• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2014 [Up1: 3DS LTDs, Wii U LTDs, Tomodachi]

That's odd. I thought it would be like

1. Luigi death stare (wiiu)
2. Treehouse stream (wiiu)
3. Firmware update
4. Watchdoge

PM7N6Tg.jpg

LEAKED SALES FIGURES

God damn Y2Kev being so cold.

PS360vsPS4XB1_201407.png

This graph is the one I'm watching. I think if PS4 + XB1 >= PS360 totals pubs will be happy.

XB1 is going to show notable decline form 360. Its up to the PS4 is save this situation.

Foshy

Reposting for new page.

I agree. Here's what I get for numbers from that.

PS4 - 135 degrees = 187K (basis)
WIU - 58.1 degrees = 80.5K (matches)
XB1 - 94.6 degrees = 131K (matches)
PS3 - 23.4 degrees = 32.4K
WII - 10 degrees = 13.9K
360 - 38.9 degrees = 53.9K

Or

1. PS4 - 187K
2. XB1 - 131K
3. 3DS (probably)
4. Wii U - 80.5K
5. 360 - 53.9K
6. PS3 - 32.4K
7. PSV - 16K
8. Wii - 13.9K

What if it's this?
jlr874jq28z3i85j9p.png

Would PS3 be unrealistically small?

Xbox family < PS4

ibhA0wOn4ewzvz.gif

Man, and this is supposedly the strongest market for Xbox. How the mighty have fallen.

It will take some extreme measures from MS to change the course now. Destiny has potential to be really big for PS4 when it comes to some of the ''softcore'' that are not quite in the early adopter crowd. While I feel that MCC is the kinda game that many looking foreward to it already own the XBO. At this point it feels like MS is just giving up until the holidays next year when Halo 5 (supposedly) and Tomb Raider hit. I guess that is the most opportune time to push the system hard with pricecuts and heavy marketing but that is over a year off...

Man I feel so bad for some of the guys at Xbox team. From the stuff told by the insiders there was (not surprisingly) many who opposed for the mess that was the direction XBO went and now that they have changed the course they are stuck with the box that was not designed to do battle in the way XBO+PS4 are doing. I really hope MS sticks to the business cause I have a feeling the next gen Xbox will be something incredible.

Game Guru

Overall console hardware is well down generation on generation, I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. The front loaded start that the PS4 and Bone got has masked this until now, I think Destiny will paper over a few cracks for the PS4 in September as well, but the Wii went supernova during Nov/Dec 2007, I don't think the PS4 will keep up.

You know... How can we be so sure PS4 won't go supernova during Nov/Dec 2014 since it'd be the PS4's first real Black Friday and Christmas in stock and being pretty much the only new console that matters to most people? So far, total sales for the PS4 have been inline with PS2 and Wii with the one noticeable difference being frontloaded sales and crappier sales in the middle of summer. It is fully possible that this frontloadedness compared to the PS2 and Wii is because we are now in a post-Foxconn world in that manufacturing processes have improved so much that it is much more difficult for the winning console to be sold out as PS2 and Wii both suffered in the past.

Duxxy3

WII - 10 degrees = 13.9K

Or

1. PS4 - 187K
2. XB1 - 131K
3. 3DS (probably)
4. Wii U - 80.5K
5. 360 - 53.9K
6. PS3 - 32.4K
7. PSV - 16K

That's roughly what I'm getting for measurements as well.

edit: i don't think the 3DS is on that pie chart

stryke

Reposting for new page.

WII - 10 degrees = 13.9K

Yeah, I pretty much got these numbers as well

donny2112

What if it's this?
http://abload.de/img/jlr874jq28z3i85j9p.png[IMG]

Would PS3 be unrealistically small?[/QUOTE]

That was my first attempt, but it left Wii U at 53.9K and PS3 at 13.9K, yeah. Limiting the graph to consoles makes Wii U match up to our calculations and gives a more reasonable PS3 number. :)

Foshy

Retailers don't want to stock it because nobody buys it.

More people want to buy it than is stocked though

I see where you are going and it makes sense to be conservative considering past performance of the Vita, but when the Borderlands 2 bundle did around 60k when it was released and completely sold out, they should've shipped more in these following 2 months.

God damn Y2Kev being so cold.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/donny2112/Sales%20Numbers/PS360vsPS4XB1_201407.png[ /IMG]

This graph is the one I'm watching. I think if PS4 + XB1 >= PS360 totals pubs will be happy.

XB1 is going to show notable decline form 360. Its up to the PS4 is save this situation.[/QUOTE]

XB1 is not competing with the 360, it is bringing up the rear which means it needs to perform similarly or better than PS3, and the PS4 needs to do better than the 360.

There is no "saving" anything though, the games industry dug their own grave by not widening the player base and we are now seeing the consequences with stuff like EA Access trying to better monetise a narrower base.

