• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

indie85

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Fixed for great justice. You don't think LTD has any bearing at all on what games are coming to what console? Or that the 360 won't outsell the PS3 by at least 100k a month starting in August in those same regions you selectively listed?
wow, yep great. just pull another one right out of your ass why dont you? I simply stated that ps3 is now outselling x360, thus to drop the ps3 is dead smuck. I made no other point.

botticus

Hopefully people are okay with Wii software numbers now, given that there are 5 titles in the top 20 (compared to 4 for 360 and PS2, 2 for PS3), same as DS. Leaving no room for PSP.

Epiphyte

traveler said:
Here's the thing about all the DS/Wii comparisions; the DS didn't take off at first. It wasn't even until it gained a quality lineup starting at the end of the summer following launch did we see the sales pickup. I think everyone will agree, however, that the Wii's lineup is anything but stellar. So, why are they buying and will this holiday's big three even make a difference amongst the casuals in terms of sales? (The line of thought here being that if the system sells itself without software, do the masses even care about it or are they simply buying it because of the controller/advertising/word of mouth/etc.?)
Because the Wii had its Nintendogs packed right in the box.

There hasn't been this potent a system seller packed in since Super Mario Bros on the NES.

indie85

Banned
besada said:
The LTD numbers are why the swan song is being sung. What it would prove is that Sony is waaaaay behind everyone, and just barely outselling the 360 one month out of its lifetime isn't enough to reverse what is an obvious trend to most people.

But hey, I understand this is a tough time for you. Here's a *hug*.
see post above.

sankao

It's great to see that Overlord is hovering in there. The devs have had great ideas.
I hope the sales justify a great next game, that will not have to be rushed this time.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Pureauthor said:
Did you really need someone to tell you that it means Japan?
LOL, whoops. i r dumb. I thought jp was listed seperate from that on a cursory glance.

indie85 said:
what the FUCK would that proove?
As of july, ps3 is outselling x360, that is all.

If you leave out UK numbers, and if you ignore that it had a major game release in Japan and a price cut in the US, and that 360 is getting a price drop next month and even bigger games on a worldwide basis in the coming months.

Your little snapshot only proves that Sony's epic $100 price drop, the only one they're likely to see for at least another 8 months, wasn't even enough to smidge past 360 in the US. And it still has a loooong hill to climb in the US and Europe.

PS3 sales will not typically look like July's, when 360 had bad reliability press and PS3 had a price cut and 5 free Blu Ray movies.

This is like waiting for your opponent to hit the pit stop in a race and declare yourself winner for the 90 seconds it takes for him to get back on the track.

indie85 said:
what the FUCK would that proove?
As of july, ps3 is outselling x360, that is all.

It would prove just how long it will take PS3 to even meet 360, let alone exceed it, if it can only inch past by 60,000 units in its strongest month since launch.

Never mind software sales.

360 is not in dire straits here. PS3 isn't totally fucked either, but you're ridiculous if you think 360 is in worse shape.

ex0du5

Banned
caturday.jpg

indie85

Banned
besada said:
Yeah, saw it and it made me sad for you.

Seriously, hug?
No, I think i made my point clear enough, ps3 is as of july outselling x360, ps3 is not dead. Im sad you cant comprehend that.

Dont patronise me :btw

indie85

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
If you leave out UK numbers, and if you ignore that it had a major game release in Japan and a price cut in the US, and that 360 is getting a price drop next month and even bigger games on a worldwide basis in the coming months.

Your little snapshot only proves that Sony's epic $100 price drop, the only one they're likely to see for at least another 8 months, wasn't even enough to smidge past 360 in the US. And it still has a loooong hill to climb in the US and Europe.

PS3 sales will not typically look like July's, when 360 had bad reliability press and PS3 had a price cut and 5 free Blu Ray movies.

