• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

ChuBoi

Banned
EviLore said:
Data care of NPD Group
Reporting Period: 2/28/2010 through 4/03/2010

PlayStation 2 118.3K
PlayStation 3 313.9K
PSP 119.9K
Xbox 360 338.4K
Wii 557.5K
Nintendo DS 700.8K

lakerslaugh.gif

Paracelsus said:
How? It barely sold 500k first month in its strongest region, and Final Fantasy games are definetely frontloaded like any other Jrpg out there. In the UK both versions are almost getting out of Top 30 and the 360 version hasn't reached 100k units yet. In the PAL market as a whole 360 version was out of most if not all but the UK top 10/30 in less than a month.
Lifetime sales it will probably hit a million. The Elephant in the room though is FF13 Japan numbers, the gap between the 360 and PS3 version will be large. Even if it were released on 360 in Japan, the same situation would still play out.

mr_nothin

Banned
EagleEyes said:
Don't start that. I'm just north of you and the PS3 stock has been plentiful here for at least a month.
Anecdotal? I mean, I did say that for a reason.
Where do you stay where they have plentiful? Im looking for one.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Cheer up PSP! At least you beat PS2!

Swittcher said:
And thus Ubisoft learns that having a really shitty launch game, and not advertising it's much improved sequel almost 4 years later....does NOT RESULT IN GOOD SALES NUMBERS.
What? I rarely see video game commercials on TV but I have seen the Red Steel 2 commercial like 10 times.

jett said:
It outsould GOW1's first month by 700k+ and GOW2's by 200k+ on a substantially smaller install base. Perspective, duder.

Didn't Halo 3 outsell Halo 1 and Halo 2 also, and on a smaller install base? How is this argument valid when you're riding a very successful franchise's wave?

If anything, God of War 3 did very well, but the argument about the install base is not a valid one considering past achievement such as Madden, Halo and Pokemon franchise.

Baki

jett said:
It outsould GOW1's first month by 700k+ and GOW2's by 200k+ on a substantially smaller install base. Perspective, duder.

I think the most significant factor was the shortages + other title released within the month.

In other words, considering BF:BC2 + FFXIII were released that month. GoWIII did pretty well. :D

[Nintex] said:
It's like two chicks at the same time, Nintendo wants it all and without a competitive PSP the high-end portable gaming market is wide open.
Yeah, I guess it will be interesting to see how those two will cohabit^^

xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx said:
Whoa, massive GoW3 and FFXIII sales vault PS3 into third place!

Good numbers for Battlefield 360, just 3k less than FFXIII PS3.

DS in its own league, Wii back to beating the entire Sony PlayStation Family's combined sales.

Sony need to take the PS3 and PSP out back and put them out of their misery.

That's a typo, I meant PS2 :lol

shwimpy said:
Considering GOW3 is ~8 hour game, I'd say it's quite the accomplishment.

So are you saying that if they had made GoW3 a 10 hour game, sales would have increased by hundreds of thousands?

TheDuce22

Banned
Swittcher said:
And thus Ubisoft learns that having a really shitty launch game, and not advertising it's much improved sequel almost 4 years later....does NOT RESULT IN GOOD SALES NUMBERS.

If anything they learned not to waste time and money attempting to cater to a market that doesnt exist on the Wii.

evangd007

Jaded Alyx said:
It was advertised quite a fair bit compared to most third-party Wii games.

You know that doesn't mean much.

Mt Heart Attack said:
And of course, DS is a beast. Pokémon is a beast. Why bother releasing the 3DS? That thing could sell forever.

Release the successor while the predecessor is still popular. That way the new product benefits from the old product's popularity.

Curufinwe

Kolgar said:
Going multiplatform increased their sales by 50%. What do you think?

If FFXIII was a PS3 exclusive, some of the people who bought it on a 360 would have bought it on the PS3. Pure speculation on my part, but I think it could have a sold close to a million just on the PS3.

That's still well below it's actual combined total, but you can't say every single 360 sale is a sale that wouldn't have happened.

Elios83

snoopeasystreet said:
Great software month for Sony.

Just wondering what Sony's reason is for hardware shortages? You'd think they'd be doing everything they can to get as many PS3's out there to sell in a month march.

