• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2017

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Crash is dead, they said. It won't sell, they said.
giphy.gif

Also, very impressive results for Final Fantasy. Good to see.

ethomaz

Banned
But that seems to be the newer game already generating interest in the franchise rather than the cheaper games being the reason for it.

With MGS, my first was 4. I loved it enough to when V was coming out, I bought the MGS collection on 360 and MGS1 on PS3.

Having a back catalogue is important for that reason but more for the reason of continued revenue streams from successful new launches.
Well I can't play newer games without play the previous games... I just ignore the franchise if I can't buy/play all games before the sequel releases.

Maybe I'm alone.

PS. I hold MGS4 for close a year until I finish MGS2 and MGS3.

Prompto

Banned
This has been a feel good year so far when it's comes to sales. Only big game that I can think of that was well received but did poorly was Prey :(

Guys, box office for movies count dollars as well, not tickets sold. It's kinda annoying to have to explain why NPD does revenue now instead of units sold. It's been like that for almost a decade!

Mikey Jr.

Sony and Nintendo are doing great, Microsoft in the other hand... disaster. (Giving that NPD is MS strongest market)

Yeah, America is xbox strongest by like a mile.

If it's doing piss poor in USA, I can't imagine rest of the world.

Having said that, we don't know the official numbers, but not even a mention from npd probably doesn't bode well.

Oh cool, Switch #1. I wonder what the numbers are for all 3.

And damn Crash still up there at #2. Must be a lot of crow going around at this point. Also good to see FFXII and Splatoon 2 up there.

Tekken 7 dropped way more than expected.

I know. Kind of disappointing.

Sales of E and E10+ games are up 15% this year, which is great news.

Getting more family friendly/kid friendly games onto the consoles would be a good thing.

Toth

You see that Square! TZA age sold well! Now make a new XII sequel or a new Ivalice game, you don't have anymore excuses.

Has it though? JPN sales weren't that great. I don't think it outsold FFX HD either. I am not sure what sales level SE needs to even consider a sequel.

Effect

Zelda is about to be like GTAV for the rest of the year, every time somebody buys a Switch they will buy Zelda, so I expect it to chart all year

If they decide to include the DLC content ala a GOTY edition for the holidays or early next year then that could continue well into year if the Switch's sales don't drop.. Especially if they announce a second wave of dlc.

Not surprised about Zelda. It's the game almost everyone in NA buys when picking up a Switch. It's going to do 10 million globally when all is said and done, making it the best selling entry in the franchise (if you don't count the OoT 3D remake and the original game as a single product).

Other notes:

Three games from the Call of Duty franchise reached the top 20 in July, with COD:MWR joining June carryovers COD:BLOPSIII and COD:IW.

Over the past 12 months, Call of Duty is the #1 selling video game franchise and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare the best-selling game.

RPGs are experiencing a market resurgence. YTD $ sales of RPGs has grown more than 50% vs YA.

YTD, Tom Clancy is the best-selling game franchise, Tom Clancy Ghost Recon: Wildlands the best-selling game, and Ubisoft the #1 publisher.

Ridley327

Huge part, yes.

And Super Mario Odyssey hasn't even released yet, either. That market has been rather under-served aside from the TTL market that has run its course, and while I get why both Sony and MS decided to focus their energies elsewhere, it's been a missed opportunity for them to not capitalize on that audience not being satisfied with merely having LEGO games available.

Sales of E and E10+ games are up 15% this year, which is great news.

Getting more family friendly/kid friendly games onto the consoles would be a good thing.

Is Switch the main reason for this?

Huge part, yes.
Fantastic and should be applauded considerably. I'm so happy Nintendo has stayed the course for younger audiences. Say what you will about many of their more "interesting" decisions but man do they have some integrity!

Do we have any hardware numbers for the current gen? Keep seeing people saying Microsoft is tanking...

Ashtar

This was my first month trying to predict the top 10
I didn't expect Crash to have such a great second month, I should have known better
Also didn't think Tekken would absolutely crater but ah well.
I over estimated arms... gulp ... legs , not sure if I was even aware that FFXII was gonna release
GTAV was the best selling Xbox one game this month
Prediction for June top 10
1. Splatoon 2 sells upwards of 400K
2. Injustice 2 Aggressive DLC moves this ahead of Tekken 7
3. Tekken 7
4. Crash bandicoot since it's only 40 bucks it will likely chart lower than Tekken
5. GTA V
6. TLOZ
7. MK8
8. Ghost Recon
9. Arms
10. Overwatch

Anyhow it seems everything is UP UP UP usually we don't see big games in these months

kyser73

This persistent incorrect rumor about hardware performance is annoying.

No portable system ranked in the top 3 best-selling hardware platforms in the month.

Well I'm sure you know how to make that annoyance go away, but your partners won't let you.

I have two questions:

1. How does NPDs relationship with platform holders differ from Mediacreate/Famitsu in Japan? I can't imagine MS are especially happy they can publish >100 unit sa les info but they do. What prevents you guys fro making unit sales data public and why does that differ from Japan?

2. What percentage is third party Switch software of the whole Switch software market?

Other Charts:

Year to Date top 10

Year-To-Date Ending July 2017 Top 10 Games (Physical and Full Game Digital Formats for publishers in the digital panel; across all platforms incl. PC), ranked on dollar sales​

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild***
For Honor
Grand Theft Auto V
Horizon Zero Dawn
Injustice 2
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
NBA 2K17
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Rolling 12 Months Top 10

12 Months Rolling Ending July 2017 Top 10 Games (Physical and Full Game Digital Formats for publishers in the digital panel; across all platforms incl. PC), ranked on dollar sales​

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Battlefield 1
NBA 2K17
Madden NFL 17
Grand Theft Auto V
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
FIFA 17
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild***
Final Fantasy XV
For Honor​

Welfare

Do we have any hardware numbers for the current gen? Keep seeing people saying Microsoft is tanking...

Microsoft isn't doing too hot this year. We don't have July numbers for it (We do have PS4 and Switch) but YTD 2017

PS4: 1.997M (+15%)
NSW: 1.794M
XB1: 989K (Up to June / -11%). Given Mat's comment, we can assume XB1 as of this month is ~1.1M (~-14%)

Lkr

glad to see Splatoon doing well. missed out on the first one because my Wii U was disconnected and in a box in my closet by the time it released but the second is easily my GOTY so far this year

guyssorry

Glad to see PS4 and Nintendo doing so well.

Super glad to see that the Switch is exceeding expectations. Cannot wait to see how well it fares in the upcoming months/years.

Gradivus

Other notes:

Three games from the Call of Duty franchise reached the top 20 in July, with COD:MWR joining June carryovers COD:BLOPSIII and COD:IW.

Over the past 12 months, Call of Duty is the #1 selling video game franchise and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare the best-selling game.

RPGs are experiencing a market resurgence. YTD $ sales of RPGs has grown more than 50% vs YA.

YTD, Tom Clancy is the best-selling game franchise, Tom Clancy Ghost Recon: Wildlands the best-selling game, and Ubisoft the #1 publisher.
Good use for rpgs. Have any other genres gotten a market resurgence this year? I'm interested in platformers, especially after how well Crash did. Thou, maybe it's best to wait till Sonic and Mario are released.

And Super Mario Odyssey hasn't even released yet, either. That market has been rather under-served aside from the TTL market that has run its course, and while I get why both Sony and MS decided to focus their energies elsewhere, it's been a missed opportunity for them to not capitalize on that audience not being satisfied with merely having LEGO games available.

Sony has temp. exclusive Crash which is doing quite well. And don't forget their secret weapon, Knack 2.

Top Bottom