• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2017 (We also have platform charts)

Jigorath

Banned
Kingdom Hearts 2.87/45 extreme keychain edtion part 2 did pretty well for a remastered 3DS game.

Kingdom Hearts III (if it ever comes out) should clean up.

Damn Tales ranked?!
I knew Yakuza 0 was a long shot but GR2 not ranking is pretty depressing.

They didn't even ranked on PSN T_T

Pinky

Banned
Love seeing RE7 at the top.

I hope Nintendo gets a little more aggressive with production of the NES Classic.

jacobeid

Banned
Gravity Rush 2? Oh...
d

Seriously :(

I even bought two copies! (One for a friend)

No Gravity Rush 2. GAF has failed me yet again.

You deserve the soulless sequels.
I did my part. =(

But I imagine Sony had realistic expectations for that game here in NA. There is a finite number of Playstation owners who would take a chance on a cartoony looking 3D action game with an unusual hook and a majority female cast.

No Gravity Rush? Sony really needed to put more marketing behind that game. I get the feeling SCEA sent it out to die.
I can only speak for myself but that demo they put out completely turned me off from ever touching the game. While I played it I thought "There's no way this moves any units."

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Seeing NMBU+NSLU on the Wii U chart made me suddenly realize that Nintendo hasn't announced a New Super Mario Bros. title for the Switch. It'll be five years since the last NSMB title come this November...I wonder when that'll come down the pipeline.

Oregano

Seeing NMBU+NSLU on the Wii U chart made me suddenly realize that Nintendo hasn't announced a New Super Mario Bros. title for the Switch. It'll be five years since the last NSMB title come this November...I wonder when that'll come down the pipeline.

We got Super Mario Maker though. I'm not sure what they'll do going forward.

PlayStation 4 was the best-selling hardware (in units sold) during January 2017.

What does bolded mean? As in revenue PS4 wasn't maybe probably kinda best selling?

Darn, was hoping at least for some blue-sky theorizing. I don't think that's untoward for an analyst. But I do get that it might be imprudent or step on toes that are better kept comfy. I sometimes curtail my own analytical flights (in a different market/ambit) for the same reason.

Eh, more like I'm not privy to those strategic decisions or backing, so not really appropriate for me to call it a strategy as I don't know if the release slate was intentional or more a result of other factors.

Now, if you ask me if focusing only (mainly) on Q4 is necessary/appropriate in 2017? No, I don't think it is. There are now enough examples of products having success with releases across all quarters that a heavy emphasis in the holiday quarter is a legacy assumption. Also, the stuff about pre-season and all that? Yeah, not a fan.

PlayStation 4 was the best-selling hardware (in units sold) during January 2017.

What does bolded mean? As in revenue PS4 wasn't maybe probably kinda best selling?

PS4 was #1 in both units and revenues. The "in units sold" was a clarifying statement from the release (the particular section was speaking to units specifically).

icespide

Banned
Gravity Rush is anything but soulless.

I really like Gravity Rush, but if I define a "soulless sequel" as a sequel that is just more of the same from the first one without any new ideas....I'd have a hard time arguing against that for Gravity Rush 2.

The sequel is very similar to the first one and has the same issues IMO

LotusHD

Banned
I really like Gravity Rush, but if I define a "soulless sequel" as a sequel that is just more of the same from the first one without any new ideas....I'd have a hard time arguing against that for Gravity Rush 2.

Even if we used your subjective definition, it did have new ideas, so...

Whatever issues people may have with the game, it being soulless should not be one of them. Hell there's people that said that the game's charm and what not is what helped them to overlook some of the game's flaws.

icespide

Banned
Even if we used your subjective definition, it did have new ideas, so...

Whatever issues people may have with the game, it being soulless should not be one of them. Hell there's people that said that the game's charm and what not is what helped them to overlook some of the game's flaws.

