• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

Holy crap what the hell happened.

Microsoft and Sony better build some real tall river banks or else the mainstream will flood over and totally fuck the hardcore market over.

Devs are already getting lazy, more sales with less input = THIS. DO NOT WANT.

AlteredBeast said:
The printouts were a YTD for all systems, more or less. I read it incorrectly due to the absolutely horrible way that they are printed off... :(
Oh well, it wasn't your fault but keep the numbers coming please o.o

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I am trying to compile a months worth. The printoffs seem sporadic, but now that I am moving to a morning schedule, I can start insinuating that I want the printoffs without signalling any alarms. :)

Grecco said:
:lol Why are people killing their accounts? I just dont get it

Being Banned sucks

Simple because when someone make rules that have no sense (or that make sense only to who has done them), it is very difficult to respect them.

Example: if you say to your sons to NOT smoke, otherwise they'll punish, it is VERY likely they'll do the exact opposite of what you say.
The best strategy is: "Ok, if you wanna smoke, you ask me and I'll give you cigarettes. Just don't do it secretly." Try to believe.

Lobster

Banned
First of all I gotta say, love the new image rule. NPD results are for discussing..not posting gifs and have 10 pages of people laughing at a "legendary gif".

Wow at Wii...Nintendo must've shipped more so theres more buyers for MP3.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Zozz said:
I really believe that the Wii will die down in popularity after a while, I really see it losing the casual gamers but then Nintendo and others will try hard to keep them in and begin to produce more casual friendly games then we actually need.
I see the wii getting stronger and stronger. Its always going to be the cheapest console, its got games that are appealing to a new audience and even people who bought a PS2 or Xbox last gen are buying it now.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Despite PS3 being so far behind the wii, I think sony will be quite happy with this months sales. PS3 sales have almost doubled this month, which shows that the price cut is having a good effect.

ZeoVGM

Banned
psycho_snake said:
Despite PS3 being so far behind the wii, I think sony will be quite happy with this months sales. PS3 sales have almost doubled this month, which shows that the price cut is having a good effect.

No, it had an "okay" effect. And you think it's going to maintain? Look at the upcoming months, including this one. This was Sony's chance to make a nice showing.

psycho_snake said:
The Amazon "lead" virtually evaporated within the last week. The price drop effect will not last beyond next month's NPD.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wonder why people are suprised (?) hence the "wow @ wii numbers!" comments. If they shipped 1 million consoles in a month where maybe 1-2 Wii games get released, it would most likely still sell out ;) (in USA atleast). Arent people still waiting in line to get one over there?

EDIT: On 2nd thought, maybe people say "wow @ wii numbers!" because they are impressed, not suprised. Then i understand it because its indeed very impressive :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
JoshuaJSlone said:
That's a bit disingenuous. Sure disc production cost isn't cheap, but that's not the way any company considers the value. Considering how Nintendo held price a secret so long, and that Wii launched for the same price as GCN in Japan, I'd not be at all surprised if they were planning on a $200 non-Wii Sports release in the US before they heard "Five hundred and ninety nine US dollars" and realized they could get away with the pack-in and still have an enormous price advantage.

This is a very good point that I've mentioned in the past. People can blame Nintendo for seemingly pricing it for more than what they feel it's worth, but it's only fair to blame Sony (and MS too, I guess) for giving Nintendo the leverage.

AniHawk

Joe211 said:
okay so is it wrong to say that Nintendo will be first Sony second and MS third (I'm speaking about worldwide sales)

It might be too soon, yes, specifically with regards to second place.

maxmars

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The best strategy is: "Ok, if you wanna smoke, you ask me and I'll give you cigarettes. Just don't do it secretly." Try to believe.

That's how I started smoking. (I quit a few years ago, for the record)

I don't suppose anyone out there has Wii launch and PS2 launches aligned with NPD numbers do they, or data for first 12 months of PS2 launch? I'm trying to get an idea of how the Wii is stacking up against the PS2 sales this far into its life.

That, and some guy on another forum (who claims he follows ******** every week) needs some education. :lol

Thanks for any help.

