• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

oo Kosma oo said:
I just bought Strikers for my Wii and the online is good. If that's how Nintendo is going to implement it I'm ok, voice chat would be nice though. And this coming from a former 360 owner that is used to XBL.
Damn, I didn't even know Strikers was online. That's pretty cool. The one on Gamecube is pretty fun.

hink that definately helps with games for the 360. People see all their friends playing a game and they want it, but I still think Wii is the game system everyone knows about.
Yea, seems to be the case overall. Among my college-aged, male demographic I think 360is definitely the system of choice, though. At least in America. Or maybe that's just my group of friends.

Gio_CoD

Banned
I'm glad to see the classic controller is selling well, as hopefully it'll become pretty commonplace to contain a CC control option for more "traditional" games on the Wii.

And holy shit at Wii Play being number 3.

HylianTom

Banned
With Martha and her Wii cake on the cover of Wired, the New York Times and other major outlets writing stories about the Wii, etc etc.. it's as though Nintendo just had a TON of free mainstream advertising handed to them over the summer. And the thing is, this advertising helped to fuel the Wii to major sales in July, which will likely spur another round of mainstream media coverage - right into the holiday shopping season.

I don't see how the cycle stops.. especially with the releases of its major games coming soon.

(and a note: thanks, sonycowboy!)

HylianTom said:
With Martha and her Wii cake on the cover of Wired, the New York Times and other major outlets writing stories about the Wii, etc etc.. it's as though Nintendo just had a TON of free mainstream advertising handed to them over the summer. And the thing is, this advertising helped to fuel the Wii to major sales in July, which will likely spur another round of mainstream media coverage - right into the holiday shopping season.

I don't see how the cycle stops.. especially with the releases of its major games coming soon.
It stops with third-parties declaring bankruptcy.

I don't understand that "PS3 RIP" thing. PS3 is selling 10% less than X360 in the US... a 300% more in Europe and a 1,000% more in Japan. For me is FAR more "RIP" X360 than PS3...

Acosta

Thanks for the charts Soncowboy and NPD.

Best news for me is that Overlord keep being at Top 10, hope they are successful because they really deserve it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
HylianTom said:

(and a note: thanks, sonycowboy!)

It's really been driving the Wii sales since forever. I remember reading a WSJ article a little while before the release "picking" the Wii over the PS3 and touting all of its talking points (low price, family friendly, etc.) and it was really clear what we were in for, and there were tons of similar articles at the time. Getting the mainstream press interested is huge.

Vaandaviii said:
I don't understand that "PS3 RIP" thing. PS3 is selling 10% less than X360 in the US... a 300% more in Europe and a 1,000% more in Japan. For me is FAR more "RIP" X360 than PS3...

Software sales.

Vaandaviii said:

how does that even make sense

X360 is gonna remain cheaper than PS3 for a decent amount of time

Parl

Vaandaviii said:

I agree. PS3 is selling 60% less than Wii in the west, 70% less in the east. But PS3 is selling 12,000% more in Uganda.

sonycowboy said:
Top 10 360
LAST RELEASE
MONTH RANK TITLE PUBLISHER DATE

3 6 THE DARKNESS TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Jun-07
8 7 OVERLORD CODEMASTERS Jun-07
10 8 GEARS OF WAR* MICROSOFT Nov-06

Great job for Overlord and Darkness. They deserve it. And still seeing Gears here is great, how many copies did it sell so far? 5 million yet?

6 9 DIRT CODEMASTERS Jun-07
1 10 FORZA MOTORSPORT 2 MICROSOFT May-07

Uhh.. Forza 2 getting owned by Dirt. PGR4 will destroy Forza 2's sales. I'd pity Turn 10, but then they made all the wrong design choices. No wonder..

besada

Banned
Vaandaviii said:

Then scroll back in the thread where this has been answered about twenty times.

Vaandaviii said:
Yes, but only one of those two is 7 million units behind, worldwide. If JoshJSlone is watching, maybe he can do one of those keen "How long would it take X to catch up to Y at current rates" thing for WW PS3 vs 360.

