• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

angelfly

The Sphinx said:
They probably will eventually. Right now though Wii Sports is proving to be Game of the Generation (in terms of market impact).

My guess is once they're done with Wii Sports they'll just replace it. I don't think Wii will ever be without a pack-in.

HandMeDownClown

Neo Member
GreenGlowingGoo said:
I wish Nintendo had put out a sku without any game included. They had that for the NES.
Why? WiiSports is one of the main reasons the system is selling like crazy. Bundling it with the Wii was one of the best decisions Nintendo has made in years (though not bundling it in Japan hasn't hurt one bit, strangely enough).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
HandMeDownClown said:
Why? WiiSports is one of the main reasons the system is selling like crazy. Bundling it with the Wii was one of the best decisions Nintendo has made in years (though not bundling it in Japan hasn't hurt one bit, strangely enough).

I never said instead. The NES had many different packs you could buy. I never understood why people were freaking out over MS and Sony having multiple SKUs, it's been going on for a while. The NES had that ROB one, the basic one with nothing, the one with mario/duck hunt, and that exercise running pad one.

So Nintendo could have offered a basic one. Or at least one that came with Elebits.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Coincidentally, the two Ubisoft games that actually sold on the Wii...you'll love this...are getting sequels. Wait, that's not very coincidental at all. Most people who buy a system don't give a damn who develops the game. It's no surprise that the better a Nintendo system sells, the better the third parties do. There are only so many Nintendo fans who only buy Nintendo games, and I think the GC is the worst we'll see of that in that regard. But I think we're seeing a lot of left over whiplash thanks to the abysmal final years of the GC's life. Nintendo had no momentum going into this generation. It was all created thanks to what they did with the Wii. So there's going to be a lot of third parties who just weren't on the ball. Whether they ever catch up I don't know, but I do think that the first developer to do so and create a good effort that's mass marketable will reap huge rewards.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Mgoblue201 said:
Nintendo had no momentum going into this generation. It was all created thanks to what they did with the Wii. So there's going to be a lot of third parties who just weren't on the ball.
I was holding onto the belief that third parties just got caught with their pants down and were scrambling to catch up, but at this point, I'm about ready to give up that thought. At this point, it's becoming obvious most third parties just don't want to make Wii games and are hoping the Wii will eventually just go away. I suppose we'll see how that works out for them.

Xisiqomelir

bill0527 said:
Well isn't it nice that its a 2-way street because apparently, 3rd parties don't really give a flying fuck about you either.

One assumes those 3rd parties would prefer having more rather than less money, though.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
The damndest thing about it all is that... the console I paid for least has the best potential, the one I paid for most has the least, if sales is an indication of support anyway.

Yet... I'd buy all three again dammit. I just wish the one I paid more for would recieve proportionate utility.

... well it kinda does; through sheer force of will alone. And BDs. BDs make it a worth while buy.

Mgoblue201

Link said:
I was holding onto the belief that third parties just got caught with their pants down and were scrambling to catch up, but at this point, I'm about ready to give up that thought. At this point, it's becoming obvious most third parties just don't want to make Wii games and are hoping the Wii will eventually just go away. I suppose we'll see how that works out for them.
I think it's a legitimate reason, but only for so long. Third parties had no reason to expect this kind of success and every reason to dismiss Nintendo. The GC had some early success on the third party front before the system completely collapsed, and that collapse kind of carried over to the Wii in terms of third party support. But as more time passes, blame will start to shift toward the third parties. This generation's weird though. Never before have I seen third parties so unwilling to support the market leader. I don't think they have any idea what to do anymore. At least with the PS2 you basically had a great divergence of forces, so that was where the default support went. Now what's the default console? All of them have their issues in some form. There's gonna be a lot of lines drawn in the sand.

NolbertoS

This thread needs more kittens..errr..meant GIFs..too much intelligent discussion, when some gif's are needed to break the tension of the fanboys.

xbhaskarx

Duck said:
So, let me get this straight: the 360 outsold the PS3, with the bad press about the warranty announcement, with rumors flying about a pricedrop, without a single notable game release... and the PS3 had a $100 pricedrop fire sale, with the 5 Blu-ray movies free deal.

