• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

GoW3 only sold 1.1 million? And no, I'm not fucking being sarcastic or whatever. If you had a clue at all it was automatically at 1 million, without thinking. I'm honestly surprised, I came in here expecting significantly higher.

Swittcher

Banned
And thus Ubisoft learns that having a really shitty launch game, and not advertising it's much improved sequel almost 4 years later....does NOT RESULT IN GOOD SALES NUMBERS.

Hex

Banned
miladesn said:
FF13 360 numbers doesn't include copies bundled with the special edtion console, right?, the ratio is closer to 40:60.

I always thought that NPD did include bundles

Edit nope- (*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

jett

D-Member
Zophar said:
That's sort of specious. Who's to say the 360 version didn't just cannibalize PS3 sales?

Well Microsoft surely appreciates the 6 million that's going into their pocket(pachter sez $12 goes to the console owner). Wonder how much they paid for the american and european ads, and any aditional moneyhats.

p.s. doing pachtermaths would mean GOW3's has made Sony 52.8 million in March just in America, discounting the stores' percentage. Success!

Elios83 said:
PSP is dying....PS2 is about to surpass it. Just cut the price significantly or (and?) announce PSP2, it's time.

It is kind of crazy though. Sony has not lifted a finger in the west concerning the psp since it announced the psp go. No price cuts, no relaunch, no nothing. Pathetic. What is the incentive to be an early adopter of the psp2 when the result could be the same.

J-Rzez said:
GoW3 sales are very well deserved. Hope it keeps raking in the sales it deserves, and keeps the funding going into those killer studios.

They really need to sort their shortage issues out though for the PS3. Considering my one friend that finally took the plunge for GoW3, U2, FFXIII (meh), and MAG had to drive almost 2 hours away to get to a store that had one in stock for his impulse buy (income tax refund lol), they need to get on this. I didn't think it was that bad.
I didn't get my PS3 till last week ;_;

jett

D-Member
Son of Godzilla said:
GoW3 only sold 1.1 million? And no, I'm not fucking being sarcastic or whatever. If you had a clue at all it was automatically at 1 million, without thinking. I'm honestly surprised, I came in here expecting significantly higher.

It outsould GOW1's first month by 700k+ and GOW2's by 200k+ on a substantially smaller install base. Perspective, duder.

Hex

Banned
jett said:
Well Microsoft surely appreciates the 6 million that's going into their pocket(pachter sez $12 goes to the console owner). Wonder how much they paid for the american and european ads, and any aditional moneyhats.

p.s. doing pachtermaths would mean GOW3's has made Sony 52.8 million in March just in America, discounting the stores' percentage. Success!

Microsoft deserves the shaft on FFXIII after that god damned song and ad they ran for the game that made my cringe every time it was on.

El-Suave

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't understand why people are ignoring the benefits for SE. MS clearly gave them marketing money. It's not just software profits on the table here, putting the game on the 360 saved SE costs.

True, considering how it turned out in the end as far as release dates go, Sony had more than enough own games to advertise not to mention very few additional consoles to sell to people who might just be getting into this generation for the new FF game.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
neutralgamer02 said:
PlayStation 2 118.3K
PSP 119.9K

That is pretty depressing. Only a matter of time before the ps2 starts outselling the psp. Time to pull the plug?

No, it's time to pull the battery.

RBH said:
I'm praying that Deadly Premonition managed to get into the Top 20.
Seems doubtful, though I'd just like to see it be a success...which I have to believe it is considering that it was released at $20 and has probably seen rising sales since release. The Giant Bomb ER and buzz it has gotten since release can't be anything but good for sales and just visibility of a game most people didn't even know existed.

Swittcher said:
And thus Ubisoft learns that having a really shitty launch game, and not advertising it's much improved sequel almost 4 years later....does NOT RESULT IN GOOD SALES NUMBERS.
It was advertised quite a fair bit compared to most third-party Wii games.

