• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2013 [Up2: 360/3DS Hardware, AC/LM/DK Digital + Retail]

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So we're back to needing WiiU numbers and Ouya. Cream!

Gonna feel a bit weird if theyre the same as what AZ Greg blurted though.

Good to see 3 exclusives top the NPD charts =). And the 3DS is doing quite well, both software and hardware wise. There were generally hints that Animal Crossing was doing quite well, but I'm surprised that Luigi's Mansion continues to stay in the charts. Congrats to Next Level Games for that!

Some other points. DKCR sold better than quite a few Zeldas. While I think it has a little less selling power than Zelda, it's still fairly significant. Secondly, there's now a Wii U deal for Wonderful 101 & Pikmin 3.

Didn:t it sell better than some 3D Mario games as well? Particularly Sunshine and Galaxy 2? I don:t remember the numbers but I know 64 and Galaxy are ahead.

Edit I forgot about 3D Land. That think that:s ahead now.

Good to see 3 exclusives top the NPD charts =). And the 3DS is doing quite well, both software and hardware wise. There were generally hints that Animal Crossing was doing quite well, but I'm surprised that Luigi's Mansion continues to stay in the charts. Congrats to Next Level Games for that!

Some other points. DKCR sold better than quite a few Zeldas. While I think it has a little less selling power than Zelda, it's still fairly significant. Secondly, there's now a Wii U deal for Wonderful 101 & Pikmin 3.

NSMB also sold 30 million copies on wii. Actually if we do the same drop for dkc that nsmb did on wiiu dkc will struggle to break a million. I think 3d world will destroy dkc in sales to be honest

Satchel

Banned
Nice looking Top 10

How in the lords name is Minecraft selling that much on disc when its already done 6 mill digitally?

If TLoU did around 775k how on earth did it get 3.4 million worldwide? Sounds like Sony is being disingenuous and giving shipped numbers instead of sold just like they did with UC3.

Also, number one software but still can't beat 360 in June is a massive failure on the part of John Koller and SCEA's hardware marketing team.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The DS was an unholy beast that had white lightning for blood, but I guess its interesting to see the PSP sales as well. That really is a market thats smartphones and tablets now.

I sort of get the funny feeling the DS trained people to game on the go and then the smartphones snatched that from under Nintendo's rug hah.

I dabble in IOS gaming, and while there are some genuinely cool games in there, nothing can rival the offerings on the 3DS on account that app revenues are miserable unless you go for the IAP grind and hit it big. Trading Mario for virtual slot machines =(

So your logic is that despie the fact that last time a console version did nothing new from the handheld version it did mediocre comparatively and now you want a console version based on new leaf?

Edit: When Wiiu comes down to 3ds prices we can talk about nintendo 1st party carrying the system as well. A 300 dollar console with 60 dollar games is much less appealing

How much is 3DS XL in America ?.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Didn:t it sell better than some 3D Mario games as well? Particularly Sunshine and Galaxy 2? I don:t remember the numbers but I know 64 and Galaxy are ahead.

I remember DKCR being at least 5million at point, but it seems like Galaxy 2 was like 6m at that time. The original DKC on the SNES was 9 mil though, so given the right time and place it's proven it can sell. I'm expecting NSMBU numbers, although that could change if console sales improve.

StoopKid

If TLoU did around 775k how on earth did it get 3.4 million worldwide? Sounds like Sony is being disingenuous and giving shipped numbers instead of sold just like they did with UC3.

Also, number one software but still can't beat 360 in June is a massive failure on the part of John Koller and SCEA's hardware marketing team.

well this is US only and most ppl that bought the TLOU already own a ps3.

Usobuko

Banned

Not sure if it's part of Microsoft strategy but they did have minecraft (retail) to combat with Sony in order to maintain their 'best selling console for xx months' streak. Pretty smart if so, always putting some heavyweights in line with your nearest competitor when you're leading so the tag makes Xbox seem the most desirable in US, for a long period.

Maybe I'm just over crediting Microsoft since they have Gears combat with God of War in march 2013 too.

Kusagari

That'd hurt Nintendo's handheld side...you know the more valuable of the two.

Also Pokemon sells well because you can play anywhere, take it to school and trade with friends etc. I'm sure the ip will do well on a home system but not in the same vein. Similar to Animal Crossing.

I don't doubt most people play their handhelds at home but even so they all sell much better on handhelds. Pokemon, Monhun, Animal Crossing etc.

People have been clamoring for a real Pokemon game on home consoles since the N64. I think that alone would fuel a real mainline game on Wii U to unbelievable heights.

Now, I doubt it ever happens and you, and the others who mentioned it, are right that it could undercut Pokemon on handhelds.

But if everything else fails to do anything for the Wii U then it really is the only thing that Nintendo has left.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So the question is, which MGS4 number is the analyst in the OP alluding to.
Frustrating. Wish Sony would just send out a PR (ha).

Sony is always slow at it.

Also, another option for the other #1 selling June title is The SIMS 3. I forgot that it came out in the era where NPD was still tracking PC sales but weren't including them in the charts anymore.

B.O.O.M

I wish by this point people realize unless a publisher says 'sell through' in their statements, when they say 'sell' it stands for 'sold to retailers'..you know the outlets they actually do business with when it comes to physical copies. Nothing about it is being disingenuous

I see the fake npd number guy got banne

RM8

Yes it doesnt work like that but its about as good as using the wii game's sales to see how this one will do. I do think 3d world will do better this holiday
DKCR3D's success paints a nicer picture, though. Not that it'll set WiiU on fire, but I can see it performing quite well.

nib95

Banned

Most give shipped numbers. But a few things..

1. It's done much better elsewhere, namely Europe than it has in the US (it's been number one for weeks all over Europe).

2. It sold out at many places, more than once, so more copies were probably steadily shipped in. My cousins own store sold out of their 60 copies, had more in two days later, and then sold out of them too!

3. It sold really well digitally.

4. The numbers do seem like they'd be shipped, but this games going to have solid sell through and long legs.

Do we know the exact sales numbers for LoU yet?

DKCR3D's success paints a nicer picture, though. Not that it'll set WiiU on fire, but I can see it performing quite well.

But DKCR3D is on a successful system. I think it'll do ok just for the fact that it is the black friday game. I don't see it performing to the expectations they have for it to release it at black friday

Curufinwe

No it isn't. The 360 is just more popular than the PS3 in America.

prwxv3

The 3.4 includes digital

95% of numbers that any company gives are shipped numbers. It's not Sony only thing.

1. There is no data suggesting TLOU did 775k
2. 3.4m figure includes digital sales
3. Everybody reports shipped

Top Bottom