Sony is screwed in America.

And in August the 360 gets a price cut, Madden at 60fps, and BioShock. Then Halo 3 in September. Meanwhile PS3 games get more bad reviews.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
So Nintendo could have offered a basic one.
This is the basic one. It's not as if Wii would be $200 if only they didn't have to put the game in. Every nth copy of Wii Sports costs them almost nothing, the price of a disc.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Parl said:
Japan: 335,307
Other: 360,000 (90k weeks)
US: 425,000
Canada: 36,419

World: Domination (1.16 million in 4 weeks)

Just wanted to quote this for effect, anyone doubting Nintendo's shipping forecasts should have those doubts cast away right now, that is bang on target as per this month, 1.16mil x 13 (52weeks / 4) = 15mil, so figuring for 1million extra for the holidays, they are shipping what they said they would.

Nintendomination, I never though I would see Wii>DS, truly amazing, and PS3 fails to outdo 360 even with a price cut? August is its last chance to outsell 360 this year, after that it's curtains.

Dartastic

T Ghost said:
Like I always said, on the Wii World only Nintendo is allowed to make serious money. How long will take for the 3rds to realize that fact is something that I'm really anxious to find out.

I can't wait for 3rd parties to put out some decent games for Wii, because then we'll see them sell. How they WOULDN'T sell is beyond me.

lockload

If the PS3 cant outsell the 360 in a month of a price drop it never will

The 360 is seling at twice the rate the xbox did on a month by month basis thats a good improvement concidering it include no proce drop..

Zozz

Banned
I really believe that the Wii will die down in popularity after a while, I really see it losing the casual gamers but then Nintendo and others will try hard to keep them in and begin to produce more casual friendly games then we actually need.

I'm not so happy with the Wii right now, but it will get better mostly to Nintendo games I've come to love over the years, I really don't expect much from 3rd parties at all, the only 3rd party game I'm looking forward to is FFCC:CB.

Still with a 360 and Wii this gen should be very rewarding.

Christine

I don't think that the Wii Sports pack-in will ever go away. The material portion of the cost to include it with the Wii was the revenue foregone from independent sales of the software. That opportunity has come and largely gone, in my opinion. Unless you think that Nintendo can introduce Wii Sports as a standalone title and have it succeed, there's absolutely no benefit to them in removing it from the bundle. And there's no benefit to you, either. What people asking for a bare sku really want is a price reduction, and that can happen just as easily without unbundling.

Kobun Heat said:
This is good. This is good work.

Thank you.

elostyle said:
Well if the game's pull declines, they might stop bundling it to sell other games. While not exactly the same, the SNES was initially only available with super mario world in europe and was later offered without it. Of course the cost of a card is much higher.

If Wii Sports' pull declines, removing it from the bundle won't increase the desirability of the package - dropping the price will. The difference in production cost between disc and cartridge is the major point that makes removing Wii Sports from the package unproductive. DVDs cost nothing on this scale, so removing it doesn't enable a price drop in the same way that the removal of a cartridge game did.

Dartastic

Zozz said:
I really believe that the Wii will die down in popularity after a while, I really see it losing the casual gamers but then Nintendo and others will try hard to keep them in and begin to produce more casual friendly games then we actually need.

Um, no? Wii Fit? Stuff like this will totally keep the casuals interested. Hell, friends of mine are STILL hella into Wii Sports. I'm sure Nintendo won't let them down, because they're going to continue to release titles like Wii Sports and Wii Fit at a moderate enough pace to keep normal people interested.

TwinIonEngines said:
I don't think that the Wii Sports pack-in will ever go away. The material portion of the cost to include it with the Wii was the revenue foregone from independent sales of the software. That opportunity has come and largely gone, in my opinion. Unless you think that Nintendo can introduce Wii Sports as a standalone title and have it succeed, there's absolutely no benefit to them in removing it from the bundle. And there's no benefit to you, either. What people asking for a bare sku really want is a price reduction, and that can happen just as easily without unbundling.
This is good. This is good work.

pickwick

Friday the 24th – Ubisoft (Montreuil (France)) CEO’s office (Mr Guillemot)

- Sire, we’ve just received some NPD numbers for july !
- Ok ! let me see… Wow, Wii sold very well this month !! Tell me more about the big game we’re going to release at the end of the year on Wii ?
- Huuhh… We called it « Cranium Kabooki », sir
- Cranium Kawhat ?????
- It’s a party-game, sire…
- WHAT THE HELL ? YOU KIDDING ME ?