I guess I'm trying to thread a needle here, but I like gravity rush so this will be my last post on the matter. Specially using Gravity Rush 2 as some shining example of the opposite of a "soulless sequel" is problematic imo

LotusHD

Banned
I guess I'm trying to thread a needle here, but I like gravity rush so this will be my last post on the matter. Specially using Gravity Rush 2 as some shining example of the opposite of a "soulless sequel" is problematic imo

I mean no one used the words "shining example", or some other form of hyperbole. They pretty much just said it's not soulless and left it at that.

meirl

Banned
PS4 was #1 in both units and revenues. The "in units sold" was a clarifying statement from the release (the particular section was speaking to units specifically).

Do you know how Big the gap was between Xbox One and PS4? How much higher was the revenue and Units sold?

LotusHD

Banned
Were people really expecting much out of GR2?

You are just going to end up disappointed like Bobbin fans.

Pretty much everyone on GAF told me not to expect much for this game for like months before the game actually came out, so I for sure didn't. Obviously still stings a little though lol

Wagram

Were people really expecting much out of GR2?

You are just going to end up disappointed like Bobbin fans.

Nah. It was never going to do amazing considering they barely even advertised it. Just a shame to see a good game pass under the radar due to that.

prwxv3

Nah. It was never going to do amazing considering they barely even advertised it. Just a shame to see a good game pass under the radar due to that.

Spending money on marketing a game like this would be a waste of money. The game is viable because of its small budget (compared to games like uncharted and horizon). Sony had realistic expectations for it.

And it's not a soulless sequal lol. So much love and passion was put into that game.

Ray Down

Banned
Spending money on marketing a game like this would be a waste of money. The game is viable because of its small budget (compared to games like uncharted and horizon). Sony had realistic expectations for it.

And it's not a soulless sequal lol. So much love and passion was put into that game.

This, I know people want the series to be bigger but more market can only do so much to a niche series.

I can't say much about the game itself since I haven't bother to start it and got other games I rather finish doing stuff in. (Puzzle dungeon in XV, extra bosses in DQ8 & Yugioh PSN game)

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Gravity Rush 2 probably would have benefitted from:
1: not releasing a demo right beside the much more visually and gameplay engaging Nier Automata demo.
2: not releasing a demo, period.

I don't know anyone from my group of friends that liked it or gave it a warmer reception than Meh.

Can you tell us whether the ASP for PS4 has been up since the Pro released, or in this month at least? Interested if the premium-SKU approach is at least partially stabilizing revenue in a lowered sales period.

And how about Xbox One ASP? It's been both lower and higher than PS4 previously, what's it like now?

True. Just an observation on post holiday performance.

Thanks to the XB1S I wonder how many more months there will be of "best sales ever". Only months for the first half of the year I think won't be passed is March and June as March 2014 had Titanfall and June 2015 had the launch of the 1TB model. I think both months will see YoY growth from 2016, so that would still be a success.

Can't agree more

March 2016 was 248k for Xbox One
March 2014 was 341k for Xbox One
March 2017 will be between that for sure

June 2016 was 212k for Xbox One
June 2015 was 297k for Xbox One
June 2017 will probably be between that

every other month until July should be possible, too
Xbox One should have its best H1 sales this year and surpass 1.3 million units slightly
Ps4 top H1 sales were 1.58 million and Xbox will definitely not match that number

prwxv3

This, I know people want the series to be bigger but more market can only do so much to a niche series.

I can't say much about the game itself since I haven't bother to start it and got other games I rather finish doing stuff in. (Puzzle dungeon in XV, extra bosses in DQ8 & Yugioh PSN game)

It's a hard pull to swallow I know. I don't think Sony is going to stop making games like GR2 or TLG either. The leadership there likes to produce these games.

black070

This is simply not true, even when taking your definition of 'soulless' into account. The game is not without its issues, but to call it soulless and lacking of any new ideas is doing the sequel a massive disservice.

jrcbandit

Would Yakuza 0 been number 10 or so if they hadn't so drastically undershipped it? I really want Yakuza to succeed in the West after playing Y0, it was fantastic.

Would Yakuza 0 been number 10 or so if they hadn't so drastically undershipped it? I really want Yakuza to succeed in the West after playing Y0, it was fantastic.

Might have snuck into the top 10 for PS4 but that's largely due to the bar being low than sales being decent. No way on the combined top 10.

Top Bottom