Simply discounting the loss of the Wii player base is also short-sighted, Sony, MS and Nintendo should have done better to keep those guys playing, the Wii still shifted a lot of software and now all of that is moving towards F2P which is hollowing out the industry.

Duxxy3

So Xone still < 5 million? or finally crossed?

We don't have much for figures outside of the states for the xbox one. Could be 5 million, could be 6 million. No idea. I doubt we'll hear anything until October at the earliest.

Simply discounting the loss of the Wii player base is also short-sighted, Sony, MS and Nintendo should have done better to keep those guys playing, the Wii still shifted a lot of software and now all of that is moving towards F2P which is hollowing out the industry.

The loss of the casual Wii/DS market is killing these hardware numbers. I don't know if they are lost because of failings at MS, Sony or Nintendo, or because that market moved onto Mobile and PC's.

It also does not help that hardware prices are just outrageous compared to the month that people keep quoting.

komplanen

The fact that Microsoft's two consoles sell less than a single console from Sony in a country where normally one would have expected it to be other way around is astonishing.

onQ123

Thanks Aqua.

Kinda disappointing for PS4.

Not so disappointing compared to last July hardware numbers

1. 3DS - 150,000
  2. 360 - 107,000
  3. PS3 - 79,000
  4. Wii ~ 35,000
  5. DS ~ 31,000
  6. WiiU ~ 29,000
  7. Vita ~ 16,000

about the same as PS3 & Xbox 360 numbers combined.

AniHawk

lol

I can't imagine PS4's "3ds beast mode®" lasting very long unless Destiny only manages to sell to the existing user base; there might be a bit of a problem if something like that ends up occurring.

i guess it's a good thing the same game isn't available on a larger userbase without a multiplayer tax.

XB1 is not competing with the 360, it is bringing up the rear which means it needs to perform similarly or better than PS3, and the PS4 needs to do better than the 360.

There is no "saving" anything though, the games industry dug their own grave by not widening the player base and we are now seeing the consequences with stuff like EA Access trying to better monetise a narrower base.

Sony and MS were never going after them at least not in the beginning of there system life .
Wii did shift alot of software but half if it was Nintendo so they really are the biggest losers there .
3rd parties can always make software for any system so i expect your going to see the F2P games on everything after a while.
I see EA Access not only as way to monetise a narrower base but to also do what every company wants to do turn there games into a service .
Sony already start so it only a matter of time until all companies try to find a way .

lol

I can't imagine PS4's "3ds beast mode®" lasting very long unless Destiny only manages to sell to the existing user base; there might be a bit of a problem if something like that ends up occurring.

You can bet your ass that people are going to buy that white PS4 bundle. I'm sure people are holding out on buying a PS4 until Destiny is released.

deleted

Not so disappointing compared to last July hardware numbers

1. 3DS - 150,000
  2. 360 - 107,000
  3. PS3 - 79,000
  4. Wii ~ 35,000
  5. DS ~ 31,000
  6. WiiU ~ 29,000
  7. Vita ~ 16,000

about the same as PS3 & Xbox 360 numbers combined.

That also looks like OK numbers for the Wii U. Almost three times up from last year is not too bad. And there is a Zelda game coming that should keep the sales somewhat stable? Depending on Nintendo's marketing efforts for it.

i guess it's a good thing the same game isn't available on a larger userbase without a multiplayer tax.

Damn, I keep forgetting that this game is cross-gen and not a PS4 exclusive.
I guess it's possible that it could "disappoint" due to those two forces (I'm not sure how likely that is though); either way, the September numbers should be pretty darn interesting.

You can bet your ass that people are going to buy that white PS4 bundle. I'm sure people are holding out on buying a PS4 until Destiny is released.

Well, I guess if it's ranking high on Amazon that must mean something.
:p

Who said

PS4+XBO = ~384K

When according to Aquamarine

(PS4 - 187K + XBO - 131K) = 318K
I did. Or rather I said it with the caveat that it was an upper bound, and that Callahan may be referring to something more along the lines of a 78% increase (which he ultimately was) being close to 80% up from last gen.

The proportion of non-US sales gets progressively larger, given we have a 10M figure. Now down to 37.6% or so.

Well, I guess if it's ranking high on Amazon that must mean something.
:p

You don't even need to look at Amazon to know how this is going to sell. Destiny is being marketed so much for Sony that some people think it's a PS4 exclusive. Then there are those that are waiting for Destiny to release before getting a PS4 as well as those that just want a shiny white PS4.

Apt101

Vita :( I've owned a Vita for a year and only just recently started using it heavily (Fez is wonderful on it), and now it seems like it's going the way of the dodo. I suppose I'll be able to get games on the cheap if it does. I only own like 10, most are PSN+.

I had heard July was notoriously slow for the industry, but I still honestly expected all three current gen consoles to do better. PS4 with TLoU, First Light, and Destiny hype. The X1 Kinect unbundling, and Wii U Mario Kart 8. I really suck at these predictions and should just stop.