Friday the 24th – Midway (Chicago) – CEO’s office (Mr Zucker)

- Hey, David, this is the last numbers from NPD, in NA !
- Finally ! ……….. Gasp !! Wii has performed incredibly. It’s time to invest on ! What are ou best games for the next 4 months ?
- Game party, sire !
- Ouch !! What else ?
- Cruis’n… A Wiimake from N64, sire !
- REALLY ? IS THAT ALL ?? OOH NOO NOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

Friday the 24th – EA (Redwood city) – CEO’s office (Mr Probst)

- Mr Probst, NPD send us its numbers for july !
- Yeah ? give it to me, man !! ……. Damn !! look at this ! The Wii’s very very impressive ! You know what ? I was right when I said, last year, than EA must become second developer just behind Nintendo himself !! You remember ?? ah ah ah ! I hope we’re going to have some big beautiful games to sell on wii for christmas, man ! Now I even want to beat that fucking Reggie himself on its own console ! EA will be the first developer on wii and we’re going to be richer and stronger ! AH AH AH AH AH AH !
- Well, sire….
- What ?
- Well, in fact we only have 2 new big licences on wii…
- Really ? which one ? Crysis ? Rock Band ? Army of two ??
- No sire. Smarty Pants and Playground…
- WHAAAT THE F*********CK ????

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Zozz said:
I really believe that the Wii will die down in popularity after a while

That some people still think this baffles me. After the appeal of Wii Sports dies down(which I guess is what people refer to when they think this) there will be the next thing(the big 3), and the next thing(Wii Fitness), and the next thing(Wii Music/Motorsports/Channels etc..). It was totally reasonable to think it was gonna die down a few months ago, but now?

This kind of reminds me of the NES and how every year it was supposed to suddenly stop selling and cause another industry crash, but every time it would only sell more and more.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
TwinIonEngines said:
Well if the game's pull declines, they might stop bundling it to sell other games. While not exactly the same, the SNES was initially only available with super mario world in europe and was later offered without it. Of course the cost of a card is much higher.

Mgoblue201

They could reduce the price while maintaining Wii Sports as a pack in, but I actually don't see them ever doing that. Isn't the Wii $210 in Japan without the game? They seem to be basing price on what a game traditionally sells for. But the system is selling, so there's obviously no good reason to drop the price. They've obviously made back whatever Wii Sports costs about ten fold, so now it comes down to them getting whatever they can out of it. Games generally only drop in price when there's a perceptable fall off in interest. If Nintendo perceives the console to be $200 and the game to be $50 and the consumer is more than willing to buy it, then there is no problem.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
pickwick said:
Friday the 24th – EA (Redwood city) – CEO’s office (Mr Probst)

- Mr Probst, NPD send us its numbers for july !
- Yeah ? give it to me, man !! ……. Damn !! look at this ! The Wii’s very very impressive ! You know what ? I was right when I said, last year, than EA must become second developer just behind Nintendo himself !! You remember ?? ah ah ah ! I hope we’re going to have some big beautiful games to sell on wii for christmas, man ! Now I even want to beat that fucking Reggie himself on its own console ! EA will be the first developer on wii and we’re going to be richer and stronger ! AH AH AH AH AH AH !
- Well, sire….
- What ?
- Well, in fact we only have 2 new big licences on wii…
- Really ? which one ? Crysis ? Rock Band ? Army of two ??
- No sire. Smarty Pants and Playground…
- WHAAAT THE F*********CK ????

You forgot MySims tard.

davepoobond said:
for so many consoles sold on Wii and DS, its not reflective software-wise at all.
It's like people who say this weren't around in the last 3-4 months. When there's significant software, the Wii cleans up the house, even beating the 360 in some months. All this with a 3M(at the time) deficit compared to the 360 in NA.

