• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2014 [Up1: 3DS LTDs, Wii U LTDs, Tomodachi]

kswiston

Eh seems to be reasonable numbers for neither console having any real games (remakes excluded, but as Aquamarine has said those seem to be front loaded and I doubt they are selling consoles)

So when sales contract it seems the numbers on the xb1 and ps4 get much closer so that is an interesting phenomenon.

???

PS4 sales were 42% higher than XB1 this month. PS4 sales were 37% higher than XB1 sales last month.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Halo:MCC is a full-fledged collection of 4 games spanning 2 console generations though. The only comparable thing I could think of is if Nintendo made a 3D Mario HD Collection with 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1&2 or a 3D Zelda collection.

That's much more of a system seller than a single remaster (though I think GTA V will do amazing too).

Except TLoU is at least appealing to many PS4 owners that didn't have PS3s, so this is here first opportunity to play the game at all, never mind it being in HD. MCC is surely almost entirely appealing to people that have played Halo previously (I can't imagine many Xbox one owners didn't have a 360 previously)

quest

Not Banned from OT
Low sales for both consoles, I expected PS4 to be +200K.

I would say all 3 consoles are very disappointing. All 3 combined sold less than the Wii in the same point of time last generation. That was with over 200k PS2 taking sales from those consoles. Sony sure won easily but the issue is the PS4 is not doing enough sales in hardware and software to carry the industry. The software sales are probably a much bigger concern only 2 new gen games did over 100k sales. It is like that early software buying 360 gamers are no longer gaming.

Foshy

Except TLoU is at least appealing to many PS4 owners that didn't have PS3s, so this is here first opportunity to play the game at all, never mind it being in HD. MCC is surely almost entirely appealing to people that have played Halo previously (I can't imagine many Xbox one owners didn't have a 360 previously)

Well, I'll be buying it and I never played a Halo before :) Only had a 360 for a short while. But yeah, I'm an outlier.

I would say Halo currently still possess the more dedicated fanbase that's also larger.

TLoU is an amazing first-outing for a new IP (Ellie and Joel are practically iconic already), but it's too early since the last game was released, and the franchise, imo, still needs one more game for it to blow up for real.

Sure, TLoU appeals to PS4 owners without PS3s, but I don't think there'll be much double-dipping for TLoU. OTOH, I can see 99.99% of Halo MCC sales to be from those who have bought Halo before.

And that is a lot of people.

I would say all 3 consoles are very disappointing. All 3 combined sold less than the Wii in the same point of time last generation. That was with over 200k PS2 taking sales from those consoles. Sony sure won easily but the issue is the PS4 is not doing enough sales in hardware and software to carry the industry. The software sales are probably a much bigger concern only 2 new gen games did over 100k sales. It is like that early software buying 360 gamers are no longer gaming.

Nothing came out this month on the software side .

Software sales would be a concern if there were actually some titles released during these summer months. XO and PS4 have completely normal attach rates. Also with PS2 you must remember that during 2007 it was two years younger than X360 is currently and one year younger than PS3 currently.

Daemul

haha, ok cool thanks

I was only half joking :p

DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT!!

Haha, no worries. But in all seriousness, we seem to get less and less sales information with each passing NPD thread, this current thread has been through so many periods of inactivity since we've gotten fuck all.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 1/3 of the content in this thread comprises of the de-railing done by posters earlier.

SDCowboy

PS4 is way over 200K because of the White Destiny bundle, but obviously it's not showing on monthly sales.

True. Technically it probably is way over with the while PS4 is cannibalizing the July numbers. Think about september though with all those white PS4 numbers over the months piled onto the standard SKU.

RPGamer92

Banned
True. Technically it probably is way over with the while PS4 is cannibalizing the July numbers. Think about september though with all those white PS4 numbers over the months piled onto the standard SKU.
Wouldn't the Destiny bundles not count towards sales until September?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Software sales would be a concern if there were actually some titles released during these summer months. XO and PS4 have completely normal attach rates. Also with PS2 you must remember that during 2007 it was two years younger than X360 is currently and one year younger than PS3 currently.

