong opening, it's very much deserved. Now to wait for some numbers so we can gain a little perspective.

Funny to see Zumba that high so soon. And I wasn't aware it is out on all platforms. I guess this helped a lot to rank that high. That said I know about 4 who will prolly buy it when it's available here in Europe.

software said:
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09 656.7K
MASS EFFECT 2* 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jan-10 572.1K
WII FIT PLUS W/ BALANCE BOARD* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Oct-09 555.7K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 326.7K
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 310.9K
SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 297.6K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 259.0K
ARMY OF TWO: THE 40TH DAY 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jan-10 246.5K
JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT Nov-09 191.9K
DARKSIDERS 360 THQ Jan-10 171.2k

hardware said:
PlayStation 2 41.6K
PlayStation 3 276.9K
PSP 100.1K
Xbox 360 332.8K
Wii 465.8K
Nintendo DS 422.2K

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Not sure why LBP2 charting would surprise anyone. The first game clearly sold pretty well over time and was a high quality game. Which usually results in the sequel selling far more at launch. And.. its January..

Need more numbers to make things interesting anyhow.

legend166

user_nat said:
Not sure why LBP2 charting would surprise anyone. The first game clearly sold pretty well over time and was a high quality game. Which usually results in the sequel selling far more at launch. And.. its January..

Need more numbers to make things interesting anyhow.

Yeah the reaction to it seems weird. Especially since we have no idea how much it actually sold.

Frillen

Basileus777 said:
It's January, I'm don't know what's so shocking about LBP2 charting.

Me neither. But then again, people have REALLY lowered their expectations when it comes to sales of PS3 exclusives this generation.

PSGames

I'm really impressed with Dance Central and DCO making it in the top ten. I'm mortified that Zumba Fitness is doing so well. From all accounts the game is complete shit (the Kinect version at least).

Top Bottom