• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2013 [Up2: 360/3DS Hardware, AC/LM/DK Digital + Retail]

Who really did expect it to sell that many systems? It's seventh year for PS3,It hasn't had price drop for ages and the game itself largely targets the audience that already has a PS3.
What did Microsoft bring to the table? A fucking awful E3 showing while Sony brings a promising year of releases. This was their best chance to stick it to MS and I'm sure they will be disappointed they couldn't.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wii U's sales later this year will be dependant on many factors

1)Possible 50$ cut
2)Black Friday bundles (if they're going to do them)
3)Software deals, like the SMTIV one or the European ones (btw, I hope they continue the trend)
4)How much DKC can attract people
5)Advertising: this thing needs freaking advertising
6)Absolutely lack of heat waves; otherwise, Pokémon Centers will be' empty

I fear it won't do as much as Nintendo hopes, at all, but there are still many important factors to consider.

Somnid

Everything that has launched since wii had terrible problems though. Although i think 499 is a terrible problem but i expect great ps4 numbers

You can look back too, 360 is on fire but boy it didn't start that way. Once the initial early-buyers dries up where do we go? It's also interesting because even in the wider market tablets, phones and PCs are all sliding either on sales or on margins. Losing a ton of money up front on a tablet is the way of life for Android and Apple is losing margins and it sounds like even they are looking to dip into the lower end of things. Hyper competition is really messing up the market from a platform owner standpoint. I feel technological time compression weighs heavily too, some fundamental shakeups may be in order for everyone.

What did Microsoft bring to the table? A fucking awful E3 showing while Sony brings a promising year of releases. This was their best chance to stick it to MS and I'm sure they will be disappointed they couldn't.

I really don't think they care that much. If they had cared they would had done price drop for PS3 together with TLOU. Even now the difference is probably something like 20-30k. At this point of gen you just try to maximise profits and you are not fighting for marketshare anymore.

wrowa

What are you talking about? Zelda's release every 3 years or so regardless of the console. At worst you bump it like with Twilight Princess.

3 years? That hasn't been the case since nearly a decade. 4 years passed between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, 5 years passed between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Even if they get back to 3 years and will release Wii U Zelda at the end of next year, the new "next gen" Zelda would again only release in the middle of the next generation if Nintendo would indeed release a Wii U successor early. They quite simply can't afford that, the Wii U has shown that they need to get out their big guns quickly if they want to stand a chance.

Skyward Sword released when the Wii was already dying and suffered from relatively low sales as a consequence. If things don't change, the Wii U Zelda will release too late in the life cycle of platform that was never alive to begin with. That's a terrible prospect, this way they can't sell as many copies as they need to have the franchise stay as relevant as in the last decade.

Square2015

35k wiiU?
Ill update my graph comparing it to DC and GC when I get home. I can tell you this it under tracked DC by about 10k for June IIRC

Mr Swine

Banned
Great new everyone! Really happy that AC:NL has sold well, but I was hoping it would push the 3DS sales a bit further. Around 250k, but 225k is not bad at all. I hope that thanks to the game the 3DS is up you for the rest of the year till Pokemon comes out!

B.O.O.M

Oh god... I forgot about that. Someone should find the NeoGAF thread and bump it with the 2K figures data.. :lol

Aqua trusts him, so I'm starting to think he's legit now. Esp as he;'s been accurate for a few months now.

He is. If aqua trusts him so do i

I assume if he really wasn't accurate at all, he would have gotten banned months ago for misleading people with false information.

I wish a mod could tell us. I mean if they did trust him why can't we have the info in the thread title?

1)Possible 50$ cut
3)Software deals, like the SMTIV one or the European ones (btw, I hope they continue the trend)

I fear it won't do as much as Nintendo hopes, at all, but there are still many important factors to consider.

honestly both wiiu and vita need a bigger drop than $50 and need to cram as much "extra value" shit into their bundles as they can (wiimotes,PS+, dowload codes for e-shop/psn etc)

prwxv3

1)Possible 50$ cut

Lol

I doubt DKC will attract many people. It looks to similar to the last game and it really only appeals to people that already have a WiiU (those that bought NSMBU) it should pull off solid numbers though. Banking on just platformers this holiday seems like a bad idea.