HylianTom

Banned
norinrad21 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol 3rd parties can burn in hell and Nintendo will still continue to sell because of people like me. The Nintendo collective as whole do not give a flying f**k about 3rd parties, maybe when they learn to take notes from the trauma center teams, we might give them a chance

I agree for the most part. If you're a third-party who has shunned the Wii and your $25-million budget game for the PS3 bombs resulting in bankruptcy, then (between gaming sessions) I'm going to be here online, laughing at your own self-destruction. Perhaps developers will wisen-up and we'll see fewer Clover cases this generation? Naaah.. :|

As an added note, I'm also loving that Nintendo has done this in spite of mainstream gaming media's snobbery towards the console. Very rich. :lol

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
sionyboy said:
I don't suppose anyone out there has Wii launch and PS2 launches aligned with NPD numbers do they, or data for first 12 months of PS2 launch? I'm trying to get an idea of how the Wii is stacking up against the PS2 sales this far into its life.

That, and some guy on another forum (who claims he follows ******** every week) needs some education. :lol

Thanks for any help.
I think the Wii is at 3.6 million through nine months, the PS2 was at 3 million. The PS2 then climbed to 4 million through 12 months. Can anyone verify that I did the math correctly?

Lobster

Banned
HylianTom said:
I agree for the most part. If you're a third-party who has shunned the Wii and your $25-million budget game for the PS3 bombs resulting in bankruptcy, then (between gaming sessions) I'm going to be here online, laughing at your own self-destruction. Perhaps developers will wisen-up and we'll see fewer Clover cases this generation? Naaah.. :|

As an added note, I'm also loving that Nintendo has done this in spite of mainstream gaming media's snobbery towards the console. Very rich. :lol

It would be hilarious for the first month. Then the fact that most 3rd parties are dead won't be so funny anymore :(

radjago

AlteredBeast said:
Funny enough, I talked to a 40-something who desperately was seking a Core system because she just wanted to play DDR on it. She cared nothing for the hard drive or other "doo-dads" as she called them and told me (twice) that the kids wouldn't even be touching the system when she found one. Target discontinued the Core system, she called GS and they had one, though. :p
Has she heard of a PS2? And if so, what of the downloadable songs? Too casual to want more?

Steroyd

looks at sales

looks at which month it is

looks at sales

double checks at which month it is

looks at sales

triple checks at which month it is

Oh shit this is traditionally a slow month for consoles all round I'm scared to think that these sales could go up from September onwards.

Damn Wii.

lol 17 pages, bans, different thread for gifs...posting from PSP is far too annoying but at least it allows me to see the numbers before going to sleep. But then I wake up and I have to read 17 pages...

Wii>DS, PS2>PSP, 360>PS3...I wonder how I got to top30 predictions when I screwed the first two :lol

Oh, please post Tie Ratios! (with LTD if possible...)

Mgoblue201 said:
Wasn't the Wii in six months where the PS2 was in eight? Maybe someone else can give you exact figures.

EDIT: I think the Wii is at 3.6 million through nine months, the PS2 was at 3 million. The PS2 then climbed to 4 million through 12 months. Can anyone verify that I did the math correctly?

Through 9 months, on a monthly basis, Wii has continued to outpace ps2 and ltd through 9 months, Wii is approximately 580k ahead of ps2.

StevieP

Banned
narcosis219 said:
Microsoft and Sony better build some real tall river banks or else the mainstream will flood over and totally fuck the hardcore market over.

Microsoft and Sony, all hail the saviours of gaming!!

You know what? Let me ask you a simple question. How much did Okami sell on the PS2's 100+million userbase? And why?
I'll give you a hint: because the hardcore does, and always has, represented a tiny TINY fringe of the overall market - and last generation was no different.

Holy fuck at Wii.

Seriously, what's gonna happen when Mario and Smash are released? And then Wii Fit? Holy shit.

And I'm so glad RE4 continues to do well.

AniHawk

Alkaliine said:
Holy fuck at Wii.

Seriously, what's gonna happen when Mario and Smash are released? And then Wii Fit? Holy shit.

And I'm so glad RE4 continues to do well.

RE4 will probably hit 350k-400k in the States alone at this rate. Maybe even more. Man, it'd be great to see the game hit 4m WW (PS2/GC/Wii).

AniHawk said:
RE4 will probably hit 350k-400k in the States alone at this rate. Maybe even more. Man, it'd be great to see the game hit 4m WW (PS2/GC/Wii).

It's at, a bit over 200,000 in USA now isn't it. Factor in 100,000+ Japan sales, and also a nice lot of European sales since it's done well over there, and Capcom will easily pass their projection of 420k.

Hopefully this gives them incentive for make a RE4-like game for Wii.