This is like waiting for your opponent to hit the pit stop in a race and declare yourself winner for the 90 seconds it takes for him to get back on the track.
Yeah, if you make all sorts of excuses you can spin anything! ^^

iceberg187 said:
They are taking note. All 360 games in the top 20 are 3rd party
so they have time machines? they started making those games a year ago because they'd seen the july NPD results? amazing.

my point was, hey look, *good* games sell on the Wii. unless you're arguing that the wii is only being bought by 'nintendo fanboys' do you really think that people are paying attention to who made the game and deciding to buy it based on that, rather than deciding to buy it based on whether or not it's any good?

we saw the same thing in early DS sales. nintendo dominated early on until other developers started taking note of what nintendo were doing and started treating the system seriously. they were able to get a slice of the sales... and things are much more balanced *now*.

you really think third parties see nintendo making tonnes of money from software on the system and go 'oh well. we'll never be able to sell games because we aren't first party!'?

indie85 said:
Yeah, if you make all sorts of excuses you can spin anything! ^^

What excuses? It is a fact that this was the most favorable month PS3 had versus 360, and looking at future months, there won't be another one like it.

You are the one choosing to ignore:

-That Japan won't see a release that propels hardware sales like Hot Shots Golf in Japan on a monthly basis.
-That PS3 won't have 5 free Blu Rays in America on a monthly basis
-That 360 reliability press will never be as bad as it was in July.
-That the month of a price drop is likely to be the HIGHEST non-holiday month of the year for any console, and sales will find an equilibrium below that month's sales.
-That 360 is getting a price drop next month.
-That 360 still has an insanely large worldwide lead.
-360's strongest European market.

No one is saying PS3 didn't do better in July than it did before. But the fact is that unless you view July as some kind of mythical frozen snapshot in time, PS3 did not do well enough to pull itself appreciably out of its skid.

If you want to evaluate the 3 consoles as being made by 3 anonymous hardware makers, the PS3 is doing ok.

But the reality is that obviously the expectations were much higher for the PS3. And every single person understood that (including Sony itself) until it had to be put to the test.

They're holding steady at #3. If you made that prediction here a year ago (even after the prices for all 3 systems were known), at best you would have been mocked mercilessly, if not banned.

I mean those numbes are great for a company that has no clue what they're doing. But not for a company that should know what it's doing.

Zonar

Thanks SonyCowboy for lifting the Ban. I never post in NPD threads (this will be my first and probably only) but I always come for the .gifs
RagnarokX said:
huff huff... this took a while to make :p

robowiigif.gif
MrPing1000 said:
Here you go sp0rsk, that took a stupidly long time to do ha.

10million.gif
Thanks again.

FitzOfRage said:
If you want to evaluate the 3 consoles as being made by 3 anonymous hardware makers, the PS3 is doing ok.

But the reality is that obviously the expectations were much higher for the PS3. And every single person understood that (including Sony itself) until it had to be put to the test.

They're holding steady at #3. If you made that predition here a year ago (even after the prices for all 3 systems were known), at best you would have been mocked mercilessly, if not banned.

I mean those numbes are great for a company that has no clue what they're doing. But not for a company that should know what it's doing.

After E3 I was predicting that PS3 would have outsold 360's LTD by the middle of summer 2007, and Sony fanboys were yelling at me for saying it'd take that long.

indie85 said:
just dont do it, its rude.

AdmiralV- I just see more excuses dude!

That's because you are a fanboy.

Do you honestly think it's the case that July is indicative of a trend? Because everything points against that. The 360's price drop in August ALONE is enough to demonstrate that July is not the point where a new trend is established.

Many of July's PS3-favorable variables were July-only, and many new anti-PS3 variables will be introduced in the coming months. We'll see how it all shakes out after the holidays, but to imply that 360 is somehow the one that's in a quagmire right now based purely on one month of sales is ridiculous.

Jokeropia

Kabuki Waq said:
1) price this is the main reason. The price just appeals to a whole different group of people. The system is seen as more as a Toy to get your 3 year old.

2) Novelty factor.
:lol

All three consoles are gaming machines, one of them simply has a lot more appeal than the other two. Tough for you to handle I know, but that doesn't change the facts.

AdmiralViscen said:
After E3 I was predicting that PS3 would have outsold 360's LTD by the middle of summer 2007, and Sony fanboys were yelling at me for saying it'd take that long.
i remember those days.

here we are 9 months in and sony haven't been able to make a dent in microsoft's head start in america.

who knew?

indie85 said:
AdmiralV- I just see more excuses dude!

I don't think you understand the way things work here.

Admiral Viscen (someone whom, I might add, has far more credibility on NeoGAF than you), has raised several very valid counterpoints to your argument. You either shut up, or you counter them, not spew 'excuses LOL' at him.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
AdmiralViscen said:
Looks like DS is inheriting the kiddie GBA audience more than anything, in America. Wtf is Hannah Montana doing there at all, let alone a year after release?
because people are just finally realizing it's a decent game.. not to mention the ever growing popularity of the show.

indie85

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
That's because you are a fanboy.