It might be "normal" but no where enough to support the industry. The best numbers we have on the PS4 is the 3 to 1 attach ratio that includes sub 20 dollar digital games. Which probably brings retail games closer to a 2 to 1 attach ratio or close to half of the 360's 4 to 1 attach ratio at the same point. That is the point most are missing the PS4 has to do numbers to carry the entire industry since the Wii:U and Xbone are under performing.

phanphare

Banned
Haha, no worries. But in all seriousness, we seem to get less and less sales information with each passing NPD thread, this current thread has been through so many periods of inactivity since we've gotten fuck all.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 1/4 of the content in this thread comprises of the de-railing done by posters earlier.

yeah judging by some of aqua's posts it seems intentional, which is cool. so many outlets pick up these numbers and I'm sure that's not ideal so I understand. there's a whole month until the next one so maybe we'll get drip fed some numbers. I'm always more interested in software numbers than hardware numbers.

man, and that derailing UGH! I don't want to talk about it again but I've legitimately never been that annoyed with a poster before. so fucking rude!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Looking at these software sales, it is mind-boggling that more publishers don't look to release bigger games at this time. It's nearly a wasteland.

gtj1092

It might be "normal" but no where enough to support the industry. The best numbers we have on the PS4 is the 3 to 1 attach ratio that includes sub 20 dollar digital games. Which probably brings retail games closer to a 2 to 1 attach ratio or close to half of the 360's 4 to 1 attach ratio at the same point. That is the point most are missing the PS4 has to do numbers to carry the entire industry since the Wii:U and Xbone are under performing.

But attach rate goes down with more hardware sales. Yeah 360s attach rate was higher but Ps4 hardware sales are much greater meaning Ps4 is selling more software overall. It was the same with the Wii lower attach rate but it was leading in software sales for most of the generation.

I think publishers car about overall software sales more than attach rate. GameCube had a super high attach rate but who cares if that isn't actually a ton of games being sold.

Daemul

yeah judging by some of aqua's posts it seems intentional, which is cool. so many outlets pick up these numbers and I'm sure that's not ideal so I understand. there's a whole month until the next one so maybe we'll get drip fed some numbers. I'm always more interested in software numbers than hardware numbers.

man, and that derailing UGH! I don't want to talk about it again but I've legitimately never been that annoyed with a poster before. so fucking rude!

I guess that makes sense, but man, these NPD threads were so full of life(and trolls), now it seems like they'll fade into obscurity, until the XB1 eventually wins a month ofcourse lol.

But yeah, like you I value software numbers more, they are the most important and tell us more about the health of the industry.

PS4 is way over 200K because of the White Destiny bundle, but obviously it's not showing on monthly sales.

Pre-orders don't count as sales bruv, since people can still cancel between now and release.

Salex_

So PS4/X1 pretty much doubled PS3/360 in the same time frame....The Wii U transition was so bad :(

Hope we don't have to wait to long for TLOU numbers.

I would say Halo currently still possess the more dedicated fanbase that's also larger.

TLoU is an amazing first-outing for a new IP (Ellie and Joel are practically iconic already), but it's too early since the last game was released, and the franchise, imo, still needs one more game for it to blow up for real.

Sure, TLoU appeals to PS4 owners without PS3s, but I don't think there'll be much double-dipping for TLoU. OTOH, I can see 99.99% of Halo MCC sales to be from those who have bought Halo before.

And that is a lot of people.
I bet at least half of the sales are from upgrading ps3 players. That GameStop upgrade promotion seemed to be really popular.

SDCowboy

Pre-orders don't count as sales bruv, since people can still cancel between now and release.