Xavien

Vaandaviii said:

A) Software Sales

B) 10 Million Units (it will take one hell of a long time for the PS3 to catch up 6 Million Units at the rate it is outselling the 360 worldwide).

I really think a side effect of Nintendo packing in Wii Sports here is that people have too heavily discounted its appeal.

I mean essentially, the fact that people don't have a choice whether or not they get Wii Sports doesn't mean they wouldn't choose to get Wii Sports. I think an unwillingness to accept that is the only reason to be baffled by Wii's sales.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, but only one of those two is 7 million units behind, worldwide. If JoshJSlone is watching, maybe he can do one of those keen "How long would it take X to catch up to Y at current rates" thing for WW PS3 vs 360.

Not to mention the software sales, software sales, software sales.

Vaandaviii said:

1. Software sales suck. Alas, 3rd parties are bailing out.

2. 10% in the US >> 300% in Europe and 1000% in Japan. Last I checked 360's lead in US was 5 times PS3's lead in EU and Japan combined.

3. 10 million lead that simply keeps getting bigger.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
MPW said:
633234533416605695.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/users/Soulr...=convert&om_clk=soapbox&tag=soapbox;subject;1

Just how long has the 360 been at 10M now? I remember WW sales of the 360 being at 10M back in Dec of 06. 0_o

tahrikmili said:
Great job for Overlord and Darkness. They deserve it. And still seeing Gears here is great, how many copies did it sell so far? 5 million yet?

Uhh.. Forza 2 getting owned by Dirt. PGR4 will destroy Forza 2's sales. I'd pity Turn 10, but then they made all the wrong design choices. No wonder..

Of course, Dirt never made the top 10, and Forza sold nearly 500k before dropping out, so it was hardly 'owned'. Forza probably already passed PGR 2 and PGR3's LTD, the series isn't that popular.

What design decisions might those be? Graphics?

Edit: And Sony fans, don't get it twisted, the 360 userbase in Europe is still roughly 2.5x the PS3 userbase.

jjasper

Kifimbo said:
Wow at PSP top 10. Four 2005 titles in the top 10 ? New games aren't selling...

Those are probably $19.99, something people are willing to pay for a handheld game opposed to the $39.99 cost of new releases. I know I pass on a lot of PSP titles when they first come out because $40 is just way too much for a handheld game just to pick them up later when they are greatest hits. Did it with Daxter, Syphon Filter, GTA, probably some more too.

indie85

Banned
wii:
us - 425,000
ca - 36,419
ja - 335,307
Germany-26,000
total - 822726

ps3:
us - 159,000
ca - 15,037
ja - 78,798
Germany-8000
total - 260835

x360:
us - 170,000
ca - 13,119
ja - 12,169
Germany-5000
total - 200,288

end the ps3 is dead smuck in this thread

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Of course, Dirt never made the top 10, and Forza sold nearly 500k before dropping out, so it was hardly 'owned'. Forza probably already passed PGR 2 and PGR3's LTD, the series isn't that popular.

What design decisions might those be? Graphics?

PGR2, probably. PGR3? I sincerely doubt that's possible at all. EVERYONE I know currently owns a copy of that, it has been the defacto racer to get for the 360 since day one, and everyone bought one.. Anyone have LTD numbers for PGR3?

Mediocre graphics, no cockpit cam, too much emphasis on a useless minigame like the livery editor.

traveler

Not Wario
Here's the thing about all the DS/Wii comparisions; the DS didn't take off at first. It wasn't even until it gained a quality lineup starting at the end of the summer following launch did we see the sales pickup. I think everyone will agree, however, that the Wii's lineup is anything but stellar. So, why are they buying and will this holiday's big three even make a difference amongst the casuals in terms of sales? (The line of thought here being that if the system sells itself without software, do the masses even care about it or are they simply buying it because of the controller/advertising/word of mouth/etc.?)

dark10x said:
I just can't believe how well the Wii is selling.