Well, I'm a bit late here, I think. Glanced through earlier, but didn't really have the time...

First off, good on Wii outselling its big brother.

Next, PS3's seen a decent increase - but it was still unable to beat the X360... hm, not too good.

DS and PS2 just keep on trucking.

AniHawk

Alkaliine said:
It's at, a bit over 200,000 in USA now isn't it. Factor in 100,000+ Japan sales, and also a nice lot of European sales since it's done well over there, and Capcom will easily pass their projection of 420k.

Hopefully this gives them incentive for make a RE4-like game for Wii.

It's 244k in the US right now, and had 15,000 for its first month in Canada (if we're keeping to a constant 10% of US = Canadian sales), that's another 24k to create an NA total of nearly 270k.

AniHawk said:
Hardware LTD:

360: 5.95m
Wii: 3.62m
PS3: 1.61m

NDS: 12.23m
PSP: 8.15m

PS2: 38.89m
GBA: 36.74m
All new machines numbers look so small...I mean 360+Wii+PS3 are around GC numbers isn't it? :lol Or DS below XBOX? Also US continues to be quite multiplatform, PS2-XBOX-GC difference was the lowest of all major countries...and they seem to continue that way looking at DS-PSP and next-gen battle.

Lobster said:
Wow shit. PSP ain't doing bad at all. Must be a Europe and Japan thing..

The problem is, and has pretty much always been, the lousy software sales.

Also I just realized my current avatar is inappropriate for this thread. Curses! Oh, well, time to change it.

Jokeropia

Lobster said:
Wow shit. PSP ain't doing bad at all. Must be a Europe and Japan thing..
They were virtually neck and neck in the US when DS Lite was released shortly over a year ago.

US sales since June 2006:

NDS: 7.73m
PSP: 3.65m

theguy

Steroyd said:
looks at sales

looks at which month it is

looks at sales

double checks at which month it is

looks at sales

triple checks at which month it is

Oh shit this is traditionally a slow month for consoles all round I'm scared to think that these sales could go up from September onwards.

Damn Wii.

July is traditionally a slow month but many seem to be forgetting where we are in this lifecycle, so why the surprise? Wii results and the predictions we've all had and seen aren't science as much as they are "no shit".

The US economy worries me. Consumer pockets, especially outside of major DMA's, are shrinking. Can't make your mortgage? Why not buy a video game? I don't think so. Still, we're looking at another record breaking year no matter how you slice it.

Sony is pleased with the results

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28041

Although PS3 sales still behind Xbox 360

SCEA's analyst relations manager Mariam Sughayer has said the company is "very pleased" with the recent NPD sales figures for July - although sales of the PS3 still lag behind Microsoft's Xbox 360 console.

Earlier this month industry analysts weighed in with sale predictions, incorrectly expecting the PlayStation 3 to outsell the Xbox 360 for the first time since release in North America.

The PlayStation 3 sold 159,000 units in July, with Microsoft selling 170,000 Xbox 360 units. July was the first month that the recent USD 100 price cut on the PS3 would have been reflected in the data.

"From a PlayStation perspective, coming out of E3 we were really anticipating a good reaction to our new hardware pricing announced on July 9, and we were obviously very pleased to see that PS3 sales increased with 159,000 units sold at retail, which puts us up 61 per cent over June numbers," said Sughayer in the PlayStation.blog.

Sughayer believes that the price cut helped boost sales, aided by the building anticipation of new software due before Christmas.

"While I think a lot of that had to do with the new price, I also think there is a great deal of anticipation for the line up of games just around the corner."

"In fact, September should be definitely be a big month for us when you add in the launch of the new slimmer, lighter PSP," she added.

LOcKY

didn't i say early on in this Thread that Sony PR Statements never include the word Nintendo or Wii or DS at all.

The Question is.... did people buy enough games with their NEW ps3 to offset the loss they are making for each console sold

AniHawk said:
I doubt it.
They're deluding themselves, they're going to try and remain at $499 until Ratchet, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword have dropped then lean on Metal Gear Solid 4.

In the new year though, most people are in debt from Christmas and not looking to make major purchases.

besada

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:

So we can't even smoke in NPD threads now, c'mon!

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectations you see."
Nobuyuki Oneda Sony's CFO.

And this just further proves to me that the industry has been turned on its head. The question is, which third party developers will right themselves so they can breathe above water.

Top Bottom