Do you honestly think it's the case that July is indicative of a trend? Because everything points against that. The 360's price drop in August ALONE is enough to demonstrate that July is not the point where a new trend is established.

Many of July's PS3-favorable variables were July-only, and many new anti-PS3 variables will be introduced in the coming months. We'll see how it all shakes out after the holidays, but to imply that 360 is somehow the one that's in a quagmire right now based purely on one month of sales is ridiculous.
Whos the fanboy? Im not the one making excuses that X360 got outsold last month, and you wont see me here making excuses for ps3 if it fails to sell more than x360 in August. It is what it is, I just leave it at that. Again I repeat, I posted to end the PS3 is dead smuck, that is all.

One quick thing

If the ps3 is not outselling the 360...

who

cares

It is still selling more than enough to keep the support it needs. Sure it may be the gamecube of this generation, but hot damn, people will need those first party titles. And sony is making money in the games industry (thank you ps2). I know I will need a ps3 for MGS4, which I have to play. Also LBP looks amazing.

seriously, people need to calm down. These results aren't really that surprising (except for the Wii of course)

I am still boggled at how a games console sold 450k + in JULY

voltron

besada said:
The LTD numbers are why the swan song is being sung. What it would prove is that Sony is waaaaay behind everyone, and just barely outselling the 360 one month out of its lifetime isn't enough to reverse what is an obvious trend to most people.

But hey, I understand this is a tough time for you. Here's a *hug*.

/confused

You guys must be referring to world-wide sales not just North America right? Because PS3 didnt outsell 360 in July...

indie85 said:
Whos the fanboy? Im not the one making excuses that X360 got outsold last month, and you wont see me here making excuses for ps3 if it fails to sell more than x360 in August. It is what it is, I just leave it at that. Again I repeat, I posted to end the PS3 is dead smuck, that is all.

What you fail to grasp is that 360 in July was demonstrating a less than impressive trend, while PS3 was demonstrating a less than impressive crest. PS3 will only decline from this crest, while 360 will only improve from this trend with a price drop and Halo 3 in concurrent months.

You want to just keep repeating that PS3 outsold 360 in July like a myna bird, and you don't want to move the discussion beyond that because you know you can't win anything beyond that. Yes, PS3 outsold 360 in July worldwide. OK? Can we talk about what that means in the grand scheme of things, or must we simply revel in the glory of this victory?

BTW, "PS3 beat 360 in July" does not parse into "PS3 is not dead." It parses into "PS3 is not dead in July." There we can agree. We'd also have to define "dead" though. These sort of sales were "dead" when it was GameCube, I'm not sure what it is for you now that PS3 is experiencing them. I prefer to call it "perennial third place."

Razoric

Banned
voltron said:
/confused

You guys must be referring to world-wide sales not just North America right? Because PS3 didnt outsell 360 in July...

Sony fanboys have shifted the argument to worldwide sales instead of just NPD.

besada

Banned
voltron said:
/confused

indie85 came in to tell us to quit picking on the PS3 because it outsold the 360 this month. Of course he means WW, which is a little out of place in an NPD thread, but we're afraid if we tell him he might do something rash.

Good point, why are we discussing worldwide in an NPD thread?

I guess indie is bringing in irrelevant data to make excuses for PS3's poor NPD performance! :lol But don't bring in something irrelevant like install base or a 360 price cut in response!

dionysus

Yaldog
Hi, sales-age lurker here. These threads only discuss software sales in the North Americas, EU, and Japan. There is a large and becoming increasingly wealthy world population (especially Russia, China, and South Korea) that probably buys these consoles. Is piracy so rampant that even considering these countries software sales is futile as its next to zero? I mean we are discounting something like 5 billion people as being unimportant. I know that most of those 5 billion people are to poor to even think about making a gaming purchase, but even a small percentage of 5 billion is alot of people. So my question is piracy completely wiping out even that small percent of 5 billion?

Also, piracy and IP violations are becoming very high profile issues in foreign trade and foreign diplomacy. So even if the gaming markets in the traditional zones decline or stagnate, I can see explosive growth in the long term, but not in the near term, due to piracy becoming increasingly marginalized in areas where it is currently dominant.

indie85

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Yes, PS3 outsold 360 in July worldwide. OK?.
Thats the only point I was trying to make, nothing more, nothing less.