In Japan, and "big three" in Europe, the Wii beats the PS3/360 handily. Combined even.

Zozz

Banned
Dartastic said:
Um, no? Wii Fit? Stuff like this will totally keep the casuals interested. Hell, friends of mine are STILL hella into Wii Sports. I'm sure Nintendo won't let them down, because they're going to continue to release titles like Wii Sports and Wii Fit at a moderate enough pace to keep normal people interested.

This is one thing I don't like, if Nintendo does this, 3rd parties will also do this around the same time to get some of the cash to fund the 360/PS3 projects, I just hope it does not turn into that.

I really dislike Wiifit and Wiimusic, it promotes lazyness and lack of creativity and makes people get the warm feeling from doing the real thing but not getting the rewarding benefit.

As long as Nintendo keeps a steady flow of good titles I'm happy, I survived GC, so Wii should go smoothly. This is just my opinion no need to get things out of hand.

All we can do is predict like a bunch of blind asses but only time will tell.

Zozz said:
This is one thing I don't like, if Nintendo does this, 3rd parties will also do this around the same time to get some of the cash to fund the 360/PS3 projects, I just hope it does not turn into that.

I really dislike Wiifit and Wiimusic, it promotes lazyness and lack of creativity and makes people get the warm feeling from doing the real thing but not getting the rewarding benefit.

As long as Nintendo keeps a steady flow of good titles I'm happy, I survived GC, so Wii should go smoothly. This is just my opinion no need to get things out of hand.

All we can do is predict like a bunch of blind asses but only time will tell.
If it's so easy, why aren't Sony and Microsoft doing it?

*bam*

AniHawk said:
Hardware LTD:

360: 5.95m
Wii: 3.62m
PS3: 1.61m

NDS: 12.23m
PSP: 8.15m

PS2: 38.89m
GBA: 36.74m

Maybe an interesting point to discuss now is how the limited installed base will influence games like Halo 3, Mario Galaxy or Smash Bros.
What could be the maximum possible attach rate in the month they'll come out ?

Halo 3(September): Between 2 and 2.5 millions (Maybe 3 millions, but a 50% attach rate IS already insane, even for Halo). It'll drive Hardware' s sales. Pretty good legs in the long term.

Mario Galaxy (November):Between 1 and 1.5 millions, but STRONG sales in the long term.

Smash Bros (December): Between 1 and 2 millions, STRONG sales in the long term.

Kobun Heat said:
This is the basic one. It's not as if Wii would be $200 if only they didn't have to put the game in. Every nth copy of Wii Sports costs them almost nothing, the price of a disc.

Nintendo doesn't give out WS for free with the Wii. There is an incurred lost opportunity cost of selling the game standalone ($50).

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
August is going to have 360 > PS3 by over 100k units. Bet on it. They are selling better than ever and we haven't been able to keep the Premiums in stock!

Witness the power of Bioshock and Madden combo!

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The PS3 is doing well. It's doing better than what I expected, it's just that the 360 did a little bit better more. Sony has to work on making the PS3 look viable before they have to worry about beating the 360. I don't think small difference between their sales justifies the extreme contrast people are predicting in their futures.... The 360 outselling the PS3 11k isn't all that impressive when the Wii outsells the 360 by 255k ... they're both ****ed.

Looking at the Japan and UK charts, despite Nintendo dominating he software sales, we are already seeing a situation where 3rd parties are doing better on the Wii than either the PS3 or 360. That trend will most likely happening everywhere, it just our limit veiw of sales that hides it.

The Wii userbase has been insanely active. Last month, when MS gave the NPD totals from November thru June, I compared that information with other totals pieced together that had been given in March. Basically, in the Spring Quater the 360 only sold about 20% more software that the Wii with twice the average userbase. Furthermore, if you factor in Wii Sports software sales were almost even. I hope Sonycowboy can give us software totals for this month.

Am I the only one here who finds it a bit hypocritical for people bashing the Wii because a last-gen port (RE4) is doing well on the system when a last-gen port (GH2) is the 360's best selling game of the year?