POKEMON SOULSILVER VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10 1.02M
POKEMON HEARTGOLD VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10 761.2K

Silver leagues above Gold? All is right with the world.

Good numbers for software.

But I must say I'm pretty astonished by the Wii sales, more than 500k without a single relevant game coming out. Wll, I guess that Nintendo really succeeded in putting the Wii back on track with the price cut and NSMB.

And of course, DS is a beast. Pokémon is a beast. Why bother releasing the 3DS? That thing could sell forever.

wizword said:
So how does this change the fact that it got outsold by its two competitors?

It doesn't, it's just that that's mostly irrelevant now. The PS3 sells within throwing distance of the 360 now, it finally sells software well, it can beat the 360 on the right multiplatform games by a big margin -- the 6m cushion between 360 and PS3 is not tremendously relevant to Sony's business at this point, so as long as they can stay relatively close monthly they're not going to be too upset about it.

Baki said:
People need to stop doing this. The PS3 install base (for hardcore games) is at a point where the install base is not a limiting factor.

Correct.

DaveTheSnake said:
It was worth it to MS to least delay the release of it on the PS3 IMHO.

FFXIII would've come out at the exact same fucking time in the US if it were PS3 exclusive. :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
which some would call a great year, but for us it represents just the first quarter of many anticipated games like ModNation Racers, Gran Turismo 5, and others we have yet to announce this year. "
Heh

Elios83

neutralgamer02 said:
It is kind of crazy though. Sony has not lifted a finger in the west concerning the psp since it announced the psp go. No price cuts, no relaunch, no nothing. Pathetic. What is the incentive to be an early adopter of the psp2 when the result could be the same.

I guess they probably had their hands tied. They went aggressive with the PS3 and they couldn't afford to lose significant margin on PSP too, although with sales that low, they would probably make more money selling it at a lower price.
It will be interesting to see their PSP forecast for the next fiscal year.

Paracelsus

charlequin said:
The 360 version is probably going to move a million copies worldwide

How? It barely sold 500k first month in its strongest region, and Final Fantasy games are definetely frontloaded like any other Jrpg out there. In the UK both versions are almost getting out of Top 30 and the 360 version hasn't reached 100k units yet. In the PAL market as a whole 360 version was out of most if not all but the UK top 10/30 in less than a month.

[Nintex]

Mt Heart Attack said:
And of course, DS is a beast. Pokémon is a beast. Why bother releasing the 3DS? That thing could sell forever.
It's like two chicks at the same time, Nintendo wants it all and without a competitive PSP the high-end portable gaming market is wide open.

deepbrown

Son of Godzilla said:
US only son, That 1.1 million in the US puts it at over 2 million worldwide. How many days was it on sale during the month of March?

jett said:
It outsould GOW1's first month by 700k+ and GOW2's by 200k+ on a substantially smaller install base. Perspective, duder.

The install base is kind of irrelevant at this point (the install base is big enough for AAA titles and that's all that really matters), but the fact that it grew GOW2's sales by that much is fantastic.

Baki

Swittcher said:

They advertised it in the UK and it still bombed. Did you expect anything less?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Paracelsus said:
How? It barely sold 500k first month in its strongest region, and Final Fantasy games are definetely frontloaded like any other Jrpg out there. In the UK both versions are almost getting out of Top 30 and the 360 version hasn't reached 100k units yet. In the PAL market as a whole 360 version was out of most if not all but the UK top 10/30 in less than a month.
Both versions of FFXII passed 100k during March in the UK.

Great software month for Sony.

Just wondering what Sony's reason is for hardware shortages? You'd think they'd be doing everything they can to get as many PS3's out there to sell in a month march.

Draft

DMPrince said:
how will microsoft spin this. I can't wait to see
Xbox won the month despite the biggest first and third party PS3 titles of the year being released. What's to spin?

Given these numbers and the announcement that BF:BC2 sold 2.3 million copies in NA+EU, what do you guys think were the sales numbers for the PC SKU?

Top Bottom