Right, but the point is, people are preordering white PS4s every month and that is cannibalizing numbers that would have otherwise counted for the month they were ordered in. It doesn't really mattter though because when the white ps4 sales do finally count, September, the NPD number should be ginormous, combined with the standard sku.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Is open_mouth still here? I'd love to get his opinion on these numbers :)

I'm glad you asked because this thread was in need of a serious dose of reality of what's really going on behind the scenes. Microsoft is obviously taking a page out of Sony's PS3 playbook with the XB1. This is a clear case of under-promising followed by a massive amount of over-delivering (of value).

Microsoft shows the market a $500 console chained to expensive--yet elegant--hardware (Kinect 2.0), a revolutionary form of misunderstood DRM, and graphical components capable of hitting the holy grail of 1080p x 60 fps in games--basically giving the people what they want. And then they go "bam!", we're going to do you one better, folks. No Kinect necessary, but better with it... $400 bundles and $500 ones too if that's what you prefer... We'll save DRM for later when you're more ready for it... You want Madden, Fifa, Halo, and Tomb Raider, you say? Yeah we got to too! So the market goes, "well f*** me, this thing may have been awesome before, but now how could I possibly resist?" The fruits of this strategy will ripen in the coming months and Mattrick's true genius will finally be appreciated.

Many of you can't see the forest beyond the trees. Microsoft knows the majority of a consoles sales occur *after* the first year, so what happens now isn't really important. You can call this the "beta" period, if you'd like. The real party starts in year two. "Let the kids have their fun, but the real games don't begin until we say so." -Microsoft.

They want gamers to experience what the competition offers so that when they inevitably jump (back) in to the Xbox All in One Entertainment Eco-System, they will truly realize what they have been missing and then they will have won a customer for life. In a final stroke of genius, they want you, the gamer, to make the final 180 by turning your back on Sony's trap-box known as the PS4 and embracing true gaming-salvation that is the XB1. Sony's trying to "lock" consumers in by offering loads of "free" games, massive discounts, and a ton of other benefits that only work if you stay in their ecosystem by paying a monthly tax for the rest of your life. Who's forcing DRM down your throat now? You can't just stop paying and bring those games over to the XB1, for example. What kind of idiots do they take us for?

So Microsoft is gearing up for year two which starts this holiday season. Did you know that 80% of console sales occur in the holiday season? Droppin' nuggets of knowledge all day, holla. Microsoft has had the shelves fully stocked for a couple months now, so you could say they already have the jump on sony. Then they just announced about a dozen different variations. It's not one size fits all anymore, folks. That was the old way, the Sony way. You want a 1 TB version with manly COD graphics that you could show off to the b*tches in your neighborhood? We got that. How about a ice cool white one with a free Sunset game included? Yup. Are you a vanilla man? We got the standard SkU for you. Buddies coming over for a kegger this weekend? Grab the madden buddle yo.

Do you want to control your entire home entertainment system with just your voice and hands? The Kinect version is still available! 'Sup now, son. Those lucky gamers get the added benefit of all the motion-games that are in the pipeline from award winning studios like Rare and they can change weapons... with their voice. XB1 amazon rankings aren't so high right now since all the sales are spread out with all these amazing bundles instead of just one or two sku's like the PS4 or WiiU. NPD might miss some of these sku's as well since there are so many coming out all the time. Remember, those numbers are just estimates anyway and Walmart, the largest retailer in teh world practically, isn't a fan of npd so we're not getting the entire picture. Sony's in their pockets, no doubt.

2015, year of the Xbox!

I'm glad you asked because this thread was in need of a serious dose of reality of what's really going on behind the scenes. Microsoft is obviously taking a page out of Sony's PS3 playbook with the XB1. This is a clear case of under-promising followed by a massive amount of over-delivering (of value).