Zozz

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
If it's so easy, why aren't Sony and Microsoft doing it?

*bam*
I never mentioned about anything being easy... but to slightly answer your dumb respond.

It's not their demographics, they are not just going to bail on the people they have built a solid establishment with, they will not draw in casuals because of how both system are being marketed as, High Quality gaming to which older people don't get. Families who care about their kids playing M and T games will look into the library and be drawn away.

$250>$379-$599 to someone that is not familiar with the market as much as those that are.

Zozz said:
I never mentioned about anything being easy... but to slightly answer your dumb respond. It's not their demographics, they are not just going to bail on the people they have built a solid establishment with, they will not draw in casuals because of how both system are being marketed as, High Quality gaming to which older people don't get. Families who care about their kids playing M and T games will look into the library and be drawn away.
I misread you. When you said laziness, I thought you said that Nintendo was being lazy.

And oh, I was totally expecting you to come back to me and respond with Singstar and Buzz, available only on the Sony Playstation 3.

AlteredBeast said:
August is going to have 360 > PS3 by over 100k units. Bet on it. They are selling better than ever and we haven't been able to keep the Premiums in stock!

Bioshock is not a true system mover but Madden will move some systems.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
titiklabingapat said:

True story swear to god, I was at a Best Buy today and was so tempted to get a 360 so I can play some Bioshock because of how hyped it is from this forum. It didn't come with an RF adapter so I decided not to
Actually reason, I need to keep this money for my friend's wedding and probably rent but damn, so tempted.
. I will probably plop down the money after my R.e.m. Reckoning tattoo is finished.

GhaleonEB

AlteredBeast said:

Any numbers from your store/district lately?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
titiklabingapat said:

I believe that you are partially wrong here...I have sold 3 360's in the last 3 days with Bioshock as the motivating (and accompanying) factor...

I don't know how it translates across the country, but I think we will see a good sized bump for August's numbers due to, not only pricedrop and Madden, but Bioshock, too.

I am trying to compile a few weeks worth before I post any. Those numbers I posted last time were all sorts of wrong, due to my lack of experience reading the printouts and the guy that printed them out's incompetence overall. :(

But, I will definitely have some numbers of substantial value over the next couple weeks.

legend166

The stupid thing about this "3rd party games don't sell on Wii" stuff is that people assume that consumers know who develops the titles they are buying.

No one goes into the store and completely ignores every Wii game except for Nintendo published stuff. They will go to established franchises, or, well marketed games. Nintendo are really the only company releasing established franchises and actually marketing their games.

Now, I don't live in America, but the only 3rd party title I can think of that has been well marketed in the US is Tiger Woods Wii. And as far as I know, that sold well.

Zozz

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
I misread you. When you said laziness, I thought you said that Nintendo was being lazy.

And oh, I was totally expecting you to come back to me and respond with Singstar and Buzz, available only on the Sony Playstation 3.

Wow I had no idea about those games, (see when you have games like Lair, MGS4, HS, RnC you tend to forget about those little ones.)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Kobun Heat said:

Wii sports was added in because Western Markets were a harder sale than japan because A: It was geared more towards the Japanese Market, and B: There were 2 competitors instead of just 1. So Nintendo had a choice. Either pack in a game and keep it at the comparable price as the Japanese, or lower the price for the western markets. They chose to put in Wii Sports which was a good choice it showcased the wiimote well. But that still doesn't stop me from wishing they'd done both.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Lol at some of the comments, the Wii has just been having great sales since it's out but some of you can't wrap their mind around it...:lol

Just to let you know : it's not because your console of choice is not "winning" the console war (stooooopid concept indeed) that you can't enjoy games on it!

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Funny enough, I talked to a 40-something who desperately was seking a Core system because she just wanted to play DDR on it. She cared nothing for the hard drive or other "doo-dads" as she called them and told me (twice) that the kids wouldn't even be touching the system when she found one. Target discontinued the Core system, she called GS and they had one, though. :p

Link

The Autumn Wind
AlteredBeast said:
Funny enough, I talked to a 40-something who desperately was seking a Core system because she just wanted to play DDR on it. She cared nothing for the hard drive or other "doo-dads" as she called them and told me (twice) that the kids wouldn't even be touching the system when she found one. Target discontinued the Core system, she called GS and they had one, though. :p
Spread the word!

