• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2017

As a lifelong RPG fan, this year has just been the best, really. I mean, fantastic RPGs were released all the time on PSP and DS, and then on Vita and 3DS, but now they're back on consoles and people are actually buying them. It's great.

Neoxon

ARMS having better legs than Tekken 7 is a bit surprising. Still, solid sales overall. Congrats to Nintendo on their success with Splatoon 2, BotW, & ARMS.

Was searching for the predictions thread on Google and saw this, heh:

8AaNdPu.jpg

Ridley327

Sony has temp. exclusive Crash which is doing quite well. And don't forget their secret weapon, Knack 2.

Crash is encouraging news on that platform, but it's not enough. I'm still amazed that they didn't bother to contract Sanzaru for a PS4 sequel to Sly 4 since I think that would have been a solid hit following up another and would have been a no-brainer to follow up on R&C's success last year.

RoKKeR

Really impressive year for Sony and Nintendo. They've done a great job with compelling software that really pushes the hardware this year.

Lol @ GTA V. Wow. This has to be the highest selling video game of all time or at least on track to become the highest selling video game o all time.

Regiruler

I think most would have been happy to have it in May, but Nintendo taking on publishing for Ultra Street Fighter 2 in the west seemed to put a pin in that.

Speaking of USF2, I don't know why that game is selling as well as it is.

More work was put into creating Bomberman R from the ground up as well as continual support, I'm kinda peeved it's not selling better.

It hasn't sold PS4 numbers but I mean you're implying it's a sinking ship when I think people need to take a step back and understand what's going on. This isn't the WiiU after all. The system needs some good first party performers but it's not like it's imploding. Step outside the echo chamber for a bit.

What? It's sales so far this year have been awful. It's the worst year for the platform by a very large margin and has sold less than the OG Xbox did. It's been down substantially YoY every single month. What the hell does an "echo chamber" have anything to do with those figures?

Not really conventional wisdom would be both PS4 and Xbone hardware should be down YoY at this point in their life cycle. Xbox is but PS4 has been so strong this year it's really helping.

Obviously Switch is a huge growth factor though as well

Well yea obviously PS4 is performing ways bove expectation at this point in it's life but I'd imagine that the Switch makes up a much larger part of the YoY increase in spending than it does just by virtue of how poor the WiiU performed previously. But you're right both results are impressive.

Ridley327

Speaking of USF2, I don't know why that game is selling as well as it is.

More work was put into creating Bomberman R from the ground up as well as continual support, I'm kinda peeved it's not selling better.

SF2 is eternal in its appeal, and while the price point is rather dodgy for hardcore players, someone less inclined is going to see it's available, see that's it's $20 less than other games and has a feature list on the back of the box that looks and sounds pretty exciting compared to what they remember back on the SNES.

I don't think Bomberman is ever going to shake off the initial launch negativity, but one can hope that Konami takes it as a learning opportunity to ensure that what they do next isn't plagued with the same issues and that the game starts at where R is currently at. There's clearly a passion there with how well it managed to sell in spite of the state it launched in, which makes me think that a flat-out good one out the box could stand to be a real contender.

What rpgs are on the switch? Unless Zelda is counted as one here.

Since Horizon counted as one I can only assume whatever rubric decided that also slotted Zelda there.

I'm curious about Zelda's contribution to the RPG resurgence because I love handhelds for the genre, so if publishers see a lot of money in it then I may actually buy one.

Crash had two days on the market last month and is 40 bucks.

It's a likely possibility that it outsold Splatoon in terms of units

Hottest new Nintendo game on the hottest new Nintendo console and that's not including digital sales and it's highly unlikely Crash sold more units.

13ruce

Banned
Honestly i think Switch is gonna outsell Xbox one in 2-3 years or so.

Unless they get their first party support issue together finally, it was good at the beginnig but now it feels very lackluster. This is in a year where nearly all other game platforms are killing it software wise. And 2018 seems to be a killer year aswell they need to be there with good games too in that year.

Usobuko

Banned
Injustice doing so much better over Tekken is an aesthetic issue first, IP appeal second.

This should be apparent since the last gen.

Gradivus

Since Horizon counted as one I can only assume whatever rubric decided that also slotted Zelda there.

I'm curious about Zelda's contribution to the RPG resurgence because I love handhelds for the genre, so if publishers see a lot of money in it then I may actually buy one.
Fair enough, usually Zelda BotW is listed as action/adventure game on most sites while Horizon gets the action/RPG title, so I tend to feel the same way.

Its been an RPG since it was first shown in E3 2015.

I'm not even sure if people are being genuinely serious or just intentionally deflective.

I have no idea how anything I wrote would come off as sarcastic or quippy. I'll try to make myself better understood in the future. In general and for the purposes of genre performance analysis, Horizon is an RPG. I 100% agree with that idea. I'm happy that the genre is up YoY and would love it if the hot new handheld 1) increased supply so I could buy one and 2) RPG dev houses and publishers took that increase to mean they should make more.

I'm around if people have questions.

I read that as "I'm aroused if people have questions." That wrong quote combined with your pic had me laughing.

The Switch really is doing amazing. Before launch, if someone had said it would be beating PS4 in NPD's come July a lot of people would have laughed. I believe that if Nintendo were able to provide unlimited stock it would have won every NPD from launch until 2018.

Top Bottom