StormKing

No-one could have foreseen that everyone would be suddenly carrying around handheld networked computers that played virtually unlimited amounts of insanely cheap, and even completely free, games.
That market is unrecoverable and not worth worrying about, as Nintendo (and initially MS) found out.

Looking at the Vita, it seems Sony found out as well.

AniHawk

that's sort of what bundles do. they're supposed to increase sales, but the effect is usually only seen that month. fire emblem, animal crossing, and pokemon all bumped 3ds sales due to bundles. if it's a lasting effect, we won't know until some point in the new year, as the end of september and the start of october begin bleeding into the holiday season. although i'm not sure what is supposed to be the headlining game on the ps4 or xbox one this year. it seems everyone is letting 2014 just be a shitty year so that 2015 will be a really awesome one.

july is also generally a bit smaller than june on a weekly basis, so i'm not surprised to see the ps4 below 190k. compared to previous ps4 months, it's not a bad number - roughly down 7k a week with the only major release being a game from last year. it's just not something you want to see from your market leader. the ps2 didn't drop below 200k in a july until 2008. the wii didn't do it until 2012.

thank you aquamarine.

seems the ps4 has entered the 3ds's beast mode®
In a year when can compare PS4 hardware and software to this year. If it is down then yes "PS4 entering beast mode"

I am surprised you say that. Especially when you know much about sales age. Watch dogs sold PS4 and got 50% of WD´s software sales in the UK. Destiny PS4 bundle will sell shit load. Multiplatform sell hardware. So what if Destiny is on other platforms, it won´t persuade people who want a PS4 from buying it. A lot of people buy new console to play games like COD/AC/Fifa etc.

July had no games. College football isn't even around anymore. TLOU is only going to push so many consoles, and I would think it wouldn't necessarily happen on release day, but the weekend or two to follow release.

I think these are decent numbers all around.

Sooooooo, what about TLOU retail????

AniHawk

In a year when can compare PS4 hardware and software to this year. If it is down then yes "PS4 entering beast mode"

next year is when all the big titles are hitting, and i expect this to be when sales should start picking up, not unlike the 3ds's 2012 or the wii u's 2014. but what i'm seeing with the ps4 is a system that people are willing to wait on, instead of needing to have. that kind of sets it apart from other leading platforms from previous generations.

I am surprised you say that. Especially when you know much about sales age. Watch dogs sold PS4 and got 50% of WD´s software sales in the UK. Destiny PS4 bundle will sell shit load. Multiplatform sell hardware. So what if Destiny is on other platforms, it won´t persuade people who want a PS4 from buying it. A lot of people buy new console to play games like COD/AC/Fifa etc.

watch_dogs did all right for itself at retail. it does seem like ubisoft shipped enough that they would never have to worry about ever requesting a reorder from sony though. people will very likely buy a destiny bundle, but i don't know if destiny on ps4 is the game that makes the ps4 the hot item that every kid wants to own.

the ps4 will probably do pretty well in the us. it may even clear 30m units if sony keeps it on shelves long enough. that would be at least better than the ps3.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It was a day pre-Holiday here in Italy (today's Ferragosto, yesterday was the Ferragosto's Eve), enjoyed it with my friends, came back to home one hour ago...now I'm finally here. XD

*sees Lady Aquamarine's numbers*

Ooook, that's slightly less than decent for PS4 for being the leading console. Xbox One pretty bad, at first glance. Wii U rising s lot compared to last year, but still awful. I'm gonna check and analyse all these numbers better in the next few hours :p

the ps4 will probably do pretty well in the us. it may even clear 30m units if sony keeps it on shelves long enough. that would be at least better than the ps3.

We have to wait and see how things go, PS4 should sell at least 6.5 million this year in the US .
With the first year for consoles normally being not the best PS4 should be able to past 30 million rather easy at the current rate .

PS4 sales are okay this month not as strong as previous months were. Still, for now it is staying well ahead of 360 which is good. If it keeps up with 360 in US for the rest of its life (a massive if ) then that would be a tremendous success for Sony.

You know that PS3 is somewhere around 25 million in US? it sold like shit at the start and never really did ''that'' well and yet sold 25 million. These doom and gloom predictions are getting out of hand. PS4 will absolutely clear 30m in US.

AniHawk

We have to wait and see how things go, PS4 should sell at least 6.5 million this year in the US .
With the first year for consoles normally being not the best PS4 should be able to past 30 million rather easy at the current rate .

i agree. i think 35m should be what the system reaches if it has a fairly standard 5-6 year lifespan.

You know that PS3 is somewhere around 25 million in US? it sold like shit at the start and never really did ''that'' well and yet sold 25 million. These doom and gloom predictions are getting out of hand. PS4 will absolutely clear 30m in US.

that's why my only caveat is if it's on store shelves long enough. if something comes in during the next couple of years and swipes the rug out from under the market, it may be hard to hit that goal.

Top Bottom