LOCK

And with this month going forward, the 3DS should be up all year. I wonder how the holidays will play out.

Poor Wii U.

Congrats ND.

Mikey Jr.

NPD doesn't track digital sales as well?

Not saying that it did a lot on there, but TLOU was day and date on PSN with retail. Its how I bought mine.

Metallix87

honestly both wiiu and vita need a bigger drop than $50 and need to cram as much "extra value" shit into their bundles as they can (wiimotes,PS+, dowload codes for e-shop/psn etc)

I think Wii U needs to drop $80, Nintendo needs to make the Deluxe the standard and drop the Basic, throw in a Wiimote Plus and Nunchuk, AND a free digital download of some random eShop title (maybe Mario 2 USA?), on top of everything already in that bundle.

donny2112

1)Possible 50$ cut $100 before Pikmin 3 would've made an impact. $50 always seemed too little to me.
2)Black Friday bundles (if they're going to do them) :/ Can't wait for it to sell 200K in November like Vita's great BF bundles did, then.
3)Software deals, like the SMTIV one or the European ones (btw, I hope they continue the trend) Small fraction of the userbase would even know about them. That's probably why they can be so substantial.
4)How much DKC can attract people Seriously doubt it can attract much on its own.
5)Advertising: this thing needs freaking advertising $1B advertising might make a dent.
6)Absolutely lack of heat waves; otherwise, Pokémon Centers will be' empty Get it, this time. :)

True, true.

I wish a mod could tell us. I mean if they did trust him why can't we have the info in the thread title?

Mods will never put leaks in the op

Edit: DKC is not going to sell to the nsmbu base. If NSMB is not a system seller DK sure as hell isn't. And then 3d world is another platformer.

Bsigg12

Man its crazy that Minecraft for the 360 continues to chart so high. Also, you know its a slow release period when BF3 is back in the top 10.

Great news for Nintendo, though its for a system that was going to have long legs regardless.

Good to see TLoU getting its recognition and selling well.

NPD doesn't track digital sales as well?

Not saying that it did a lot on there, but TLOU was day and date on PSN with retail. Its how I bought mine.

nah, never does. Very rarely will the platform holders put out digital sales info- I think we might get totals for TLOU eventually though, since it's a Sony flagship title.

Hahaha. Summer does negatively impact the sales of many luxury items but that has a lot more to do with lower disposable incomes due to high electric bills than it has to do with people not wanting to go outside. :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't believe Nintendo learned nothing from the 3DS's problems, even thought they specifically said they did. What a disaster the Wii U has become.

Metallix87

I can't believe Nintendo learned nothing from the 3DS's problems, even thought they specifically said they did. What a disaster the Wii U has become.

They absolutely did learn. That's why the Wii U launched with a Mario game. Unfortunately, they didn't learn enough to realize you need aggressive marketing and a steady stream of releases.

Wait, think about this--what if the current Wii U situation is after Nintendo course corrected after learning from the 3DS? What would it look like if they hadn't hahah.

jvm

Gamasutra.
NPD is modeling digital sales, with some data. We know they'll make changes in the future, but we don't know yet how or how accurate they will be.

For now, the chart we see each month is retail-only sales.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Does this month add at least a little credibility to "Nintendo games sell Nintendo hardware" and give at least a glimmer of hope to the Wii U?

Only if you ignore what just happened in Japan.

Nintendo games sell $180-$200 handheld Nintendo hardware.

Saving it for holidays probably but by then a ps3 bundle isn't exactly the most wanted thing since next gen is out the same time

they're targeting different audiences. casuals and occasional gamers aren't really lining up to buy new consoles at $400/$500. The PS2 continued to outsell the 360 and PS3 for a good, long while.

a TLOU bundle will move units over the holidays.