Why the fuck does everyone like it so damn much? I just don't get it!Ah well, nothing I can do about it. At least 2007 is the last "hurrah" of what was to become the "next generation".

PS3 is completely dead, but 360 should hold on for a while longer.

1) price this is the main reason. The price just appeals to a whole different group of people. The system is seen as more as a Toy to get your 3 year old.

2) Novelty factor.

indie85 said:
what the FUCK would that proove?
As of july, ps3 is outselling x360, that is all.

ACtually, even with a price cut it's only barely ahead. 60K a month will NOT close a multimillion lead.

August is 360 price cut, September is Halo 3, the rest is holiday season. PS3 is getting raped until the year is over.. Sorry.

Vaandaviii said:

10% less than 360 on the month of a $100 price cut on PS3 with free stuff vs 360 PR disaster and the 360 still selling at launch price with price cut rumours abound.

300% more than 360 if you start counting from the PS3 launch, which is a silly comparison as launch sales are always high.

The 360 is dead in Japan, but the PS3 is also still massively under-performing there too.

more wii software in the top 20 than xbox 360 software... with RE4 showing that even a decent 3rd party port can perform.

third party publishers take note. it's all to play for. if you make games as appealing as the nintendo ones, *people will buy them*.

here's an honest question.

do we know if NCAA canabalises Madden sales at all? or is it basically a given that if someone buys NCAA they're going to buy Madden?

i only ask cause i know some people have bets riding on the PS3 vs Wii Madden sales... and i'm wondering how much the lack of NCAA and All Pro on the Wii may help the Wii Madden sales.

indie85 said:
what the FUCK would that prove?
As of March 05, PSP is outselling DS, that is all.

Fixed for great justice. You don't think LTD has any bearing at all on what games are coming to what console? Or that the 360 won't outsell the PS3 by at least 100k a month starting in August in those same regions you selectively listed?

Does anyone have NCAA vs Madden sales for PS2/Xbox/360 last year? From what I remember Madden always does way, way better.

Sadly, this will probably be the last year of 2k football (at least at full price) given the abysmal sales of APF. Just not worth making a game without a license.

indie85

Banned
tahrikmili said:
ACtually, even with a price cut it's only barely ahead. 60K a month will NOT close a multimillion lead.

August is 360 price cut, September is Halo 3, the rest is holiday season. PS3 is getting raped until the year is over.. Sorry.
warg warg warg. only 60k blah blah. Yes, we shall see what happens in the future, but as of now ps3 is outselling x360.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
indie85 said:
wii:
us - 425,000
ca - 36,419
ja - 335,307
Germany-26,000
total - 822726

ps3:
us - 159,000
ca - 15,037
ja - 78,798
Germany-8000
total - 260835

x360:
us - 170,000
ca - 13,119
ja - 12,169
Germany-5000
total - 200,288

end the ps3 is dead smuck in this thread
What the hell is "ja"? Jamaica? Jakarta?

plagiarize said:
more wii software in the top 20 than xbox 360 software... with RE4 showing that even a decent 3rd party port can perform.

third party publishers take note. it's all to play for. if you make games as appealing as the nintendo ones, *people will buy them*.

here's an honest question.

do we know if NCAA canabalises Madden sales at all? or is it basically a given that if someone buys NCAA they're going to buy Madden?

i only ask cause i know some people have bets riding on the PS3 vs Wii Madden sales... and i'm wondering how much the lack of NCAA and All Pro on the Wii may help the Wii Madden sales.

They are taking note. All 360 games in the top 20 are 3rd party

Looks like DS is inheriting the kiddie GBA audience more than anything, in America. Wtf is Hannah Montana doing there at all, let alone a year after release?

besada

Banned
indie85 said:
what the FUCK would that proove?
As of july, ps3 is outselling x360, that is all.

The LTD numbers are why the swan song is being sung. What it would prove is that Sony is waaaaay behind everyone, and just barely outselling the 360 one month out of its lifetime isn't enough to reverse what is an obvious trend to most people.

But hey, I understand this is a tough time for you. Here's a *hug*.

Top Bottom