I'll leave the mystic meg duties to you guys, I've got better things to do than become forum Patchers.

dionysus said:
Hi, sales-age lurker here. These threads only discuss software sales in the North Americas, EU, and Japan. There is a large and becoming increasingly wealthy world population (especially Russia, China, and South Korea) that probably buys these consoles. Is piracy so rampant that even considering these countries software sales is futile as its next to zero? I mean we are discounting something like 5 billion people as being unimportant. I know that most of those 5 billion people are to poor to even think about making a gaming purchase, but even a small percentage of 5 billion is alot of people. So my question is piracy completely wiping out even that small percent of 5 billion?

Also, piracy and IP violations are becoming very high profile issues in foreign trade and foreign diplomacy. So even if the gaming markets in the traditional zones decline or stagnate, I can see explosive growth in the long term, but not in the near term, due to piracy becoming increasingly marginalized in areas where it is currently dominant.

Quarterly shipment info from manufacturers shows just how small sales outside of the three major regions are. No one tracks them though, so you don't talk about them until you see the hard info like I just described.

indie85 said:
Thats the only point I was trying to make, nothing more, nothing less.

I'll leave the mystic meg duties to you guys, I've got better things to do than become forum Patchers.

You don't need to 'make a point' that can be clearly read in the OP of this and the MC thread.

BTW if I did you the honor of responding to your off-topic worldwide talk, do me the honor of responding to my silly userbase talk, and the thousand other points I've raised that you've selectively quoted to avoid having to stand up for yourself.

Go have fun though LOL I'm glad you were able to get a machine to make all these zippy one liners for you while you fucked bitches and drove fast cars.

dionysus said:

Can't speak for Russia et al, but in vast parts of Asia? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if total software sales didn't break 5 digits. :p

Piracy rules here - the logic is that there's no reason to pay 50 dollars (or whatever) for a piece of software when you can either download it or get it for a dollar as some corner store.

Kosma

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
Damn, I didn't even know Strikers was online. That's pretty cool. The one on Gamecube is pretty fun.

Not only online, but leaderboards too. So it's not as barren as most people think.

Hopefully they'll do the same for Smash and Battalion Wars and all future online games. Also if Nintendo would be so kind to make a Metroid Hunters online fragfest I'd be pleased.

indie85

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
You don't need to 'make a point'
I felt it needed to be made because people were spousing PS3 is dead.

Im sorry it seems to have wound you up, I guess you want ps3 dead really bad hu?

Neomoto

Holy shit, I missed all news yesterday and I just seen the numbers.. Wii will be marketleader imo. Selling roughly a fucking million in a summer month, man.. It's going to do some incredible things this coming holiday.. records will be broken everywhere. Pretty good software sales. Wow at ps3 not selling more than 360 with a large price cut, better luck (early?) next year I suppose. :)

besada

Banned
indie85 said:

The problem is that your point had nothing to do with the future life quality or span of the PS3, and when you were called on it you suddenly didn't want to discuss anything else. You don't refute a running trainwreck by saying "Hey, on this stretch of track the wheels were actually touching".

indie85 said:

Im sorry it seems to have wound you up, I guess you want ps3 dead really bad hu?

OK, but you haven't proven that PS3 is not dead. Only that it twitched in July.

I guess you missed my post where I said I had predicted PS3 to be worldwide market leader by now.

I guess I get 'wound up' by intellectually dishonest people who can't defend their own points, or even respond to their opponent's whole post.

Shouldn't you be off having fun by now?

indie85 said:

Because... well, from all indications, it pretty much is.

July is pretty much one of those dying throes - PS3 will probably have another come MGS4 or FFXIII.

BTW indie I never said it was dead. I don't know who was actually calling it DEAD when you showed up. But it's certainly blowing its chance at second place, which is not such a high bar in the first place. That's all I've ever said about PS3.

besada said:
indie85 came in to tell us to quit picking on the PS3 because it outsold the 360 this month. Of course he means WW, which is a little out of place in an NPD thread, but we're afraid if we tell him he might do something rash.

Well he doesn't actually mean worldwide anyway, because he doesn't really have worldwide numbers.

Top Bottom