• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

Oyashiro

:lol PS2 almost outsold PSP. That's... wow.

Also, god damn. At this point, everyone in the world must own a DS. Seriously, crazy numbers.

RoboPlato said:
They said it outsold both console versions combined on PC so I assume it did pretty well.
That would be a pretty amazing number for a pc game. Wouldn't they be touting the exact numbers for the pc if it sold over a million on the pc alone?

RBH

Draft said:
I said released this year.
73o5sn.gif

mr_nothin

Banned
EagleEyes said:
Come on up to Kennesaw. They're everywhere.
D:
That's a little far...even for "atlanta travel" standards. Nearly 2 hour round trip to spend monies! May have to end up making that trip though, craigslist prices are ridiculous.

sticksave

Neo Member
Elios83 said:
PS3 shortages issue is due to two planned hardware revisions this year to cut costs. The first one was in spring (new Slim model is already out), next one will be in early fall. They didn't anticipate that they could have demand exceeding 400k units during the slow months of the year.
Even in this case it will be interesting to see how many PS3 units they plan to manufacture during the next fiscal year (April 2010-March 2011).

Seriously Sony couldn't anticipate that with GOW3 and FFXIII coming out there could be some fairly decent hardware demand? If that's the case then they have some pretty piss poor management, oh wait they do have some pretty piss poor management nevermind

MightyHedgehog said:
Wait! When did game length have anything to do with game sales?

I would hope people care about value when they make their purchase. I mean, let's face it, God of War has always been short on replay value.

That said, I guarantee sales are going to drop sharply until it becomes a Greatest Hits. It's still a great number though

mr_nothin said:
D:
That's a little far...even for "atlanta travel" standards. Nearly 2 hour round trip to spend monies! May have to end up making that trip though, craigslist prices are ridiculous.
Why not buy one on amazon or gamestop, in stock at both places for 299...I'm in the market myself, just waiting for a sale or a deal somewhere because I'm cheap. My 60 gigger finally died. My local walmart and kmart both have them in stock as well.

Curufinwe said:
That's still well below it's actual combined total, but you can't say every single 360 sale is a sale that wouldn't have happened.

Not every single one, no, but seriously, who bought FFXIII on 360 when they owned a PS3? Even with the actual game itself being a functionally playable port, the difference in the cutscenes is criminal.

Dabanton

djtiesto said:
Expected more from FF13, not too surprised that it didn't sell on the 360. It's obvious 360 fans don't want RPGs.

How does that make sense?
we could easily flip your comment and say

djtiesto said:
Expected more from BFBC2, not too surprised that it didn't sell on the PS3. It's obvious PS3 fans don't want FPSs.

You see how dumb that is.

Draft said:
I said released this year.

No, you wrote the following post:

Draft said:
Xbox won the month despite the biggest first and third party PS3 titles of the year being released. What's to spin?

Quite clearly indicating that you meant titles from the entire year. And GT5 is going to be released this year.

El-Suave

Somebody at Microsoft's PR department has to have the balls to make the "We sold more FF XIII game discs than our competitor" spin.

Is NPD saying that no game has ever sold 11 million copies in NA. Cause of MW2 is the best selling game ever than that is what they are saying. Wow.

Wii Play does not count

Elios83

sticksave said:
Seriously Sony couldn't anticipate that with GOW3 and FFXIII coming out there could be some fairly decent hardware demand? If that's the case then they have some pretty piss poor management, oh wait they do have some pretty piss poor management nevermind

They probably have :lol :lol All their planned inventory for the January-March period is 2.3-2.5m units WW based on their FY forecast. So basically let's say 1m for NA, 1M for SCEE countries, 500k for Japan and other asian countries.
That's 333k monthly units on average for US which is what we're getting.

djtiesto said:
Expected more from FF13, not too surprised that it didn't sell on the 360. It's obvious 360 fans don't want RPGs.

It's a big increase from the first month sales of XII, so I think everyone should be happy with this number. I would guess that this is probably the largest first month sales in franchise history in the US.

The game also sold perfectly fine on the 360, so I don't think it proves that '360 fans don't want RPGs'. When you consider the massive difference in graphics, it's impressive that nearly 500,000 people bought the game on the 360.

RoboPlato said:
They said it outsold both console versions combined on PC so I assume it did pretty well.

Actually they said it had more players...there's a key difference..not making any assertions about piracy just that it's an ambiguous statement.

btw: PC currently has more people playing and are in game servers than both the consoles.

Noticed on Kotaku that this post was taken the wrong way. The PC had more players than either console not more than both consoles combined. You'll need to work to beat both consoles combined effort

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
El-Suave said:
Somebody at Microsoft's PR department has to have the balls to make the "We sold more FF XIII game discs than our competitor" spin.
That would be amazing.

So just another example in reverse for how third-party exclusives on the HD systems are just not particularly sensible in this day and age:

MASS EFFECT 2* 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jan-10 572.1K

Final Fantasy XII's first month on 360 alone is 86% of ME2's total on all the consoles it was available on.

J-Rzez

Draft said:
Xbox won the month despite the biggest first and third party PS3 titles of the year being released. What's to spin?

Nope. Sorry. GT5 is the biggest franchise Sony has. Still impressive what they got considering the shortages. These threads are fun though!

xbhaskarx said:
GoW3 not quite as impressive when you put it like that...

How about that it sold that well not in a full month, and on the platform with the lowest install base out of those titles that sold more in accumulation across multiplatforms or multiple versions of the same game? I'm sure you won't like to think it that way though.

evolution

Im honestly surprised by the gap in FF13 software. Virtually no PS3 related marketing and it still comes out on top by that much. It seems FF will be a playstation centric franchise for a little while longer.

ReiGun

Hey this NPD thread didn't totally destroy Gaf. Good shit.

Just came in to celebrate the victory of Superior Silver over that other version. :D

Galactic Fork said:
Well, the PS2 still sells as much as the PSP while the PS3 has been out for about 6 million years, so maybe it'll be like that. Of course the 3ds will actually be backwards compatible...
Well I have a feeling that Nintendo expects the 3DS to sell considerably better than the Ps3 :p
I mean, maybe part of the continued success of the Ps2 is due to the failure that was the launch of the Ps3.. Sony screwed up the generational leap so the old, cheaper, immensely popular console continues to sell..
but yeah, I think that most will depend on what Nintendo actually has in mind for the DS, on what kind of support Nintendo is planning to offer to its old handheld after the 3DS launches:/

Mindlog

J-Rzez said:
Nope. Sorry. GT5 is the biggest franchise Sony has. Still impressive what they got considering the shortages. These threads are fun though!

Stunning analysis and critical thinking abounds.

EmCeeGramr said:

Damned shame about BC2. I was certainly hoping for bigger sales.

Vizion28

Banned
I expected the Wii to be back on top since supply issue has been alleviated.

I was surprised to see several Wiis at my local Fry's.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Top Bottom