Microsoft shows the market a $500 console chained to expensive--yet elegant--hardware (Kinect 2.0), a revolutionary form of misunderstood DRM, and graphical components capable of hitting the holy grail of 1080p x 60 fps in games--basically giving the people what they want. And then they go "bam!", we're going to do you one better, folks. No Kinect necessary, but better with it... $400 bundles and $500 ones too if that's what you prefer... We'll save DRM for later when you're more ready for it... You want Madden, Fifa, Halo, and Tomb Raider, you say? Yeah we got to too! So the market goes, "well f*** me, this thing may have been awesome before, but now how could I possibly resist?" The fruits of this strategy will ripen in the coming months and Mattrick's true genius will finally be appreciated.

Many of you can't see the forest beyond the trees. Microsoft knows the majority of a consoles sales occur *after* the first year, so what happens now isn't really important. You can call this the "beta" period, if you'd like. The real party starts in year two. "Let the kids have their fun, but the real games don't begin until we say so." -Microsoft.

They want gamers to experience what the competition offers so that when they inevitably jump (back) in to the Xbox All in One Entertainment Eco-System, they will truly realize what they have been missing and then they will have won a customer for life. In a final stroke of genius, they want you, the gamer, to make the final 180 by turning your back on Sony's trap-box known as the PS4 and embracing true gaming-salvation that is the XB1. Sony's trying to "lock" consumers in by offering loads of "free" games, massive discounts, and a ton of other benefits that only work if you stay in their ecosystem by paying a monthly tax for the rest of your life. Who's forcing DRM down your throat now? You can't just stop paying and bring those games over to the XB1, for example. What kind of idiots do they take us for?

So Microsoft is gearing up for year two which starts this holiday season. Did you know that 80% of console sales occur in the holiday season? Droppin' nuggets of knowledge all day, holla. Microsoft has had the shelves fully stocked for a couple months now, so you could say they already have the jump on sony. Then they just announced about a dozen different variations. It's not one size fits all anymore, folks. That was the old way, the Sony way. You want a 1 TB version with manly COD graphics that you could show off to the b*tches in your neighborhood? We got that. How about a ice cool white one with a free Sunset game included? Yup. Are you a vanilla man? We got the standard SkU for you. Buddies coming over for a kegger this weekend? Grab the madden buddle yo.

Do you want to control your entire home entertainment system with just your voice and hands? The Kinect version is still available! 'Sup now, son. Those lucky gamers get the added benefit of all the motion-games that are in the pipeline from award winning studios like Rare and they can change weapons... with their voice. XB1 amazon rankings aren't so high right now since all the sales are spread out with all these amazing bundles instead of just one or two sku's like the PS4 or WiiU. NPD might miss some of these sku's as well since there are so many coming out all the time. Remember, those numbers are just estimates anyway and Walmart, the largest retailer in teh world practically, isn't a fan of npd so we're not getting the entire picture. Sony's in their pockets, no doubt.

2015, year of the Xbox!

Pure genius.

Remember you are basing that off NPD software retail sales only. Digital sales revenue is not tracked by NPD, which I keep trying to point out. Digital sales revenue is absolutely booming year to year, so it makes NPD's software results increasingly anachronistic. Retail software sales are naturally declining yoy.

Anyway, Sony must be making a packet on PS4 digital sales. So your argument is flawed.

JavaMind

Banned

2015, year of the Xbox!

You are delirious my friend... Xbox now is a Regional Console, is dead all around the world... and... next year sony will bring The Order, BloodBourne, TearWay, Ratchet&Clank, Uncharted and for sure more stufff...

Right, but the point is, people are preordering white PS4s every month and that is cannibalizing numbers that would have otherwise counted for the month they were ordered in. It doesn't really mattter though because when the white ps4 sales do finally count, September, the NPD number should be ginormous, combined with the standard sku.

Exactly this. People are buying the white one rather than the normal SKU.

cakely

2015, year of the Xbox!

I have to hand it to you, you've really put enormous energy into this parody account.

2015, year of the Xbox!

This went a bit over the top. But good laugh anyway. 8/10.

Top Bottom