Christine

RiskyChris said:
Nintendo doesn't give out WS for free with the Wii. There is an incurred lost opportunity cost of selling the game standalone ($50).

That's precisely it. So the question of "Will Nintendo introduce a Wii without Wii Sports in western markets?" reduces to "Can Nintendo sell Wii Sports as a standalone title in western markets?"

Man, I can imagine someone trying to break the PS3 numbers to a Sony exec.
"Well, the good news is that PS3 sales doubled and it beat the GBA..."

So in a comparison to the GameCube, Wii has passed what GCN had reached by the end of 2002.

I recently pointed out that Wii's January performance was the first time in years that a console sold more than 400K outside of November or December. It's even more impressive that it just happened again in July's 4 weeks rather than January's 5.
MassiveAttack said:
The PS2 # is what is truly unbelievable. 8 years old next month
Incorrect. Two months from now (October) it will be 7 years in the US. Seven months from now it will be 8 years in Japan.
Square2005 said:
Comparison graph-age.
Wii continues to be the fastest selling US console!
I know this is getting a bit ahead of things, but it might be nice to see one going through Month 15. That's the month I think Wii will fall back behind PS2, and it would be interesting to see the huge spike a few months ahead of time.
Miniboss1232 said:
Slightly cheaper? I thought it was $100 cheaper? Which is currently where the Wii/non-tard 360 is sitting at.
GCN was $100 cheaper than PS2/Xbox for the first 6 months. Throughout the generation its price difference ranged from $30-100. By percent it varied from 17-44% cheaper than the competition.
Whipped Spartan said:
Everyone else is thinking it:

Wii= PS2 xbox 360=XBOX 1 and PS3=GNC
The... the health store?
sonycowboy said:
What else would you guys like to see in terms of numbers (not the whole farm, please)

What interests you the most?
I like tie ratios. Or total software sales; same thing, depending on how many digits either goes to. Lots of number-crunching possibilities.
schuelma said:
Why do people keep saying this? (PS3 doing better than PS1/PS2)
Sony kept saying it in the first few months, so without being told otherwise it's probably stuck in a lot of minds.
Saitou said:
This is the most epic shit I've ever read since Rendezvous With Rama.
You think THIS month is exciting? NPD does everything in threes.
Kobun Heat said:
That's a bit disingenuous. Sure disc production cost isn't cheap, but that's not the way any company considers the value. Considering how Nintendo held price a secret so long, and that Wii launched for the same price as GCN in Japan, I'd not be at all surprised if they were planning on a $200 non-Wii Sports release in the US before they heard "Five hundred and ninety nine US dollars" and realized they could get away with the pack-in and still have an enormous price advantage.

AlteredBeast said:
I believe that you are partially wrong here...I have sold 3 360's in the last 3 days with Bioshock as the motivating (and accompanying) factor...

I don't know how it translates across the country, but I think we will see a good sized bump for August's numbers due to, not only pricedrop and Madden, but Bioshock, too.

I am trying to compile a few weeks worth before I post any. Those numbers I posted last time were all sorts of wrong, due to my lack of experience reading the printouts and the guy that printed them out's incompetence overall. :(

But, I will definitely have some numbers of substantial value over the next couple weeks.
I'm going to attribute the price drop as the main system mover, not Bioshock. Bioshock is just...that kind of game like Metroid Prime that is very good, too good perhaps, for the mainstream user. It's a hardcore's wetdream but it might not be accessible enough to truly cross boundaries. Plus, it's an FPS on the 360. There will be SOME movement, I agree, but they will be negligible in the long run.

Are you talking about the printouts where the 360 was doing WAY better than the Wii?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
titiklabingapat said:
Are you talking about the printouts where the 360 was doing WAY better than the Wii?

The printouts were a YTD for all systems, more or less. I read it incorrectly due to the absolutely horrible way that they are printed off... :(

Top Bottom