PS3 shortages issue is due to two planned hardware revisions this year to cut costs. The first one was in spring (new Slim model is already out), next one will be in early fall. They didn't anticipate that they could have demand exceeding 400k units during the slow months of the year.
Even in this case it will be interesting to see how many PS3 units they plan to manufacture during the next fiscal year (April 2010-March 2011).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Mt Heart Attack said:
Yeah, I guess it will be interesting to see how those two will cohabit^^

Well, the PS2 still sells as much as the PSP while the PS3 has been out for about 6 million years, so maybe it'll be like that. Of course the 3ds will actually be backwards compatible...

Road

schuelma said:
Pretty low probably. The MW2/NSMB Wii arguments look pretty silly right now:lol Anyone have the LTD handy?
Since we don't have MW2's numbers for this month:

MW2-360 - 6.5~6.8M
NSMBW - 5.9M
MW2-PS3 - 3.5~3.8M

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is now the second-best-selling game of all time, after Wii Play
More here: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/npd-god-of-war-iii-ffxiii-pokemon-battlefield-drive-march-gains/

EDIT: More info on MW2:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 sold about 395,000 copies, Pachter says.
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...d-bad-company-2-top-march-video-game-sales-/1

Massa

neutralgamer02 said:
It is kind of crazy though. Sony has not lifted a finger in the west concerning the psp since it announced the psp go. No price cuts, no relaunch, no nothing. Pathetic. What is the incentive to be an early adopter of the psp2 when the result could be the same.

Since the PSP Go? The PSP's last price cut was over three years ago.

Serenity

xbhaskarx said:
Whoa, massive GoW3 and FFXIII sales vault PS3 into third place!

Good numbers for Battlefield 360, just 3k less than FFXIII PS3.

DS in its own league, Wii back to beating the entire Sony PlayStation Family's combined sales.

Sony need to take the PS3 and PSP out back and put them out of their misery.

xbhaskarx said:
GoW3 not quite as impressive when you put it like that...

obsession

TheDuce22

Banned
elrechazao said:
You're quite personally invested in this it seems. Are you the sony shortages community manager?

Well he has been making sure to get some shortage comment in on every page. :lol

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Draft said:
Xbox won the month despite the biggest first and third party PS3 titles of the year being released. What's to spin?

How so? HW sales are practically even Stevens and PS3 is owning the software charts this month, plus PS3 YoY sales are alot higher, this while the PS3 is having supply issues.

elrechazao said:
You're quite personally invested in this it seems. Are you the sony shortages community manager?

Haven't you only recently just been unbanned?

Cruzader

Banned
Let say:

-GOW3 sales <500K = "OMG Fail"

Now:

-GOW3 sales >1Mil = "Wtf so low...FAIL!"

First PS3 title to reach those sale w/HW stock issues and FF13/BC2 competing software and ppls are not happy? :lol

Paracelsus said:

It'll sell another 150k in the US over the course of ever; that puts it at 650k. 125k life-end in the UK puts it at 775k. Say 125k over the rest of Europe (I do not at all believe this is an impossible number to achieve), so, okay, call it 900k worldwide, with probably 1 million-ish shipped. That's a fairly conservative estimate with info we have on hand.

CrushDance said:
Lifetime sales it will probably hit a million. The Elephant in the room though is FF13 Japan numbers, the gap between the 360 and PS3 version will be large.

The gap is pretty much irrelevant. This is just the reverse situation from when PS3 owners were -- quite rightly -- arguing that if some shooter sells 1m on 360 and 300k on PS3 or whatever it was still worth porting. Almost any game that doesn't outright bomb on one platform or the other is worth porting the way things work this generation, even if the numbers are still quite lopsided.

xbhaskarx said:
GoW3 not quite as impressive when you put it like that...

How about when you say "God of War is a franchise that debuted five years ago doing like 350k in its first month"?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Expected more from FF13, not too surprised that it didn't sell on the 360. It's obvious 360 fans don't want RPGs.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Technosteve said:
only time i want PC NPD numbers, I want to see how much the master race purchased BFBC2
They said it outsold both console versions combined on PC so I assume it did pretty well.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
TheDuce22 said:
If anything they learned not to waste time and money attempting to cater to a market that doesnt exist on the Wii.
The only excuse I can think of for Red Steel 2 not doing to well is because of the quality of the game that preceded it. Besides that, it really had nothing else working against it.

Top Bottom