They absolutely did learn. That's why the Wii U launched with a Mario game. Unfortunately, they didn't learn enough to realize you need aggressive marketing and a steady stream of releases.

What kind of idiotic company thinks you need 1 game?

Wait, think about this--what if the current Wii U situation is after Nintendo course corrected after learning from the 3DS? What would it look like if they hadn't hahah.

It would have not sold 1.5 million worldwide yet

Petrae

1)Possible 50$ cut

1) Price cut of $50 is mitigated by need for additional storage media. PS4 at $400 is still only slightly more expensive for 500GB than Deluxe WiiU at $300 and its small storage.

2) Black Friday deals could be interesting, though I assume that WiiU will compete with last-gen platforms and price cuts. First-party software not enough of a value proposition.

3) Fair point about software deals. That's good thinking, and yes, I hope they continue.

4) DKC is more mainstream than The Wonderful 101 and Pikmin but more niche than Mario and Zelda. Mario 3D is really the key cog for Q4 performance and interest.

5) I agree on the advertising point. Where are the mall tours, the cool commercials, and the catchy promotions? Get WiiU out into the open and make consumers want it.

6) Hopefully snowstorms and late-fall cold snaps don't keep people home, either.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Come on. Yes, there should have been a bigger bump, but you cannot compare Pikmin 3 to Animal Crossing and other 3DS releases that have been arriving very consistently.

You are really becoming increasingly one note.

CTLance

Thanks to everyone who made this possible, as always.

AC is looking mighty fine.

Request for clarification:

Nintendo sold a limited amount of Animal Crossing 3DS, which come with a code to download the game. If I understand this correctly, NPD will not count these towards the AC numbers, but Nintendo will. Does Nintendo count them as physical release or as eshop download? Both are technically true. Just wondering how much info we can massage out of the numbers and percentages we get.

Metallix87

What kind of idiotic company thinks you need 1 game?

Nintendo, I guess. I just remember, when 3DS launched, a constant stream of "Where's Mario?" being asked everywhere, and I believe even asked to Iwata at meetings and such, so I'm not surprised that they thought Mario was what was needed.

Daingurse

1) Price cut of $50 is mitigated by need for additional storage media. PS4 at $400 is still only slightly more expensive for 500GB than Deluxe WiiU at $300 and its small storage.

2) Black Friday deals could be interesting, though I assume that WiiU will compete with last-gen platforms and price cuts. First-party software not enough of a value proposition.

3) Fair point about software deals. That's good thinking, and yes, I hope they continue.

4) DKC is more mainstream than The Wonderful 101 and Pikmin but more niche than Mario and Zelda. Mario 3D is really the key cog for Q4 performance and interest.

5) I agree on the advertising point. Where are the mall tours, the cool commercials, and the catchy promotions? Get WiiU out into the open and make consumers want it.

6) Hopefully snowstorms and late-fall cold snaps don't keep people home, either.

1126.gif

Masterful.

prwxv3

I don't think many people realize this but if it were not for Wii sports + Wiimote super combo the Wii would have probably ended up like the WiiU only less worse. But because the Wii was a mega hit Nintendo thought everything was fine and no changes were needed, that gives us the WiiU.

wrowa

Nothing happened in Japan. Pikmin has never been a major release that boosts hardware sales. This time around it's just unreasonably expected to move hardware, because there's nothing else on the horizon that could have an effect.

Nintendo, I guess. I just remember, when 3DS launched, a constant stream of "Where's Mario?" being asked everywhere, and I believe even asked to Iwata at meetings and such, so I'm not surprised that they thought Mario was what was needed.

People weren't asking where's the 3rd 2d Mario in 3 years that is barely different visually and does nothing significantly new. Nintendo is consistently overetimating themselves, but luckily they should know by now people are buying their shit

Hopefully, Nintendo has a team hard at work on Animal Crossing U, so it'll be out before the the end of 2015.

Hopefully not. Animal crossing works better as a handheld game. That team should be working on a new ip for wiiu.

Top Bottom